Luke

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Luke

Postby cremins on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:01 am

a serious question, I know its just a short career so far but is luke the best bc player to play in the nfl?
flutie was the best while in college but luke has to have had the best career.
art Donovan is in the hall of fame so I guess he takes the cake
cremins
Carney Hall

Re: Luke

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:11 am

Excluding linemen? If so, there is not much to compete with him. Romanowski, Boyd, Brennan, Joe Nash
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:11 am

If Luke would've played on a better BC team and stayed for a 4th year, he would've been considered the best player in BC football history.

As is, especially since he came back to finish his degree in the NFL offseasons, he should be a lock to have his jersey retired. Just my $0.02.
Last edited by dtwalrus on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:13 am

Matt Ryan obviously
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:20 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Excluding linemen? If so, there is not much to compete with him. Romanowski, Boyd, Brennan, Joe Nash

first round draft pick mike mamula? will solomon. raji?

but in reality, the discussion is between matt and luke... and i'd give the nod to luke (but likely just because their offense is hot and cam wears some sweet ass pants)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby bcshater on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:06 pm

Was thinking the same questions weeks ago. Yes the NFL career has been short thus far but my vote goes to Luke, providing that his play continues like it has.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:14 pm

Smerlas!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:50 pm

Matt hasselback?
Guy started in the NFL for like 15 years...at a position that there are very few opportunities for.

P.s. His QB rating is only 7 points lower than Ryan's and he led Seattle to the postseason several times.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:01 pm

shut up hansen
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ckoub01 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:57 pm

No love for Mark Chmura!?!? Great TE, even better person.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:02 pm

Luke needs to play at this level for only 2-3 more years to walk into the hall of fame. hes 24.

Barring something disastrous, people will probably debate who was the best MLB of all time - Luke or Ray
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:11 pm

Kelvin Martin had a real nice career at BC and NFL.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:18 pm

I guess Dan Koppen wins the RINGZZZZ argument and he played a key role. But Luke is winning DPOYs and is a straight monster.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:28 pm

If you are doing linemen, start with Nalen and Woody.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:31 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I guess Dan Koppen wins the RINGZZZZ argument and he played a key role. But Luke is winning DPOYs and is a straight monster.

luke will get RINGZZZZ #1 on sunday

p and s - snee, nalen, stone and woody also had the same number of RINGZZZZZ as koppen. but you fenced in nerds wouldn't know that shit, and that's why you have all the nerd RINGZZZZ
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:35 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I guess Dan Koppen wins the RINGZZZZ argument and he played a key role. But Luke is winning DPOYs and is a straight monster.

p and s - snee, nalen, stone and woody also had the same number of RINGZZZZZ as koppen. but you fenced in nerds wouldn't know that shit, and that's why you have all the nerd RINGZZZZ

I thought Koppen had 3 vs. Snee's 2. Anyhow, regardless of who we're putting up there it's pretty much:

An OL
Luke

Ryan and Matt Hass have good careers, but never at any point have either been the best at their position.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:36 pm

do we even have another player who has been a 3x first team all pro?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:40 pm

ryan had the first 13-3 year where he was getting lots of buzz for both 13-3 AND the 4th quarter comebacks. then he pooped himself in the playoffs and it's never been the same since.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:17 pm

Besides Luke - other most NFL accomplished BC'ers (in no particular order) are/were - Smerlas, Ernie Stautner, Romo, Donavan, Nalen, Joe Nash, Matt Hass, Larry Eisenhauer, Snee,
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:08 pm

Art Donovan is hands down the winner right now. 4x 1st team All Pro, All Decade Team for the 50s, Hall of Famer, 2 rings. A couple more years at this level and Luke surpasses him. Nalen is the only guy who can even compete in the conversation as a 3x 1st team All Pro (Snee has 2,Chmura has 2 and Koppen has 1). Smerlas isn't as ridiculous pick as one would think as he was a 5x Pro Bowl Selection, only Donovan and Nalen can match him in that regard.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:59 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

I thought Koppen had 3 vs. Snee's 2. Anyhow, regardless of who we're putting up there it's pretty much:

An OL
Luke

Ryan and Matt Hass have good careers, but never at any point have either been the best at their position.

Woody was the center when the Pats beat the Rams. He moved to guard when Koppen was a rookie.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby h2o on Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Smerlas is right there with the best of BC. The Widell brothers need to be mentioned because they are the only brothers to play OL for the same team at the same time in NFL history.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:05 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Art Donovan is hands down the winner right now. 4x 1st team All Pro, All Decade Team for the 50s, Hall of Famer, 2 rings. A couple more years at this level and Luke surpasses him. Nalen is the only guy who can even compete in the conversation as a 3x 1st team All Pro (Snee has 2,Chmura has 2 and Koppen has 1). Smerlas isn't as ridiculous pick as one would think as he was a 5x Pro Bowl Selection, only Donovan and Nalen can match him in that regard.

It is sad that it took that many posts before someone mentioned Donovan.

Then again not many people on this board were alive when he was making regular appearances on The Late Show.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMNvBtQw3os[/youtube]
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby EagleWolverine on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:37 am

He has potential to surpass Donovan, but definitely Donovan at this point. He is a HOFer.
EagleWolverine
n00b

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:45 am

Ernie Stautner = NFL Hall of Fame - Steeler's 75th Anniversary All-Time Team - First Steeler to have his number retired - 9 Pro Bowls
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby Irishriviera on Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:55 pm

Romo won a number of rings. That counts for something. Pete Kendall played a log time in the NFL too. Not sure if he ever made a pro-bowl or not though.
Irishriviera
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:10 pm

pete kendall also ran the wrong way during the 1993 domer celebration. the team rushed gordo and kendall ran upfield towards the opposite endzone.

it was hilarious to me and i'd always assumed was the inspiration for the frank-the-tank "goin' streakin" portion of old school
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:13 am

Kendall had a good NFL career, but nothing spectacular. The King of Africa played for as long and won a couple of rings.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:01 pm

Definitely put Nalen, Snee and Woody above Kendall. Koppen maybe as well.

Jolonn Dunbar quietly had a nice pro career, including a great season in 2012
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bcshater on Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:23 pm

Chris Gasper of the Globe had a article on this same topic today.

Luke Kuechly could be BC’s best-ever pro

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2016/ ... story.html

SAN FRANCISCO — The best linebacker in the National Football League used to eat at Eagle’s Deli in Cleveland Circle and has a hunger for greatness that will be on display in Super Bowl 50.

Boston College isn’t exactly Alabama or Ohio State, but the school has produced some notable NFL players. Luke Kuechly might already be BC’s best NFL-er ever.

A guy whose job is to create collisions for the Carolina Panthers is on a collision course with Canton, Ohio. The inimitable, late Art Donovan of the Baltimore Colts and the late Ernie Stautner of the Pittsburgh Steelers are the only Boston College products in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

“I don’t know about the best player. We’ve had a lot of good guys come out,” said Kuechly. “We’ve had some linebackers come out. Bill Romanowski was a great player. Mark Herzlich has been a great player. Matt Ryan, Gosder Cherilus, Anthony Castonzo, I’m sure I’m missing guys.

“Doug Flutie, I think to me, is Mr. BC. He has a statue in front of the stadium. He has won the Heisman. He is going to go down as one of the players that had one of the all-time plays in college football history. If you talk about people from Boston College, Doug Flutie is still the guy.

Here’s what you need to know about this year’s Super Bowl as well as the game’s history and random tidbits.

Flutie is a BC deity, His Highness of The Heights, Mr. Hail Mary, an iconic college football player. But he was never considered the standard at his position in the NFL, a league that never game him a fair shake.

Kuechly’s case for all-time bragging rights at The Heights would be bolstered if the Panthers defeat the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl 50 on Sunday in Santa Clara.

Don’t let Kuechly see his name and “brag” in the same sentence.

On a team known for its entertaining on-field antics, swashbuckling swagger, and bold statements, Kuechly is the straight man with the curly locks, his version of a playoff beard.

The 24-year-old looks like a mild-mannered Clark Kent and plays middle linebacker like Superman. That on-field alter ego belongs to Panthers quarterback Cam Newton. So Newton christened Kuechly with another superhero sobriquet — Captain America.

Whatever nickname you give him, Kuechly has been a boy wonder chasing down ball carriers.

After setting a school record for tackles at Boston College with 532 in three seasons, Kuechly led the NFL in tackles as a rookie in 2012, winning Defensive Rookie of the Year. He was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 2013.

The other pure linebackers to win both those awards are (gulp) Jack Lambert, Lawrence Taylor, and Brian Urlacher.

Since he entered the league, no player has been credited with more tackles than Kuechly’s 591 or among linebackers snared more interceptions — 14, including the playoffs.

“He looks like he is 12 years old, but he is a grown man,” said Carolina defensive end Jared Allen. “Luke is awesome. He is just so intelligent. He is one of those Urlacher, Ray Lewis, generational type of player that, as long as he stays healthy, is going impact this league at a totally different level.”

Kuechly is the heart, soul, and nerve center of Carolina’s defense, which led the NFL in turnovers this season with 39 and finished in the top 10 in total defense for the fourth straight year, a streak that coincides with Kuechly’s arrival.

The Panthers put a lot on Kuechly’s plate.

The 6-foot-3-inch, 238-pound Kuechly is the prototypical linebacker for the modern NFL. He can stop running backs cold in the hole or run 40 yards downfield with a receiver.

He led the Panthers in tackles this season, despite missing 3½ games with a concussion, and had as many interceptions (four) as Carolina All-Pro cornerback Josh Norman.

Kuechly snagged interceptions in Carolina’s playoff wins over Seattle and Arizona, becoming the first player in NFL history with interception return touchdowns in back-to-back games in the same postseason. He also had a pick-6 in the regular season.

“Fortunately for me, there hasn’t been a whole lot of traffic for me getting in once I get the ball,” said Kuechly.

In part, what makes Kuechly great are his preternatural instincts. Those instincts compelled Kuechly to pick BC over Duke, Virginia, and Stanford coming out of Cincinnati’s St. Xavier High School.

“I thought Boston was a neat area. It was a Jesuit school, something that I was familiar with. It just felt right,” said Kuechly. “That’s the biggest thing for me. As an 18-year-old kid trying to pick a school, my parents, especially my dad, wanted me to have a list of reasons why I liked one and a list of reasons why I didn’t like one. I wasn’t really able to do that. I just knew it felt right. That was the best way for me to describe it.”

Kuechly has a tremendous feel for the game and watches enough film to be an Oscars judge. But Panthers safety Kurt Coleman said Kuechly doesn’t get enough credit for his freakish athleticism.

Coleman said that the team had a box jump competition in the offseason and Kuechly won.

“Luke is a freak,” said Coleman. “I’m glad he is on my team. He is a great competitor. I know if all else fails, Luke is probably going to be in the right spot.”

Being in the right spot will be vital Sunday. Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning, the maestro of the line of scrimmage, is going to give Kuechly a lot to chew on.

Kuechly used to do quite a bit of chewing at Eagle’s Deli.

“We went there quite a bit. That was a good spot. They always gave you tons of food,” said Kuechly.

Kuechly has moved on to devouring offensive game plans and providing food for thought about his place in BC lore
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium