Flutie or Smith?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Flutie or Smith?

Postby ILikeBC on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:05 pm

With the depressing likelihood that Darius broke his ankle, who do you think should start?

In the least whalepants way possible, I go Flutie. Cuz he can throw. And knows the plays.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Re: Flutie or Smith?

Postby tallsy on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:14 pm

I said this in the other thread. It's Smith unless you're down by 9+ in the 4th.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:17 pm

I think it's impossible to say until we know how long Wade is going to be out for. I think the severity of his injury makes a big difference here. If he's only out 1 game. Then I think you can get away with Smith only knowing a small portion of the playbook. If it's a season ending injury, then I think you have to turn to Flutie unless Smith picks up the playbook freakishly quickly.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby LawyersGunsnMoney on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:18 pm

Swigert
LawyersGunsnMoney
McGuinn Hall

Postby ckoub01 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:19 pm

Sign me up for Jeff Smith. We saw what Wade could do the first three quarters of the FSU game and Flutie is worse than Wade in every facet of the game. Push comes to shove, BC runs a triple option offense that can grind out 250 yards a game with Smith.
ckoub01
n00b

Postby tallsy on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:20 pm

Yeah, I'll amend that. If Wade's out for a long time and Smith's limited even in the spread option, then you have to go to Flutie.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:39 pm

Smith. We only have two or three guys who can make big plays and he's one of them. Even with a limited playbook there is more upside with him.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:44 pm

Smith. It isn't remotely close. Run the triple option if necessary.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:59 pm

Smith

Is not close
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby billyshelby on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:02 pm

Can Smith throw? I don't even know if Flutie can. Whoever can throw should get the job.
billyshelby
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:05 pm

Smith, not close. Run last year's offense and win 8 games.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:12 pm

Taking Smith out at the end cost them the minuscule chance they had.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:14 pm

They weren't going to win anyway, but Flutie is god awful. After the first drive, neither team had ANY chance to score on offense and everyone there knew it. It was going to take a defensive score or a broken play, and they got it on the fumble. I thought we had it on the play before on the USC play to Sherm but the pulling guard ran right by the only guy he had to block.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:22 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Smith, not close. Run last year's offense and win 8 games.

This.

Although frankly, with the current state of the OLine, I'm not sure it matters.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:26 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Smith, not close. Run last year's offense and win 8 games.

This.

People have been gaining many yards in the spread option behind bad lines for many years. Wade and Hilliman need a line. Play on the perimeter with Smith and Alston and Wade and Outlow and freeze the rush.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:26 pm

billyshelby {l Wrote}:Can Smith throw? I don't even know if Flutie can. Whoever can throw should get the job.

This is 100% wrong. Tom Brady couldn't make this clown car of WRs any better. Less of Alston as a WR would be nice, watching him alligator arm two throws was a pleasure. He's fine in trick plays but as a full time WR yuck.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This.

People have been gaining many yards in the spread option behind bad lines for many years. Wade and Hilliman need a line. Play on the perimeter with Smith and Alston and Wade and Outlow and freeze the rush.

Other teams are still going to load the box, I'm surprised they even cover guys like Dudeck anymore
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:35 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This.

Other teams are still going to load the box, I'm surprised they even cover guys like Dudeck anymore

They'll score enough to win 6-7 games. The D is going to be that good. FSU barely had 200 yards and scored 7 points. COVERAGE SACKS!
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This.

They'll score enough to win 6-7 games. The D is going to be that good. FSU barely had 200 yards and scored 7 points. COVERAGE SACKS!

Not beating anyone scoring 0 points. Except plenty of TOs and defensive scores starting a true freshman.

I feel Ike my 5 wins may have been optimistic, unless the line figures it out the rest of the players on the field are irrelevant.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:41 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This.

Not beating anyone scoring 0 points. Except plenty of TOs and defensive scores starting a true freshman.

I feel Ike my 5 wins may have been optimistic, unless the line figures it out the rest of the players on the field are irrelevant.

If they play FSU every week, you are right, they won't win scoring 0 points. Clemson is the only D left that comes close, and they aren't that good.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:50 pm

Let the Jeff Smith era begin.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:03 am

It's Jeff Smith time.

If you try to put a statue like Flutie back there behind that OL and without receivers who can even begin to think about beating man coverage, we'll get buried by every team with a pulse defensively.

Smith gives you more flexibility with the run/pass option plays, and his ability to extend plays with his feet behind that line will give receivers time to create separation.

I made this comparison before and it's even more apt now under the situation, but Smith reminds me a ton of Greg Ward at Houston, who was tossed into a similar situation last year and thrived because his speed and athleticism covered up a lot of his teams warts.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:19 am

Just run the option with Smith. That should be enough to beat NIU, Wake, Cuse and at least one of Duke, NCSU or VT to get us into a bowl.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby footer20 on Sat Sep 19, 2015 12:34 am

Reggie Bush 3.0 / Denard Robinson 2.0 sounds good to me.

P.S. I just made the Denard comparison a thing.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:06 am

In FBS competition BC's leading receiver is ...... Bobby Wolford, a 250lb. fullback who runs like Vince Wilfork. Smith, Flutie, Dennard Robinson ...... they are all screwed.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby StratEagle on Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:57 am

We could have easily beaten the number 9 team in the country had a few plays went our way. They got about every single break in the entire game. The team will be better with Jeff Smith. The sky isn't falling. Still an 7-8 win team.

This defense will be unreal next year and the year after.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby QuailMan on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:07 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:We could have easily beaten the number 9 team in the country had a few plays went our way. They got about every single break in the entire game. The team will be better with Jeff Smith. The sky isn't falling. Still an 7-8 win team.

We didn't score
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby StratEagle on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:18 am

QuailMan {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:We could have easily beaten the number 9 team in the country had a few plays went our way. They got about every single break in the entire game. The team will be better with Jeff Smith. The sky isn't falling. Still an 7-8 win team.

We didn't score

And we held an extremely talented team to 7 points and a lucky fumble return. The offense can only go up from here (cue the Crane joke). Smiths legs will provide an instant upgrade. My only worry is that kid looks frail so he may not last.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby QuailMan on Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:52 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
QuailMan {l Wrote}:

We didn't score

And we held an extremely talented team to 7 points and a lucky fumble return. The offense can only go up from here (cue the Crane joke). Smiths legs will provide an instant upgrade. My only worry is that kid looks frail so he may not last.

What plays did we miss that would've helped us easily win? The safety? We wouldn't have won scoring two points
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby StratEagle on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:02 am

The safety, the incredibly unlucky bounce on the muff which would have been a TD, the SC transfer stone hands play, the uncalled facemask on the Hilliman fumble...

FSU's offense had nothing, and honestly we left like 5 sacks out there tonight. That game was very winnable, you're nuts.
Last edited by StratEagle on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium