Official 2015 Counterweight of Optimism Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official 2015 Counterweight of Optimism Thread

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:42 am

Also, I think Bates is right for the program. I know his first three years haven't set the world on fire, but I think he has the right vision for BC and I trust him to get stuff done. Certainly more than GDF.

- I think we'll see the master plan soon and the facilities upgrades that will come with it.
- I think we'll see attendance rise with a better product on the field.
- I think the town halls and bringing in professional marketers will pay dividends.
- I think he's onto something with modeling a big BC tailgating option on The Grove. Offer more and better options for tailgaters taking the T. If it takes off, it sends a clear message to the surrounding communities that we're trying to relieve traffic congestion. Might be just what we need to leverage some relaxed tailgating regulations. If there are fewer cars, after all, it's easier to ask for early arrival, longer hours and the like.
- I think Bates understands scheduling. He understands the marketing value of Baby Rapists, but he also understands scheduling so that your team, in it's current state, can be competitive. Again, people that want all marquee games just go look at what it's done for UVa. There's no benefit to getting crushed by multiple P5 teams every year. Bates understands this. So yes, we're scheduling cupcakes now, but that's probably the right strategy for a developing team. I'm expecting that 5 years down the road, after we've won a national championship (or two) you'll see the scheduling standards change.

In general, I think Bates wants to distinguish himself with his time at BC, take a giant step out of the mid-major world. And more than anything, I think the administration will inevitably come around to the importance of athletics and investing in athletics. And if they don't, there's always hope for the next president when Leahy steps down. Either way, I'm excited!

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle
Last edited by dtwalrus on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:43 am

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:49 am

Oh, and I'm calling for an early opening of 10-2 season for 2016...starting TODAY!

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:52 am

I like Daz's offensive blue print. The play calling and execution leave something to be desired.

Bates is terrible. If his performance were evaluated like mine at work he'd be unemployed
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:25 pm

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 2014 Eagle on Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Christ- the one day I decide to go on this site at work because things have seemed tame lately...
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:06 pm

Every.Single.Thread
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:09 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I like Daz's offensive blue print. The play calling and execution leave something to be desired.

Bates is terrible. If his performance were evaluated like mine at work he'd be unemployed

1) My hope is that with reliable and experienced playmakers on the field, the play calling will be expanded and the time management issues will be less visible.

2) My hope is that Bates has the right ideas but they're not being green-lit by the administration. I think Bates has the right vision and the right sensibilities for the program. His ideas are good, it's just that unfortunately all decisions need to go through Leahy and the Board, which seem to be reluctant to embrace the new realities of modern college athletics. The cfb world is shifting towards Bates sensibilities. It's just a matter of time before the university leadership sees the writing on the wall and starts giving Bates the go-ahead on more of his ideas.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:11 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
...My hope is that Bates has the right ideas but they're not being green-lit by the administration. I think Bates has the right vision and the right sensibilities for the program. His ideas are good, it's just that unfortunately all decisions need to go through Leahy and the Board, which seem to be reluctant to embrace the new realities of modern college athletics. The cfb world is shifting towards Bates sensibilities. It's just a matter of time before the university leadership sees the writing on the wall and starts giving Bates the go-ahead on more of his ideas.

i bet walrus has sent money to the nigerian minister that offered him the millions for a small payment now
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:14 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
...My hope is that Bates has the right ideas but they're not being green-lit by the administration. I think Bates has the right vision and the right sensibilities for the program. His ideas are good, it's just that unfortunately all decisions need to go through Leahy and the Board, which seem to be reluctant to embrace the new realities of modern college athletics. The cfb world is shifting towards Bates sensibilities. It's just a matter of time before the university leadership sees the writing on the wall and starts giving Bates the go-ahead on more of his ideas.

i bet walrus has sent money to the nigerian minister that offered him the millions for a small payment now

The Nigerian minister has the right vision and the right sensibilities. Unfortunately all decisions have to go through the Nigerian bi-gg-um cabal, which seems reluctant to embrace the new realities of modern wire transfers. Luckily for walrus, it's just a matter of time before the cabal leadership sees the writing on the wall and starts giving the minister the go-ahead to start sending over the money.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:37 am

I am so psyched for the future of this team! Nobody likes having to give up on a season, but now we can just ride the rookies and get some great experience in there the rest of the way. Two weeks for these kids to prep for Notre Dame. To dream of knocking off a "rival." And then to take the field and learn what it really takes. And then finish off with another "rival" on the road after likely disappointment at Fenway. Going to pay major dividends down the road.

Hoping for another win!
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Nov 08, 2015 9:45 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I am so psyched for the future of this team! Nobody likes having to give up on a season, but now we can just ride the rookies and get some great experience in there the rest of the way. Two weeks for these kids to prep for Notre Dame. To dream of knocking off a "rival." And then to take the field and learn what it really takes. And then finish off with another "rival" on the road after likely disappointment at Fenway. Going to pay major dividends down the road.

Hoping for another win!

Clever, Coach Addazio....except you didn't camouflage your comments here from your comments post game and in the paper this morning. But I give you a B+ for trying, which is more than I can say for your in-game coaching perspective.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:19 am

Was debating with myself what thread to post this in... Then I realized how ridiculously Polly Anna-ish this sounds and that this is the only appropriate thread for it.

Maybe it's better we didn't make a bowl?

Now, hear me out. Obviously a bowl would've been better based on our preseason roster. But where we stand now, with injuries and the disappointing upperclassmen situation, suddenly starting mostly freshmen and sophomores, maybe it's better not to make a bowl.

My theory: 15 bowl practices would be great if we were working on scheme and execution, BUT what this team really needs right now, especially the undersized youth on the line, is as much time to work on strength, conditioning and bulking the fuck up before next year as possible.

Unless I'm wrong in assuming that the weight training routine is more intense off season as opposed to during the / bowl prep...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:03 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Was debating with myself what thread to post this in... Then I realized how ridiculously Polly Anna-ish this sounds and that this is the only appropriate thread for it.

Maybe it's better we didn't make a bowl?

Now, hear me out. Obviously a bowl would've been better based on our preseason roster. But where we stand now, with injuries and the disappointing upperclassmen situation, suddenly starting mostly freshmen and sophomores, maybe it's better not to make a bowl.

My theory: 15 bowl practices would be great if we were working on scheme and execution, BUT what this team really needs right now, especially the undersized youth on the line, is as much time to work on strength, conditioning and bulking the fuck up before next year as possible.

Unless I'm wrong in assuming that the weight training routine is more intense off season as opposed to during the / bowl prep...

no
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:07 am

Practices would have been a huge help for Smith as he gets ready to fight Wade and Brown for a job, next season, and as he looks like he is gaining some confidence, might even give him a leg up. It also would have been a giant help for the young offensive linemen to build cohesion. Spring will be very important for this team at those two positions, and an extended fall would have been huge.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:20 pm

This team is better off not making a bowl. They have been so horribly beat down this season all the way around that getting started on the 2016 season is more beneficial. Smith can still organize 7v7s with the underclassmen.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:21 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Practices would have been a huge help for Smith as he gets ready to fight Wade and Brown for a job, next season, and as he looks like he is gaining some confidence, might even give him a leg up. It also would have been a giant help for the young offensive linemen to build cohesion. Spring will be very important for this team at those two positions, and an extended fall would have been huge.

Everything that Daz is saying (chose to believe him or not) is that the young OL are totally spent by this point. All I see more practices doing is reinforcing bad habits.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:14 am

If BC had won enough games to make a bowl they wouldn't be worn down mentally or as worn down physically. There's no scenario where fifteen practices wouldn't help this team.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:49 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If BC had won enough games to make a bowl they wouldn't be worn down mentally or as worn down physically. There's no scenario where fifteen practices wouldn't help this team.

how about if they were 15 "spaz practices" where everyone was asked to run full bore and injuries became numerous (like they did when spaz was here). i'd call that a scenario that wouldn't help this team
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:56 am

I'm assuming that a good coach is not using all 15 practices to go full bore in pads, but instead is focused on giving guys reps with the playbook. But yes, 15 extra full pad sessions would be bad.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm assuming that a good coach is not using all 15 practices to go full bore in pads, but instead is focused on giving guys reps with the playbook. But yes, 15 extra full pad sessions would be bad.

so there IS a scenario where 15 more practices wouldn't help this team... and it's even a scenario that's played out on our own campus.

yay!
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:46 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Practices would have been a huge help for Smith as he gets ready to fight Wade and Brown for a job, next season, and as he looks like he is gaining some confidence, might even give him a leg up. It also would have been a giant help for the young offensive linemen to build cohesion. Spring will be very important for this team at those two positions, and an extended fall would have been huge.

Everything that Daz is saying (chose to believe him or not) is that the young OL are totally spent by this point. All I see more practices doing is reinforcing bad habits.

....reinforcing "bad habits" that bad coaching apparently is incapable of correcting. Preseason and and 12 weeks into a season and the same "bad habits" still evident??? Keep in mind that three starting OL men at the beginning have been around awhile. It's not their first time in the rodeo. Maybe they didn't play much before this season, but they have been in the system, and presumably have been coached in techniques. The freshmen are in because of the unremitting disaster that has been the OL all season long. Eventually, I think you either have to conclude the coaching is deficient, or the talent is deficient. And that is not to say that they play up to "all conference" standards...it is only the modest expectation that you see development, improvement however slow, flashes of consistency, especially against lesser opponents. Playing the "youth" card gets more than a little tiring.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:17 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:If BC had won enough games to make a bowl they wouldn't be worn down mentally or as worn down physically. There's no scenario where fifteen practices wouldn't help this team.

This
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium