Firing Fitch

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Firing Fitch

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:53 pm

We might as well get this discussion going now.

The only way I support getting rid of him is if whoever the new OC is gets full control of offensive design and play calling. As long as Daz continues to influence this, it doesn't matter who the OC is, you might as well basically hire me. I'm cheap and can sit in a booth with an index card and call plays.

I know Daz wants to run that Meyer power-run spread they ran at Florida. I actually like this system a lot, but he needs to find an OC to implement it like Day was able to last year, with pretty limited talent in spots.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Re: Firing Fitch

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:31 pm

Disagree. Day was eleventy billion times better than Fitch and had to deal with the same Daz meddling. Ideally, we get someone Daziani trusts enough to give them control. But, even if that's not possible, there are a bunch of better options probably right on the staff than Fitch. He was simply a disaster in every way. Statistically the offense in FBS. 6 games under 100 yards passing (which wouldn't be a problem if he didn't try throwing so often).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:31 pm

Day sucked too. You are nuts. He just sucked less and had a much better QB that was 23 years old
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:29 am

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:54 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Day sucked too. You are nuts. He just sucked less and had a much better QB that was 23 years old

against p5 teams

Logan
year 1: 25.2 points
year 2: 22.6

day
year 1: 24.0
year 2: 25.0

:shrug

I didn't love day either fwiw but found the numbers surprising. I guess you could argue that scoring in college is up on the whole (anecdotally it is but I don't know) but that's also countered by the styles of each's HC

btw fitch year 1: 9.0 :suicide
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:20 am

I understand youth...I understand injuries...But you've had a season's worth of games to show some development offensively.

Can anyone credibly argue that the offensive coaching this year was anything but abysmal? QB management? OL development? Receiver development? Over 11 games? Minimal at best.

Fitch is the likely target, and rightfully so. But the offensive staff as a whole did little to instill confidence. I think that even with a year's experience, there are serious concerns heading into next year.

Without the defense this year, this could very easily been a 1 or 2 win team.
Last in FBS offense! Really?!? Someone should be held accountable besides the players.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:04 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Day sucked too. You are nuts. He just sucked less and had a much better QB that was 23 years old

against p5 teams

Logan

day

I didn't love day either fwiw but found the numbers surprising. I guess you could argue that scoring in college is up on the whole (anecdotally it is but I don't know) but that's also countered by the styles of each's HC

The numbers surprise me as well. Still think a lot of it has to do with Tyler Murphy. Not sure we would be much better off right now if the QB coach of the crappy pro Eagles was still the OC of the college Eagles. But maybe.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:16 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

against p5 teams

Logan

day

Is that just FBS?
If not, what happens when you take out the 76 against Howard and whatever we put up against Maine? :facepalm
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 am

was the part where he said "against p5 teams" confusing?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:18 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:was the part where he said "against p5 teams" confusing?

give second place hansen a break. you really should just be telling him to shut up
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:20 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I know Daz wants to run that Meyer power-run spread they ran at Florida. I actually like this system a lot, but he needs to find an OC to implement it like Day was able to last year, with pretty limited talent in spots.

No, he needs a quarterback like Tebow to implement it.

Don't think one of those is playing on the dirt fields of your local MIAA school.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:31 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I know Daz wants to run that Meyer power-run spread they ran at Florida. I actually like this system a lot, but he needs to find an OC to implement it like Day was able to last year, with pretty limited talent in spots.

No, he needs a quarterback like Tebow to implement it.

Don't think one of those is playing on the dirt fields of your local MIAA school.

tebow himself probably is
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:30 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

against p5 teams

Logan

day

The numbers surprise me as well. Still think a lot of it has to do with Tyler Murphy. Not sure we would be much better off right now if the QB coach of the crappy pro Eagles was still the OC of the college Eagles. But maybe.

The complaints with Day were situational play-calling. I usually dismiss such hindsight criticism as it is lazy and no one every complains about the play calls that work (e.g. "we should've run something different than that play that didn't work"). However, I don't think anyone ever criticized the type of offenses we ran under Years 1 or 2. Hell... whether it was Day or Daz... we pretty much universally lauded the flexibility the staff showed in running drastically different systems to fit the personnel they were handed. They were also applauded for quickly understanding the talent and putting the right players on the field and grabbing 5th years to fill holes. The biggest complaints came when the O didn't score enough to carry a D struggling to adjust to Brown's new system. Conversely, Brown stubbornly stuck with a system that was ill-fitted for the personnel he had... perhaps in the hopes that the players would eventually master it in Year 3.

This year's offense, however, is the polar opposite of Years 1 and 2. Terrible system that has not changed even though the only true passer hasn't taken a snap since Game 3. This is compounded by mind-boggling personnel decisions that still plague this team. Again... while I think Dazoo is heavily involved with the O, perhaps, the drastic differences between this year and previous seasons is evidence that Fitch/Day have more influence than we give them credit. And, as a result, Fitch being a terrible OC has an outsized impact.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:40 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

against p5 teams

Logan

day

The complaints with Day were situational play-calling. I usually dismiss such hindsight criticism as it is lazy and no one every complains about the play calls that work (e.g. "we should've run something different than that play that didn't work"). However, I don't think anyone ever criticized the type of offenses we ran under Years 1 or 2. Hell... whether it was Day or Daz... we pretty much universally lauded the flexibility the staff showed in running drastically different systems to fit the personnel they were handed. They were also applauded for quickly understanding the talent and putting the right players on the field and grabbing 5th years to fill holes. The biggest complaints came when the O didn't score enough to carry a D struggling to adjust to Brown's new system. Conversely, Brown stubbornly stuck with a system that was ill-fitted for the personnel he had... perhaps in the hopes that the players would eventually master it in Year 3.

This year's offense, however, is the polar opposite of Years 1 and 2. Terrible system that has not changed even though the only true passer hasn't taken a snap since Game 3. This is compounded by mind-boggling personnel decisions that still plague this team. Again... while I think Dazoo is heavily involved with the O, perhaps, the drastic differences between this year and previous seasons is evidence that Fitch/Day have more influence than we give them credit. And, as a result, Fitch being a terrible OC has an outsized impact.

I agree with this completely, which is why I don't think it matters because the problem is that they put in a system for the guy that they thought would be the QB. Their problem this year was not the system, but the complete inability to move away from it when it became clear that the best option was QB better suited for last year's system.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}: I usually dismiss such hindsight criticism as it is lazy

HA
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:49 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

against p5 teams

Logan

day

I agree with this completely, which is why I don't think it matters because the problem is that they put in a system for the guy that they thought would be the QB. Their problem this year was not the system, but the complete inability to move away from it when it became clear that the best option was QB better suited for last year's system.

So would the same thing have happened with day here?

I tend to think no.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:10 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

against p5 teams

Logan

day

I tend to think no.

Agreed. I look at Year 1 when they seemed to be learning on the fly about exactly what they had in Andre Williams. Our O definitely evolved as that season went on. Again... is that Day? I don't know. For all I know, Daz was more heavily involved with Day and less so with Fitch? But... whatever it is, this year is different that the previous 2.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:19 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

against p5 teams

Logan

day

I tend to think no.

I doubt Day had anymore power than Fitch to fix things. If your point is that it would have been easier for Day to pull out the old playbook, or that Fitch doesn't like the old playbook, then the former is sad and the latter is sadder given the QB recruiting.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:26 pm

Chip Kelly 4:1
Bruce Pearl 10:1
Any MAC Coordinator EVEN
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

against p5 teams

Logan

day

I tend to think no.

I doubt Day had anymore power than Fitch to fix things. If your point is that it would have been easier for Day to pull out the old playbook, or that Fitch doesn't like the old playbook, then the former is sad and the latter is sadder given the QB recruiting.

My point is that maybe Day was the reason for the schemes suited to differing skillsets such as Rettig and Murphy.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:32 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

against p5 teams

Logan

day

I tend to think no.

My point is that maybe Day was the reason for the schemes suited to differing skillsets such as Rettig and Murphy.

And my point is maybe this year's scheme was suited to Wade.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:20 pm

Fitch has to go.
If he doesn't, then it's clear that 1) playing embarrassing football is now considered acceptable on the heights 2) I really am only one of about 9 people (not counting the players) that actually care about BC football.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}: Not sure we would be much better off right now if the QB coach of the crappy pro Eagles was still the OC of the college Eagles. But maybe.

Day had Bradford coached up until he got injured. Bradford is out performing Payton Manning and Andrew Luck, two of the elite QBs of the NFL.

Bradford would have taken the Eagles to the Super Bowl if he hadn't been hurt.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:19 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}: Not sure we would be much better off right now if the QB coach of the crappy pro Eagles was still the OC of the college Eagles. But maybe.

Day had Bradford coached up until he got injured. Bradford is out performing Payton Manning and Andrew Luck, two of the elite QBs of the NFL.

Bradford would have taken the Eagles to the Super Bowl if he hadn't been hurt.

If this was irony, kudos, well done.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium