Current Scholarship status/positional breakdowns by class

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Current Scholarship status/positional breakdowns by class

Postby hansen on Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:53 pm

MF73-Eleazar wrote:Which OL on the roster currently has played center for us in the past?

Petrula... I think C is was his best position
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby plcatalano on Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:22 pm

Actually Lindstrom may return. I thought he declared to leave, but he hasn’t yet,
plcatalano
n00b

Postby BCEagles66 on Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:22 pm

plcatalano wrote:Actually Lindstrom may return. I thought he declared to leave, but he hasn’t yet,

I’ll be shocked if he leaves. Has grown a lot as a linemen and doesn’t seem like he’s plateaued. Also unlikely to be challenged for his starting spot and wouldn’t be drafted above day two if at all today...no brainer to come back in my opinion.

Somewhat surprised Johnson is back since I thought he was participating in the senior bowl. Never hurts to have more depth but really hoping someone puts up a fight for playing time and that it’s actually an open competition.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Dec 28, 2020 7:41 pm

BCEagles66 wrote:
plcatalano wrote:Actually Lindstrom may return. I thought he declared to leave, but he hasn’t yet,

I’ll be shocked if he leaves. Has grown a lot as a linemen and doesn’t seem like he’s plateaued. Also unlikely to be challenged for his starting spot and wouldn’t be drafted above day two if at all today...no brainer to come back in my opinion.

Somewhat surprised Johnson is back since I thought he was participating in the senior bowl. Never hurts to have more depth but really hoping someone puts up a fight for playing time and that it’s actually an open competition.

Angry NFL Scout Vet has a good thread about all this. Basically it will be hard for undrafted free agents to make an impression this year, vs. a normal draft and training camp in 2022. However, the pool of prospects will thin this season such that some guys who would be prioritized undrafted free agents go in RoundS 5 or 6, while in 2022 some who would normally be drafted in say Round 6 will be undrafted.

I think this means you better have a meaningful way to raise your stock if you’re going to stay another year in college. McDuffie, for example, isn’t going to raise his stock much next season, especially as he risks getting beaten out to start. Neither he nor Richardson played very well, so it’s certainly possible a transfer (like the one from Temple) plus a freshman could leave McDuffie as #3 in a 2-man race. So better to go swim in a relatively thin NFL pool, and hope one of 32 teams sees you as worth a 7th round pick (meaning a good bonus regardless).

Lindstrom should also go. He’s a center through and through, and won’t really show any other versatility in college. He’s probably a sixth or seventh rounder in a normal year, if not a priority free agent. But with a thicker pool next year and not much reason to think he’ll evolve substantially from where he is now, he should go,

Petrula’s in a tough boat if Lindstrom stays. I don’t think he showed himself very well at guard, and even this spring wouldn’t get drafted. So as a UDFA he’s stuck trying to impress in limited glimpses between Covid outbreaks.

But if Lindstrom goes, Petrula can flop back to center with more opportunity to work out than last spring. Personally I think he showed himself best at Center, though in the NFL he could be used anywhere on the right side in a pinch. That would be attractive enough to me to stay and swim in the deep waters in 2022?

Johnson? He got some (poor) tape as a LT. For his NFL chances, he needs to play guard. If after an offseason Conley can join Vrabel at OT, then guard should serve BC best as well. I’m thrilled with what I’ve seen from Hafley’s first year EXCEPT the line play. The offense itself was imaginatively productive (albeit overweighted to passing), the D served as an effective proof of concept, and the game day tactics and adjustments were stellar. But there were some weird dynamics on the O-Line, and I suspect coaching was more the issue than lack of practice/conditioning time.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium