Official Byeday Thread - 11/14/15

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Byeday Thread - 11/14/15

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm hardly on the "walkon was the best one bandwagon," after last game, as much as I want to root for him. The illusion of yardage with little chance to score.

He should have played Smith and not rotated. They should have run the plays they ran once Fadule got the job.

Once Smith got hurt, it didn't matter much.

god, I thought I was going to have to post "SMITH IS AWFUL" in huge pink font with the marquee feature.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:addazio getting killed on Twitter by the EDSBS guys for BC having 76 punts and only 215 passes attempted.

Nice touch on the bye week.

Against Memphis last week, USNA had 4 punts and only 5 pass attempts.

And won 45-20.

Yup. We should aspire to run navy's offense. Good call.

Yes, because Navy's offense has never carried a team to the ACC Championship Game.

Teddy - do you want to watch BC run the flex bone? Really want to? My buddies who went to GT and who have season tickets get tired of that shit.

I know you won't give a real answer so let me just type your response here: "yes, if it's in the acc championship game."
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:38 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:addazio getting killed on Twitter by the EDSBS guys for BC having 76 punts and only 215 passes attempted.

And won 45-20.

Yes, because Navy's offense has never carried a team to the ACC Championship Game.

Teddy - do you want to watch BC run the flex bone? Really want to? My buddies who went to GT and who have season tickets get tired of that shit.

I know you won't give a real answer so let me just type your response here: "yes, if it's in the acc championship game."

Boring is better than nonexistent. But no, I want to see them run the spread they ran last year.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:42 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm hardly on the "walkon was the best one bandwagon," after last game, as much as I want to root for him. The illusion of yardage with little chance to score.

He should have played Smith and not rotated. They should have run the plays they ran once Fadule got the job.

god, I thought I was going to have to post "SMITH IS AWFUL" in huge pink font with the marquee feature.

My bad, thought you were asking an agenda-free question. Fooled me.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:20 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

And won 45-20.

I don't care what offense we run if we are consistently challenging for ACC titles. Who gives a shit if it's "boring"?
Fucking millennials and their need for high scoring games to keep themselves entertained.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:23 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:i was never pro addaziani (CHECK THE LOGS)

but i became even more anti adaziani due to the qb situation.

that decision and his horrific game management is the difference between 3-7 and 5-5 right now, with the potential to get to a bowl w a cuse win

Can you be more specific as to which QB decision you blame for the difference of two wins? Do you mean: 1) playing two qbs at once (which was f'ing retarded); or 2) playing Flutie over Smith at all, which was much less so because they are both awful at this point although I can see Smith improving maybe; or 3) not figuring out the walk on was the best one, which I guess I can see also but I don't know whether it was possible to glean how bad Smith and Flutie are without seeing them in a game situation.

playing 2 qbs at once.

directly killed us in the wake game.

in game coaching was mainly to blame in the duke game in my opinion

i dont really think there is a significant discernible difference between fadule and doug. i thought running a spread style running attack with smith had the chance to be decent // better than this

i do very much believe theres a lot to be said for giving the team the opportunity to practice with one qb all week and install a gameplan that is strategic to his particular skill set.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:37 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Those are better camps than the throw it more camp.

I don't really know where the talent is that you refer to though. I don't say this snarkily. The RBs are all hurt. The Wrs can't do anything because no one can throw them the ball. I don't love seeing Dudek starting (or playing), but I have a really hard time viewing that as a difference maker because keeping Drew Barksdale and post injury Jackson off the field doesn't bother me very much. Billy Swigert's knee has been bothering him so his absence doesn't seem like a coaching issue to me. The coach's kid is bad, I don't think it's changed the record, but that seems like the wrong play to me Sweeney looks decent. I guess I also wish we'd seen more young OL almost right away, but I think playing the seniors made more sense before the Wade and Hiliman injuries.

I guess he also could have sacrificed Jeff Smith to the read option while Jim Cashman and Dave Bowen who never seemed to quite grasp power blocking try to learn a new scheme and run into one another, but I think that's more alternative reality of the fanbase.

The backup qb thing has been giant douche/turd sandwich all along IMO and I don't see the Flutie snaps as discernibly different from the Smith snaps. Fadule is slightly less turd-doucheian.

I have no idea why anyone ever listens to coach press conferences and even less so during a losing season. Is there anything good to say? Is there any coach who does it well? Everyone loved Jagz's pressers, but that's cause he was an arrogant dickhead while we were winning, which was fun. I guess I also have always thought of Addazio as coming across as kind of a retarded person, but one who resonated well with high school age recruits. I thought this in the first two seasons as well and therefore take most of what he says in that context. As an example "be a dude" does not resonate very well with me, but I can see it being more effective for the target audience.

All fair (assuming you're not snarking me), if so oh well.

My main focus is pre Clemson ish because Clemson and beyond who really gives a fuck? If they weren't scoring Duke & Wake they probably weren't going to do much beyond that. Also this is with all the caveat that I don't know on injuries.

Talent:
I think the talent exceeds 8 points per game versus NIU, Duke & Wake

Coaching:
Wake:
There was absolutely no rhyme or reason for the QB rotation within game. Sub Flutie in mid drive, he spends 30 seconds coordinating with his OL unaware that there's actually a playclock. TO burned. Probably would've been important towards the end of the game.
3rd & 1 bring Flutie in after Smith drives them down the field for a QB sneak.
Play calling is the easy :thehjs BUT
You clearly have a QB with limited (developing?) skill set. Why are you throwing 9 million formations at them? Jeff Smith under center, in the pistol, in the shotgun. He play HS exclusively in gun.
3rd & 4th down on last drive of Duke game. Need what 4 yards? Jeff has been running at 5 YPC. 3rd down quick out to Dudeck (?) incomplete. 4th down under center roll to Smith's left. It was as if Fitch didn't realize Flutie was knocked out.

I guess it goes back to an OL being good as coaching vs talent. SR-SR-SO-FR-JR isn't an incredibly young line (vs. wake depth chart).

Edit: re the pressers. I guess it's just one of my things. Shit i even listened to jimmy mac after saturday.
Last edited by claver2010 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

My bad, thought you were asking an agenda-free question. Fooled me.

I don't even know anymore, the lines are blurred.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:00 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:i was never pro addaziani (CHECK THE LOGS)

but i became even more anti adaziani due to the qb situation.

that decision and his horrific game management is the difference between 3-7 and 5-5 right now, with the potential to get to a bowl w a cuse win

Can you be more specific as to which QB decision you blame for the difference of two wins? Do you mean: 1) playing two qbs at once (which was f'ing retarded); or 2) playing Flutie over Smith at all, which was much less so because they are both awful at this point although I can see Smith improving maybe; or 3) not figuring out the walk on was the best one, which I guess I can see also but I don't know whether it was possible to glean how bad Smith and Flutie are without seeing them in a game situation.

playing 2 qbs at once.

directly killed us in the wake game.

in game coaching was mainly to blame in the duke game in my opinion

i dont really think there is a significant discernible difference between fadule and doug. i thought running a spread style running attack with smith had the chance to be decent // better than this

i do very much believe theres a lot to be said for giving the team the opportunity to practice with one qb all week and install a gameplan that is strategic to his particular skill set.

All of that may be true. Except that while the lines of snark and not snark have become blurred, I do actually think that Smith is Dom Davis prior to November 8, 2008. Unfortunately, Flutie isn't Chris Crane.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:54 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:All fair (assuming you're not snarking me), if so oh well.

My main focus is pre Clemson ish because Clemson and beyond who really gives a fuck? If they weren't scoring Duke & Wake they probably weren't going to do much beyond that. Also this is with all the caveat that I don't know on injuries.

Talent:
I think the talent exceeds 8 points per game versus NIU, Duke & Wake

Coaching:
Wake:
There was absolutely no rhyme or reason for the QB rotation within game. Sub Flutie in mid drive, he spends 30 seconds coordinating with his OL unaware that there's actually a playclock. TO burned. Probably would've been important towards the end of the game.
3rd & 1 bring Flutie in after Smith drives them down the field for a QB sneak.
Play calling is the easy :thehjs BUT
You clearly have a QB with limited (developing?) skill set. Why are you throwing 9 million formations at them? Jeff Smith under center, in the pistol, in the shotgun. He play HS exclusively in gun.
3rd & 4th down on last drive of Duke game. Need what 4 yards? Jeff has been running at 5 YPC. 3rd down quick out to Dudeck (?) incomplete. 4th down under center roll to Smith's left. It was as if Fitch didn't realize Flutie was knocked out.

I guess it goes back to an OL being good as coaching vs talent. SR-SR-SO-FR-JR isn't an incredibly young line (vs. wake depth chart).

Edit: re the pressers. I guess it's just one of my things. Shit i even listened to jimmy mac after saturday.

Addazio is in my opinion a system coach, much like Paul Johnson except he's not innovative.

He is a good OL coach (historically) who has some other plus skills that translate OK into being a HC. He is a good recruiter, he seems to for the most part do a pretty good job of managing personalities which is surprising because of his outward demeanor (examples are very few decommits and transfers thus far, no abnormal coaches bailingn and I think he is generally popular with his former players). He has made a couple of very good assistant hires and has made the classic internal promotion error, which he may or may not rectify.

Obviously, this is not exactly high praise. However, I continue to think (unless next year is like this year) that he can provide a level of stability and that he should consistently improve the talent level and in some cases improve areas (DB and WR) beyond what I've ever seen at BC (probably at the expense of others like QB). I've come to the point where I think we need to get to TOB before we get a Jagzzz. That doesn't mean I'm happy with 7 win seasons, but that I don't see the jump from years like this or Spaz years to 9 or 10 wins or more with nothing in between.

The OL certainly turned out to be a talent problem, not an experience problem and yes the beginning of the year starters weren't young, just bad. I continue to think the young OL look much better than the players they are replacing even though they are inconsistent and Lindstrom is too small still.

The aforesaid system of which Addazio is a system coach is of course to impose a run game that consistently ensures third and short with enough lip service to either a pro style passing game or read option that 9 in the box are avoided on said third and short. It doesn't work without an OL. I think its unreasonable to expect this guy to innovate too much. Day might have been able to do something, Fitch has nothing.

I like the basketball team and look forward to future fighting with Teddy and micro.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I think its unreasonable to expect this guy to innovate too much.

so you are saying that the students will not likely find a situation to wear lab coats in honor of the mad scientist schemes slaughter's drawing up in his wrestling gym

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:... micro.

you mean dr. hep-stein microdick?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:48 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

And won 45-20.

I don't care what offense we run if we are consistently challenging for ACC titles. Who gives a shit if it's "boring"?
Fucking millennials and their need for high scoring games to keep themselves entertained.

Not a millennial.

Go suck your mother's cock.*

*is this a thing now? If not, then go fuck yourself.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:38 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

And won 45-20.

Not a millennial.

Go suck your mother's cock.*

*is this a thing now? If not, then go fuck yourself.

True*, but it is a millennial attitude.

* assuming 2001 was you grad year then like me you just missed the cutoff by a couple years.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:42 am

hansen you are mixing millennials with nerdification. They are not synonymous
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:hansen you are mixing millennials with nerdification. They are not synonymous

Eerily, they are not far apart.
If he graduated in 2001, then he was probably born in 1979 and millennials start at 1980-1982.
So nerdification was construction of the mod fence which was around 2001 or so as well.

We've been thinking BC constructed the mod fence to keep people from having fun. Maybe they just wanted to keep the nerds out as they knew the millenial generation was coming.

PROTECT THIS HOUSE THESE MODS

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:23 pm

millennialism is not always dictated specifically by the date on a calendar. these traits can still dwell with people born in the 70s, although they are typically less dedicated to the cause than their compatriots of the 80s and 90s.

therefore, regardless of their birthyear, millennials should go suck their respective mother's cock
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:11 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:hansen you are mixing millennials with nerdification. They are not synonymous

Eerily, they are not far apart.
If he graduated in 2001, then he was probably born in 1979 and millennials start at 1980-1982.
So nerdification was construction of the mod fence which was around 2001 or so as well.

We've been thinking BC constructed the mod fence to keep people from having fun. Maybe they just wanted to keep the nerds out as they knew the millenial generation was coming.

PROTECT THIS HOUSE THESE MODS

01 grad. born in the 70's.

we only got a trophy for winning when I was a kid.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:31 pm

We ought to play Fadule and Smith at the same time on Saturday. WTF not? We are going get rocket shipped anyway and Notre Dame has repeatedly fallen for flea flicker/double pass plays. Just run it fifty or sixty times. Worst case scenario is that Fadule and Smith are horribly injured, but that may happen anyway and as I said, we are almost certainly going to get rocket shipped--particularly since ND decided to sleep through Senior Day and Stanford crapped the bed making a blow out an imperative. At least it would be amusing to fling it repeatedly up for grabs to receivers who can't get open. At a certain point the law of averages says one turns into a circus/highlite reel-type play. The ACC refs may also get confused and start allowing us to disregard rules like clipping, laterals, etc.--like what happened when Miami flung the ball all over the place at the end of the Duke game.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:47 pm

Daz needs to dig deep into his trickeration playbook. Let it loose with the fumblerooksi, statue of liberty, double reverse flea flickers, fake punts, fake field goals, onside kicks etc...you name it, why not?

If it is 4th down on the ND 35 yd line and he does not think our field goal kickers are up to the task, doesn't it make more sense to go for the fake rather than the punt? A punt gets you what, 20 yards maybe?
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:50 pm

Prediction:

6 punts
<300 total yards
3 turnovers
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:50 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Daz needs to dig deep into his trickeration playbook. Let it loose with the fumblerooksi, statue of liberty, double reverse flea flickers, fake punts, fake field goals, onside kicks etc...you name it, why not?

If it is 4th down on the ND 35 yd line and he does not think our field goal kickers are up to the task, doesn't it make more sense to go for the fake rather than the punt? A punt gets you what, 20 yards maybe?

you're right regarding going for it (not necessarily a fake) but....

7-0 game

4th and 5 at FSU 39

(4:47 - 1st) Alex Howell punt for 39 yds for a touchback

http://espn.go.com/college-football/pla ... =400756920

BC never got closer
Last edited by claver2010 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:57 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Daz needs to dig deep into his trickeration playbook. Let it loose with the fumblerooksi, statue of liberty, double reverse flea flickers, fake punts, fake field goals, onside kicks etc...you name it, why not?

Yes. I fully expect Addazio to pull out all the stops for this one. Or not. The guy has given me no reason to believe that he has any ability to change. Plus, he has worse clock management skills than Macgruber.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:00 pm

He's not pulling out stops. If anything, he'll be more conservative in his efforts to lose close in the fourth.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:16 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Prediction:

6 punts
<300 total yards
3 turnovers

But how many passes? Asking for a friend.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:33 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:Prediction:

6 punts
<300 total yards
3 turnovers

But how many passes? Asking for a friend.

Fadule has thrown 20 and 37 times.

If he doesn't get killed, as Angry Dick is getting hard over, BC will be throwing from behind, and I predict he has 30 attempts. If he gets murderated because the OL shits themselves and we have a Jeff Smith sighting, then all bets are off.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:46 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He's not pulling out stops. If anything, he'll be more conservative in his efforts to lose close in the fourth.

agreed
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:He's not pulling out stops. If anything, he'll be more conservative in his efforts to lose close in the fourth.

this. i could even see him punting on 3rd down under the right circumstances.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:16 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

this. i could even see him punting on 3rd down under the right circumstances.

I'm switching fan bases if I ever see a BC team punt on 3rd down....
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:34 pm

flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:03 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

agreed

To be fair, his stated goal is to be close in the fourth. Anything beyond that is gravy.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium