Syracuse Gameweek 2015

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Syracuse Gameweek 2015

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:42 pm

NOVEMBER 23, 2015

CHESTNUT HILL, Mass. - The Boston College football team (3-8) will wrap up the 2015 season with a bout at Syracuse (3-8) on Saturday in the Carrier Dome. Third-year head coach Steve Addazio, who was an assistant for four years with the Orange, know how difficult it can be to play in the unique venue. He discussed this, along with the Eagles' three-point loss to No. 5/4 Notre Dame at Fenway Park and the growth of the young team at his weekly press conference on Monday.

Wrapping up the loss to Notre Dame…
"We're coming off a really tough, hard fought physical football game against Notre Dame. As we talked about post game – and it was reinforced watching the tape – our kids, all of them, in all three phases, played very hard in that game. They battled. Our defense did a great job of forcing turnovers. Those were all forced turnovers. They weren't just turnovers. They were forced turnovers. Our offense in the second half started moving the ball very well. I thought our offensive line played very hard and competitively up front. On special teams, our coverage units, our kickoff return – which we thought was ready to make a burst onto the scene – did. So there are a lot of positives.

"As we move forward those are the games that this group of guys will learn how to win. That was a top-four team, a top-end team in college football today, and we played them nose up. It was all three phases at different times. Intensity, effort, how hard our guys played - I'm pretty proud of that."

On the bout with the Orange in Syracuse…
"We are going to play a Syracuse team that is a natural rival game. It's our rival game. We have to get on the road, go to the Dome and play them there. That's a hard venue to play in for a whole host of reasons. Having coached there for four years, I know it very well. It can be hard when it's packed and it's buzzing and crazy. It can also be hard when it's not packed because it can have this kind of eerie blank feeling in it sometimes. In either one of those scenarios atmosphere-wise or operational-wise can be hard.

"They have some very good players on their team. Exactly who the quarterback is, I don't know we know that yet. Both of those guys have had success running their offense. They have some good receivers, [including Ervin] Philips and Josh Parris, the tight end, is a very good player. On defense, I always thought Syracuse did a great job on defense. The head coach is a defensive guy and they are very well coordinated. They play very physical and they play very tough. Zaire Franklin, a kid I knew when I was at Temple, who we recruited, is a very good football player. He seems to be the guy who kind of puts that whole defense together and makes all the calls. Ron Thompson, a defensive end, I think is an outstanding football player. Antwan Cordy, the safety, is an excellent football player. On offense, when you talk about Rob Trudo. Their offensive line and their right guard, plays all kind of positions. I think Rob is an outstanding football player. I think he is physical; he is tough. He is a real key cog in that in that offensive line. Donnie Simmons at defensive end is a high-motor guy all over the field. So they got good players.

"I know they have a lot going on, from what I understand this morning, but Scott [Shafer] and his staff will do a great job rallying that team. Scott Shafer is a great football coach. He is a hell of a football coach and he is a hell of a guy. I think it is sad commentary right now to me with what has taken place today. I've got a lot of respect for him and his staff and I have obviously a lot of respect for that institution where I spent four years with a lot of great people and a lot of great tradition. It'll be a super challenge for us. We put a lot into last week's game. We need to get back to work tomorrow. We really need to get our energy. We need every ounce of passion, energy and intangible that we have and loaded up to play a great closing game."

On the Eagles growing from Saturday night's game…
"I saw some of it Saturday night at Fenway. So I think that is happening. Depending on the position, some positions are easier than others to speed that process up. I saw some of it in the offensive line. I saw some of it even with the young corners like Gabriel McClary and Taj-Amir Torres in the game. I see it in special teams. I saw growth with Jeff. I think Jeff Smith really took a step. He became a more physical player. John Fadule is still taking positive steps, but sometimes at that position, there is so much going on their plate that they can get overwhelmed a little bit. They still do. Jeff is just a little ahead of John because he had a couple more months ahead of him. Both those guys are in the same situation in that they're improving. I think what happens is that it is hard to judge game by game because with these guys at this stage, it can really roll up and down a little bit. I think it is the nature of the beast when you're a young player and you're in the grind. As a coach, when you are evaluating these things, over the body of work that each individual has, I think you can really assess what their potential and what their future is. And our assessment is that all these guys are going to be really good football players. Watching Michael Walker's evolution as a kickoff return guy. Every week, you can see it growing every week. Elijah Robinson, you can literally see him growing every week. But yet, in that last game he dropped a critical third-down ball. So you say, 'ok, what does that mean?' Nothing. It just means that he is a player and he is going to make some like that. Thaddeus Smith has been really great and we saw that. I trust him. I really love him as a player. He is going to have some [dropped passes], but they are going to become fewer. And the other ones are going to become greater. You can see it. You can see the body of work. I'm really encouraged by all of that. But the most encouraging thing of all is that we play hard. We're tough and we play hard. That's the starting point for building. You can have a talented team that doesn't play that hard and you're never going to win the way you are supposed to. But when you have this foundation and then you keep bringing talent in and you develop that talent, when the foundation is toughness and accountability and playing hard, then anything is possible as you grow. I think sometimes people look at it the other way around and you really shouldn't. This is the right beginning foundation. The key is to not be satisfied. To not sit here and justify where you are, but to just look at the facts and make great decisions with great promise to develop where you are going to go. That's what it comes down to. Plain and simple."

On if the players see the growth…
"They see it. If they didn't, they wouldn't have played the way they did on Saturday. Every one of the games we have played tough. There wasn't one where we didn't play tough. The team is playing hard and they can see it. We talked about it yesterday in our team meeting. They watched the film. When you watch the tape and [look at plays], guys know. Our team knows where we are offensively with the youth. I think the defense sees that fact that sometimes with young corners who are all of a sudden in the game. They all know. These are all smart guys. They get it. They believe in our plan. They've got a great mentality on our football team and a great attitude. It's a pleasure to be around. I want to see us close out and play with the same intensity."

On extracting the same type of energy for the Syracuse game at was displayed against Notre Dame…
"That is worry that you have right now because you played Notre Dame like that, and played them in a stadium like Fenway Park, and then you played the type of game we did – along the line of how many games this year came down to the wire – can creates a lot of disappointment and frustration. It's one thing if you get dusted. That has not happened to us. Not only has that not happened, but how many times has it come down to two points or three points or five. I think if you had one takeaway from our game on Saturday, you would call us tough and resilient. That's a good compliment. You'd probably have some other things to say, especially when it comes to me, and that's okay. That's all part of it."

On what to expect from Syracuse after the announcement that Saturday's game will be Scott Shafer's last…
"You don't know what to expect. That can go from A-Z. I've seen it all. You can see an emotionally-charged team on the last home game for the seniors, which you usually are going to get. You can see a letdown. You can see any of the above. I don't think you can predict it. Sometimes you just see some wide open stuff because. You could see anything."

On what Syracuse is going to see from BC…
"They are going to see BC. That's what they know. They're going to see a program that knows exactly what they want to do and how they want to do it, and kids who knows exactly what we do, and what we want to do. We are going to play with a lot of intensity."

On the mentality against Notre Dame…
"Our mindset for the last two weeks prior to [the Notre Dame] game was that all the coaches and all the players we are going to play aggressively. We were going to fight and scratch for every inch. We're going to set the tone for how hard we are going to go and how hard we are going to fight for each other. I had that kind of mentality in that game and part of that was going to be that we were going to try and block punts, we were going to run a fake punt and we were going to pop a kickoff return. We said that the day before the meeting. That was totally in our mindset We tried it all. Some worked. Some didn't.

"Everybody's got their own way. Some people might throw nine vertical routes. But in our way, we were going to be aggressive in every way we could be aggressive. We felt like we could pop that fake punt and we almost did. It was just one guy. We thought he would track that thing the other way, but he didn't
and he got us. Had he tracked it like we thought, we would have been out. But we did hit that kickoff return and we did go after a blocked punt and I'm happy we did all of it.

"I really wanted to do a couple other things, but just because of the field position we didn't get there. We had a couple trick plays we wanted to unload. But with those, you predicate those with positions on the field and game situations. But I didn't think the opportunity presented itself. Sometimes, you want to go with the flow of the game a little bit and in the second half, I thought we had a great opportunity to win that game so I wanted to be a little careful too."

On the missed opportunities…
"I really wish we were able to connect on that deep ball down the field. That would have really closed the gap. Then we stopped them on defense after that fake punt and we got them into that field goal position and they missed the field goal. But by straining to block the kick we ended up roughing the kicker and that resulted in another touchdown. That's a seven point swing right there. But that's just playing hard. There was nothing bone-headed going on out there. That was guys straining to make plays. Sometimes you'll see something foolish, but that wasn't the case. John Johnson was laying out for that thing. It wasn't like he was intentionally trying to hit the kicker. So you just have to roll through that stuff. I don't ever want to lose that. Sometimes those things roll for you and sometimes they roll against you. This year, it's like we've been on the short end of things, but that's the luck of the draw. But if you keep playing hard, you'll come out on the right end of those things. Those things always even out in the end.

On determining when to work in the two quarterbacks…
"We knew we wanted to get Jeff [Smith] into the game and we talked about doing it in the first half. But we were rolling in the first half and it just didn't seem right. Then when the second half came around we wanted to get him in, but the time we wanted to get him in we ended up being backed up inside the five. I wanted to put him in but then I pulled him aside and said, 'I'm not going to put you in here right now. I don't want you coming off the bench cold on the three-yard line.' So we waited until we had some field position and we put him in.

"That was the only decision I had to make. Towards the end, when we wanted to be in a more throwing mode, I wanted to get John [Fadule] back in the game. Not that I didn't think Jeff could handle it, but I wanted to get John in because he had more of that kind of work during the week [at practice]. It would have stayed that way, but then John got dinged and we were forced to put Jeff back in the game."

On the team's future growth…
"I wanted to see that development. I only had [the Notre Dame game] and this week to work up the guys that I think are the solution for this program. When's the next time I see these guys competitively? In Ireland? So at this point, we have to do some things as coaches that we want to see too. We want to be able to get some evaluation and let some guys play and that's part of it. That's where we are.

"I think [against Notre Dame] we got that right. I think Jeff provided us with a good spark and those two guys - they love it. They're great. It's not going to a revolving deal like it was earlier in the year. That jumped on us. This is not jumping on us. This is what we wanted to see.

"At the same time, if there was one guy in there and he was hot at a pistol, I'm not going to take him out. But if there's an opportunity, then I'd like to get him in the game. If there's not, then we won't. That's how it's explained."

On who will start at quarterback at Syracuse…
"Well, we've got some health issues that I haven't been able to look at. I kind of get that update today and can see. John [Fadule] went into the concussion protocol, so I can't really say because I don't know. I think John will be fine, but he's absolutely in that protocol, which he should be because safety is first and foremost.

"I don't really know if John will be ready for tomorrow and that'll factor into my decision. Just like it did the last time when Jeff [Smith] got hurt. Jeff got cleared last minute before the game on that Friday afternoon, but he hadn't taken a snap [all week at practice]. So I couldn't do that. That's not right either.

"I don't think that will be the case with John. But I don't know that either. That's not up to me. That's on the doctors."

On the mindset of the coaches right now…
"What we're doing right now is evaluating every week. We're trying to find out what's the best thing we can do with the guys we have right now to have the most success. One of the things we're fighting against is that it's just so hard to handle [the type of pressure that came with the Notre Dame game]. So it's almost making me think to just let them play as fast as they can. Just keep it as simple as possible.

"Last week, since we had two weeks [to prepare], we wanted to put a little more on the players. We did and I thought we had a really good plan. But early on, we were just missing a lot of those checks. It a little frustrating but I understand it. We handled it in practice so well, but there's a big difference between practice and when you're out there in a game.

"So we reevaluate these things and you say to yourself, 'is the best thing you can do for some of these guys to just unburden them and let them play as fast as possible and keep it simpler?' And the simple answer to that is: I think so. Some people will think it's a great learning opportunity to keep challenging them right now because we won't get that chance again. I get that too, but if it hurts your productivity, that's hard to do. I thought Saturday night, in the first half, that was hurting our productivity. In the second half, we made it simpler and they just kind of played.

"So what we're doing right now navigating through uncharted waters is doing the best we have with what we have. We felt like maybe we've come far enough to give them a little bit more. Then you try it and you say, 'Well, maybe not so much.' So maybe now we won't do that. But that doesn't have anything to do with taking shots. You can still take shots. It's more of the sophistication of a run-pass check. It's more of a run-check based on fronts and based on coverage. We really wanted to do some of that last week."

On seeing the positives…
"We had 303 yards of offense. We so unbelievably comfortably left 100 yards of offense on the field. That would have put us over 400 yards of offense against the number four team in the country. That extra 100 yards is the crux of our issues right now. You know where they were and you saw them. So can they do it? Yeah, you just saw it on the field.

"So that's why I have a positive side to me. It's one thing when I can't see something and I need to have blind faith. And sometimes that's the case. But it's another thing when you can see something and you just need to get it going better. That gives you quite a bit more optimism because you've proven you can do it. I've seen it. But I've also seen how wildly inconsistent it can be, which is the crux of the issue."
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Re: Syracuse Gameweek 2015

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:22 pm

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby mod6A on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:09 pm

i think we win!

:seanwilliams :bag :whiteflag

:koolaid

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Daz should just shut the fuck up about the offense. He can't even get through an interview without getting confused about who to play on offense.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:59 am

The more this guy talks, the less I think of his capability. 11 games in and we're still throwing spaghetti against the wall. I no longer believe that this guy can put this team in a position to win...There were so many comments he made that are troubling...just no indication of any coherence in how this program is being managed...ugh.....
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:13 am

We're favored.

What is encouraging is that there was no limiting Jeff Smith throwing the ball against ND.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:38 am

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:We're favored.

What is encouraging is that there was no limiting Jeff Smith throwing the ball against ND.

playing Fadule 80% of the game was a method of limiting Jeff Smith throwing the ball
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:50 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:

playing Fadule 80% of the game was a method of limiting Jeff Smith throwing the ball

this is a good comment. for the next 10 minutes you should feel proud to know that you are not one of the candidates for worst poster of the year.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:56 am

I thought this was pretty good....you have my approval for what it's worth
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:58 am

"But we were rolling in the first half and it just didn't seem right."

Wait, what the fuck?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:59 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Daz should just shut the fuck up about the offense. He can't even get through an interview without getting confused about who to play on offense.

I liked the fake punt and design of the play. Daz getting aggressive on ST has been appreciated all year. Unfortunately it's been overshadowed by a couple of idiot plays by DBs.

Playing the wrong guys on offense drives me nuts.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:01 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:"But we were rolling in the first half and it just didn't seem right."

Wait, what the fuck?

The 3 and outs were rolling...

The offense was much better in the second half with Smith and an open playbook.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:03 am

Drives in the first half:

5 plays, 15 yards - Punt.
3 plays, -2 yards - Punt.
4 plays, 8 yards - Turnover on downs
3 plays, 4 yards - Punt.
8 plays, 25 yards - Punt.
4 plays, 27 yards - Punt.
3 plays, 9 yards - Fumble.

End of half.

Averaged 12 yards a drive on 7 drives...and 4.3 plays a drive.

ROLLING LIKE THE ARLINGTON EXPRESS BABY!
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:07 am

The idea that after Saturday he's hoping that Fadule comes out of the concussion protocol cleared to play so that he can start him is perplexing to me. I hope the kid is okay too, but it should have zero impact on his choice of a starting QB.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:15 am

outlow off the depth chart, what was his injury?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:16 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16229

That game never happened therefore I have no idea who Diamond Ferri is.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:23 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:outlow off the depth chart, what was his injury?

Maybe it's the return of the Spaz Doghouse.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:24 am

This might be the best post you've ever had here.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby rktbrkr on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:41 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:The more this guy talks, the less I think of his capability. 11 games in and we're still throwing spaghetti against the wall. I no longer believe that this guy can put this team in a position to win...There were so many comments he made that are troubling...just no indication of any coherence in how this program is being managed...ugh.....

it's the same long winded bullshiit every week just cut and paste different players and team names, "young", "injuries" "improving", and another L

whats available coming off the FL roster in the way of 5th year transfers? Need OL, receivers, TEs and a mature QB. The list keeps getting longer LOL
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:48 am

what connection does he have to 5th year transfers from fla? wasn't he in philly fucking up al golden's recruits when those kids arrived on campus?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:01 pm

when did jhiggi adopt HJS' old persona?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:when did jhiggi adopt HJS' old persona?

i don't think it's an exact replica because i don't remember him saying 6 months ago that sarge needs to pull in 5th years from fla so that this team can compete.

he's got the condescension part down but not the reversal-of-opinion-presented-as-fact part
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:11 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:when did jhiggi adopt HJS' old persona?

i don't think it's an exact replica because i don't remember him saying 6 months ago that sarge needs to pull in 5th years from fla so that this team can compete.

he's got the condescension part down but not the reversal-of-opinion-presented-as-fact part

I meant the whole "sky is falling" part where he can spin pretty much everything into the death of the program and UConn surpassing BC. Always compared it to a pre-2004, pre-pink hat Red Sox fan that couldn't accept the fact that they won one, two, three World Series and still expect them to choke every time. Less focused on the "I told you so" aspect.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:27 pm

gotcha. as i am in the "based on history, this team will never succeed and at best will make it look like they are succeeding only to kick me in the balls when i get my hopes up at the end of the year" camp, i guess i don't notice this aspect of mo'j as much as his predictive proclivities.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:32 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:gotcha. as i am in the "based on history, this team will never succeed and at best will make it look like they are succeeding only to kick me in the balls when i get my hopes up at the end of the year" camp, i guess i don't notice this aspect of mo'j as much as his predictive proclivities.

You recognizing program limitations is a gulf apart from Chicken Little Syndrome.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:35 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:... gulf apart...

did tewarita introduce you to this term because of mexico being a gulf apart?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 12:44 pm

The Caribbean is on the other side of Florida, Magellan.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Shaddix thought Oklahoma was a suburb of Boston...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:56 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

there are parts of mexico (that your ladyfriend is not from) that are a gulf of mexico away from florida. i know she is not really from mexico but i have said she's from mexico to your chagrin in the past. i was going after that chagrin and not the geographical absolute from the portion of mexico that she is actually from
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:12 pm

Oh, you were making a joke. My bad.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium