Spaz's goals

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Spaz's goals

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:40 pm

People on here go on and on and on about how spaz has set low goals and just wanted to get bowl eligible and wouldn't even "try" for an ACC championship. Say what you will about the hire, how good of a coach he is, whatever....but he is not settling for TOB-like goals. The ultimate goal is an ACC championship, so enough of this shit about him being complacent

On becoming bowl eligible:
“People ask me, “are you happy at 6-3?” Well no. We think we should be 9-0. That’s how we play, we
practice, that’s our goal to win one game at time every week. We’re just not satisfied and we can’t be.
You can never be. You just have to keep going forward and build. We’ve come a long way but we still
have a long way to go.”
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Re: Spaz's goals

Postby cvilleagle on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:43 pm

That quote is belied by his earlier "we just need 3 more" comment. Sure he would like to win more, but the level of preparation for the Clemson and Virginia Tech games made 9-0 just impossible. I don't see Notre Dame as being as big a disaster as those two. If he thinks we should be 9-0, maybe he should actually try to win the tech game, and have the offensive line ready for Clemson.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:46 pm

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:That quote is belied by his earlier "we just need 3 more" comment. Sure he would like to win more, but the level of preparation for the Clemson and Virginia Tech games made 9-0 just impossible. I don't see Notre Dame as being as big a disaster as those two. If he thinks we should be 9-0, maybe he should actually try to win the tech game, and have the offensive line ready for Clemson.

He never said "we just need 3 more".
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:29 pm

I don't care what Spaz says the goals are now. The gameplan against Clemson, and his halftime comments, were abhorrent. VTech was horrific, as was the ridiculous notion that we needed to get the whole second unit experience at the end of the first quarter when we were getting whacked. The belly up wins against Wake and FSU were also disgusting. Bowing to ND instead of going for the jugular over and over also made me throw up.

Spaz just happens to be in a nice position right now. He's thrilled. He beat the expectations that the media imposed, and he happily embraced. Everything else from here is gravy and cookies and naps.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagle74 on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:39 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:I don't care what Spaz says the goals are now. The gameplan against Clemson, and his halftime comments, were abhorrent. VTech was horrific, as was the ridiculous notion that we needed to get the whole second unit experience at the end of the first quarter when we were getting whacked. The belly up wins against Wake and FSU were also disgusting. Bowing to ND instead of going for the jugular over and over also made me throw up.

Spaz just happens to be in a nice position right now. He's thrilled. He beat the expectations that the media imposed, and he happily embraced. Everything else from here is gravy and cookies and naps.

Thanks Shelby.

if you sit down and look at the teams we beat and CMU was very good, the road debacles, the way we lost and the in game strategy, Spazzoo is TOB.

He can distance himself from that Puscadore with 3 wins and an ACCCG win.

Make no mistake, BC will be favored all 3.

If Clemson stubs its toe, and Bc loses 1, then wake the echoes, Spaz is TOB.
FALL 2011 WILL BE THE BEST EVER FOR BC SPORTS AT THE HEIGHTS!

Rettigun leading our Football team to 14-0 and a Title!

The Hoops Freshman starting a new Legacy!
The Icemen returneth for another shot at Title 5!

GO EAGLES!
BCEagle74
Fulton Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:50 pm

BCEagle74 {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:I don't care what Spaz says the goals are now. The gameplan against Clemson, and his halftime comments, were abhorrent. VTech was horrific, as was the ridiculous notion that we needed to get the whole second unit experience at the end of the first quarter when we were getting whacked. The belly up wins against Wake and FSU were also disgusting. Bowing to ND instead of going for the jugular over and over also made me throw up.

Thanks Shelby.

if you sit down and look at the teams we beat and CMU was very good, the road debacles, the way we lost and the in game strategy, Spazzoo is TOB.

He can distance himself from that Puscadore with 3 wins and an ACCCG win.

Make no mistake, BC will be favored all 3.

If Clemson stubs its toe, and Bc loses 1, then wake the echoes, Spaz is TOB.

UNC is a toss-up, the only way we will be favored is the 3 point home field spread. UVA and UMD are different stories
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:51 pm

just curious, what did you expect our record to be at this point before the season?
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby janebc on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:00 pm

I certainly expected us to win 6 games by now (and we are DAMNED lucky we won that Wake game). The media always, without fail, underestimates BC; Toby built a whole legend around himself by taking advantage of that very fact for years.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:11 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:

just curious, what did you expect our record to be at this point before the season?

I never predicted a record. But I expected our coach to state the same goal every team should have going into every season BEFORE the season--win 'em all with no excuses. I expected the coach of a team that just went to the ACCCG with a first year QB and a less inexperienced offense to say getting back to the ACCCG was the only goal and the experts can be damned. Not a coach who loved to tell the press that we were a work in progress, our talent was 'what it was,' and that a game 'could get ugly' at halftime. What we got is a coach who embraced the low expectations of the team like a security blanket, and has coached that way all season.

Like I said, Spaz is thrilled right now. We probably won't make the ACCCG, but our record will be respectable, and he can hold his head high that he led a team that was supposed to be in the basement to a meaningless bowl game. But other coaches I can remember would never have set our goals so low, or tried to conceal smug smiles about what an achievement this year has been. We have underachieved this year any way you slice it. And we have a coach that will ensure we perennially underachieve. If you can't see this based on the evidence, there's nothing I can really say. We are back to TOB and it should be obvious to anyone who lived through it.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby janebc on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:27 pm

Say what you will - Jags never let the media set his goals. :toby cynically used the media (like a pro, I will admit); every single year the pundits set a low bar for BC (even Matt Ryan's senior year, I recall-of course Toby had played him as little as possible his junior year, even though he proved himself the better QB) and Toby would exceed the artificially diminished predictions by as little as possible, thereby managing expectations & at the same time, creating the legend of the "Disciplinarian" who worked miracles in spite of no talent and the gambling scandal. I hope-I really hope-Spaz is not going to use media expectaions as a barometer for what he hopes to achieve for our team, because if he does, we'll always feel cheated. Jags might not have gotten us to the Promised Land, but he gave us a glimpse of it.
Last edited by janebc on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCLou on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:30 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:Like I said, Spaz is thrilled right now. We probably won't make the ACCCG, but our record will be respectable, and he can hold his head high that he led a team that was supposed to be in the basement to a meaningless bowl game. But other coaches I can remember would never have set our goals so low, or tried to conceal smug smiles about what an achievement this year has been. We have underachieved this year any way you slice it. And we have a coach that will ensure we perennially underachieve. If you can't see this based on the evidence, there's nothing I can really say. We are back to TOB and it should be obvious to anyone who lived through it.

You're making no sense at all. If we were supposed to be in the basement then how is it possible that with a shot to reach 9 wins and the ACCCG we've "underachieved this year any way you slice it"?
BCLou
Carney Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:33 pm

BCLou {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:Like I said, Spaz is thrilled right now. We probably won't make the ACCCG, but our record will be respectable, and he can hold his head high that he led a team that was supposed to be in the basement to a meaningless bowl game. But other coaches I can remember would never have set our goals so low, or tried to conceal smug smiles about what an achievement this year has been. We have underachieved this year any way you slice it. And we have a coach that will ensure we perennially underachieve. If you can't see this based on the evidence, there's nothing I can really say. We are back to TOB and it should be obvious to anyone who lived through it.

You're making no sense at all. If we were supposed to be in the basement then how is it possible that with a shot to reach 9 wins and the ACCCG we've "underachieved this year any way you slice it"?

The MEDIA said we should be in the basement. We were picked low just like last year we were picked low. But last year's coach didn't care. He said publicly we weren't listening to the media or anyone else. This year's coach is very in tune with the media and all too happy to confirm we aren't that good (when it suits him.) And if we slip and fall over the next 3 games he'll be right in front of the parade telling everyone we were climbing the impossible hill but we'll be better next year.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby janebc on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:38 pm

I don't want to speak for Billy Shelby, but I know what I fear - the mentality of "WOW! we've won 6 games and we're going to a bowl, even though ESPN predicted we'd have a losing record" mentality that will mean we go into super-conservative, play-not-to-lose mentality in our final 3 games, and that mind set will just about ensure a loss in at least one of them, but it really won't matter because we're going to a bowl.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:39 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:
BCLou {l Wrote}:

The MEDIA said we should be in the basement. We were picked low just like last year we were picked low. But last year's coach didn't care. He said publicly we weren't listening to the media or anyone else. This year's coach is very in tune with the media and all too happy to confirm we aren't that good (when it suits him.) And if we slip and fall over the next 3 games he'll be right in front of the parade telling everyone we were climbing the impossible hill but we'll be better next year.

we are in exactly the same position at this time this year that we were last year, dick....with much more to overcome, I might add. I'm glad you get caught up in the salesman stuff that jags sold in his press conferences. He sold the same pitch to Gene and he bought it too.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:42 pm

janebc {l Wrote}:I don't want to speak for Billy Shelby, but I know what I fear - the mentality of "WOW! we've won 6 games and we're going to a bowl, even though ESPN predicted we'd have a losing record" mentality that will mean we go into super-conservative, play-not-to-lose mentality in our final 3 games, and that mind set will just about ensure a loss in at least one of them, but it really won't matter because we're going to a bowl.

read the quote to start the thread. Its not Spaz that is setting the goals low...its the jags dick suckers on this board that like to think that Spaz is thinking that way.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby janebc on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:48 pm

Right now, I believe Spaz is a better coach than Toby; at the very least, Spaz is not keeping his best talent on the bench like that idiot did. However, I despised what I saw at Clemson and VT, as well as the second half of the Wake game, which we almost lost becauseof Toby-style coaching. I hope Spaz is not using the low media expectations like :toby did.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:50 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:
BCLou {l Wrote}:

we are in exactly the same position at this time this year that we were last year, dick....with much more to overcome, I might add. I'm glad you get caught up in the salesman stuff that jags sold in his press conferences. He sold the same pitch to Gene and he bought it too.

The fact you think we're in the "same" place tells me all I need to know.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:55 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
janebc {l Wrote}:I don't want to speak for Billy Shelby, but I know what I fear - the mentality of "WOW! we've won 6 games and we're going to a bowl, even though ESPN predicted we'd have a losing record" mentality that will mean we go into super-conservative, play-not-to-lose mentality in our final 3 games, and that mind set will just about ensure a loss in at least one of them, but it really won't matter because we're going to a bowl.

read the quote to start the thread. Its not Spaz that is setting the goals low...its the jags dick suckers on this board that like to think that Spaz is thinking that way.

The responses to the thread have to do with Spaz saying...NOW...that he's not happy with not winning all the games. He never said that before the season. He was never even angry after the two conference games where we got undressed on national TV. And the countdown to 6 is starting to make even more sense given these comments. Why do you think he's saying it now? It's because we made a freaking bowl. Now he can relax knowing that no matter what we do over the next three, he's "off the hook." It's so obvious the way Spaz thinks.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:58 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

The responses to the thread have to do with Spaz saying...NOW...that he's not happy with not winning all the games. He never said that before the season. He was never even angry after the two conference games where we got undressed on national TV. And the countdown to 6 is starting to make even more sense given these comments. Why do you think he's saying it now? It's because we made a freaking bowl. Now he can relax knowing that no matter what we do over the next three, he's "off the hook." It's so obvious the way Spaz thinks.

if you really think the goal this year was to win 6 games, then I am done with discussing this with you. And I think you forgot last year how we were looking after the UNC and Clemson games. We have actually showed more progression this year than last.And the "countdown to 6" is complete bullshit that you and HJS like to think actually happened.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:06 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

if you really think the goal this year was to win 6 games, then I am done with discussing this with you. And I think you forgot last year how we were looking after the UNC and Clemson games. We have actually showed more progression this year than last.And the "countdown to 6" is complete bullshit that you and HJS like to think actually happened.

I am not saying that I think Spaz is great. I am reserving judgement until the end of the season. Unforunately, people like you have preconceived notions of spaz - you hated the hire and will look for anything to condemn him. The fact is, we DID have a shitload to overcome this season. Were the VT and Clemson games complete fuck ups? Yeah. But overall, BC can still have a great season and make the ACC title game. You have already pre-judged the season though, because you bought ito the Jags press conference persona and don't realize the results were not that unbelievable,
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:07 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

Last year we beat Wake Forest, Maryland, and FSU after beating ND and all those games were legit. This year we've gotten pasted in the only two games against decent ACC opponents, and have been lucky to avoid every other good team in the ACC unlike Clemson. Think about it--FSU at home is our signature win. Wake at home is second and it's nothing to get excited about. Every other win is dogshit--NCS and 3 OOC's that aren't qualified to wash my underwear. Even if we win out, we'll have done it against UVA, MD, and UNC, the dregs of the whole conference. So not only did Spaz bathe himself in low media expectations, he did it in a year where we had a schedule that couldn't have been easier.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCLou on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:07 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:
BCLou {l Wrote}:

There are enough legitimate reasons to criticize Spaz but the notion that he has masterfully hoodwinked the media to downgrade his team in order to make himself look good is pure nonsense. Have you forgotten that we started the season without a QB who had completed even 1 pass in a college game? Are you aware that we're missing our three best defensive players from last season? I must've missed the press conference in which Spaz set the goals low. When exactly was that?

I don't agree with everything he's done by a long shot but he doesn't deserve to be criticized because his personality doesn't happen to match that of the guy he succeeded and labeling him a perennial underachiever after less than one season on the job is nonsense pure and simple.
BCLou
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:10 pm

BCLou {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:
BCLou {l Wrote}:

There are enough legitimate reasons to criticize Spaz but the notion that he has masterfully hoodwinked the media to downgrade his team in order to make himself look good is pure nonsense. Have you forgotten that we started the season without a QB who had completed even 1 pass in a college game? Are you aware that we're missing our three best defensive players from last season? I must've missed the press conference in which Spaz set the goals low. When exactly was that?

I don't agree with everything he's done by a long shot but he doesn't deserve to be criticized because his personality doesn't happen to match that of the guy he succeeded and labeling him a perennial underachiever after less than one season on the job is nonsense pure and simple.

5 stars 5 stars 5 stars. Spaz never set low expectations. The media did and the jags-lovers on this board did.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby billyshelby on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:12 pm

BCLou {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:
BCLou {l Wrote}:

Have you forgotten we started last season with a QB whose sole experience was against Buffalo and the occasional mop up duty? There was no difference. And you seem to be trying to misread my post. The media set our goals low. We were picked last. Spaz never made one comment to suggest they weren't right, and he embraced it when we got smashed against Clemson and VTech. Jags faced the same low expectations. He didn't buy it from day one, said as much, and said the same thing during the season. His goal was clearly stated--get back to the ACCCG. I've never heard Spaz say that once.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby janebc on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:14 pm

Low media expectations, plus tolerance from an apathetic fan base, creates a situation that just begs to be exploited. Just look at the NC State fans, who, by all reports, caught on to O'Brien's schtick a LOT faster than we did - they are ready to send him packing. Any coach that even gives a hint of taking advantage of that dynamic makes some of us paranoid.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:16 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:
BCLou {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:
BCLou {l Wrote}:

Have you forgotten we started last season with a QB whose sole experience was against Buffalo and the occasional mop up duty? There was no difference. And you seem to be trying to misread my post. The media set our goals low. We were picked last. Spaz never made one comment to suggest they weren't right, and he embraced it when we got smashed against Clemson and VTech. Jags faced the same low expectations. He didn't buy it from day one, said as much, and said the same thing during the season. His goal was clearly stated--get back to the ACCCG. I've never heard Spaz say that once.

read shinkie's quote about what the goals were for the season. TO MAKE THE ACC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. you made my point for me when you said even if we win out against UNC, UVA, and MD, you think Spaz had a crap season. Good night Mrs. Jags.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Postby AdamBC on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:19 pm

Eagledom {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:
Eagledom {l Wrote}:

I think everyone is reading into this video:

Now at 3:11 he says after our fourth win "Now that's four and" and he holds up what appear to be two fingers and the audio cuts off. I don't know what he was going to say next, but if Vinny has access to the rest of the post-game speech, we might know what his goal was after the Wake game.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby janebc on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:22 pm

Nobody will think Spaz has had a crap season if he wins the next 3. And nobody thinks Spaz hoodwinked the media; it is simply their gospel truth that BC cannot have a good team and every year when we do, it is, in the media's view, a fluke that will not happen again next year.
janebc
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCLou on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:38 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:
BCLou {l Wrote}:
billyshelby {l Wrote}:
BCLou {l Wrote}:

Then you just aren't paying attention. He said almost exactly that less than a week ago. You've failed to address the team's significant defensive shortcomings, issues which had nothing whatever to do with Spaz and I will strenuously disagree with your claim that there was no difference in the QB situation this year vs. last.

You and the others on this board who parrot the same gibberish are practicing guilt by association, i.e anybody who spent that many years around Toby must be a Toby clone and therefore can't possibly be any good. Excuse me if I'm not ready to put Spaz in that category just yet.
BCLou
Carney Hall

Postby Eagledom on Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:39 pm

janebc {l Wrote}:Nobody will think Spaz has had a crap season if he wins the next 3. And nobody thinks Spaz hoodwinked the media; it is simply their gospel truth that BC cannot have a good team and every year when we do, it is, in the media's view, a fluke that will not happen again next year.

no one is debating that. this has nothing to do with the media. I am just saying that a lot of posters had predetermined that Spaz = TOBY before the season started and that because Spaz isn't the media soundbite that Jags was, he has set low expectations for the team and that there is nothing BC can do this year to dispell that thinking.
Eagledom
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium