CFP Rankings: A ND Conspiracy?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: CFP Rankings: A ND Conspiracy?

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:03 am

hansen {l Wrote}:It bothers me that we have 2 threads on the front page dedicated to those corn field living ass pirates.
Who gives a shit about them?

these fellows
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:03 am

hansen {l Wrote}:It bothers me that we have 2 threads on the front page dedicated to those corn field living ass pirates.

the thousands of dudes banging zhamhall's daughter
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:06 am

taylor swift
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:08 am

sports illustrated 10 years ago
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:15 am

actually, there is a large number of people that give a shit about them.

here's a handy chart

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:41 am

You have to stand, before you walk, and walk before you run. Before everyone gets all fired up when Dazz has BC winning the ACC in his sixth year and starts screaming about being snubbed by the CFP committee, we have to drop the Wagner's, HC, U Conns, and similar irrelevant programs from our schedule. That planning has to be underway NOW.

Winning the ACC as the goal is one thing. But The CFP committee is making it clear that SOS matters. That is why the Big 12 have only themselves to blame.

If sniffing the CFP is any kind of goal for BC, winning the ACC alone don't cut it.

I'd like Northwestern, Vandy, etc.. as scheduled regulars. That means Bates has to begin doing that now, and not wait until Dazz feels comfortable enough to demand some unearned contract extension two or three years from now.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:20 am

how about we try to win an acc game before we speculate about how bc wins the acc and gets into a playoff game.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:08 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:how about we try to win an acc game before we speculate about how bc wins the acc and gets into a playoff game.

To be honest, I am wrangling with the issue as to whether I want to reup for next year (both FF and season tix).

So I have been going back and forth on what it would take from my alma mater to keep me in the fold, after what has been one of the most frustrating 5 or 6 years in a long, long time. I'm trying to guess where this program is headed. I have no idea. I realize that Bates came into a situation that I am not sure he fully understood or appreciated. I fear he may have made coaching decisions based on incomplete or worse, ill-founded assumptions. That said, I am not sure what kind of an agenda was put forth by the search committee when they went looking for a new AD. That leads me to question the larger issues.

What are the goals for BC athletics from a wins-loss perspective? What would be the ultimate and continuing goal? Not from the fans perspective, but from the BC power-brokers perspective? Is it all about just competing while maintaining their graduation rates? If that is the ultimate goal, then lets face that reality and drop down to the HC and Ivy League realities. Because that won't work in the CFP/Power 5/cost of attendance world of college athletics, and particularly football.

I agree that a facilities upgrade is a necessary component to keep pace with their present opponents, but an indoor practice facility is liking only in the cards if and when some very moneyed supporter or supporters are willing to belly-up to the bar. Are there any such big money guys that are committed and involved enough to do that? I honestly don't know. I remember getting an athletic department report maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and reading some surprising facts about BC. One that stood out was how few people are actual FF contributors. This kind of thing (significant facility upgrades) ain't happening based on general support.If I were Bates, my first agenda would be to gather the largest $$$ contributors together and form a planning committee that would set forward a 10-15 year athletic master plan, and strategize the goals and objectives and the resources needed to get there. That includes strategizing athletic schedules that support that plan, as schedules are not something that can or should be cobbled together year to year (like it appears to have been happening of late). Now, sometimes, shit happens, and plans have to be adjusted. But that doesn't preclude the necessity for the master plan. The CFP has changed up the landscape at the top now, and as a result, it has to necessitate a change in overall institution strategy IF BC has illusions of really competing at that level.That is a plan that is well above any coach, as its likely no coach would have the staying power over the long term. But the coaches that are hired have to be on board with the long term objectives, and not be allowed to sway the short term (like scheduling Howard and Wagner to support rebuilding) for their short term well-being.

Bottom line, I have no idea what BC hopes to accomplish in the world of CFP and Power 5 conferences, and "cost of attendance" inequities. I fear that they don't have to heart or desire or the resources to compete in that environment. And if that's the case, that is OK. But from the perspective of an individual fan and a contributor, I want to know that, because it will result in what I choose to do in the future as well. Now that I can get a ticket and parking to any individual game I want, that is a cheaper alternative and enough to satisfy the "fan" in me going forward. But its the contributor part that I am struggling with, because, frankly, I don't know what it is I am actually supporting.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:17 am

I went from laying flat on my back to jumping up and taking off in a dead sprint at age 13 months. Skipped all the other steps. Went 100 yards in my first try and qualified for the Olympic Time Trials.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:22 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:how about we try to win an acc game before we speculate about how bc wins the acc and gets into a playoff game.

To be honest, I am wrangling with the issue as to whether I want to reup for next year (both FF and season tix).

So I have been going back and forth on what it would take from my alma mater to keep me in the fold, after what has been one of the most frustrating 5 or 6 years in a long, long time. I'm trying to guess where this program is headed. I have no idea. I realize that Bates came into a situation that I am not sure he fully understood or appreciated. I fear he may have made coaching decisions based on incomplete or worse, ill-founded assumptions. That said, I am not sure what kind of an agenda was put forth by the search committee when they went looking for a new AD. That leads me to question the larger issues.

What are the goals for BC athletics from a wins-loss perspective? What would be the ultimate and continuing goal? Not from the fans perspective, but from the BC power-brokers perspective? Is it all about just competing while maintaining their graduation rates? If that is the ultimate goal, then lets face that reality and drop down to the HC and Ivy League realities. Because that won't work in the CFP/Power 5/cost of attendance world of college athletics, and particularly football.

I agree that a facilities upgrade is a necessary component to keep pace with their present opponents, but an indoor practice facility is liking only in the cards if and when some very moneyed supporter or supporters are willing to belly-up to the bar. Are there any such big money guys that are committed and involved enough to do that? I honestly don't know. I remember getting an athletic department report maybe 5 or 6 years ago, and reading some surprising facts about BC. One that stood out was how few people are actual FF contributors. This kind of thing (significant facility upgrades) ain't happening based on general support.If I were Bates, my first agenda would be to gather the largest $$$ contributors together and form a planning committee that would set forward a 10-15 year athletic master plan, and strategize the goals and objectives and the resources needed to get there. That includes strategizing athletic schedules that support that plan, as schedules are not something that can or should be cobbled together year to year (like it appears to have been happening of late). Now, sometimes, shit happens, and plans have to be adjusted. But that doesn't preclude the necessity for the master plan. The CFP has changed up the landscape at the top now, and as a result, it has to necessitate a change in overall institution strategy IF BC has illusions of really competing at that level.That is a plan that is well above any coach, as its likely no coach would have the staying power over the long term. But the coaches that are hired have to be on board with the long term objectives, and not be allowed to sway the short term (like scheduling Howard and Wagner to support rebuilding) for their short term well-being.

Bottom line, I have no idea what BC hopes to accomplish in the world of CFP and Power 5 conferences, and "cost of attendance" inequities. I fear that they don't have to heart or desire or the resources to compete in that environment. And if that's the case, that is OK. But from the perspective of an individual fan and a contributor, I want to know that, because it will result in what I choose to do in the future as well. Now that I can get a ticket and parking to any individual game I want, that is a cheaper alternative and enough to satisfy the "fan" in me going forward. But its the contributor part that I am struggling with, because, frankly, I don't know what it is I am actually supporting.

There's so much talented youth on the field for BC this year. They're getting their asses kicked, but they're talented and they're getting experience. If you sat through this year's games you owe it to yourself to be there for the payoff that will come in the next few years.

One off years happen. If BC is still a dumpster fire by this time next year, then it might be time to reconsider for 2017. But honestly, buy 2016.

As for the argument that you don't want to support a program that hasn't convinced you they're committed to top tier athletics, try to remember that the program needs to have support to make further investments. Cutting off your nose to spite your face...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:14 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:To be honest, I am wrangling with the issue as to whether I want to reup for next year (both FF and season tix).

tl;dr
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:20 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:I'd like Northwestern, Vandy, etc.. as scheduled regulars. That means Bates has to begin doing that now, and not wait until Dazz feels comfortable enough to demand some unearned contract extension two or three years from now.

Bates hasn't scheduled a single p5 game in his 37 months on the job, I'm not holding my breath
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:25 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:To be honest, I am wrangling with the issue as to whether I want to reup for next year (both FF and season tix).

tl;dr

he can't decide if he wants to spend money on the football team or donate to the ff but acknowledges that the team will never get better and the corners will never get filled if bc's alumni doesn't spend money on football and donate to the ff. as a result, my like obama's communism, the deep pockets should throw away all their money that they don't need and therefore shouldn't have so that bc can fill in the corners and therefore have fans that may or may not be wearing starter jackets
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:51 pm

As long as Leahy is at BC forget about athletics
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:54 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:As long as Leahy is at BC forget about athletics

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Ben Roethlisberger on Thu Nov 05, 2015 12:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I don't get it.
Ben Roethlisberger
n00b

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:15 pm

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:15 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:As for the argument that you don't want to support a program that hasn't convinced you they're committed to top tier athletics, try to remember that the program needs to have support to make further investments. Cutting off your nose to spite your face...

ugh

I'm not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:30 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:

There's so much talented youth on the field for BC this year. They're getting their asses kicked, but they're talented and they're getting experience. If you sat through this year's games you owe it to yourself to be there for the payoff that will come in the next few years.

One off years happen. If BC is still a dumpster fire by this time next year, then it might be time to reconsider for 2017. But honestly, buy 2016.

As for the argument that you don't want to support a program that hasn't convinced you they're committed to top tier athletics, try to remember that the program needs to have support to make further investments. Cutting off your nose to spite your face...

Honestly, if you have seen the numbers, the type of investments needed to build competitive infrastructure for the football program have to come from high roller donors, not from the preponderance of FF Donors.The numbers I saw are like 6 years old. It's safe to say that the numbers have shrunk, not growth, in terms of contributors. The number of seats sitting empty in the DBS sections have grown every year for the past 4-5 years.
If one wants evidence of program direction, one should simply look at scheduling fiasco. As someone pointed out in this thread, Bates hasn't scheduled an OOC power 5 school yet.
Finally, the real problems at BC are not vested (solely) with the debacle of the past 6-8 years with coaching drama, etc...So waiting one year to see an improved performance relatively speaking misses the point. The college football landscape is changing rapidly, and will continue to become more exclusive for those who have and spend money.
BC was wise enough to escape the disaster that was in the making when they dumped the Big East. It resulted in a bigger payday annually which, by the numbers covers their athletic scholarship commitments. But it falls way short of financing indoor practice facilities, etc.. and other incidental costs (like cost of attendance) that really competitive programs have spent and will continue to spend.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:46 pm

eagletx {l Wrote}:BC was wise enough to escape the disaster that was in the making when they dumped the Big East. It resulted in a bigger payday annually which, by the numbers covers their athletic scholarship commitments. But it falls way short of financing indoor practice facilities, etc.. and other incidental costs (like cost of attendance) that really competitive programs have spent and will continue to spend.

I'm still trying to figure out what BC is doing with the ACC money. Haven't added scholarships. Cost hasn't gone up much (and tv revenue should have gone up to offset this with new negotiations that have taken place). Was it fuzzy accounting in the BE to pretend we weren't losing money?
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:48 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:As for the argument that you don't want to support a program that hasn't convinced you they're committed to top tier athletics, try to remember that the program needs to have support to make further investments. Cutting off your nose to spite your face...

ugh

I'm not gonna fall for the banana in the tailpipe again.

at least prison taught you something...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:49 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:BC was wise enough to escape the disaster that was in the making when they dumped the Big East. It resulted in a bigger payday annually which, by the numbers covers their athletic scholarship commitments. But it falls way short of financing indoor practice facilities, etc.. and other incidental costs (like cost of attendance) that really competitive programs have spent and will continue to spend.

I'm still trying to figure out what BC is doing with the ACC money. Haven't added scholarships. Cost hasn't gone up much (and tv revenue should have gone up to offset this with new negotiations that have taken place). Was it fuzzy accounting in the BE to pretend we weren't losing money?

travel costs. duh
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:00 pm

#4 with a bullet. Suck on that Back Up College!
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:59 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

these fellows

Which one is angry dick?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:00 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

these fellows

Which one is angry dick?

with tights AND briefs... probably both of them
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:07 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

these fellows

Which one is angry dick?

with tights AND briefs... probably both of them

My first thought was that it had to be lefty because a hippie haircut like righty has wouldn't fly in the Kinloch men's bar. But then I started thinking that AD kinda likes to stir the pot a little bit, so he would probably roll with the overgrown salad behind his ears to cause a minor stir. Like a low-level boarding school rebel. That plus the fact that righty seems to have some sort of tumor on his ball sac that makes it hang down like a baby's diarrhea diaper, which could explain why AD is so angry all the time, makes me nearly certain that it is righty.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:22 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:#4 with a bullet. Suck on that Back Up College!

Unfortunately, a Baylor win over Oklahoma will be much more impressive this week than a ND win over Wake. I'd expect ND to get jumped this week.

Almost no way for ND to hold #4 with only Stanford left on the schedule. Sunk by no Championship game and unlucky down years for the meat of their schedule.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:39 am

Keep telling yourself that Wait List, if it makes you feel better. The committee has spoken clearly about what it thinks about the Big 12. As the ESPN panel said last night, assuming Stanford and Notre Dame enter their showdown with one loss, the winner is in--in Stanford's case assuming they win the Championship game.

With that said, it is highly unlikely any of the Big 12 teams gets out undefeated. When you backload all of your tough games, you tend to get uneven performances from week to week. The other interesting scenario from last night was what happens if Michigan State beats Ohio State, Ohio State gets beat by Michigan and Michigan beats Iowa in the Big 10 Championship. Likely result is the Big 10 is shut out. Because a 2 loss team ain't getting in, Iowa isn't getting in because they will have lost their only quality game and Michigan State's loss to a horrific Nebraska is disqualifying.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:50 am

I'm smelling green unis in two weeks.

Damn, they already have throwbacks? Oh well.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:04 pm

BC 2- ND 0

Field will be flooded due to higher than usual rainfall and an issue with Fenway drainage. Landry gets a safety after a botched punt.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium