Ben Albert Gone

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Ben Albert Gone

Postby commavegarage on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:19 am

Off to duke

:titanic
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Re: Ben Albert Gone

Postby ILikeBC on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:21 am

This is also not that big of a deal.

Albert was even less valuable a recruiter than Fitch
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:23 am

This is more of a surprise to me especially considering his relationship with Jim Reid (played for him at Umass)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:51 am

Jim Reid relationship aside, Ben Albert was not good. I posted this many times (especially the fools who promoted his assession to be Brown's replacement as DC).

Fitch, at least, recruited. He was, however, a terrible... and I mean TERRIBLE... offensive coordinator.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:54 am

BC Twitter Account just announced the replacements:

Paul Pasqualani and Richie Guns
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:17 am

Ben Albert's twitter posts were weird.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby durkcal on Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Jim Reid relationship aside, Ben Albert was not good. I posted this many times (especially the fools who promoted his assession to be Brown's replacement as DC).

Fitch, at least, recruited. He was, however, a terrible... and I mean TERRIBLE... offensive coordinator.

How do you justify saying that Albert was not good? Players under his assignment consistently improved. Wujciak, Gutapfel, Landry, Kavalec....Are you simply going by recruiting? Others can handle recruiting. It makes little sense to devalue the Assistants that actually get the most production out of their players.

Albert may not have worked out as DC. We will never know.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:59 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Jim Reid relationship aside, Ben Albert was not good. I posted this many times (especially the fools who promoted his assession to be Brown's replacement as DC).

How do you justify saying that Albert was not good? Players under his assignment consistently improved. Wujciak, Gutapfel, Landry, Kavalec....Are you simply going by recruiting? Others can handle recruiting. It makes little sense to devalue the Assistants that actually get the most production out of their players.

Albert may not have worked out as DC. We will never know.

I don't really know how HJS has reached his conclusion, but he has been saying it for awhile. It is hard to tell IMO, whether the DL improvement was the result in 1) improved talent; 2) the scheme (thus Brown); or 3) improved technique (Albert).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Talent is certainly a big part of it, but I have no opinion on Albert being a plus or a minus in terms of teaching gap technique. Jesus.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:25 am

My understanding has always been that the Grad Assistants and Brownie spent an outsized amount of time teaching DL. It has also been my understanding that Dazoo has not held him in regard (his inability to recruit a single player being a major factor).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:48 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:My understanding has always been that the Grad Assistants and Brownie spent an outsized amount of time teaching DL. It has also been my understanding that Dazoo has not held him in regard (his inability to recruit a single player being a major factor).

for whatever its worth, Landry tweeted:
HAROLD LANDRY III
‏@HAROLDLANDRY2
Duke just got one of the greatest D-Line coaches in America. Appreciate the time i got to learn from you #BCRushmen
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:58 pm

Well... he would certainly know better than I. I'm just saying what I've heard a couple of years now. Nonetheless , I still think PP is an upgrade.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:05 pm

Is there a single player on our roster who'd say "I came to BC because of the great relationship I established with Ben Albert during my senior year of high school" ?
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:42 pm

25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:My understanding has always been that the Grad Assistants and Brownie spent an outsized amount of time teaching DL. It has also been my understanding that Dazoo has not held him in regard (his inability to recruit a single player being a major factor).

HAROLD LANDRY III
‏@HAROLDLANDRY2
Duke just got one of the greatest D-Line coaches in America. Appreciate the time i got to learn from you #BCRushmen

Also just a classy thing to say. Is it possible that at BC we teach our players how to be classy and gracious.

Nobody seriously thinks Ben Albert is "one of the greatest" but its a nice sentiment from one of the stars of BC's DLine.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Harold Landry has always been classy and a BC guy. Not shocked he would be classy about a departing position coach.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles66 on Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:49 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:

HAROLD LANDRY III
‏@HAROLDLANDRY2

Also just a classy thing to say. Is it possible that at BC we teach our players how to be classy and gracious.

Nobody seriously thinks Ben Albert is "one of the greatest" but its a nice sentiment from one of the stars of BC's DLine.

Come on now. I get the BC-maturity line, but that's a strong statement from a player, and I am definitely taking that statement with more weight than some middle-aged posters. When Brown left, I believe Landry simply said something like "we'll be fine." Could've gone the same route with Coach Albert but instead heaped very high praise.

I agree it doesn't look like Albert recruited much (if at all), but on the flip side we have coaches who recruit and cannot coach.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:35 am

BCEagles66 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:

HAROLD LANDRY III
‏@HAROLDLANDRY2

Come on now. I get the BC-maturity line, but that's a strong statement from a player, and I am definitely taking that statement with more weight than some middle-aged posters. When Brown left, I believe Landry simply said something like "we'll be fine." Could've gone the same route with Coach Albert but instead heaped very high praise.

I agree it doesn't look like Albert recruited much (if at all), but on the flip side we have coaches who recruit and cannot coach.

I have no doubt that Landry enjoyed playing for and learned a lot from Albert. But try not to read too much into this tweet. After all, what's Landry's frame of reference? He's had one DL coach during his short college career. Other than that, he had high school coaches. Albert probably was the best position coach Landry has played for. But that doesn't mean Albert is a particularly great DL coach relative to other college coaches.

Albert was liked and respected by his players and this is a classy message from Landry, that's all that you should take from the tweet.

Let's see how he feels about his second ever DL coach, who has an unquestionably better resume than Albert...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium