Flutie or Smith?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Flutie or Smith?

Postby DrJackRyan on Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:29 am

Brendan Nosovitch Gatorade Pennsylvania Football Player of the Year 2010?
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:18 pm

If we had Braxton Miller at QB, none of this would have been an issue and we would have won Friday. Just saying.

BTW someone unfollowed me on twitter when I mentioned Miller months ago.
Last edited by DuchesneEast on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:20 pm

If Smith isn't announced the starter, I will give Daz the same reception I gave TOB last Saturday and ring in "No One Could Be Worse than Addazio" season.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Throw out the Howard game, and BC rushing offense as a team in two games would rank 128th in yds/att (3.7) and 79th in yds/game (171.5). Now, regardless of who the QB was/is, that ain't what most folks expected, I wouldn't venture to say. Unless you believe that all four RBs have suddenly become mediocre, it says to me that the OL is the stumbling block, despite Addazio putting blame on the RBs last Saturday.

Given that, I think that adding the running/scrambling (????) dimension that Smith has over Flutie, I think you have to go with Smith Saturday. There is no reason or rationale to suggest that Flutie's alleged ability to throw better than Smith (which is all conjecture as far as I am concerned....no real in-game experience can support that contention) is enough to mask or make up for the deficiencies in the running game, or more precisely, the OL's ability to sustain the "power" run game successfully. So try the guy who is better equipped to bust a play or two or three with his legs. With our defense, that may be all you need this week, anyway.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby maxwell22 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:28 pm

With the current state of the OL I don't think it matters who is the QB.
maxwell22
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:30 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:'Flutie absolutely took command of the huddle – not in his performance but in how he looked like a leader out there. He communicated at the line of scrimmage, he communicated with his teammates, he showed the signs of becoming a leader out there which was not shown with Wade. This was obvious in the short time that he was out there.'

an actual comment, in 2015, based off 8 snaps

if his last name wasn't flutie, he wouldn't be here

Without joining Walrus's overstatement (dammit walrus you are making the silly over-reaction to Flutie semi-justified) or taking a position on Smith/Flutie, which I actually think it a question but almost entirely because I haven't seen either do anything of note yet, I would like to point out that the 8 snap thing has an identical
effect in both directions.

i.e., you cannot discount Flutie as a legacy only scholarship after eight snaps.

My discounting is based off the fact that in the last decade none of the highest ranked Mass QBs played any meaningful minutes as QBs in D1 (in the years they even sent a QB to D1) and 2 of the 3 that went to BC happened to have the same last name. *edit: see below

Also the fact that no other FBS program gave him an offer.

2005: Zach Asack, Duke. < 50% completion 1:2 TD / INT in 7 starts
2006: Billy Flutie, BC. Transitioned to WR & holder extraordinaire
2007: none went d1
2008: none went d1
2009: Charlie Loeb, Cuse. 9 passing attempts in 4 years, FG holder for 4 years
2010: Scott McCummings, UConn. 6-12 in 4 years
2011: none went d1
2012: AJ Doyle, UMass. Now a TE
2013: Mackay Lowrie, committed to BC, left for URI
2014: Miles Wright, can’t find anything of him playing D1

*this is all according to 247

Careful. Hjs is a lawyer and he may consider this IP infringement.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:36 am

maxwell22 {l Wrote}:With the current state of the OL I don't think it matters who is the QB.

This
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:59 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
maxwell22 {l Wrote}:With the current state of the OL I don't think it matters who is the QB.

This

I don't agree with this. If your line is athletic enough you can hide the fact that they don't move people with the spread option. Just can't go deep sea diving with Hilliman anymore. Give Smith the read option, the jet sweep, one or two misdirection plays and 5-8 pass patterns and BC can get to 6-7 wins with this defense.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:22 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This

I don't agree with this. If your line is athletic enough you can hide the fact that they don't move people with the spread option. Just can't go deep sea diving with Hilliman anymore. Give Smith the read option, the jet sweep, one or two misdirection plays and 5-8 pass patterns and BC can get to 6-7 wins with this defense.

Our line looked really athletic on that Alston sweep play where the block was missed to spring him for a 60 yard TD.

Smith is a better option obviously.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:34 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This

Our line looked really athletic on that Alston sweep play where the block was missed to spring him for a 60 yard TD.

Smith is a better option obviously.

He was athletic enough to be in the right spot. That was the stupids, not lack of athleticism. They have plenty of guys that can pull, few that can move a good DL
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:36 am

Do you think we will get an announcement on who the starter is before kickoff?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:45 am

ATL says there is no starter, they are both getting set packages.

His Misfits have added further ignorance to their desire for Flutie - now not only is Smith not as good a thrower according to those dipshits, but it should be Flutie because Smith is too small and will get hurt.

That'ss right, ignoring for a moment that they are the same size and that a BC QB this season is more likely to get killed in the pocket than anywhere, the guys clamoring for a Flutie are arguing the alternative is too small. Think about that for a minute.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:04 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:ATL says there is no starter, they are both getting set packages.

His Misfits have added further ignorance to their desire for Flutie - now not only is Smith not as good a thrower according to those dipshits, but it should be Flutie because Smith is too small and will get hurt.

That'ss right, ignoring for a moment that they are the same size and that a BC QB this season is more likely to get killed in the pocket than anywhere, the guys clamoring for a Flutie are arguing the alternative is too small. Think about that for a minute.

I can't even deal with the Misfits right now.

The only reason Flutie should see time on Saturday is to be fodder while Daz and Frye look for a combination of linemen that works. BC desperately needs athleticism on offense.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:08 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:His Misfits have added further ignorance to their desire for Flutie - now not only is Smith not as good a thrower according to those dipshits, but it should be Flutie because Smith is too small and will get hurt.

I worry how long Smith will last running the Tyler Murphy offense, but that is no reason to not start him.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:08 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:ATL says there is no starter, they are both getting set packages.

The only reason Flutie should see time on Saturday is to be fodder while Daz and Frye look for a combination of linemen that works. BC desperately needs athleticism on offense.

The problem isn't athleticism. BC has plenty of guys who can run. Alston, Smith, Willis, Outlaw, etc. are plenty athletic.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:09 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:His Misfits have added further ignorance to their desire for Flutie - now not only is Smith not as good a thrower according to those dipshits, but it should be Flutie because Smith is too small and will get hurt.

I worry how long Smith will last running the Tyler Murphy offense, but that is no reason to not start him.

They're the same size and Smith's faster and the better thrower. Don't think likelihood of getting killed really weighs against Smith here.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:17 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

They're the same size and Smith's faster and the better thrower. Don't think likelihood of getting killed really weighs against Smith here.

This is true, but Flutie would presumably be in the pocket more than Smith and thus less at risk for injury.

True under normal circumstances. Not true with the current OL.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:20 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

This is true, but Flutie would presumably be in the pocket more than Smith and thus less at risk for injury.

True under normal circumstances. Not true with the current OL.

Not that it matters because our WRs cant get open no matter how much protection the QB has.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:32 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

The problem isn't athleticism. BC has plenty of guys who can run. Alston, Smith, Willis, Outlaw, etc. are plenty athletic.

OK, the problem isn't athleticism but they still have to pick a QB. All the tangential evidence we have says Smith is a playmaker, so I think he should play.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:59 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:ATL says there is no starter...

i miss terp4lyfe... there, i said it
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:02 am

This board is acting like BC will never score another point this season unless we make drastic changes under center.

FSU was the #9 team in the country, could very well finish with a top 10 defense, and the defense is absolutely stocked with 4 and 5 star recruits who will play on Sunday's. We will not see another defense like that until we get to Louisville and Clemson. For these next 3 games, BC's offense will be good enough to score.

We don't need MORE athleticism under center. We don't need MORE playmakers on the field. We need a game-manager who isn't going to make any mistakes. Someone who can hand the ball off to our talented backs running behind our talented if inexperienced and mistake prone OLine, both of whom will have a lot more success against the NIU's, Duke's and Wake's of the world. And we need someone who can hit an open receiver on play actions. That's it. We just need someone that can run the schemes, move the chains, and not turn the ball over. We don't need to reinvent the offense right now because a good defense like FSU's dominated us.

Prediction: 17 points on offense is enough to win these next 3 games.

So everyone calm down. If it's Smith, fine. If it's Flutie, fine. Either way, the QB is not and never was going to decide our fate this year.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:07 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:This board is acting like BC will never score another point this season unless we make drastic changes under center.

FSU was the #9 team in the country, could very well finish with a top 10 defense, and the defense is absolutely stocked with 4 and 5 star recruits who will play on Sunday's. We will not see another defense like that until we get to Louisville and Clemson. For these next 3 games, BC's offense will be good enough to score.

We don't need MORE athleticism under center. We don't need MORE playmakers on the field. We need a game-manager who isn't going to make any mistakes. Someone who can hand the ball off to our talented backs running behind our talented if inexperienced and mistake prone OLine, both of whom will have a lot more success against the NIU's, Duke's and Wake's of the world. And we need someone who can hit an open receiver on play actions. That's it. We just need someone that can run the schemes, move the chains, and not turn the ball over. We don't need to reinvent the offense right now because a good defense like FSU's dominated us.

So everyone calm down. If it's Smith, fine. If it's Flutie, fine. Either way, the QB is not and never was going to decide our fate this year.

Walrus, I think some of the smarter posters with concerns are considering the first half of the Maine game together with FSU, which is not unreasonable. Some other posters are just dumb, like eepstein, who should apologize again.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:07 am

By the way, did anyone else notice that NIU only gained 190 yards against Ohio State. Everyone talks about how scary NIU is after that game, but without those 5 stupid turnovers they get destroyed in that game. BC should start a QB that will have 0 turnovers. Our defense can hold NIU to under 200 yards as well and is fully capable of shutting them out so long as we don't give them short fields.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:10 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:This board is acting like BC will never score another point this season unless we make drastic changes under center.

Walrus, I think some of the smarter posters with concerns are considering the first half of the Maine game together with FSU, which is not unreasonable. Some other posters are just dumb, like eepstein, who should apologize again.

I get that. But I'm not even sure how much we should consider Maine by now. This OLine officially has 600% more experience since that first half. Before Duke they'll have 800% more experience. It's a learning curve. The OLine is still on track, exactly where we expected them to be, despite the fact that we lost to a top 10 team (as expected).
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:13 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I get that. But I'm not even sure how much we should consider Maine by now. This OLine officially has 600% more experience since that first half. Before Duke they'll have 800% more experience. It's a learning curve. The OLine is still on track, exactly where we expected them to be, despite the fact that we lost to a top 10 team (as expected).

But there is no positive to point showing any progress (OL on track) unless you count Howard.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:25 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

But there is no positive to point showing any progress (OL on track) unless you count Howard.

Well, yeah, small sample size. But still, if preseason we predicted the OLine performance this year it probably would've gone something like this:
- Maine: shaky
- Howard: better
- FSU: Reality Check #1 - much worse (hopefully good enough)
- NIU: better
- Duke: better
- Wake: better
- Louisville: Reality Check #2 (hopefully good enough)
- Clemson: Reality Check #3 (hopefully good enough)
- VT: Reality Check #4 (hopefully growing...and good enough)
- NCST: better, growing into something
- ND: Reality Check #5 (hopefully growing into something)
- Syracuse: good

Panic if we continue to look bad against NIU, Duke and Wake. Don't panic because FSU made us look bad.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:30 am

I don't know about Maine as shaky. Yeah in game experience these players are young but I expected a line of SR-SO-JR-SR-JR (NOSPACE POST) to be able to push around an FCS line. That didn't happen.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:31 am

walrus, this team does not need a game manager. there is no time to manage the game. this team needs someone to get to the edge before getting murderated.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:45 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:walrus, this team does not need a game manager. there is no time to manage the game. this team needs someone to get to the edge before getting murderated.

We have plenty of players who can get to the edge, against defenses like NIU, Duke, Wake, NCST and Syracuse. I just don't understand why there's panic when this team is performing exactly how we expected they would in preseason.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:46 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:I don't know about Maine as shaky. Yeah in game experience these players are young but I expected a line of SR-SO-JR-SR-JR (NOSPACE POST) to be able to push around an FCS line. That didn't happen.

To be fair, it wasn't that our OLine wasn't able to push around an FCS line going 1-on-1. We struggled in the first half to create big holes against 9 man boxes. Maine played us well. They knew we wouldn't throw and they made it hard on us to run. I wasn't as pessimistic as others after Maine.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium