Iowa, Cincinnati, Boise, and TCU

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Iowa, Cincinnati, Boise, and TCU

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:41 am

Okay, with Oregon whaling on USC, that Boise State win over the Ducks (a game that wasn't really that close) is looking to be the biggest regular season OOC win in all of college football. So Boise is probably pretty pissed right now. We all know that Iowa is pissed with "human beings" given the computers algorythms love them so much. Cincinnati, (a team that no one is giving respect other than Trevor M on ESPN) is fucking bullshit right now. And TCU has 4 big wins on their record (and that is more than what Florida or Alabama can say.) We all want the shitstorm. How likely would it be that 2009 would be the kind of shitstorm that would end this BCS bullshit once and for all (given how quiet things were after the 2004 semi-shitstorm?)

Personally, I think the BCS is too powerful. Even if all these teams run the table and they are denied any chance at the NC, I don't think anything will change. And if this does happen and nothing changes, then (perhaps) nothing ever will change.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Re: Iowa, Cincinnati, Boise, and TCU

Postby legend10B on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:45 am

Sen. Hatch is already making noise in Congress. If Boise gets left out, I would expect some serious noise to start to come out of Washington.
legend10B
n00b

Postby apbc12 on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:45 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:How likely would it be that 2009 would be the kind of shitstorm that would end this BCS bullshit once and for all

This is just as likely as it raining buffalo wings. Both would be awesome, neither will happen.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:46 am

If those 4 teams go undefeated and all 4 are not invited to the NC game then the BCS will blow up and it will prove my point that even BCS conf. teams like Cincy and Iowa can't get a fair shake because they are not part of the 15-20 team BCS cabal of teams that are "expected" and therefore "are" invited to the NC game. Not part of the cabal means a high probablity of no invite to the NC even if you run the table. It will be a good proxy for what might have happened to us 3 years ago.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:49 am

I think this is just real BAD LUCK for Iowa and Cincinnati. They just happened to pick a year to be awesome the same year a bunch of other teams just happened to be awesome. That wasn't the case for BC in 2007. But it sure as shit was the case for Auburn in 2004.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:49 am

1981Eagle {l Wrote}:If those 4 teams go undefeated and all 4 are not invited to the NC game then the BCS will blow up and it will prove my point that even BCS conf. teams like Cincy and Iowa can't get a fair shake because they are not part of the 15-20 team BCS cabal of teams that are "expected" and therefore "are" invited to the NC game. Not part of the cabal means a high probablity of no invite to the NC even if you run the table. It will be a good proxy for what might have happened to us 3 years ago.

I thought you weren't coming back. Do you still want all of your information removed from this board, or are you done crying? If you are staying, welcome back.

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:00 pm

I am staying because TRE told me in a post yesterday that he loved me. It mean't so much to me. How could I leave that poor soul now that he has so fully and eloquently expressed his heartfelt feelings? Transitive kisses all over to TRE.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:05 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Okay, with Oregon whaling on USC, that Boise State win over the Ducks (a game that wasn't really that close) is looking to be the biggest regular season OOC win in all of college football. So Boise is probably pretty pissed right now. We all know that Iowa is pissed with "human beings" given the computers algorythms love them so much. Cincinnati, (a team that no one is giving respect other than Trevor M on ESPN) is fucking bullshit right now. And TCU has 4 big wins on their record (and that is more than what Florida or Alabama can say.) We all want the shitstorm. How likely would it be that 2009 would be the kind of shitstorm that would end this BCS bullshit once and for all (given how quiet things were after the 2004 semi-shitstorm?)

Personally, I think the BCS is too powerful. Even if all these teams run the table and they are denied any chance at the NC, I don't think anything will change. And if this does happen and nothing changes, then (perhaps) nothing ever will change.

Iowa will lose. Cincy winning out is more likely, but still not in the bag at all. Personally I still think Texas will lose. For me that means the national title should be the winner of UF/Bama and either BSU or TCU. Too bad it won't happen.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:08 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Okay, with Oregon whaling on USC, that Boise State win over the Ducks (a game that wasn't really that close) is looking to be the biggest regular season OOC win in all of college football. So Boise is probably pretty pissed right now. We all know that Iowa is pissed with "human beings" given the computers algorythms love them so much. Cincinnati, (a team that no one is giving respect other than Trevor M on ESPN) is fucking bullshit right now. And TCU has 4 big wins on their record (and that is more than what Florida or Alabama can say.) We all want the shitstorm. How likely would it be that 2009 would be the kind of shitstorm that would end this BCS bullshit once and for all (given how quiet things were after the 2004 semi-shitstorm?)

The only outcry will come if ND gets a bid at 10-2 over any of the following: a one-loss B11 team, a second team from the SEC, an undefeated TCU or BSU team. No one will think a 14th ranked ND is deserving. And, given how much money a second at-large costs a conference or an non-BCS school, ND and the BCS will be obliterated by that result. Sorry to offend all the merrymen for trashing your favorite football team, but it's the truth.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:11 pm

If history tells us anything, I expect at least 2 of those teams to lose a game. Iowa has tOSU, Minn, and NW. None of those teams are great, but capable of winning. Cinci has Ucunnt, WVU, Illinois, and Pitt. 3 of those games are reasonable competition. The Basqueeritos should run the table, but their schedule is terrible. Oregon is clearly not the same team that played them in week 1, and humans (with their biases) will reason that Oregon would beat them if the game was today. TCU also looks to have a pretty smooth road ahead, but nothing to excite the humans to put them ahead of the media favorites. I give them credit for their attempt to schedule quality OOC opponents in UVA (can't help that they suck) and Clemson, and their win against teh Clem gets stronger if they keep winning. So long as one of UF and Bama as well as Texas win out, none of the 4 teams mentioned above has a good enough argument that they deserve it over the SEC winner and Texas - especially not Boise or TCU.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:20 pm

Just imagine how much messier this shit would be if G-Tech beat Miami and Houston beat El Paso.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:49 pm

Imagine the ratings TRE, imagine the ratings!
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:01 pm

If history tells us anything, I expect at least 2 of those teams to lose a game.

I would agree with "history" if this was mid to late October.

It is now November. I mean Iowa has a toughie @ Ohio State but that is it. Texas has aleady beaten everyone. Any team Texas plays in the Big XII Championship would be a team they already beat. Florida and Alabama will only lose to each other. There is no one left on TCU's or Boise's schedule that could beat either team. And Cincinnati may have a couple tough games left, but I think the real meat of their schedule is well behind them.

It is November. All seven teams are now 8-0 or 9-0, not 6-0.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby nsbcfan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:13 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:I think this is just real BAD LUCK for Iowa and Cincinnati. They just happened to pick a year to be awesome the same year a bunch of other teams just happened to be awesome. That wasn't the case for BC in 2007. But it sure as shit was the case for Auburn in 2004.

Exactly right. The way this stupid system is set up right now, all teams go into the season knowing that if both the SEC and Big 12 Champion go undefeated then they are out of the National Championship game. (Possible exception is USC).
nsbcfan
n00b

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:13 pm

The only outcry will come if ND gets a bid at 10-2 over any of the following: a one-loss B11 team, a second team from the SEC, an undefeated TCU or BSU team. No one will think a 14th ranked ND is deserving.

Restaurant owners, hotel owners, and airlines will think a 14th ranked ND is deserving. Notre Dame sends twice as many spendy fans to a BCS game as Boise or TCU would (combined.)
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:17 pm

There will be no shitstorm out of Iowa or Cincinnati. The decision-makers at those universities know that they make more with the BCS than without the BCS. Sure Kelly or Ferentz might bellyache a bit, but the more detached admins realize that in the grand scheme of things the BCS is a benefit to them.
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:24 pm

UnionvilleUConnFan {l Wrote}:There will be no shitstorm out of Iowa or Cincinnati. The decision-makers at those universities know that they make more with the BCS than without the BCS. Sure Kelly or Ferentz might bellyache a bit, but the more detached admins realize that in the grand scheme of things the BCS is a benefit to them.

That is exactly why I think an undefeated BC team three years ago might have gotten screwed. We aren't part of the BCS cabal--just part of the BCS so they make us all think we have a chance. That chance only occurs if we run the table with Big-Gums on it and there are no one loss teams in the cabal.
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:27 pm

That is exactly why I think an undefeated BC team three years ago might have gotten screwed.

You are high on crack. Stop this or should I go get the space vampire?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby RegalBCeagle on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:43 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:If history tells us anything, I expect at least 2 of those teams to lose a game.

I would agree with "history" if this was mid to late October.

It is now November. I mean Iowa has a toughie @ Ohio State but that is it. Texas has aleady beaten everyone. Any team Texas plays in the Big XII Championship would be a team they already beat. Florida and Alabama will only lose to each other. There is no one left on TCU's or Boise's schedule that could beat either team. And Cincinnati may have a couple tough games left, but I think the real meat of their schedule is well behind them.

It is November. All seven teams are now 8-0 or 9-0, not 6-0.

2 of the 4 teams will lose. Cinci has WVU and Pitt ahead of them. That's the "meat" of their schedule. They also have to face the best team in New England.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:47 pm

There will be no shitstorm out of Iowa or Cincinnati. The decision-makers at those universities know that they make more with the BCS than without the BCS.

It isn't about Cincinnati or Iowa as much as it's about the Big East and the Big Ten. If Ohio State was undefeated right now, they would be above Iowa but behind Texas, Alabama, and Florida. And if Texas wins out and a 12-0 Alabama is playing a 12-0 Florida in early December, then a 12-0 Ohio State would have gotten as close to the National Championship as an 0-12 Utah State. Perhaps there wouldn't be an "outcry" from the University (as it is the same money no matter if it is the Rose Bowl or the NC), but there would be outcry from the fans of Ohio State (and they are legion) and there would be a huge outcry from the conference. We are getting those outcrys from the Big East and the Big Ten(11) already.

Sure Kelly or Ferentz might bellyache a bit,

They already are. They were bellyaching 2 weeks ago. Now we are getting bellyaching from the conferances because thise crap is costing them millions of dollars. Come December 3rd, if Iowa and Cincinnati are sitting at 12-0 with no mathematical shot at a national championship (THUS denying Pittsburgh and Penn State any shot at the At-Large BCS bids in favor of the SEC Championship loser and Notre Dame), Senator Orwin Hatch just got two huge fucking allies in his personal Congressional Vendetta against the BCS. Those allies are (of course) the Big East and the Big Ten(11.)

but the more detached admins realize that in the grand scheme of things the BCS is a benefit to them.

It appears to be MORE of a benefit to the SEC, Notre Dame, and the Big XII than it is to the ACC, the Big Ten(11), the Big East, or the Pac 10. That is a problem for the BCS.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby vanderslice on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:49 pm

The NBE league office did the same thing a few years ago in 2005 (i think it was) for Rutgers...they schedule cupcakes for the first 2 months of the season and then make any difficult games late season so they can generate national hype, big ratings late in the year etc. And, like that Rutgers team, which i believe was also undefeated going into November, Cincy will not make it through unscathed, esp. with Pike being banged up. They are a good team, but it is a fraudulent comparison to compare them to FLA, TX or even Boise St.
vanderslice
n00b

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:56 pm

vanderslice {l Wrote}:The NBE league office did the same thing a few years ago in 2005 (i think it was) for Rutgers...they schedule cupcakes for the first 2 months of the season and then make any difficult games late season so they can generate national hype, big ratings late in the year etc. And, like that Rutgers team, which i believe was also undefeated going into November, Cincy will not make it through unscathed, esp. with Pike being banged up. They are a good team, but it is a fraudulent comparison to compare them to FLA, TX or even Boise St.

That's retarded- anyone with half a brain knows a late season loss hurts more in the polls than an early season one.

You really think the Big East office expected Cincinnati to be undefeated by now?
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby vanderslice on Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:23 pm

UnionvilleUConnFan {l Wrote}:
vanderslice {l Wrote}:The NBE league office did the same thing a few years ago in 2005 (i think it was) for Rutgers...they schedule cupcakes for the first 2 months of the season and then make any difficult games late season so they can generate national hype, big ratings late in the year etc. And, like that Rutgers team, which i believe was also undefeated going into November, Cincy will not make it through unscathed, esp. with Pike being banged up. They are a good team, but it is a fraudulent comparison to compare them to FLA, TX or even Boise St.

That's retarded- anyone with half a brain knows a late season loss hurts more in the polls than an early season one.

You really think the Big East office expected Cincinnati to be undefeated by now?

Yup. Dosen't take a BC degree to figure out that Cincy, WVU and Pitt were the only teams in that crappy league that had any chance of making any sort of national noise and they all play each other late. And Tranghese went on record when he was commissioner of saying that the league purposely set up late season games for that exact reason.
vanderslice
n00b

Return to Alumni Stadium