Current Scholarship status/positional breakdowns by class

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Current Scholarship status/positional breakdowns by class

Postby 25GeraldRd on Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:14 pm

Bernard Lonergan {l Wrote}:OL - Schmal has been playing inside. Phillips is first one in at either guard. Lindstrom will slide over to tackle and Palazolla backing up T as well. Not sure who has been getting backup reps at C.
WR - Kobay White and Jeff Smith are two best looking WRs. Callinan is vocal leader of group. Garrison is fully practicing and will be on two deep if he stays healthy.
QB - Brown getting more 1st team reps.
RB - Deep, deep group. Freshmen look very good and will play. Dillon is the best of the group, lots of talent there. Hopefully, he learns how to block out of the backfield. He is too fast for guys his size to tacle, and too big for other guys to tackle. When he breaks through first level and gets going downhill, DBs look scared to take him on.
TEs - Sweeney far and away best of group. Looks like a prototypical TE.
Overally, lots of quick tempo with multiple sets. RBs split out wide, TEs and WRs in the backfield... Looks very different on O. Will come down to OLine play and QB play but we are deep, fast, and looking good at other positions.

DL - Ray Smith will be in the middle, with Zach Allen (though he is outside at times) and Merritt third man in.
DEs - Wyatt Ray and Harold Landry might be best duo in a deep ACC. In fact, starting 4 D lineman might be better than '12-'13 TB Bucs.
Other projections look about right, no one really standing out too much. Yiadom and Lucas Dennis are best of the backfield.

D is usually so far ahead of the O at this point, but not looking that way this year. Not sure if that is good news (O has improved), bad news (D is dropping off this year) or, more likely, a bit of both. Fun time of year (undefeated season right now!).

Bernie - any insight into the scrimmage? top 5 OL, OLB's that played?
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:33 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:Sebastion is wearing #29 this year. Ntantang not coming back for his 5th year or did he switch numbers also?

BS #37 on this roster: http://bceagles.com/roster.aspx?path=football

Ntantang not on this roster: http://www.bceagles.com/documents/2017/ ... rdBook.pdf
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby 25GeraldRd on Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:21 am

https://twitter.com/MichaelJSully/status/902534670474235904

Sully posted a pic of the BC two-deep.

the 7-man OL rotation looks like Monteiro, Phillips/Schmal, Baker, C. Lindstrom/Phillips, Lazard/Lindstrom. i know of no other teams that employ this successfully, does anyone else? wtf is OL Guru Daz thinking here?

in classic DAZ fashion he has yet to name a starting QB.

WR starters are Callinan, Glines/Walker, and J. Smith/Kobay White.

Chris Garrison is now listed as a backup TE. interesting.

looks like Strachan will be the SLB filling in where Milano was last year, and Richardson will be MLB.

true freshmen on the 2-deep: A. Lindstrom, Petrula, Dillon, Levy, McDuffie
25GeraldRd
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:52 am

Well that is a more than satisfactory answer to the LB question.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:26 pm

Two wins can bring some irrational optimism...

With all the possible medical redshirts, next year's roster looks pretty damn strong. DL the only real question mark. Of course, I'm assuming a lot of medical 4edshirts...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby 2014 Eagle on Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:47 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Two wins can bring some irrational optimism...

With all the possible medical redshirts, next year's roster looks pretty damn strong. DL the only real question mark. Of course, I'm assuming a lot of medical 4edshirts...

Time to resurrect the counterweight of optimism thread?
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 pm

2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Two wins can bring some irrational optimism...

Time to resurrect the counterweight of optimism thread?

2016 cured me of any geniune optimism. Now my overly optimistic hope is to string a few 7-9 win seasons together to raise the talent for the next guy...whenever that may be.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:02 pm

Vitiello, Cohee, Stevens, Conte, Wilson, Wade, Hilliman, AND Flutie were all introduced on SR Day.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:57 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Vitiello, Cohee, Stevens, Conte, Wilson, Wade, Hilliman, AND Flutie were all introduced on SR Day.

I think they always introduce red shirt juniors regardless of whether they’re being invited back. I could be wrong.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:01 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Vitiello, Cohee, Stevens, Conte, Wilson, Wade, Hilliman, AND Flutie were all introduced on SR Day.

I think they always introduce red shirt juniors regardless of whether they’re being invited back. I could be wrong.

Schmal and Bletzer were not.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:41 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Schmal, Baker, Strachan and Bletzer were not.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:15 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Schmal, Baker, Strachan and Bletzer were not.

Of those names, Richard Wilson and Jon Hilliman surprise me the most.
Maybe because there is no guarantee Hilliman’s medical redshirt will be granted?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:06 am

They announced two groups. RS juniors that have graduated, or will this year, like Wade and Hilliman, went first. Players that have graduated and are out of eligibility went second. Has always been done this way and always leads to same questions.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:51 pm

If Wade puts together a similar performance to today in the bowl game, do you really let him walk away. He looked as good as anything we've seen from Brown so far, and if Brown isn't 100% how do you let Wade transfer?

Would be a good problem to have.

Wade's 2 P5 starts:
1) Kept BC in a game against eventual CFP Semifinalist FSU until the 4Q.
2) Crushed Syracuse on the road.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:01 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Wade's 2 P5 starts:

wtf
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:51 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:If Wade puts together a similar performance to today in the bowl game, do you really let him walk away. He looked as good as anything we've seen from Brown so far, and if Brown isn't 100% how do you let Wade transfer?

Wade's 2 P5 starts:

Unless he wants to be the backup The Captain can leave.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:59 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:If Wade puts together a similar performance to today in the bowl game, do you really let him walk away. He looked as good as anything we've seen from Brown so far, and if Brown isn't 100% how do you let Wade transfer?

Wade's 2 P5 starts:

Best QB performance of the year by far.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Wade's 2 P5 starts:

Best QB performance of the year by far.

Brown had a 98.3 against UVA (19/24 275 3/0) to Wades 96.6.
Wade certainly played very well today though.

Ps Seeing as I don’t think he will see time at the next level, I hope he sticks around. He would be a good option in case Brown goes down or good veteran presence for the young QBs on the roster (assuming he is granted a medical redshirt).
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:16 am

25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:an update as we head into the season. let me know who i'm missing or positional errors.

Seniors: Moore (DB), Landry (DE), Schwab (LB), Strachan (LB), Thadd Smith (WR), Yiadom (DB), McClary (DB), Schmal (OL), Baker (OL), Merrit (DT), Knoll (K), Wade (QB), Ntantang (DB), Lazard (OL), Callinan (WR)

Juniors: Robinson (WR), Allen (DE), Walker (WR), J. Smith (WR), Harris (DB), Ray (DE), Flutie (WR), Denis (DB), Torres (DB), Hilliman (RB), Wilson (RB), Bletzer (LB), Conte (OL), Monteiro (OL), Stevens (OL), Lindstrom (OL), Sweeney (TE), Vitiello (TE), Cohee (DL), Smith (DT), Lichtenberg (K)

Sophomores: Cheevers (DB), Richardson (LB), Davon Jones (RB), Glines (WR), Al-Attrach (DB), J. Martin (LB), Karafa (DE), Knopfke (OL), Pallazolo (OL), Phillips (OL), Johnson (OL), Garrison (WR), Borgersen (WR), Idrizi (TE), Marten (TE), Burt (TE)

Redshirt freshmen: White (WR), Brown (QB), Palmer (DB), McStravick (WR), Lamot (LB), Korutz (DL), Barlow (DE), Fish (OL), Leonard (OL), Ragan (OL), Morais (DE), Carlson (K)

True freshmen: Dillon (RB), Haynes (DB), Perry (QB), McDonald (QB), Lewis (WR), Sebastian (DB), Muse (DB), Levy (RB), Theobald (LB), Long (TE), McQuarrie (TE), Stewart (DB), McDuffie (LB), Petrula (OL), Lindstrom (OL), Stoneburner (WR), Jordan-Williams (WR), Brown (TE), Berry (DT), Emer (DL), Valdez (DE), Rayam (DT)

doing some quick math we're going to see some movement this offseason

20 committed // only 12 seniors leaving (strachan, baker & wade have another year)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:56 am

I think people are over valuing Browns performance. He did improve as the team started its 2nd half streak, but getting the run game had way more to do with the offense kicking in than Brown.

I do think he has some good tools to build on and was starting to look more comfortable before he was hurt, but he had one one real complete game against a .500 Virginia team.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:45 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I think people are over valuing Browns performance. He did improve as the team started its 2nd half streak, but getting the run game had way more to do with the offense kicking in than Brown.

I do think he has some good tools to build on and was starting to look more comfortable before he was hurt, but he had one one real complete game against a .500 Virginia team.

Agreed entirely. Brown has very exciting upside, but based on what we saw this season he still needs work. Can be very inaccurate at times and misses a lot of reads.

I'm being intentionally provocative with the Wade stuff, but if he has another similarly impressive game against a P5 team in the bowl, the kid deserves very serious consideration for the starting job next year. Especially if Brown is back but not as mobile come next fall. That's the one clear edge Brown has over Wade.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:16 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:an update as we head into the season. let me know who i'm missing or positional errors.

Seniors: Moore (DB), Landry (DE), Schwab (LB), Strachan (LB), Thadd Smith (WR), Yiadom (DB), McClary (DB), Schmal (OL), Baker (OL), Merrit (DT), Knoll (K), Wade (QB), Ntantang (DB), Lazard (OL), Callinan (WR)

Juniors: Robinson (WR), Allen (DE), Walker (WR), J. Smith (WR), Harris (DB), Ray (DE), Flutie (WR), Denis (DB), Torres (DB), Hilliman (RB), Wilson (RB), Bletzer (LB), Conte (OL), Monteiro (OL), Stevens (OL), Lindstrom (OL), Sweeney (TE), Vitiello (TE), Cohee (DL), Smith (DT), Lichtenberg (K)

Sophomores: Cheevers (DB), Richardson (LB), Davon Jones (RB), Glines (WR), Al-Attrach (DB), J. Martin (LB), Karafa (DE), Knopfke (OL), Pallazolo (OL), Phillips (OL), Johnson (OL), Garrison (WR), Borgersen (WR), Idrizi (TE), Marten (TE), Burt (TE)

Redshirt freshmen: White (WR), Brown (QB), Palmer (DB), McStravick (WR), Lamot (LB), Korutz (DL), Barlow (DE), Fish (OL), Leonard (OL), Ragan (OL), Morais (DE), Carlson (K)

True freshmen: Dillon (RB), Haynes (DB), Perry (QB), McDonald (QB), Lewis (WR), Sebastian (DB), Muse (DB), Levy (RB), Theobald (LB), Long (TE), McQuarrie (TE), Stewart (DB), McDuffie (LB), Petrula (OL), Lindstrom (OL), Stoneburner (WR), Jordan-Williams (WR), Brown (TE), Berry (DT), Emer (DL), Valdez (DE), Rayam (DT)

20 committed // only 12 seniors leaving (strachan, baker & wade have another year)

There will be a lot of attrition to make the numbers work.
Of the scholarship guys with eligibility remaining, pretty sure these guys are leaving: Wade, Hilliman, Stevens, Cohee, Wilson, Flutie, Vitiello, and Conte.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:12 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Of the scholarship guys with eligibility remaining, pretty sure these guys are leaving: Wade, Hilliman, Stevens, Cohee, Wilson, Flutie, Vitiello, and Conte.

Why do you think Hilliman won't come back? He would still get plenty of carries on a team that looks like it will be pretty good. Seems like there would be mutual interest in a fifth year.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:23 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Why do you think Hilliman won't come back? He would still get plenty of carries on a team that looks like it will be pretty good. Seems like there would be mutual interest in a fifth year.

When classes began this year, he said it was his last first day. Also, he was introduced on SR day.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:28 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

When classes began this year, he said it was his last first day. Also, he was introduced on SR day.

Again this is a dumber thing than the red shirt thing. They announce everyone that graduated on senior day. They announced Matt Ryan in 2006 not 2007. Means nothing. Hillman is a red shirt junior but he is a senior on senior day.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:29 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

His comment could also just be about being a senior and graduating. As for being introduced, as tw mentioned, they introduce people who are scheduled to graduate even if there is eligibility remaining.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Again this is a dumber thing than the red shirt thing. They announce everyone that graduated on senior day. They announced Matt Ryan in 2006 not 2007. Means nothing. Hillman is a red shirt junior but he is a senior on senior day.

Does it also mean nothing that Schmal, Baker, Strachan and Bletzer were not introduced on SR day?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:36 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Does it also mean nothing that Schmal, Baker, Strachan and Bletzer were not introduced on SR day?

Dude you are wrong. They announce players graduating. Then they literally announce players with no eligibility remaining second. They say those precise words out loud.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:40 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

Dude you are wrong. They announce players graduating. Then they literally announce players with no eligibility remaining second. They say those precise words out loud.

Hope I am, we will see. Again, there are going to be a lot of guys leaving early to fit all the verbals.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:29 pm

I think the nudge outs will be from the JR redshirts who have their degrees. As frustrating as he's been, Hilliman would be one of the last guys nudged out.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium