Who's going to Ireland?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Who's going to Ireland?

Postby claver2010 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:08 am

speaking of Gillette as a heads up my tickets arrived yesterday

brighton campus parking pass arrived yesterday as well, still no sign of season tickets
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:13 am

I would rather not fly than transfer in Atlanta or Charlotte. The only solution for either of those sites is to nuke them from orbit. With that said, SFO is a terrible, terrible airport, so you appear to be screwed no matter what you do.

I was saddened to hear LAX wasn't destroyed in a terrorist attack. John Wayne forever, LAX never. Anyway, commercial air travel is gauche.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:17 am

after being to both several times in the last week, both JFK & LGA need to be nuked and the earth salted.

might rather pay the $45 or whatever it is over the bridge and go to Newark (first time that's ever been said)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:41 am

How much does a netshare fractional share cost? Trying to figure out if it's affordable for my butler. :tophat
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:05 am

NetJets is one of those things where if you have to ask how much it's worth, it's not for you.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:33 am

hansen {l Wrote}:How much does a netshare fractional share cost? Trying to figure out if it's affordable for my butler. :tophat

last i checked they had a promotional, first time starter rate of $250k for 10 hours

once you get the full time fractional share it's really about the usage, maintenance to the aircraft and other operating costs... you're on the hook for all of it
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:36 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:NetJets is one of those things where if you have to ask how much it's worth, it's not for you.

True. My whore, I mean mistress said:

NetJets offers 6 percent fixed-rate financing on balances $100,000 and up after you've put down 20 percent of the value at signing. You can also buy a pre-paid lease with the Marquis Jet Card, which is good for 25 hours of flight time. A single year starts at $119,900 in a Hawker 400XP jet.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:37 am

Most of the fractional programs also allow you to stretch your hours a bit if you are willing to share the plane with someone else going the same way at the same time. I am sure there were a few people from Boston and NYC going over to Ireland at the same time.

Chartering, in general, is very underutilized and a can be a great, relatively inexpensive option (obviously plane size and distance drive the cost). The key is finding a good broker, because a bad charter is one hundred times worse than a bad commercial flight.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:43 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:might rather pay the $45 or whatever it is over the bridge and go to Newark (first time that's ever been said)

As Spaz would say, "whoa whoa..."

Let's not say things we might regret.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:01 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:might rather pay the $45 or whatever it is over the bridge and go to Newark (first time that's ever been said)

i assume claver hasn't been to chris christie regional airport in some time.

i would take lga ahead of ewr on any day of the week and twice on sunday... especially if your at ewr and not flying united (continental) or flying on a regional jet to a walmarty part of the country. terminals a and b at ewr need to be shot in the dick before being burned to the ground and having the earth below them salted
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:30 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Anyway, commercial air travel is gauche.

This may be true (I only travel by hydrofoil or dirigible), but owning anything fractionally registers a million on the gauche-o-meter and smacks of uppity proletarianism.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:31 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

i would take lga ahead of ewr on any day of the week and twice on sunday... especially if your at ewr and not flying united (continental) or flying on a regional jet to a walmarty part of the country. terminals a and b at ewr need to be shot in the dick before being burned to the ground and having the earth below them salted

Aer Lingus Terminal B Thursday night.

I get to Dublin at 5am. I need a real early check in.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:35 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

Aer Lingus Terminal B Thursday night.

I get to Dublin at 5am. I need a real early check in.

You're better off getting a taxi than waiting for campion.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:39 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:...You're better off getting a taxi than waiting for campion.

especially with the high likelihood you'll be sitting in a puddle of boxty when/if he ever shows up
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:57 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Salzano14 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:I heard that BC sold over 6k tickets. Actually know a lot of people going; no one under 50 though.

How many people do you know under 50?

:duchE

I know 3 class of 2015 going, pays to have loaded parents.

The trip is doable for under $1k if you're smart with air fares (I got SFO-DUB via Reykjavik for about $550/person on something called WOW Air) and don't plan to go anywhere other than Ireland or stay more than about 4-5 days. Granted $1k is still a lot for someone a little over a year out of school, but for a once in a lifetime trip most can swing it if they're big enough fans.

I've flown WOW air. It's 5000% ass.

There is nothing more undignified than clattering across the tarmac in the shitty icelandic weather to scurry up some stairs and watch the great unwashed scramble for seats.

Pay for every upgrade you can (there is no first class) and pray that the Moldovan pilots have sobered up enough from their birch schnapps bender before they push that throttle forward.

That said, Wow Air is better than WIZZair.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:48 pm

last time at newark was flying back from clemson on continental and it was no problem. that plane was so small I'm surprised they didn't try to distribute us by weight.

when was the last time you were at lga? flying the 6 AM shuttle is fine but they're knocking half that 3rd world country down
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:51 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

last time at newark was flying back from clemson on continental and it was no problem. that plane was so small I'm surprised they didn't try to distribute us by weight.

when was the last time you were at lga? flying the 6 AM shuttle is fine but they're knocking half that 3rd world country down

i was at lga a few months ago. i fly delta pretty much exclusively and was limited in my experience to the delta terminal. with tsa precheck i zip right through the security lines (not an option at ewr in terminal a) and seat myself in a restaurant that serves actual food and not some snack bar with well liquor like one finds at ewr.

the fact that your last experience at ewr was on continental tells me all i need to know about how little you know of the current state of the ewr airport
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:53 pm

Here's what I have learned from reading this thread:

(1) I don't like poor people. Most of them deserve to be poor because of some fatal character flaw. I do everything I can to avoid being anywhere near poor people and air travel really is the one place where poor people can get near you. I used to be concerned at sporting events, but since I don't attend BC games anymore and Notre Dame is installing luxury boxes that problem is on its way to being solved.

(2) My NetJets account is the best money I have spent in some time. The best piece of advice I ever got was "If it flies, fucks or floats rent it." This, coupled with the fact that it allows me to avoid poor people means that it is money well-spent.

(3) I am uncomfortable with some of the down-market sentiments being expressed in this thread. I think that in addition to being repulsed by the physical presence of poor people, I may also have a problem with their cyber presence as well.

(4) I played National Golf Links of America today and it continues to be the tits. I also like that they look down on Shinnecock as nouveau riche arrivistes and the Shinnecock guys have to take it because from a relativity stand point it is undeniably true.

(5) The only real problem I have with South Hampton is that it is on Long Island. It would be a good thing if Nassau County and most of Suffolk sunk into the ocean and the Hamptons could become something akin to Shelter Island or Martha's Vineyard.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Aug 30, 2016 3:21 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Salzano14 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:I heard that BC sold over 6k tickets. Actually know a lot of people going; no one under 50 though.

How many people do you know under 50?

:duchE

I know 3 class of 2015 going, pays to have loaded parents.

The trip is doable for under $1k if you're smart with air fares (I got SFO-DUB via Reykjavik for about $550/person on something called WOW Air) and don't plan to go anywhere other than Ireland or stay more than about 4-5 days. Granted $1k is still a lot for someone a little over a year out of school, but for a once in a lifetime trip most can swing it if they're big enough fans.

I've flown WOW air. It's 5000% ass.

There is nothing more undignified than clattering across the tarmac in the shitty icelandic weather to scurry up some stairs and watch the great unwashed scramble for seats.

Pay for every upgrade you can (there is no first class) and pray that the Moldovan pilots have sobered up enough from their birch schnapps bender before they push that throttle forward.

That said, Wow Air is better than WIZZair.

LOL, they don't even have a ramp directly to the gate? Awesome.

Still, I'm confident it will be preferable to my Atlanta-Narita jaunt on Delta a few years ago. US airlines, especially the major carriers (JetBlue, Alaska, and Virgin are OK), blow. East Asian carriers are the tits. I hear Middle Eastern carriers are too, but I generally try to avoid giving money to the Gulf States in any form other than at the gas pump.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:03 pm

Jet Blue is the only domestic airline to fly these days. But that's not saying much.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Salzano14 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:43 pm

Hawaiian is pretty good even if it barely counts. Also Southwest's free cancellations/changes are really worthwhile. As long as you check in 23:59:59.9999 hours before your flight.

I'm going to Australia and Tokyo next year, trying to get a one stop from Boston on either Etihad or Emirates to Australia and assuming I'll go nonstop on ANA or JAL to Tokyo. Those seem good though I've never actually been on them.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Aug 30, 2016 7:25 pm

Actually just flew Hawaiian last week, didn't think it was anything remarkably good or bad but it was just a 45 minute hop from Honolulu to Kauai.

Sitting on an Alaskan jet right now waiting for my return flight to the mainland. Still think this is the best US airline aside from maybe JetBlue (but I've only gotten to fly that a couple times).
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Salzano14 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:40 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Actually just flew Hawaiian last week, didn't think it was anything remarkably good or bad but it was just a 45 minute hop from Honolulu to Kauai.

I was on JFK>HNL and then HNL>SYD and was pleasantly surprised with how comfortable it was.
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:02 pm

Flying is fine if you have status and are in First Class.

I feel bad for the rest of you. I haven't seen what coach looks like since my mid-20s
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:53 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Jet Blue is the only domestic airline to fly these days. But that's not saying much.

Alaska Airlines?
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:54 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Flying is fine if you have status and are in First Class.

I feel bad for the rest of you. I haven't seen what coach looks like since my mid-20s

Must be nice.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:59 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Must be nice.

Or it must be sales
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:07 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

i was at lga a few months ago. i fly delta pretty much exclusively and was limited in my experience to the delta terminal. with tsa precheck i zip right through the security lines (not an option at ewr in terminal a) and seat myself in a restaurant that serves actual food and not some snack bar with well liquor like one finds at ewr.

the fact that your last experience at ewr was on continental tells me all i need to know about how little you know of the current state of the ewr airport

I'm sorry

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:11 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Here's what I have learned from reading this thread:

(1) I don't like poor people. Most of them deserve to be poor because of some fatal character flaw. I do everything I can to avoid being anywhere near poor people and air travel really is the one place where poor people can get near you. I used to be concerned at sporting events, but since I don't attend BC games anymore and Notre Dame is installing luxury boxes that problem is on its way to being solved.

(2) My NetJets account is the best money I have spent in some time. The best piece of advice I ever got was [b]"If it flies, fucks or floats rent it."/b] This, coupled with the fact that it allows me to avoid poor people means that it is money well-spent.

This is under appreciated advice.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Must be nice.

Or it must be sales

Whatever it is.... its nice.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium