Facilities Announcement -- Press Conference Today

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Facilities Announcement -- Press Conference Today

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:03 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm dropping my chores of mowing the lawn and shoveling the driveway. Because paying the neighbor's kid would have cost $40 bucks each to do it, 10-12 times a year, my deciding not to do it myself anymore just saved me approximately $1,000.

Just because you have no clue how capital budgeting works within an organization doesn't mean you have to lash out at the rest of us every time reality disrupts your fantasy-Teddy-world.

My household budget is high-end, though. The butlers, valets and stratuses don't pay for themselves.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:03 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
The University will also seek permitting for new baseball, softball and intramural fields on the Brighton Campus, which were also approved in the 2009 IMP.

In addition, Bates stated that the University will begin discussions with Boston city officials regarding construction of an athletics field house that would be located adjacent to Alumni Stadium. This indoor facility, to be funded through private gifts, would provide much-needed space for varsity football and other field sports, as well as campus recreation, club sports, and intramurals.

1) What is the status of the permitting process for the new fields on Brighton Campus?

2) How are the discussions going with the city officials regarding the indoor practice facility?
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:57 am

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
The University will also seek permitting for new baseball, softball and intramural fields on the Brighton Campus, which were also approved in the 2009 IMP.

In addition, Bates stated that the University will begin discussions with Boston city officials regarding construction of an athletics field house that would be located adjacent to Alumni Stadium. This indoor facility, to be funded through private gifts, would provide much-needed space for varsity football and other field sports, as well as campus recreation, club sports, and intramurals.

1) What is the status of the permitting process for the new fields on Brighton Campus?

2) How are the discussions going with the city officials regarding the indoor practice facility?

SHOW US THE PERMITS, YOU COWARDS!!!
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Apr 25, 2016 12:07 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

SHOW US THE PERMITS, YOU COWARDS!!!

they're probably in the front pocket of the pants of a wellesley attorney... and are now likely delicious as a result
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:04 am

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:23 am

What does: "What was expected to be a blessing for Boston College Athletics in a year when little else has gone right may not have as bright of an ending." have to do with the rest of the article?

Unless you are one of the 8 people who care about BC swimming and diving, or are Hansen?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:27 am

I still haven't noticed the BC Swim team.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:33 am

I have heard discouraging things about the BC swimming/diving coaches' past relationships with students. There, I said it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:35 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:http://bcheights.com/news/athletics-news/2016/bc-swimming-worried-new-pool-program-future-tom-groden-brad-bates/

This will upset many on this board that enjoyed the swimmers in banana hammocks. I am not one of those posters
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:57 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:http://bcheights.com/news/athletics-news/2016/bc-swimming-worried-new-pool-program-future-tom-groden-brad-bates/

This will upset many on this board that enjoyed the swimmers in banana hammocks. I am not one of those posters

Hints at cutting up to 17 sports.

Also, doesn't sound like there will be any type of independent basketball facility built into this (similar to what ND is doing with their proposed basketball facility).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:02 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:What does: "What was expected to be a blessing for Boston College Athletics in a year when little else has gone right may not have as bright of an ending." have to do with the rest of the article?

Unless you are one of the 8 people who care about BC swimming and diving, or are Hansen?

Hansen doesn't really care about swimming and diving. He supports keeping the program only in that student-athletes should be given the chance to compete while attending such a prestigious school as our beloved alma mater.

If I understand this anger correctly, the coach is pissed that the school will not be able to support an optional NCAA meet event that will lead to meets taking an extra 1.5 hours. Otherwise, the pool will be the same as the existing one? :bored

I would like to point out that the track team hasn't had a track capable of supporting ANY on campus events since 1994 or so it seems this fucker has it better than some sports.

I don't see BC cutting 18 sports in my lifetime unless the politics have greatly changed since I attended roughly 15 years ago. Considering most of the same people are still in charge, I would find this highly improbable.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby ckoub01 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:53 am

I loved Groden's take on how there would be a silent majority "backlash" because of a lack of diving boards on the final proposal. I'm sure that would rocket past the 0-ACC in terms of pressing AD issues.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:25 am

ckoub01 {l Wrote}:

I loved Groden's take on how there would be a silent majority "backlash" because of a lack of diving boards on the final proposal. I'm sure that would rocket past the 0-ACC in terms of pressing AD issues.

It's so incredibly backwards when this guy/program is so outwardly vocal (in the heights, independent petitions) about a diving board when the football program still doesn't have an indoor building, the hockey program(s) don't have a practice rink, and to a lesser extent, the basketball program doesn't have an independent building.

The bottom line is, any "silent majority" backlash would be short lived. Providence dropped a successful baseball program, and 5-7 years later, nobody cared. Of course there will be swim/dive alumni who will be angry in the near term, but 2-3 years down the road nobody will remember or care. Same goes for the other sports BC should drop (golf, tennis, skiing, fencing, etc).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:02 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
ckoub01 {l Wrote}:

It's so incredibly backwards when this guy/program is so outwardly vocal (in the heights, independent petitions) about a diving board when the football program still doesn't have an indoor building, the hockey program(s) don't have a practice rink, and to a lesser extent, the basketball program doesn't have an independent building.

The bottom line is, any "silent majority" backlash would be short lived. Providence dropped a successful baseball program, and 5-7 years later, nobody cared. Of course there will be swim/dive alumni who will be angry in the near term, but 2-3 years down the road nobody will remember or care. Same goes for the other sports BC should drop (golf, tennis, skiing, fencing, etc).

Due to money, politics, lack of available space, etc, Bates and company only get one chance to make these types of decisions. Building a half-assed version of what the swimming program needs pretty much is the death knell of that program. I don't care about that, but Bates should at least have the balls to admit that if it is true. If the end of the swimming/diving program is not the intention, why would you construct a venue that is not sufficient to meet even the basic needs of the program? Why waste the money? My gut feeling on this is that they forgot to put the diving board into the design of the new building and didn't realize it until it was too late to change it. I don't know if this is true, but it fits the pattern that has haunted the BC athletic department for some time now.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:06 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
ckoub01 {l Wrote}:

Due to money, politics, lack of available space, etc, Bates and company only get one chance to make these types of decisions. Building a half-assed version of what the swimming program needs pretty much is the death knell of that program. I don't care about that, but Bates should at least have the balls to admit that if it is true. If the end of the swimming/diving program is not the intention, why would you construct a venue that is not sufficient to meet even the basic needs of the program? Why waste the money? My gut feeling on this is that they forgot to put the diving board into the design of the new building and didn't realize it until it was too late to change it. I don't know if this is true, but it fits the pattern that has haunted the BC athletic department for some time now.

The only thing that bothers me really about the swim/dive thing is not that it doesn't meet the basic needs, but that they went with no sufficient diving board and seating for spectators. If it was one or the other, I'd say ok they are doing away with the swimming program, who cares; or, they are building a new facility for the swim team to continue to use, who cares. But it's both, so they are wasting money/space in one way or another.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Fwiw, I think the program may be able to exist w/o the diving element. Just as an example, Miami only sponsors a men's diving team and have no "swim" athletes, while their women's side has both. I have no idea how swim meets are scored (cumulative, event by event), but maybe BC will simply sponsor swim for both sides and eliminate the dive portion ?

I really have no clue, but I also don't understand the insistence to keep the program when nobody is on scholarship. It's puts the athletes/coaches at such a disadvantage why even continue ? This coach continues to reference that every scholarship record had been broken by a non-scholarship athlete, but when you're consistently finishing last vs national/ACC competition (who have numerous advantages), does that really matter. That's the main issue I see, BC just can't be competitive on a national level, in many cases because of geography, so why continue. There is enough data to prove the lack of competitiveness and make a case to shut down a number of sports (and strengthen the ones that BC is currently positioned well in).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:50 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Fwiw, I think the program may be able to exist w/o the diving element. Just as an example, Miami only sponsors a men's diving team and have no "swim" athletes, while their women's side has both. I have no idea how swim meets are scored (cumulative, event by event), but maybe BC will simply sponsor swim for both sides and eliminate the dive portion ?

I really have no clue, but I also don't understand the insistence to keep the program when nobody is on scholarship. It's puts the athletes/coaches at such a disadvantage why even continue ? This coach continues to reference that every scholarship record had been broken by a non-scholarship athlete, but when you're consistently finishing last vs national/ACC competition (who have numerous advantages), does that really matter. That's the main issue I see, BC just can't be competitive on a national level, in many cases because of geography, so why continue. There is enough data to prove the lack of competitiveness and make a case to shut down a number of sports (and strengthen the ones that BC is currently positioned well in).

Agreed 100% here. I've been saying baseball and softball need to go for a while along with some of these other stupid sports. I'd rather be good at 10 sports than suck at 30
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:58 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Fwiw, I think the program may be able to exist w/o the diving element. Just as an example, Miami only sponsors a men's diving team and have no "swim" athletes, while their women's side has both. I have no idea how swim meets are scored (cumulative, event by event), but maybe BC will simply sponsor swim for both sides and eliminate the dive portion ?

Agreed 100% here. I've been saying baseball and softball need to go for a while along with some of these other stupid sports. I'd rather be good at 10 sports than suck at 30

That's assuming that they take the money and resources saved from eliminating the 20 programs and put it into the remaining 10. Not gonna happen.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:03 pm

They'll use it to pay off all the bad debt they incurred trying to pay for all those $60,000 scholarships.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They'll use it to pay off all the bad debt they incurred trying to pay for all those $60,000 scholarships.

bitcoins
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:46 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

While I give baseball (and softball for that matter) a pass on being on the chopping block, it really wouldn't bother me either way. There is actually decent baseball talent in the Northeast (but they're going to Vanderbilt because they don't want to play on a tailgate lot and I don't blame them). If making a list of the sports that should go, I'd say first tier should be M/W Golf, M/W Tennis, M/W Swim & Dive, Rowing, M/W Skiing and M/W Track & Field. I have no clue how that changes the Title IX stuff or if it would be feasible (mainly because I don't know what sports get scholarships and how many they receive). If scholarships/resources aren't being provided to these programs, and people are so concerned about giving the students the opportunity to compete, let them compete as club sports and raise their own money (from the alumni who, according to the S/D coach, represent a silent majority).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:24 am

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

That's assuming that they take the money and resources saved from eliminating the 20 programs and put it into the remaining 10. Not gonna happen.

1. This

2. It is my understanding that a lot of the Olympic sports do fundraising to offset the gap in funding from BC. I do not know all the details but my inbox is constantly bombarded about them.

3. Close to 1/8 the student body participates in a varsity sport. If you do away with 20 sports, you risk alienating a lot of alumni who participating in said sports which will effect donations to the school. And, typically a lot of these Olympic sports participants are students first and foremost so they've probably risen the career ladder and make decent coin. With this said and Wang's dead on analysis above, I just do not see the benefits of cutting the sports.

4. philly intern latest posting gimmick is jhiggi-level.

5. eepstein has a micropenis.
Last edited by hansen on Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:05 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

1. This

2. It is my understanding that a lot of the Olympic sports do fundraising to offset the gap in funding from BC. I do not know all the details but my inbox is constantly bombarded about them.

3. Close to 1/8 the student body participates in a varsity sport. If you do away with 20 sports, you risk alienating a lot of alumni who participating in said sports which will effect donations to the school. And, typically a lot of these Olympic sports participants are students first and foremost so they've probably risen the career ladder and make decent coin. With this said and Wang's dead on analysis above, I just do not see the benefits of cutting the sports.

The money has to flow somewhere. There is no way that after Gene lining his pockets for years, the BOD will let the savings go to Bates salary. I don't know how anyone can definitely say the money won't go to the surviving sports. If they cut 20 sports and the savings over a few years go to the Indoor Facility, that's a net positive. If they go to upgrading the FB locker rooms or weight room, hockey's facilities, etc that's a net positive.

Personally, I can't envision that any reduction in giving from cut sports will not be significant enough to offset the benefit of cutting said sports
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Apr 30, 2016 1:01 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

1. This

The money has to flow somewhere. There is no way that after Gene lining his pockets for years, the BOD will let the savings go to Bates salary. I don't know how anyone can definitely say the money won't go to the surviving sports. If they cut 20 sports and the savings over a few years go to the Indoor Facility, that's a net positive. If they go to upgrading the FB locker rooms or weight room, hockey's facilities, etc that's a net positive.

Personally, I can't envision that any reduction in giving from cut sports will not be significant enough to offset the benefit of cutting said sports

It will just mean less money is given to the BC athletic department from the general coffers.
One step closer to further decimating the athletics department and playing Holy Cross annually in football...

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sun May 01, 2016 8:29 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:My gut feeling on this is that they forgot to put the diving board into the design of the new building and didn't realize it until it was too late to change it. I don't know if this is true, but it fits the pattern that has haunted the BC athletic department for some time now.

This is exactly it. More Mickey Mouse bullshit.

Maybe the next version of the ATHLETIC MASTER AWESOME PLAN BROUGHT TO YOU BY JOSTEN'S will feature a new football stadium with only one endzone.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun May 01, 2016 9:45 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:My gut feeling on this is that they forgot to put the diving board into the design of the new building and didn't realize it until it was too late to change it. I don't know if this is true, but it fits the pattern that has haunted the BC athletic department for some time now.

Maybe the next version of the ATHLETIC MASTER AWESOME PLAN BROUGHT TO YOU BY JOSTEN'S will feature a new football stadium with only one endzone.

Hopefully the end zone will be for the other team since sarge can't find ours
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Logitano on Mon May 02, 2016 7:38 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:

Hopefully the end zone will be for the other team since sarge can't find ours

:whammy :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Tue May 10, 2016 5:56 pm

Celtics building a practice facility in Allston-Brighton, construction beginning this fall. If only another practice facility could get off the ground that quickly...

https://twitter.com/celticshub/status/7 ... 9032404992
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle33 on Tue May 10, 2016 6:47 pm

Rutgres raised 50 million in the past 4 months for facilities upgrades.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/college_basketball/2016/05/rutgers_raises_50_million_in_4_months_for_athletics

How is Bates doing at fundraising?
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue May 10, 2016 7:37 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Rutgres raised 50 million in the past 4 months for facilities upgrades.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/college_basketball/2016/05/rutgers_raises_50_million_in_4_months_for_athletics

How is Bates doing at fundraising?

Bates is a disaster and his time at the Heights likely ends with the expiration of his initial contract. He will be remembered as the final Leahy-Sullivan failed duopoly hire.

That said, while Rutgers is lauding the most donations in its history, let's note that it is really only slightly less than $30mm. They get to the $50mm through tax credits awarded via Trump's handmaiden.

Athletic director Patrick Hobbs said the university has received more than $29.3 million in cash and pledges since the fundraising drive started after Gov. Chris Christie signed legislation granting $25 million of tax credits toward the building of a multisport training center — the centerpiece of the three projects in the master plan that was announced on Jan. 20.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium