Mizzou

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Mizzou

Postby angrychicken on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:22 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:changing the culture of a university/town/state is not something any 1 person can do.

:whalepants

Wanna bet?

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:34 pm

Surprise surprise, it looks like the poopstica was a hoax. It turns out that there is no photographic evidence nor is there anybody that actually saw it. The RA that publicized it never actually saw it but found out about it by a flyer that was posted in the dorm. http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/10/was ... iant-hoax/

It turns out that there have been many poop swastika incidents in school bathrooms on the internet.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:40 pm

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't know much about Mizzou's culture and remember when some racial things went on at BC in the '90s. If there was social media then, it probably would have become a bigger deal. That said, the odds that this University President was some sort of racist or that he had real power to change the culture is ridiculous. The only demand he could have met was the 10% African American faculty quota.

Why are we having quotas by race?

Is this more Chad and less Thadd?

blog boy is saying that all their other demands for unicorns and rainbows were things that the university president couldn't have changed even if he wanted to. the only thing he had control over was the 10% faculty quota. the rest of the demands were ows type bullshit

If I go on a hunger strike can we stop playing Dudeck and Callahan? Maybe I'll aim high and we can settle on that.

I don't care enough about this team to skip a meal.

The "racial things" in the 90's that ATL refers to could not have been more contrived with an electrified contriving machine. It was some of the worst protesting I've seen. It was completely incoherent with scattershot demands and poorly-defined goals. People didn't know whether to support the protestors or heckle them because nobody knew what the hell they wanted. It fizzled out in 1996 due to boredom and indifference.

It has been 20 years. Others can fill in their respective memories. This is what I remember...

When I was a freshman ('94-'95) one of the UGBC campaigns used a slogan: "Bringing UGBC back to you!" At the time UGBC had a African American president. People found this offensive and I think it sparked a big UGBC presidential turnout where five people voted instead of the usual four.

There was also a African American student protest group that called themselves the Fist or Da Fist. I cannot recall what sparked their formation. There was some sort of racial graffiti on one of the girl floors on Newton. I don't remember what it was or if it was offensive. But I know that the someone called a meeting in the lounge and some of these freshman girls naively showed and got yelled at by Fist members trying to find out who did it. I don't remember if anything ever came of it.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:44 pm

i figured it was something to do with the vicious rumors about setti warren and his inabilities to dance. that created such an uproar the guy went on the the ugbc presidency and even a newton mayorship

the graffiti was likely nothing more than a tribute to keyes dorm dweller, issues
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:57 pm

[Doubled posted. Sorry]
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:12 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
mod6A {l Wrote}:changing the culture of a university/town/state is not something any 1 person can do.

Wanna bet?

Did you forget:

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:20 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
angrychicken {l Wrote}:

Wanna bet?

Did you forget:

Pfft. He died. It was tails.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:22 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:It has been 20 years. Others can fill in their respective memories. This is what I remember...

When I was a freshman ('94-'95) one of the UGBC campaigns used a slogan: "Bringing UGBC back to you!" At the time UGBC had a African American president. People found this offensive and I think it sparked a big UGBC presidential turnout where five people voted instead of the usual four.

There was also a African American student protest group that called themselves the Fist or Da Fist. I cannot recall what sparked their formation. There was some sort of racial graffiti on one of the girl floors on Newton. I don't remember what it was or if it was offensive. But I know that the someone called a meeting in the lounge and some of these freshman girls naively showed and got yelled at by Fist members trying to find out who did it. I don't remember if anything ever came of it.

Do you remember in '96-'97 when The Observer ran a pro-life political cartoon of a klansman next to a Planned Parenthood clinic with the caption "Which of these kills more blacks?" People burned stacks of The Observer in the law school parking lot and everyone (at least all the freshmen) living on campus had to have a floor meeting to give people an opportunity to talk how the cartoon made them feel.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:39 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:It has been 20 years. Others can fill in their respective memories. This is what I remember...

Do you remember in '96-'97 when The Observer ran a pro-life political cartoon of a klansman next to a Planned Parenthood clinic with the caption "Which of these kills more blacks?" People burned stacks of The Observer in the law school parking lot and everyone (at least all the freshmen) living on campus had to have a floor meeting to give people an opportunity to talk how the cartoon made them feel.

trigger warning. the date of nerdification has been moved back to the class of 97. congratulations, fucking nerds

the good news for me is, this adds another brother-that-hates-me to the list of nerdified students/alumni
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:58 pm

trigger warning. the date of nerdification has been moved back to the class of 97. congratulations, fucking nerds

the good news for me is, this adds another brother-that-hates-me to the list of nerdified students/alumni

I forgot the best/worst part. The floor meeting followed a mandatory viewing of the Michael Rapaport vehicle Higher Learning.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:03 pm

I forgot the best/worst part. The floor meeting followed a mandatory viewing of the Michael Rapaport vehicle Higher Learning.

This must have been a per floor decision as my stoner RA did not have us do this. He was prob too busy banging fat chicks in my mothers fleabag to give a fuck.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:15 pm

is that the one that he pretended to jump off a bridge because he killed someone while drunk driving?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:37 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:Surprise surprise, it looks like the poopstica was a hoax. It turns out that there is no photographic evidence nor is there anybody that actually saw it. The RA that publicized it never actually saw it but found out about it by a flyer that was posted in the dorm. http://thefederalist.com/2015/11/10/was ... iant-hoax/

It turns out that there have been many poop swastika incidents in school bathrooms on the internet.

Did anything happen to the drunk student that allegedly yelled racist stuff at the black student organization? Was it ever corroborated?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:09 pm

is that the one that he pretended to jump off a bridge because he killed someone while drunk driving?

I think it has ice cube in it and Omar epps' gf gets shot by a nazi or something.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:17 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't know much about Mizzou's culture and remember when some racial things went on at BC in the '90s. If there was social media then, it probably would have become a bigger deal. That said, the odds that this University President was some sort of racist or that he had real power to change the culture is ridiculous. The only demand he could have met was the 10% African American faculty quota.

blog boy is saying that all their other demands for unicorns and rainbows were things that the university president couldn't have changed even if he wanted to. the only thing he had control over was the 10% faculty quota. the rest of the demands were ows type bullshit

If I go on a hunger strike can we stop playing Dudeck and Callahan? Maybe I'll aim high and we can settle on that.

The "racial things" in the 90's that ATL refers to could not have been more contrived with an electrified contriving machine. It was some of the worst protesting I've seen. It was completely incoherent with scattershot demands and poorly-defined goals. People didn't know whether to support the protestors or heckle them because nobody knew what the hell they wanted. It fizzled out in 1996 due to boredom and indifference.

It has been 20 years. Others can fill in their respective memories. This is what I remember...

Here's all the riduculousness chronicled in The Heights (I forgot how to properly link): http://newspapers.bc.edu/cgi-bin/bostonsh?a=q&hs=1&r=1&results=1&txq=fist&txf=txIN&ssnip=txt&o=20&dafdq=&dafmq=&dafyq=1994&datdq=&datmq=&datyq=1996&puq=&e=-------en-20--1--txt-txIN-fist------
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:32 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think it has ice cube in it and Omar epps' gf gets shot by a nazi or something.

but doesn't the girlfriend's father end up liking omar epps in the end because he carried his test with a good grade on it in his helmet during the big game? so, in the end, it all works out for everyone
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:03 pm

the " bringing UGBC back to you" was somehow related to the type of bands being booked for some events, right? someone booking bell biv devoe and/or bill bellamy instead of the samples?

we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:47 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:the " bringing UGBC back to you" was somehow related to the type of bands being booked for some events, right? someone booking bell biv devoe and/or bill bellamy instead of the samples?

I dont know if this is the true story or not but I hope it is because that would be a very BC thing.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:52 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:the " bringing UGBC back to you" was somehow related to the type of bands being booked for some events, right? someone booking bell biv devoe and/or bill bellamy instead of the samples?

I dont know if this is the true story or not but I hope it is because that would be a very BC thing.

UGBC concerts in the late 90s were a complete clusterfuck. It would always be the worst combination of acts at a single show. something along the lines of Public enemy and rusted root at the same show. I imagine the unlike acts were done in order to appease various groups but it was lame nonetheless.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:18 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

but doesn't the girlfriend's father end up liking omar epps in the end because he carried his test with a good grade on it in his helmet during the big game? so, in the end, it all works out for everyone

Yes. Except for the chick who gets shot and the nazi.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:51 pm

Interesting take on the Mizzou situation from Jason Whitlock http://media.weei.com/a/110877495/jason ... -10-15.htm

Cliff Notes of Whitlock's points:

- Wolfe unpopular with faculty due to a business not academic orientation
- Many students from Ferguson and St Louis general areas with grievances that they want to air
- Millennials raised differently from prior generations & need/want/demand more
- Students of that age & with Ferguson fresh in mind primed to try and get their points attention at Mizzou
- Opportunistic faculty co opt and encourage students anger and predisposition to protest & pour fuel on the fire to further their own desire to get rid of Wolfe

(Had this on in the background while on a call - so I think those were his points - but not 100)
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby Talon's Logo on Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:19 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Will Dorcena was UGBC president in 94-95. He is not African-American.
Talon's Logo
n00b

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:04 am

Talon's Logo {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Will Dorcena was UGBC president in 94-95. He is not African-American.

My mistake on his ethnicity. But I am positive of the slogan "bringing UGBC back to you" causing controversy.

Does BC still use the term AHANA in official literature and stats? While well intentioned back in the day, I think grouping all minorities together would offend these days.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:47 am

ahana still exists and they all live in the black dorm - the gate

never went in there once during my time at bc
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:51 am

In the 94-95 year, BC gov booked a rap/hip-hop type artist that 99% of the student body did not care for. Nobody really cared until it was discovered that they spent the entire budget on said artist and that they could have gotten many bands that the student body did like for much less. Oh, and there was violence at the concert involving non BC students.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Chicken Patties on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:00 am

If I go on a hunger strike can we stop playing Dudeck and Callahan? Maybe I'll aim high and we can settle on that.[/quote]

The "racial things" in the 90's that ATL refers to could not have been more contrived with an electrified contriving machine. It was some of the worst protesting I've seen. It was completely incoherent with scattershot demands and poorly-defined goals. People didn't know whether to support the protestors or heckle them because nobody knew what the hell they wanted. It fizzled out in 1996 due to boredom and indifference.[/quote]

There was also a African American student protest group that called themselves the Fist or Da Fist. I cannot recall what sparked their formation. There was some sort of racial graffiti on one of the girl floors on Newton. I don't remember what it was or if it was offensive. But I know that the someone called a meeting in the lounge and some of these freshman girls naively showed and got yelled at by Fist members trying to find out who did it. I don't remember if anything ever came of it.[/quote]
Will Dorcena was UGBC president in 94-95. He is not African-American.[/quote]

Someone should tell his sister Linda that.
Chicken Patties
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:11 am

hansen {l Wrote}:

UGBC concerts in the late 90s were a complete clusterfuck. It would always be the worst combination of acts at a single show. something along the lines of Public enemy and rusted root at the same show. I imagine the unlike acts were done in order to appease various groups but it was lame nonetheless.

I'd attend Public Enemy and Rusted Root, even though Rusted Root only has like one song.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:51 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:Interesting take on the Mizzou situation from Jason Whitlock http://media.weei.com/a/110877495/jason ... -10-15.htm

Cliff Notes of Whitlock's points:

- Wolfe unpopular with faculty due to a business not academic orientation
- Many students from Ferguson and St Louis general areas with grievances that they want to air
- Millennials raised differently from prior generations & need/want/demand more
- Students of that age & with Ferguson fresh in mind primed to try and get their points attention at Mizzou
- Opportunistic faculty co opt and encourage students anger and predisposition to protest & pour fuel on the fire to further their own desire to get rid of Wolfe

(Had this on in the background while on a call - so I think those were his points - but not 100)

Notorious race baiter Jason Whitlock? Yea no thanks
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:03 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:ahana still exists and they all live in the black dorm - the gate

Is that dorm officially designated as some kind of special interest housing or is it more of an unwritten rule?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:21 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:ahana still exists and they all live in the black dorm - the gate

Is that dorm officially designated as some kind of special interest housing or is it more of an unwritten rule?

unwritten rule, not sure when / why it happened to be honest.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext