Flutie or Smith?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Flutie or Smith?

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:50 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:walrus, this team does not need a game manager. there is no time to manage the game. this team needs someone to get to the edge before getting murderated.

We have plenty of players who can get to the edge, against defenses like NIU, Duke, Wake, NCST and Syracuse. I just don't understand why there's panic when this team is performing exactly how we expected they would in preseason.

The guy with the ball needs to be the one to get to the edge.

No one is panicking, just noting that those teams have better D-lines than Maine.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:51 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:I don't know about Maine as shaky. Yeah in game experience these players are young but I expected a line of SR-SO-JR-SR-JR (NOSPACE POST) to be able to push around an FCS line. That didn't happen.

To be fair, it wasn't that our OLine wasn't able to push around an FCS line going 1-on-1. We struggled in the first half to create big holes against 9 man boxes. Maine played us well. They knew we wouldn't throw and they made it hard on us to run. I wasn't as pessimistic as others after Maine.

C'mon man.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:02 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:I don't know about Maine as shaky. Yeah in game experience these players are young but I expected a line of SR-SO-JR-SR-JR (NOSPACE POST) to be able to push around an FCS line. That didn't happen.

To be fair, it wasn't that our OLine wasn't able to push around an FCS line going 1-on-1. We struggled in the first half to create big holes against 9 man boxes. Maine played us well. They knew we wouldn't throw and they made it hard on us to run. I wasn't as pessimistic as others after Maine.

C'mon man.

I feel obligated to push back against the overwhelming wave of negativity. An Angel's Advocate of sorts. And I sincerely believe that we'll all feel a lot better about this team after the next three weeks, even with an (even more ) inexperienced rooking under center.

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:03 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

C'mon man.

I feel obligated to push back against the overwhelming wave of negativity. An Angel's Advocate of sorts. And I sincerely believe that we'll all feel a lot better about this team after the next three weeks, even with an (even more ) inexperienced rooking under center.

:screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle :koolaid :screamyeagle

I still think the team can win 6-7 games, so you're arguing with the wrong guy. I just think the line stinks and Flutie cant' throw.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:10 am

i'm in camp twb, the team will be fine, the D is too good. the OL is a concern as it hasn't progressed nearly as quickly as i was expecting
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby gallopingghost on Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:51 am

I had a chance to watch the senior highlight films of both Smith and Flutie. Smith ran the option perhaps 50% of the time, whereas Flutie did not run it once. Perhaps Smith will feel more comfortable running the option.

When he passed, Smith seemed the more disciplined as he threw the ball mostly form a planted stance. Flutie played a more scrambling, backyard, anything goes type of game, where he would literally run sideline to sideline and run circles around the D and then throw it off his back foot 40 yards down field right on the money. This is NOT going to work at the college level. Most of his rushing yards were from busted passing plays.

Neither one has a gun for an arm, but both were pretty accurate when they did throw it.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:02 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:I had a chance to watch the senior highlight films of both Smith and Flutie. Smith ran the option perhaps 50% of the time, whereas Flutie did not run it once. Perhaps Smith will feel more comfortable running the option.

When he passed, Smith seemed the more disciplined as he threw the ball mostly form a planted stance. Flutie played a more scrambling, backyard, anything goes type of game, where he would literally run sideline to sideline and run circles around the D and then throw it off his back foot 40 yards down field right on the money. This is NOT going to work at the college level. Most of his rushing yards were from busted passing plays.

Neither one has a gun for an arm, but both were pretty accurate when they did throw it.

Is this... is this... CONTENT? From ghost?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Bunratty on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:19 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:This board is acting like BC will never score another point this season unless we make drastic changes under center.

FSU was the #9 team in the country, could very well finish with a top 10 defense, and the defense is absolutely stocked with 4 and 5 star recruits who will play on Sunday's. We will not see another defense like that until we get to Louisville and Clemson. For these next 3 games, BC's offense will be good enough to score.

We don't need MORE athleticism under center. We don't need MORE playmakers on the field. We need a game-manager who isn't going to make any mistakes. Someone who can hand the ball off to our talented backs running behind our talented if inexperienced and mistake prone OLine, both of whom will have a lot more success against the NIU's, Duke's and Wake's of the world. And we need someone who can hit an open receiver on play actions. That's it. We just need someone that can run the schemes, move the chains, and not turn the ball over. We don't need to reinvent the offense right now because a good defense like FSU's dominated us.

Prediction: 17 points on offense is enough to win these next 3 games.

So everyone calm down. If it's Smith, fine. If it's Flutie, fine. Either way, the QB is not and never was going to decide our fate this year.

Walrus, I think some of the smarter posters with concerns are considering the first half of the Maine game together with FSU, which is not unreasonable. Some other posters are just dumb, like eepstein, who should apologize again.

I get that. But I'm not even sure how much we should consider Maine by now. This OLine officially has 600% more experience since that first half. Before Duke they'll have 800% more experience. It's a learning curve. The OLine is still on track, exactly where we expected them to be, despite the fact that we lost to a top 10 team (as expected).

Well if you expected the o-line to suck and continue to suck, then yeah.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:28 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:I had a chance to watch the senior highlight films of both Smith and Flutie. .

Were you wearing anything?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:37 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
gallopingghost {l Wrote}:I had a chance to watch the senior highlight films of both Smith and Flutie. .

Were you wearing anything?

e.s.t.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:38 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:i'm in camp twb, the team will be fine, the D is too good. the OL is a concern as it hasn't progressed nearly as quickly as i was expecting

i agree and stand by my 6-6 with an appeal for a bowl game prediction.

we will lose to a team that we shouldn't when they get lucky against our defense. we will not win against a team we shouldn't because this offense will be hard pressed for any luck other than bad
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:05 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:i'm in camp twb, the team will be fine, the D is too good. the OL is a concern as it hasn't progressed nearly as quickly as i was expecting

we will lose to a team that we shouldn't when they get lucky against our defense. we will not win against a team we shouldn't because this offense will be hard pressed for any luck other than bad

hopefully the surprise W will be the clemson game when the eo section heads down to the land of dee
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:09 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:

hopefully the surprise W will be the clemson game when the eo section heads down to the land of dee

you missed a not in the slightly funnier eepstein's post
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

tomando missed a knot in the much more funny tonto post.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:49 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

we both predicted 6-6 for this year, mrs. donahue... but i noted that we'll win our appeal with the ncaa and get blessed with another loss on the year whereas you hate the program so much you're assuming the ncaa tells us to go screw (while mailing us a burned red jersey with wade's name on it)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby JD2011 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:18 pm

Smith-run it down their throats...
JD2011
n00b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:42 pm

JD2011 {l Wrote}:Smith-run it down their throats...

this is awfully pious of you
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:16 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:This board is acting like BC will never score another point this season unless we make drastic changes under center.

FSU was the #9 team in the country, could very well finish with a top 10 defense, and the defense is absolutely stocked with 4 and 5 star recruits who will play on Sunday's. We will not see another defense like that until we get to Louisville and Clemson. For these next 3 games, BC's offense will be good enough to score.

We don't need MORE athleticism under center. We don't need MORE playmakers on the field. We need a game-manager who isn't going to make any mistakes. Someone who can hand the ball off to our talented backs running behind our talented if inexperienced and mistake prone OLine, both of whom will have a lot more success against the NIU's, Duke's and Wake's of the world. And we need someone who can hit an open receiver on play actions. That's it. We just need someone that can run the schemes, move the chains, and not turn the ball over. We don't need to reinvent the offense right now because a good defense like FSU's dominated us.

Prediction: 17 points on offense is enough to win these next 3 games.

So everyone calm down. If it's Smith, fine. If it's Flutie, fine. Either way, the QB is not and never was going to decide our fate this year.

A game manager is going to get killed back there behind this OLine. Our OLine couldn't open running lanes or protect Wade against Maine. This is why Smith needs to start.

Our defense is also going to have a tough time defending the Pick-6s Flutie throws this week.

The sky isn't falling, but until the OLine figures it out people should get ready for some ugly football.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:37 am

Our WRs couldn't separate from Howard's DBs so start the better runner - Smith. Every team will continue to play 8 in the box against us. Daz has upgraded every position but WR. I am hopeful that Kobay White will change things.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:06 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:... Daz has upgraded every position but WR...

the place kicking unit that cost us dozens of points last year and doesn't seem much improved this year says hello
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:09 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Daz has upgraded every position but WR.

We have more speed and athleticism at WR. I'm curious if its coaching at this point.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:37 am

For whatever reason, WR is the position after QB that takes the longest to develop unless you have elite talent. I'm hopeful that when some guys move through the system, we will see that the talent is already here, it's just raw.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:02 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:... Daz has upgraded every position but WR...

the place kicking unit that cost us dozens of points last year and doesn't seem much improved this year says hello

Extra points missed from last year say "did you forget about us?"
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:14 pm

Is that OCFHCRD? Jesus Christ, clean it up newb
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:23 pm

as i warned, trollmando would be fine if he avoided his shitastic photoshops

we have standards here
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:24 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
tomando {l Wrote}:Image

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a bad combination."

although i can kind of see the resemblance, i think that's actually tomando
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:25 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:as i warned, trollmando would be fine if he avoided his shitastic photoshops

we have standards here

The photoshop wasnt' horrible. Including the QB coach of the wrong Eagles was horrible.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
tomando {l Wrote}:Image

"Loneliness and cheeseburgers are a bad combination."

although i can kind of see the resemblance, i think that's actually tomando

You should feel good about all components of this.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:30 pm

tomando {l Wrote}:I'm a stupid moron with an ugly face and a big butt and my butt smells and I like to kiss my own butt.

I appreciate you encouraging me to post this here.

I didn't mistake anything that's happened here for "encouragement."
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 12:34 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:as i warned, trollmando would be fine if he avoided his shitastic photoshops

we have standards here

The photoshop wasnt' horrible. Including the QB coach of the wrong Eagles was horrible.

how quickly you forget ac

trollmando, what's incorrect about the picture you posted?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext