Official Future Scheduling Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Future Scheduling Thread

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:46 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:OOC will be cupcake city as long as Bates is in charge. Look at the teams he's scheduled since he's been here. Stanford is the only name team I can think of. A lot of the remaining fan base might be dead by the time those games get played. We need to get rid of this guy, he is just an awful fit at BC.

Cupcake as in only one P5 and two G5's and an FCS every year, absolutely. I think Bates would love to go 3-1 OOC every year at the very worst.

Cupcake in terms of the one P5 marquee game, that remains to be seen. Purdue is cupcake P5, but there weren't many options left and we're rebuilding. I'd like to hope that moving forward Bates will be targeting more P5's like Stanford than like Purdue.

Personally, moreso than the OOC schedule, I think Bates needs to push for changes to the ACC scheduling. It's time for a Big East and ACC Division split. Give us VT, Miami, Louisville, Syracuse, VT and Pitt every year and the home slate starts looking better already. Just get rid of the fucking Carolina teams.

Howard and Wagner say hi.

In your ACC/BE split, we already play VT, Louisville and Cuse every year. You would exchange annual games with Clemson and FSU for games with Pitt and Miami. I'm not in favor of that. It would be nice to have Miami and Pitt on the schedule more often than NC State and Wake but that's the price you pay in the age of realignment. Can't wait to see what the B12 ends up looking like if/when they expand.

I'm also assuming no permanent crossover in my scenario.

1) Trading FSU for Miami annually.
2) Trading Clemson for Pitt annually.
3) Trading NCST and Wake annually for two crossover's, which in most years would include one of either FSU, Clemson or GT.

Trades 1 and 2 alone aren't worth it, but trade number 3 makes it all worthwhile. Especially if you go to a 9 game schedule too, then you're playing 3/7 crossover every year and Clemson and FSU every other year practically.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle33 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:01 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagle33 {l Wrote}:OOC will be cupcake city as long as Bates is in charge. Look at the teams he's scheduled since he's been here. Stanford is the only name team I can think of. A lot of the remaining fan base might be dead by the time those games get played. We need to get rid of this guy, he is just an awful fit at BC.

Cupcake as in only one P5 and two G5's and an FCS every year, absolutely. I think Bates would love to go 3-1 OOC every year at the very worst.

Cupcake in terms of the one P5 marquee game, that remains to be seen. Purdue is cupcake P5, but there weren't many options left and we're rebuilding. I'd like to hope that moving forward Bates will be targeting more P5's like Stanford than like Purdue.

Personally, moreso than the OOC schedule, I think Bates needs to push for changes to the ACC scheduling. It's time for a Big East and ACC Division split. Give us VT, Miami, Louisville, Syracuse, VT and Pitt every year and the home slate starts looking better already. Just get rid of the fucking Carolina teams.

Howard and Wagner say hi.

In your ACC/BE split, we already play VT, Louisville and Cuse every year. You would exchange annual games with Clemson and FSU for games with Pitt and Miami. I'm not in favor of that. It would be nice to have Miami and Pitt on the schedule more often than NC State and Wake but that's the price you pay in the age of realignment. Can't wait to see what the B12 ends up looking like if/when they expand.

I'm also assuming no permanent crossover in my scenario.

1) Trading FSU for Miami annually.
2) Trading Clemson for Pitt annually.
3) Trading NCST and Wake annually for two crossover's, which in most years would include one of either FSU, Clemson or GT.

Trades 1 and 2 alone aren't worth it, but trade number 3 makes it all worthwhile. Especially if you go to a 9 game schedule too, then you're playing 3/7 crossover every year and Clemson and FSU every other year practically.

You failed to mention the 9 game schedule in your prior post and that may or may not not happen. That said, the problem right now is not ACC division members, it's the unwillingness of our AD to schedule bigums on open dates we have in this decade. Put some big name P5 teams on the schedule or GTFOOMAM.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:27 pm

I could do without dealing with Clemson and FSU every season.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:33 pm

Trade out NC St for Pitt and FSU for Miami in the Atlantic. BC, Pitt & SU should be in the same division along with Miami.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:55 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:2021 feels like a million years from now, but I will probably go.

Of course you will. I'll have upgraded to a bigger hottub by then, or I'll rent a bunch of them for the name tag event. At least I have a lot of time to plan. Everyone make your travel plans, it will be wild!
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:01 am

mod6A {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:yay?

better than uconn series, still underwhelming

a solid "meh". decent amount of alum in philly.

:whalepants

Yup. BC hasn't played either a hoops or football game in Philly in years. I keep thinking they'll play a hoops game down here but it never happens. So while this is still 5 years away it's something for us Philly-area alumni to look forward to. And assuming it gets the political/financial green light, Temple's new football stadium should be built by then, so there's that.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Jul 30, 2016 10:21 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Trade out NC St for Pitt and FSU for Miami in the Atlantic. BC, Pitt & SU should be in the same division along with Miami.

I'm sure we're not the only ones complaining. NCST and Wake don't get to play Duke every year.

It's time to do a Big East / ACC split. Initially, Swofford was probably worried about integrating the Big East schools in the culture of the ACC. But now, where 14 team conferences are the norm, pretending everyone is going to have equal interest in playing everyone else in such a large conference is naive. Embrace the history and rivalries that exist within the old setup.

Also, the biggest hold-up to doing a straight Big East / ACC split initially was the difficulty of putting all NC schools in the same division. Back when the ACC was only 12 teams that would've been Clemson, GT, NCST, Wake, Duke and UNC. At the time that was 4 bad teams and 2 good teams. Way too much competitive inequality. But now with Louisville and Syracuse also from the old Big East, pushing FSU into the ACC division; and most especially the fact that Duke and UNC have taken big steps forward competitively, there would be much less competitive inequality from an Big East / ACC Split. Has to happen.

ACC East:
- VT
- Louisville
- Miami
- BC
- Syracuse
- Pitt
- UVa

ACC Coastal:
- Clemson
- GT
- FSU
- UNC
- Wake
- Duke
- NCST

The only complication is maintaining the few necessary crossovers (Miami-FSU and UVa-UNC)
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:55 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Temple added to schedule in 2018 (BC) and 2021 (Philly).

Another game BC will undoubtedly have to expand Alumni's seating capacity for.

How can the school reasonably be expected to handle the pandemonium that playing Purdue and Temple is going to generate...IN THE SAME YEAR NO LESS!!!!111!
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:55 pm

The ACC/Big East split is perfect if ND joins. I like it for baseball too.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:51 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Trade out NC St for Pitt and FSU for Miami in the Atlantic. BC, Pitt & SU should be in the same division along with Miami.

I'm sure we're not the only ones complaining. NCST and Wake don't get to play Duke every year.

It's time to do a Big East / ACC split. Initially, Swofford was probably worried about integrating the Big East schools in the culture of the ACC. But now, where 14 team conferences are the norm, pretending everyone is going to have equal interest in playing everyone else in such a large conference is naive. Embrace the history and rivalries that exist within the old setup.

Also, the biggest hold-up to doing a straight Big East / ACC split initially was the difficulty of putting all NC schools in the same division. Back when the ACC was only 12 teams that would've been Clemson, GT, NCST, Wake, Duke and UNC. At the time that was 4 bad teams and 2 good teams. Way too much competitive inequality. But now with Louisville and Syracuse also from the old Big East, pushing FSU into the ACC division; and most especially the fact that Duke and UNC have taken big steps forward competitively, there would be much less competitive inequality from an Big East / ACC Split. Has to happen.

ACC East:
- VT
- Louisville
- Miami
- BC
- Syracuse
- Pitt
- UVa

ACC Coastal:
- Clemson
- GT
- FSU
- UNC
- Wake
- Duke
- NCST

The only complication is maintaining the few necessary crossovers (Miami-FSU and UVa-UNC)

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:23 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:The ACC/Big East split is perfect if ND joins. I like it for baseball too.

Add ND and WVU (after the Big 12 collapses):

ACC East:
- ND
- Miami
- VT
- WVU
- Louisville
- Pitt
- BC
- Syracuse

ACC Coastal:
- FSU
- Clemson
- GT
- UNC
- Duke
- Wake
- NCST
- UVa

It's actually pretty awesome.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Hansen {l Wrote}:Image

8-)
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:46 pm

Can't believe no one has talked about the best thing about Temple being back on the schedule...

PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:08 pm

Louisiville and Pitt should swap, and end the fake rivalry game.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:33 pm

Temple is fine for a 1-for-1.

I have 0 interest in scheduling Arkansas, that game makes no sense whatsoever
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:36 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Temple is fine for a 1-for-1.

Apples & oranges. Temple falls into the Directional Michigan, Yukon... cupcake category. Arkansas (and where did you see this?) would fall into the Purdue, Stanford... but not quiet 0.0hio St., USC category. Tiers 3, 2, and 1 if you will. I have no interest in playing Arkansas, Purdue or 0.0hio St. As long as we have to play FSU, Clempson, VTech & Louisville every season, I am not sure why we should play a tier 2 & 1 nonconf in the same season.
Some teams I would like to play: Iowa, Texas, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Wisc.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:43 pm

The key OOC match-up that needs to be scheduled is Penn State. Both BC and Penn State have 2026 and 2027 unscheduled as far as P5. Penn State has shown interest in playing local P5's, with PSU having a reasonable fan base in Boston, and the enthusiasm the Pinstripe Bowl drew, there's really no excuse for not making this happen. That would make the middle 2020's: Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State and Stanford. That's a pretty damn good decade.

2021 is the one remaining P5 requirement. I'm hoping Bates realizes that 2019 is looking like a really shitty home schedule, with ND on the road and only FSU and VT from the ACC coming to town (and the two shitty NC Atlantic teams). Right now we have only two G5 openings left and there's no G5 teams out there that would move the needle on season ticket sales. Bates needs to schedule a second P5 in 2019 in addition to Notre Dame. It would be a really surprising move, but at least that way we can do a 2019 and 2021 home and home, leaving the the much easier to schedule 2026 and 2027 openings as a pair.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:10 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Temple is fine for a 1-for-1.

Apples & oranges. Temple falls into the Directional Michigan, Yukon... cupcake category. Arkansas (and where did you see this?) would fall into the Purdue, Stanford... but not quiet 0.0hio St., USC category. Tiers 3, 2, and 1 if you will. I have no interest in playing Arkansas, Purdue or 0.0hio St. As long as we have to play FSU, Clempson, VTech & Louisville every season, I am not sure why we should play a tier 2 & 1 nonconf in the same season.
Some teams I would like to play: Iowa, Texas, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Auburn, Tennessee, Wisc.

Some I know mentioned that BC had at least thought about it with them dropping Michigan. BCI also mentioned the possibility.

Have no interest in going to Fayetville (same reason I think Purdue is a stupid series) and frankly we'd get mauled by Arkansas.

Purdue continues to be stupid because we don't recruit Indiana at all
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby westcoastbernie on Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:31 pm

If they go to a 9 game ACC schedule you could round robin the entire league by having one permanent opponent (say Syracuse) and set up the remaining 12 schools in 3 pods of 4 teams each. You could set it up like this:

Pod A
Duke
FSU
GT
VT

Pod B
Miami
Clemson
UVA
Wake

Pod C
NC State
UNC
Pitt
Louisville

You then schedule Syracuse home/home every year and roll Pod A and B in year 1, Pod A are home games, Pod B are road games, year 2 roll in Pod C as your road games, Pod B as your home games and year 3 Pod C are your home games and Pod Pod A are your road games. You just repeat it over and over. That way you will play every team home/home in the conference at least once every 4 years. Every player will get at least one game at Miami. FSU, Clemson and VT in their career. Throw in ND once every 3 years and schedule another national P5 (Northwestern, Vandy, Cal, UCLA, Texas, etc.) in a home/home you would have 10 P5 games every year, plus play UMass/UConn/Temple/Army/Navy (of course after the service academies' current ADs leave or retire) on a round robin kind of schedule and open with an FCS like Holy Cross, UNH, Maine or some other CAA opponent and that would be a pretty good schedule. You would have set games, a robust schedule and actually make buying season tickets worth it. And the ACC would have all their teams set up with their "rival" each year on the last game of the regular season. I think it would be a great move.

A schedule like this would be quite possible

Holy Cross
ND
UMass
Syracuse
Duke
FSU
GT
VT
Miami
Clemson
UVA
Wake

and the next year you would have

UNH
Cal
UConn
Syracuse
Miami
Clemson
UVA
Wake
UNC
NC State
Pitt
Louisville

And finally in year 3

Maine
Temple
Northwestern
Syracuse
UNC
NC State
Pitt
Louisville
Duke
FSU
GT
VT

...and keep repeating and swapping in P5s in non ND years.

As for the ACCCG, you would have the two highest ranked teams in the playoff rankings paly each other for the title in Charlotte. I think it would work. But I don't think the ACC will do it as the Carolina schools control that league and they won't do anything to help the fringe schools like a BC
westcoastbernie
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:07 am

didn't the acc try to pass deregulation on determining the conf championship teams and it failed?

just get rid of the dopey cross over rivalry game, not rocket science
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:15 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:didn't the acc try to pass deregulation on determining the conf championship teams and it failed?

just get rid of the dopey cross over rivalry game, not rocket science

Yep. The ACC was pushing for more flexibility in how a conference chooses the participants in the conference championship game. I'm not sure the specific wording of their proposal ever came out, but most of the media sources speculated that the ACC was pushing for 3 pods of teams with the "top 2" teams getting into the championship game. The media narrative is that the BIG sunk this deal because they saw it as a means for the ACC further integrate ND into football. Not sure how that would've worked out (maybe with ND's 5 ACC games being enough to "win" their pod and play in the ACCCG?) but it's the story.

You can still do a pod setup, but you just can't call it a pod setup, you need to have two divisions and the division winners play each other. But there's no rule that says that divisions need to be fixed from year-to-year. Apparently a few years ago the MWC was rotating divisions annually and it was within the rules. The ACC could go to pods but every year would need to declare what the divisions are.

So....

ACC East: Miami, Louisville, BC, Syracuse
ACC Central: VT, UVa, Pitt
ACC Carolina: UNC, Wake, Duke, NCST
ACC South: GT, Clemson, FSU

2017 Divisions: East+Central vs. Carolina+South
2018 Divisions: East+South vs. Carolina+Central
2019 Divisions: East(less Miami)+Carolina vs. Central+South(+Miami)
2020 Divisions: East+Central vs. Carolina+South
etc...

This is 100% within the rules and it's effectively a pod system. But there's no way to incorporate ND into that unless they go full ACC.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:32 am

Philly is cracking down on dumpster pools? Ugh. So my plan for the big Temple/BC hot-tub meet up just became more difficult: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/weak-ass-bureaucrats-to-heroic-philly-citizens-stop-tu-1784822038

Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:37 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:Philly is cracking down on dumpster pools? Ugh. So my plan for the big Temple/BC hot-tub meet up just became more difficult: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/weak-ass-bureaucrats-to-heroic-philly-citizens-stop-tu-1784822038

That made my morning. Thanks.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:10 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:Philly is cracking down on dumpster pools? Ugh. So my plan for the big Temple/BC hot-tub meet up just became more difficult: http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/weak-ass-bureaucrats-to-heroic-philly-citizens-stop-tu-1784822038

The Streets Department will not issue any future block party permits to the 2400 block of Cedar, and officials have contacted the dumpster rental company regarding its failures to obtain the proper closure permits and to take mandatory measures to protect the street during placement of the dumpster.

Not only will they issue a permit next summer, but the party will have sponsors and the dumpster and water will be provided free of cost.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:14 am

Stolen from BCI, but apparently GT's AD Mike Bobinski is out there saying the ACC is considering mandating 2 OOC P5's annually to generate attractive games for the future ACC Network, rather than expand to a 9 game schedule.

Obviously teams like FSU, Clemson, and GT who already have an annual P5 rival and play a 2nd interesting P5 almost every year are going to push this. 9 conference game, plus a fixed rival, plus an interesting 2nd OOC game only leaves 1 cupcake for these teams. With that said, I can't see the rest of the conference preferring this to a 9 game schedule. A 9 game schedule just goes so far in increasing the frequency that teams play each other.

If I had to guess how this vote would go:
- BC: 9 game schedule (wants to play Miami more often)
- Syracuse: 9 game schedule (wants to play Miami more often)
- Wake: 9 game schedule (wants to play UNC more often)
- Duke: 9 game schedule (wants to play NCST more often)
- UNC: 9 game schedule (wants to play Wake more often)
- NCST: 9 game schedule (wants to play Duke more often)
- VT: On the fence
- UVa: On the fence
- Pitt: On the fence
- Miami: On the fence
- Louisville: 2 OOC (rival plus another P5)
- FSU: 2 OOC (rival plus another P5)
- Clemson: 2 OOC (rival plus another P5)
- GT: 2 OOC (rival plus another P5)

Of course, if the ACC agrees to shuffle divisions so everybody gets to play their favorites annually, maybe the rivalry schools can win some votes. But then again, unless other P5's also start mandating 2 OOC, there's only so many teams that are available to schedule. I'm not sure the math works anyway.

http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college/ ... gam/nsBhn/
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:38 pm

For the record I don't think BB is mandating BC play these awful OOCs. Daz wants 4 easy wins this year.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:57 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:For the record I don't think BB is mandating BC play these awful OOCs. Daz wants 4 easy wins every year and can't even beat wake.

fixed
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle33 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 6:12 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:For the record I don't think BB is mandating BC play these awful OOCs. Daz wants 4 easy wins this year.

If Sarge is OK with scheduling teams like Howard and Wagner I don't want him coaching my team. They do nothing to help BC's image or improve the team. The fact Bates is scheduling teams like this shows he just doesn't get it, is a horrible fit at BC, and should not be our AD. Please God, let the Blauds rumor be true.
eagle33
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:14 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:For the record I don't think BB is mandating BC play these awful OOCs. Daz wants 4 easy wins this year.

If Sarge is OK with scheduling teams like Howard and Wagner I don't want him coaching my team. They do nothing to help BC's image or improve the team. The fact Bates is scheduling teams like this shows he just doesn't get it, is a horrible fit at BC, and should not be our AD. Please God, let the Blauds rumor be true.

This should have been the last year that we schedule shit teams like this. Starting next year, it should have been time for Sarge to prove he can get 7 wins against a decent schedule.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:59 pm

BC needs to get back to (1) Notre Dame/Stanford/PSU/USC or its functional equivalent, (2) UConn/Temple/Purdue/Vandy or its functional equivalent, (3) Top MAC or WAC or its functional equivalent, (4) UMass - as its 4-game OOC schedule.

Problem is BC wants nothing to do with (2) and (1) wants nothing to do with BC
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium