Mizzou

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Mizzou

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:06 am

1) what a terrible team, they almost lost to uconn
b) what a terrible program, recently produced some excellent members of society

that being said, they cancelled practice yesterday. anyone think they'll actually go through with not playing on saturday?

btw excellent timing by mizzou

https://www.themizzoustore.com/p-195747 ... shirt.aspx

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Mizzou

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:39 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:1) what a terrible team, they almost lost to uconn
b) what a terrible program, recently produced some excellent members of society

that being said, they cancelled practice yesterday. anyone think they'll actually go through with not playing on saturday?

btw excellent timing by mizzou

https://www.themizzoustore.com/p-195747 ... shirt.aspx

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

I've read like 6 or 7 articles on the protest and I can't figure out what exactly they're protesting about.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:40 am

Serious question - What has this UM System President done (or failed to do) that warrants termination? I've spent maybe ten minutes reading articles about this story and I can't find the smoking gun.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:43 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Serious question - What has this UM System President done (or failed to do) that warrants termination? I've spent maybe ten minutes reading articles about this story and I can't find the smoking gun.

Needs immediate coddling training.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:46 am

If BC made up a fake protest to not play the rest of this season I would be in 100% support.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:52 am

It's because of apparent racism. A few people yelled the N word at black students and someone made a "poop swastica" on a building. These idiots think it's the presidents job to eliminate all racism on the campus because a few individuals said/did something. I think some other kid is on a hunger strike until the president resigns because of the racism issues.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:52 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If BC made up a fake protest to not play the rest of this season I would be in 100% support.

Where is Condoleeza Rice when we need her?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:52 am

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:53 am

They do not know who made the swastika on the building. The vast majority of these incidents are hoaxes of some kind. My gut feeling is that whoever did this is not the stereotypical racist who sports a confederate flag on his pickup truck. Shouldn't Jews be the most offended?

BTW, if a scholarship athlete refuses to participate in the chosen sport, can their scholarship be revoked? If a coach refuses to coach I have to assume that he can be fired.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:18 am

He resigned
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:28 am

Mob justice wins again.

I have no idea if this guy is a KKK member or not. But, I despise the intolerance and group-think that inhabits our institutes of supposed higher learning. There is a whole debate going on in Yale on this topic that is flat-out comical. Essentially, college campuses should be a bastion of free speech and exchange of ideas unless someone else doesn't like it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:50 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:http://www.kmbc.com/blob/view/-/36332870/data/1/-/202nsaz/-/-PDF-Concerned-Student-1950-list-of-demands.pdf

At first glance I thought the closing of their letter read "The Fight Goes Continues."
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:47 pm

This is a really big deal. The players organized collectively, in this case to fight a perceived racist culture at the University of Missouri. They held together in the face of their own fears that they'd be ineffectual and would suffer retribution (which may still come). They wound up seeing essentially their line supervisors (the coaches) bet on them rather than the administration.

All that put the the University into position of facing breach of a contract exceeding $1 million (the BYU game), over an employee who makes <$500k per annum. Mizzou's version of a Board of Directors was to meet just hours after the resignation came in. Obviously the President was told to go away so that this whole embarrassment would go away.

If I'm the NCAA, ESPN/CBS/Fox, Saban/Calipari/Coach K, etc., I'd be really concerned right now. What lessons will athletes elsewhere take from this? There's been a dispute in legal terms about whether the athletes are employees. But can athletes organize and stay united so that they have an economic impact?

That depends on timing. If they play "by the rules" and fight in court, they'll lose because the NCAA (and their sponsors) will wait out the players and find a friendlier venue.

But Tom Heinsohn and the NBA all-stars didn't play by the rules.

NBA All-Star ultimatum paid off for players

Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and other NBA big names threatened not to play in the 1964 game, and it led to a pension and recognition of the union.

February 16, 2011|By Mike Bresnahan

Tom Heinsohn was President of the unrecognized NBA Players' Association:

The NBA was about to go live on television in 1964 for one of the first times, a major opportunity for a struggling league, when the game's top talent threatened to back out of the All-Star game a few hours before tip-off.
The players wanted a pension. They wanted athletic trainers on every team. They wanted improved playing conditions — no more Sunday afternoon games after a Saturday night game.

The players had tried to tell Commissioner Walter Kennedy that they were serious at a meeting several months earlier.

"We brought in our reps," said former Boston Celtics All-Star Tom Heinsohn, "and they kept us in the lobby and never brought us upstairs."

The owners were definitely listening now.

The owners threatened retribution far harsher than what has been discussed in the wake of the Missouri situation:

Lakers star Jerry West, then 25 and in his fourth season, stood his ground with Baylor.

"I was young and just trying to feel my way along and build a career for myself," West said. "[Short] said to us very threateningly, 'If you don't play in this game, you're probably never going to play again.' I then said, 'I'm never going to play a game.' I am pretty defiant."

Finally, the game went on:

The minutes moved rapidly inside the locker room. Tipoff time was approaching. A chance at major TV exposure was evaporating quickly.

Finally, Kennedy made a decision. The commissioner met the demands of the players, who were overjoyed.

"He formally recognized the players' association and agreed to the pension plan and all the other things," Heinsohn said.

Who's to say this doesn't happen again? Before the College Football playoff final? Before the NCAA Final Four? How does the NCAA explain dead air time during what is supposed to be a hugely profitable night?

The athletes at Missouri hung in, and they won. If they could stand united on a more amorphous goal like fighting racism, how about when they stand to gain a piece of the pie they baked?
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:16 pm

OCs_Inner_Eagle {l Wrote}:This is a really big deal. The players organized collectively, in this case to fight a perceived racist culture at the University of Missouri. They held together in the face of their own fears that they'd be ineffectual and would suffer retribution (which may still come). They wound up seeing essentially their line supervisors (the coaches) bet on them rather than the administration.

All that put the the University into position of facing breach of a contract exceeding $1 million (the BYU game), over an employee who makes <$500k per annum. Mizzou's version of a Board of Directors was to meet just hours after the resignation came in. Obviously the President was told to go away so that this whole embarrassment would go away.

If I'm the NCAA, ESPN/CBS/Fox, Saban/Calipari/Coach K, etc., I'd be really concerned right now. What lessons will athletes elsewhere take from this? There's been a dispute in legal terms about whether the athletes are employees. But can athletes organize and stay united so that they have an economic impact?

That depends on timing. If they play "by the rules" and fight in court, they'll lose because the NCAA (and their sponsors) will wait out the players and find a friendlier venue.

But Tom Heinsohn and the NBA all-stars didn't play by the rules.

NBA All-Star ultimatum paid off for players

Jerry West, Elgin Baylor and other NBA big names threatened not to play in the 1964 game, and it led to a pension and recognition of the union.

February 16, 2011|By Mike Bresnahan

Tom Heinsohn was President of the unrecognized NBA Players' Association:

The NBA was about to go live on television in 1964 for one of the first times, a major opportunity for a struggling league, when the game's top talent threatened to back out of the All-Star game a few hours before tip-off.
The players wanted a pension. They wanted athletic trainers on every team. They wanted improved playing conditions — no more Sunday afternoon games after a Saturday night game.

The players had tried to tell Commissioner Walter Kennedy that they were serious at a meeting several months earlier.

"We brought in our reps," said former Boston Celtics All-Star Tom Heinsohn, "and they kept us in the lobby and never brought us upstairs."

The owners were definitely listening now.

The owners threatened retribution far harsher than what has been discussed in the wake of the Missouri situation:

Lakers star Jerry West, then 25 and in his fourth season, stood his ground with Baylor.

"I was young and just trying to feel my way along and build a career for myself," West said. "[Short] said to us very threateningly, 'If you don't play in this game, you're probably never going to play again.' I then said, 'I'm never going to play a game.' I am pretty defiant."

Finally, the game went on:

The minutes moved rapidly inside the locker room. Tipoff time was approaching. A chance at major TV exposure was evaporating quickly.

Finally, Kennedy made a decision. The commissioner met the demands of the players, who were overjoyed.

"He formally recognized the players' association and agreed to the pension plan and all the other things," Heinsohn said.

Who's to say this doesn't happen again? Before the College Football playoff final? Before the NCAA Final Four? How does the NCAA explain dead air time during what is supposed to be a hugely profitable night?

The athletes at Missouri hung in, and they won. If they could stand united on a more amorphous goal like fighting racism, how about when they stand to gain a piece of the pie they baked?

I'm confused by the comparison, although the Heinson story was interesting. I understand the significance of the Missouri football team joining the protest in terms of publicity and in terms of the effect of missing the BYU game and how much extra pressure that put on the Missouri administration and appreciate the significance of college football players using the appeal of the sport to make a change, but I feel like it was only so effective in light of the current untouchability of this kind of cause.

If college football players did this for paychecks as athletes, I feel like the following things would be different: 1) they would actually have vocal opponents outside of sports message boards; and 2) the opposing team likely would have foregone its payday in light of the larger overarching issue.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:34 pm

There is something delightful in watching an effete liberal--which the pathetic Mizzoo President undoubtedly is--get devoured by the irrational, stupid, BLM/SJW set. They are going to kill off Hillary before they are done.

In this instance the following cannot be disputed. The "hunger striker" is a professional grievance monger whose underlying motivation was that he lost his cheap graduate housing. The Student Body President--who is black which sort of casts some doubt on the notion that there is an institutional problem at Mizzou--is an oily, lying sleazebag whose story cannot be corroborated by anyone. Gary Pinkell is an abortion of a coach and sleazy piece of shit. Missouri is really bad at football--not as bad as us, perhaps, but really fucking terrible--and its players are criminals, illiterates and sexual degenerates.

In a just world, all 30 of the strikers would lose their scholarships and be returned to whatever hell hole they crawled out of where, statistically speaking, they would soon kill each other off.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:06 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:There is something delightful in watching an effete liberal--which the pathetic Mizzoo President undoubtedly is--get devoured by the irrational, stupid, BLM/SJW set. They are going to kill off Hillary before they are done.

In this instance the following cannot be disputed. The "hunger striker" is a professional grievance monger whose underlying motivation was that he lost his cheap graduate housing. The Student Body President--who is black which sort of casts some doubt on the notion that there is an institutional problem at Mizzou--is an oily, lying sleazebag whose story cannot be corroborated by anyone. Gary Pinkell is an abortion of a coach and sleazy piece of shit. Missouri is really bad at football--not as bad as us, perhaps, but really fucking terrible--and its players are criminals, illiterates and sexual degenerates.

In a just world, all 30 of the strikers would lose their scholarships and be returned to whatever hell hole they crawled out of where, statistically speaking, they would soon kill each other off.

Is there a company that sells diversity training that I can buy stock in? This is the world's greatest racket since Tetzel started charging for indulgences.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:35 pm

I don't know much about Mizzou's culture and remember when some racial things went on at BC in the '90s. If there was social media then, it probably would have become a bigger deal. That said, the odds that this University President was some sort of racist or that he had real power to change the culture is ridiculous. The only demand he could have met was the 10% African American faculty quota.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:22 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't know much about Mizzou's culture and remember when some racial things went on at BC in the '90s. If there was social media then, it probably would have become a bigger deal. That said, the odds that this University President was some sort of racist or that he had real power to change the culture is ridiculous. The only demand he could have met was the 10% African American faculty quota.

Why are we having quotas by race?

Is this more Chad and less Thadd?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I don't know much about Mizzou's culture and remember when some racial things went on at BC in the '90s. If there was social media then, it probably would have become a bigger deal. That said, the odds that this University President was some sort of racist or that he had real power to change the culture is ridiculous. The only demand he could have met was the 10% African American faculty quota.

blog boy is saying that all their other demands for unicorns and rainbows were things that the university president couldn't have changed even if he wanted to. the only thing he had control over was the 10% faculty quota. the rest of the demands were ows type bullshit
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby OCs_Inner_Eagle on Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:32 pm

Wolfe has a business-oriented background:

Background

Mr. Timothy M. Wolfe serves as the President of University of Missouri System. Mr. Wolfe has 27 years of IT and software sales experience. Mr. Wolfe served as the President for Novell Americas of Novell Inc. He served as an Executive Vice President of CSC Covansys Corporation. He served as General Manager for Americas at Novell, Inc. He joined Novell in 2003 as Vice President and General Manager of the Southeast region, moving to oversee the East region in 2006. Prior to joining Novell, he served as an Executive Vice President of Covansys Corp. Mr. Wolfe served as Vice President of Sales of Jostens Inc., since October 2003. He held a variety of sales executive and management roles during his 20-year tenure at IBM. Mr. Wolfe earned a Bachelor's degree from the University of Missouri Business School and graduated from Harvard's Advanced Management Program and International Senior Management Program 148.

The #BLM movement conflates things here, as there's quite a backlash toward the movement. I'm not sure the public would disrespect college students seeking a piece of the pie rather than a Rick Pitino or a Chris Berman.

With a wildcat action like this one, where you're breaking the established rules, framing becomes critically important. I'm thinking here that there was enough lurking in the UM system that they needed to push Wolfe overboard to release pressure.
OCs_Inner_Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:41 pm

University administrations are filled with weak willed morons, look at the President of Yale. It pays well and relatively easy to get if you're willing to spend your entire day dealing with utter lunacy. If you give in to threats, you'll just give into the next one. Just start vacating the scholarships and play with walkons so you don't incur the penalties.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:46 pm

What's funny to me is that the protesters, hunger striker, etc. think they won a real victory today. Look what the power of unity is able to do! We locked arms, refused to play, refused to eat, sat in and forced the University President to resign!

What they don't understand is that this was most assuredly a discussion with a few wealthy boosters, the AD, the BoT (or regents or whatever) and Wolfe. I am certain Wolfe was told to quietly go away for fear that Mizzou would lose money. And does anyone really think Mike Slive would have tolerated one of his teams NOT playing a game because of this? In public, maybe yeah, but be sure he would have had a strong discussion with Pinkel and the AD.

If TRE goes on a hunger strike do we think Leahy will resign?
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:50 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

blog boy is saying that all their other demands for unicorns and rainbows were things that the university president couldn't have changed even if he wanted to. the only thing he had control over was the 10% faculty quota. the rest of the demands were ows type bullshit

If I go on a hunger strike can we stop playing Dudeck and Callahan? Maybe I'll aim high and we can settle on that.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:39 pm

This just popped up on my apple news feed:

Some Mizzou students on Yik Yak are not happy about president's resignation:
http://on.msnbc.com/1ScLiiu
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:03 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

If I go on a hunger strike can we stop playing Dudeck and Callahan? Maybe I'll aim high and we can settle on that.

I don't care enough about this team to skip a meal.

The "racial things" in the 90's that ATL refers to could not have been more contrived with an electrified contriving machine. It was some of the worst protesting I've seen. It was completely incoherent with scattershot demands and poorly-defined goals. People didn't know whether to support the protestors or heckle them because nobody knew what the hell they wanted. It fizzled out in 1996 due to boredom and indifference.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:42 pm

"Your rights end where my feelings begin."
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:50 pm

Mizzou should do exactly what BC is doing, play the walk ons! And the White Man marches on!
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:42 am

Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I don't care enough about this team to skip a meal.

The "racial things" in the 90's that ATL refers to could not have been more contrived with an electrified contriving machine. It was some of the worst protesting I've seen. It was completely incoherent with scattershot demands and poorly-defined goals. People didn't know whether to support the protestors or heckle them because nobody knew what the hell they wanted. It fizzled out in 1996 due to boredom and indifference.

This is a fair point. I would've had to strike like in August
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby mod6A on Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:15 pm

changing the culture of a university/town/state is not something any 1 person can do.

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium