Bye Week Distraction

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Bye Week Distraction

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:57 am

New England Sports Trivia Contest 5.0

Past Winners:
1.0 Campion
2.0 TRE
3.0 Notorious Orange—Welcome to EO, we missed ya.
4.0 HolyCross87/Campion

To win, the winner must provide the ENTIRE list of correct answers in one post. You may learn from the right/wrong answers from previous posters answers. The winner gets to change 81’s avatar.

1. The distance of the world famous Falmouth Road Race. Also, explain why the distance is so odd.

2. The name of the four Boston NFL teams before the Patriots?
Hints: One is a dog with a scrunched up face, One is a baseball team in Atlanta
One is the short name of a rival of the Red Sox and One is a NFL team whose
head coach is longer calling the plays

3. The name of the first women to run the Boston Marathon with a number and the name she registered under since women weren’t allowed to run the
race. Hint: She shares a last name with a famous Oklahoma and Dallas Cowboy football coach

4. What running maneuver did the Patriots Sam “the Bam” Cunningham "invent" in football during his time at USC?

5. Marci Francis BC 98 is an Olympian in what sport?
Hint: It’s a rock band and clothing label.

6. What town did Babe Ruth live in while he was with the Red Sox?

7. At what college was the sport of basketball invented?

8. The former Boston College Basketball coach that won a national championship at his Alma Mater?

9. The name of BC’s most recent winner of the Hobey Baker Award?

10. The name of the nightclub that the 1942 football team canceled its reservation after losing in an upset to Holy Cross.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Re: Bye Week Distraction

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:03 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:New England Sports Trivia Contest 5.0

10. The name of the nightclub that the 1942 football team canceled its reservation after losing in an upset to Holy Cross.

The Coconut Grove!!!!! Easily the worst day in BC football history.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:09 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:New England Sports Trivia Contest 5.0

Past Winners:
1.0 Campion
2.0 TRE
3.0 Notorious Orange—Welcome to EO, we missed ya.
4.0 HolyCross87/Campion

To win, the winner must provide the ENTIRE list of correct answers in one post. You may learn from the right/wrong answers from previous posters answers. The winner gets to change 81’s avatar.

1. The distance of the world famous Falmouth Road Race. Also, explain why the distance is so odd. Now 7 miles

2. The name of the four Boston NFL teams before the Patriots?
Hints: One is a dog with a scrunched up face, One is a baseball team in Atlanta
One is the short name of a rival of the Red Sox and One is a NFL team whose
head coach is longer calling the plays

Redskins, Braves, Bulldogs, Yanks

3. The name of the first women to run the Boston Marathon with a number and the name she registered under since women weren’t allowed to run the
race. Hint: She shares a last name with a famous Oklahoma and Dallas Cowboy football coach Catherine Switzer

4. What running maneuver did the Patriots Sam “the Bam” Cunningham "invent" in football during his time at USC? Hurdle over the line in a lay out position to score at the goal line

5. Marci Francis BC 98 is an Olympian in what sport? ??
Hint: It’s a rock band and clothing label.

6. What town did Babe Ruth live in while he was with the Red Sox Wayland ?

7. At what college was the sport of basketball invented? Springfield U

8. The former Boston College Basketball coach that won a national championship at his Alma Mater Gary Williams?

9. The name of BC’s most recent winner of the Hobey Baker Award? Emma

10. The name of the nightclub that the 1942 football team canceled its reservation after losing in an upset to Holy Cross. Coconut Grove

NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:15 pm

9. is Mike Mottau.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby BCLou on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:03 pm

6. is Sudbury.
BCLou
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:20 pm

The correct answers are in the posts except for the following:

1. Explain why the distance is 7 miles.
3. Spelled with a K. She registered as K.V Switzer
5. Hint: Has to do with rowing.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby vanderslice on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:36 pm

1. Its a funny distance because the race started as a birthday run for Tommy Leonard (of the Elliot Lounge fame) from Captains Kidds in Woods Hole to the Brothers Four in Falmouth Heights.
vanderslice
n00b

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:40 pm

vanderslice {l Wrote}:1. Its a funny distance because the race started as a birthday run for Tommy Leonard (of the Elliot Lounge fame) from Captains Kidds in Woods Hole to the Brothers Four in Falmouth Heights.

The only remaining unanswered question is the B.C. Olympic rower. In what rowing event did she compete in the Olympics? It's a non- main stream brand name as well. I need all the correct answers in one post to declare a winner.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:41 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
vanderslice {l Wrote}:1. Its a funny distance because the race started as a birthday run for Tommy Leonard (of the Elliot Lounge fame) from Captains Kidds in Woods Hole to the Brothers Four in Falmouth Heights.

The only remaining unanswered question is the B.C. Olympic rower. In what rowing event did she compete in the Olympics? It's a non- main stream brand name as well. I need all the correct answers in one post to declare a winner.

skeleton
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:43 pm

AC-Post all the answers in one post and you can extract your revenge on 81.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:44 pm

1. 7 miles because the race started as a birthday run for Tommy Leonard (of the Elliot Lounge fame) from Captains Kidds in Woods Hole to the Brothers Four in Falmouth Heights
2. Redskins, Yanks, Braves, Bulldogs
3. Katherine Switzer
4. hurdle over the line in lay out position
5. skeleton
6. Sudbury
7. Springfield College
8. Gary Williams
9. Mike Mottau
10. Cocoanut Grove
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:57 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:1. 7 miles because the race started as a birthday run for Tommy Leonard (of the Elliot Lounge fame) from Captains Kidds in Woods Hole to the Brothers Four in Falmouth Heights
3. Katherine Switzer
5. skeleton
6. Sudbury
7. Springfield College
8. Gary Williams
9. Mike Mottau
10. Cocoanut Grove

I am claiming the win due to an incorrect spelling of Coconut Grove by AC - correct answers below

1. 7 miles because the race started as a birthday run for Tommy Leonard (of the Elliot Lounge fame) from Captains Kidds in Woods Hole to the Brothers Four in Falmouth Heights
3. Katherine Switzer
5. skeleton
6. Sudbury
7. Springfield College
8. Gary Williams
9. Mike Mottau
10. Coconut Grove
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:59 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:1. 7 miles because the race started as a birthday run for Tommy Leonard (of the Elliot Lounge fame) from Captains Kidds in Woods Hole to the Brothers Four in Falmouth Heights
3. Katherine Switzer
5. skeleton
6. Sudbury
7. Springfield College
8. Gary Williams
9. Mike Mottau
10. Cocoanut Grove

I am claiming the win due to an incorrect spelling of Coconut Grove by AC - correct answers below

3. Katherine Switzer
5. skeleton
6. Sudbury
7. Springfield College
8. Gary Williams
9. Mike Mottau
10. Coconut Grove

Care to rethink that, smarty?
http://www.celebrateboston.com/disaster ... vefire.htm
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:01 pm

3. Katherine Switzer
5. skeleton
6. Sudbury
7. Springfield College
8. Gary Williams
9. Mike Mottau
10. Cocoanut Grove

Sorry NO, we have a new winner and I am screwed because AC HAS WON. He will extract a heavy revenge on 81. Go ahead AC. I am your avatar slave. Just PM it to me in uploadable format because I am an IT moron so you have to put it on a silver platter for me. Thanks and congrats. Good sports. Thanks to all for playing.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:02 pm

I saw an opening and I took a shot - but - I was wrong

Nice work AC
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:04 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:I saw an opening and I took a shot - but - I was wrong

Nice work AC

AC beat you by 13 minutes. Sorry NO.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:06 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:I saw an opening and I took a shot - but - I was wrong

Nice work AC

It was a good effort.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:55 pm

campion {l Wrote}:1. 7 miles because the race started as a birthday run for Tommy Leonard (of the Elliot Lounge fame) from Captains Kidds in Woods Hole to the Brothers Four in Falmouth Heights
2. Redskins, Yanks, Braves, Bulldogs*** SHAMROCKS-- See Below***
3. Katherine Switzer
5. skeleton
6. Sudbury
7. Springfield College
8. Gary Williams
9. Mike Mottau
10. Cocoanut Grove

*** The Braves and the Redskins refer to the SAME TEAM. They were refered to as the Redskins or the Braves interchangeably. They were owned by Judge Emil Fuchs, who also owned the baseball Braves. When Fuchs sold the team in 1936 he told them they could no longer be called the Braves, and so they officially became the Redskins.

The fourth pro team in Boston was the Boston Shamrocks, an AFL team in the 30s.

I DEMAND A RE-ACCOUNTING, AS I AM CORRECT AND THEREFORE I AM THE WINNER. NEVER DECLARE THESE CONTESTS OVER UNTIL I HAVE WEIGHED IN.

I told you it would be posted at Noon. You had your chance. It says the names of the four NFL (not AFL) teams. If the team changes its name then it is in effect a "new team", just like when the Colts moved to Indy from Baltimore. Fair is fair.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby nsbcfan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:14 pm

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:The correct answers are in the posts except for the following:

1. Explain why the distance is 7 miles.
3. Spelled with a K. She registered as K.V Switzer
5. Hint: Has to do with rowing.

If the answer to #5 is in fact Skeleton, then it has nothing to do with rowing. Skeleton is a winter olympic sport that involves sliding down an ice track on your stomach. Rowing is a summer olympic sport where oars are used to propel a boat.
nsbcfan
n00b

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:26 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:1. 7 miles because the race started as a birthday run for Tommy Leonard (of the Elliot Lounge fame) from Captains Kidds in Woods Hole to the Brothers Four in Falmouth Heights
3. Katherine Switzer
5. skeleton
6. Sudbury
7. Springfield College
8. Gary Williams
9. Mike Mottau
10. Cocoanut Grove

*** The Braves and the Redskins refer to the SAME TEAM. They were refered to as the Redskins or the Braves interchangeably. They were owned by Judge Emil Fuchs, who also owned the baseball Braves. When Fuchs sold the team in 1936 he told them they could no longer be called the Braves, and so they officially became the Redskins.

I DEMAND A RE-ACCOUNTING, AS I AM CORRECT AND THEREFORE I AM THE WINNER. NEVER DECLARE THESE CONTESTS OVER UNTIL I HAVE WEIGHED IN.

I told you it would be posted at Noon. You had your chance. It says the names of the four NFL (not AFL) teams. If the team changes its name then it is in effect a "new team", just like when the Colts moved to Indy from Baltimore. Fair is fair.

That is not true-- are you saying then that the Worlds Series that the Red Sox won in 1903 as the Pilgrims doesn't count as a Red Sox World Series? They were the BOSTON Redskins for a full year before they moved to DC. In fact, the Redskins moved to Washington in 1937 because the Shamrocks were out-drawing them at the gate.

Just admit you are wrong. Everyone here can see that I caught you in a mistake and now you are trying to cover for it with a stupid rationalization. I smoke every one of your stupidly easy trivia contests.

I DEMAND A RE-ACCOUNTING, AS I AM RIGHT AND THEREFORE I AM THE WINNER. NEVER DECLARE THESE CONTESTS OVER UNTIL I HAVE WEIGHED IN, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO WAIT 40 DAYS AND 40 NIGHTS FOR MY SELECTIONS.

If campion is correct, I will gladly step aside and give up my crown.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:35 pm

I'm going to try to steal this by saying that the Boston Yanks combined with the Brooklyn team during WWII and that this combined team constitutes a separate Boston-based NFL team. Therefore, the answer to No. 2 is: Boston Braves/Redskins, Boston Bulldogs, Boston Yanks, Boston/Brooklyn Yanks.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:21 pm

Campion-Wang has given you your opportunity and you decided to keep my lovely pink avatar. I shall save my pink thong for you and contribute it as additional prize. I think Isaac is still sniffing it from the last cruise so I need to rip it away from him. Where are you Isaac?
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:31 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
3. Katherine Switzer
5. skeleton
6. Sudbury
7. Springfield College
8. Gary Williams
9. Mike Mottau
10. Cocoanut Grove

That is not true-- are you saying then that the Worlds Series that the Red Sox won in 1903 as the Pilgrims doesn't count as a Red Sox World Series? They were the BOSTON Redskins for a full year before they moved to DC. In fact, the Redskins moved to Washington in 1937 because the Shamrocks were out-drawing them at the gate.

Just admit you are wrong. Everyone here can see that I caught you in a mistake and now you are trying to cover for it with a stupid rationalization. I smoke every one of your stupidly easy trivia contests.

I DEMAND A RE-ACCOUNTING, AS I AM RIGHT AND THEREFORE I AM THE WINNER. NEVER DECLARE THESE CONTESTS OVER UNTIL I HAVE WEIGHED IN, EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO WAIT 40 DAYS AND 40 NIGHTS FOR MY SELECTIONS.

I said NFL teams, not AFL. As my old accounting Prof. Devlin used to say "Read the question and answer the question". It's a bit of a trick question because they changed names but that's why I asked it. Sometimes 81 is a trickster. NOW STFU. You lost and are no longer the Trivia King. Wang is the new King. May he live long and be delicious forever. If I suck up to Wang enough then they will let me into the Rat Pack and I shall banish you to MA's forthwith with my new mod powers. Be gone you member of the proletariat. I shan't have time for you any longer. :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:32 pm

I will not respect you, or your future quizzes, if you cave in to Campion's outrageous demands.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:35 pm

81 - Appears you didn't need my pep talk - much respeck
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 02, 2009 4:46 pm

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:00 pm

campion {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
campion {l Wrote}:
1981Eagle {l Wrote}:
3. Katherine Switzer
5. skeleton
6. Sudbury
7. Springfield College
8. Gary Williams
9. Mike Mottau
10. Cocoanut Grove

I said NFL teams, not AFL. As my old accounting Prof. Devlin used to say "Read the question and answer the question". It's a bit of a trick question because they changed names but that's why I asked it. Sometimes 81 is a trickster. NOW STFU. You lost and are no longer the Trivia King. Wang is the new King. May he live long and be delicious forever. If I suck up to Wang enough then they will let me into the Rat Pack and I shall banish you to MA's forthwith with my new mod powers. Be gone you member of the proletariat. I shan't have time for you any longer. :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81

If that's the case then there are only 2 NFL teams, the Braves/Redskins and the Yanks. The Bulldogs and the Shamrocks were both AFL teams. You're backtracking now because you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

I will never answer another one of your trivia things again. You never get them right yourself. Just be aware that someone is out here who knows that you don't know shit.

I'm going to go with the precedent set by TRE. I admit I was wrong. The information I was referring to was incorrect. Upon further review, there is indisputable video evidence that Campion is correct. Claim your prize oh Grand Master of Trivia. Do you want a new signature, avatar? Name your price.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:01 pm

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:09 pm

As the winner, Campion has decided to keep AC's avatar. I will be sure to run a trivia contest next week so I don't have to live with this avatar too long. :D :D
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:12 pm

For the record books, Wang will be listed as a co-winner just like HC87/Campion last time.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium