Semis / NYD Bowls

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Semis / NYD Bowls

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:35 am

i think both underdogs cover and win tonight

good luck dee & mez, will be rooting for teh clemson

wonder how long until they move these back to nyd after they see the difference in ratings between last year and toinght
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Semis / NYD Bowls

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:41 am

Agree on Clemson. Like MSU to stay within the spread but lose. They may get blown out though.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:40 am

I also like Clemson and Michigan State to win.

I also expect ESPN to move these games back to Jan. 1 eventually, but I don't think the dip in ratings will be that significant.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:13 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I also like Clemson and Michigan State to win.

I also expect ESPN to move these games back to Jan. 1 eventually, but I don't think the dip in ratings will be that significant.

I don't understand the rationale of playing on NYE especially the late game.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:28 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

They're gambling that more people stay home and do nothing on NYE than is generally presumed. And they may be onto something. I don't know a lot of people who like or look forward to New Year's Eve, anymore. I'm sure part of this is due to the fact that I'm getting older, but the whole night is a fraud.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:30 pm

FSU predictably no-shows for the Peach Bowl.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:14 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i think both underdogs cover and win tonight

good luck dee & mez, will be rooting for teh clemson

wonder how long until they move these back to nyd after they see the difference in ratings between last year and toinght

Thanks, Claver!

Less than two hours....all these shitty ACC performances are making me a little nervous. My husband, however, thinks they are going to curb stomp OK.

BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:08 pm

After watching multiple ACC teams get slapped around in bowl games, I figured Clemson would get trucked by OU, but they've shown something today.

I keep waiting for them to implode but it hasn't happened.

Also, I have a sneaky suspicion that Michigan State might win tonight. Everyone seems to be ignoring how bad Jake Coker is at QB for Alabama. Sparty can win this game.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:26 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:After watching multiple ACC teams get slapped around in bowl games, I figured Clemson would get trucked by OU, but they've shown something today.

Also, I have a sneaky suspicion that Michigan State might win tonight. Everyone seems to be ignoring how bad Jake Coker is at QB for Alabama. Sparty can win this game.

Clemson is by far the best team this season.
The only thing that may stop them is Deshaun Watson throwing bad picks for no reason. Honestly, his pass selection boggles my mind.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:36 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:After watching multiple ACC teams get slapped around in bowl games, I figured Clemson would get trucked by OU, but they've shown something today.

The only thing that may stop them is Deshaun Watson throwing bad picks for no reason. Honestly, his pass selection boggles my mind.

Which he has done. And don't forget the Dabo factor!
EDIT - what an INT by #10!
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle33 on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:56 pm

Why on earth are these two games being played on new years eve. espn is the worst. :dildodog
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:59 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:Why on earth are these two games being played on new years eve. espn is the worst. :dildodog

Was just thinking the same. Only cot 1/4 of the Clempson game and doubt I will get to watch much more of the next.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby dick ritchie on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:10 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:Why on earth are these two games being played on new years eve. espn is the worst. :dildodog

Was just thinking the same. Only cot 1/4 of the Clempson game and doubt I will get to watch much more of the next.

Get used to it. The semis are on NYE 8 of the next 11 years.

ESPN tried to move these games to Jan. 2 this year but the CFP said no because they want to start a "new tradition" of playing these games on NYE.
dick ritchie
Carney Hall

Postby BCdee on Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:33 pm

dick ritchie {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

ESPN tried to move these games to Jan. 2 this year but the CFP said no because they want to start a "new tradition" of playing these games on NYE.

I don't mind at all...NYE is vastly overrated.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:21 pm

I went to the OB tonight, 75% Clemson fans. OU does not travel well. Zero local interest in this game. If this were Oregon vs OU there would be 20,000 empty seats. 67,615 tonight? I doubt that is a sell out because there were quite a few empty seats. Tickets in the upper deck were under $100
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby bcshater on Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:41 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:
dick ritchie {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Have a wedding NYE 2016. Going to miss both games probably. Personally not a fan of the NYE bowl games. Guess I can catch the games on my cell phone, but will probably get the evil eye from Mrs. BCShater.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:25 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

They're gambling that more people stay home and do nothing on NYE than is generally presumed. And they may be onto something. I don't know a lot of people who like or look forward to New Year's Eve, anymore. I'm sure part of this is due to the fact that I'm getting older, but the whole night is a fraud.

They're also figuring, and they're probably right, that people who will watch playoff games on NYE plus people who will watch non-playoff games on NYD are greater than vice versa
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:50 pm

Alabama was tremendous tonight. Dominated every single facet of the game.

Next week should be fun.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:59 pm

Geez, Iowa would have been a better opponent. Michigan State got through by the skin on their teeth for the bigger games, huge disappointment so far.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby bcshater on Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:12 pm

MSU vs. BAMA was the game I was really looking forward to this bowl season. Expected BAMA to win but MSU to keep it close. Switched over to the Threes Stooges.
Yes I am a BC fan. Proof of this is my dog's name is Baldwin.
bcshater
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:02 am

Big 10-11-12-14 sucks donkey dick

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:30 am

BCdee {l Wrote}:
dick ritchie {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

This. I would sooner go out for Cinco de Mayo than NYE.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:56 am

New Year's Eve is amateur hour. Football is perfect for drinking home booze and enjoying family
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:02 pm

I think the nyd non playoff bowls pressured the NYE playoff date, not ESPN.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:15 pm

i thought it was the rose bowl that refused to move

nye sucks and always will. had a couple of people over and it wasn't long before whiny :skank tried to commandeer the remote, gtfomh
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:20 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I think the nyd non playoff bowls pressured the NYE playoff date, not ESPN.

I'm willing to bet that today's meaningless exhibition between OSU/ND draws better ratings than at least one if not both of the playoff games.

ESPN right now is an anchor sinking Disney stock (after being a driver for so long). They have been hit hard by significant declining revenues from cable companies (victims themselves of cord-cutters) while having fixed costs associated with huge payouts given to professional leagues and college conferences. I believe the Big Ten is the next to negotiate their TV deal. It will be interesting to see if and how this new financial landscape effects their deal. I personally would love nothing more than to see college sports bubble burst right on that conference so the world can view the acquisition of Rutgers and Maryland as the moment when conference expansion jumped the shark.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:41 pm

For folks who don't follow this stuff, here is a recent article on what I am talking about.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the ... -cant-fix/

I would post this in the thread about TV deals but the Search function is still broken.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I think the nyd non playoff bowls pressured the NYE playoff date, not ESPN.

I'm willing to bet that today's meaningless exhibition between OSU/ND draws better ratings than at least one if not both of the playoff games.

ESPN right now is an anchor sinking Disney stock (after being a driver for so long). They have been hit hard by significant declining revenues from cable companies (victims themselves of cord-cutters) while having fixed costs associated with huge payouts given to professional leagues and college conferences. I believe the Big Ten is the next to negotiate their TV deal. It will be interesting to see if and how this new financial landscape effects their deal. I personally would love nothing more than to see college sports bubble burst right on that conference so the world can view the acquisition of Rutgers and Maryland as the moment when conference expansion jumped the shark.

Next round will be either less money or the same. I'm sure it will be structured in a way to save face though.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:23 pm

Ratings are out and they were down 30% (!!) for ESPN from last years playoff games.

I'm betting that's the end of the NYE "tradition". ESPN should have told the Rose Bowl to go fuck itself in the first place anyways.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:27 pm

I like NYE and any other excuse to get together with friends and have a good time.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium