Flutie or Smith?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Flutie or Smith?

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:22 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I get a kick out of dumbasses that brag on the BC defense, but then say Smith can't throw as well as Flutie. Smith was the only effective QB against the BC defense - throwing. Granted Wade got the starters most of the time, but Smith was the guy lighting it up.

Serious question, did that happen? I mean did Smith light up the 1st team defense in the air in the scrimmages?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:33 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I get a kick out of dumbasses that brag on the BC defense, but then say Smith can't throw as well as Flutie. Smith was the only effective QB against the BC defense - throwing. Granted Wade got the starters most of the time, but Smith was the guy lighting it up.

Serious question, did that happen? I mean did Smith light up the 1st team defense in the air in the scrimmages?

I didn't say first team defense, I actually said "Granted Wade got the starters most of the time." But yes, by most accounts he lit it up and Flutie couldn't throw against the second team defense.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:37 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I didn't say first team defense, I actually said "Granted Wade got the starters most of the time." But yes, by most accounts he lit it up and Flutie couldn't throw against the second team defense.

But you did not witness any of this?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:42 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Sorry, not sure why I threw in first team. Whose accounts?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:45 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:And there's also a guy who said that Daz ran off the real QB of the future Christian Suntrup and is hiding it behind a medical excuse.

And people call this site the lunatic fringe?

Yes, while I maintain there is a lot of stupid on this board after Friday's loss, I have to say we are far and away the most reasoned board between the three.

plus, we are head and shoulders above the other sites in the homo-erotica category.

i truly think a lot of the stupidity that gets posted here is for agenda pushing or fishing expeditions. the other site have morons that actually believe flutie will be a better quarterback because he's "a better fit" with the program.

They're having a "which side is racist fight" on hockeyruption in their QB thread right now actually. I think claver started it (because he's racist)

Good to see nospace up on his soapbox. I admire consistency.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:51 am

Someone on hockeyruption tried to be funny by registering as "AGPennyPacker." The actual reference from Seinfeld is "H. E. Pennypacker" and it's pissing me off.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:06 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Every write up. I'm too lazy to satisfy your demands and go find the "Flutie struggled, Smith threw to Robinson alot" articles.

I've seen both throw in warm ups and games now. Flutie is lucky not to have a few picks.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Every write up. I'm too lazy to satisfy your demands and go find the "Flutie struggled, Smith threw to Robinson alot" articles.

I've seen both throw in warm ups and games now. Flutie is lucky not to have a few picks.

Would the fact that the staff replaced Smith with Flutie Friday night suggest to you that they think Flutie is a better passer?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:33 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Would the fact that the staff replaced Smith with Flutie Friday night suggest to you that they think Flutie is a better passer?

No.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

No.

So they put him in to please the Whalepants?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:49 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

No.

So they put him in to please the Whalepants?

Perhaps. They certainly did not put him in because they thought he was going to pass for 2 TDs late. He was 1-2 for 9 yards and a ball that should have been picked.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:21 pm

This debate is stupid. Who cares who starts? We can expect both Smith and Flutie to split snaps pretty equally until one of them actually distinguishes themselves on the field. Things may shake out this week against Northern Illinois or we may actually see snaps split all year long. We don't need to make this decision now and certainly not based on what message board posters are saying. The only thing this thread is doing is proving that BC fans can't think rationally about a Flutie, on either side of the debate.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:This debate is stupid. Who cares who starts? We can expect both Smith and Flutie to split snaps pretty equally until one of them actually distinguishes themselves on the field. Things may shake out this week against Northern Illinois or we may actually see snaps split all year long. We don't need to make this decision now and certainly not based on what message board posters are saying. The only thing this thread is doing is proving that BC fans can't think rationally about a Flutie, on either side of the debate.

no

just trying to save teddy a few keystrokes
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:41 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:This debate is stupid. Who cares who starts? We can expect both Smith and Flutie to split snaps pretty equally until one of them actually distinguishes themselves on the field. Things may shake out this week against Northern Illinois or we may actually see snaps split all year long. We don't need to make this decision now and certainly not based on what message board posters are saying. The only thing this thread is doing is proving that BC fans can't think rationally about a Flutie, on either side of the debate.

no

just trying to save teddy a few keystrokes

Thanks for the assist.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:41 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Someone on hockeyruption tried to be funny by registering as "AGPennyPacker." The actual reference from Seinfeld is "H. E. Pennypacker" and it's pissing me off.

holy moley that place is a retardathon.

the only breath of fresh air is that nospace hasn't changed and clearly never will. i wonder if his wife and her daughter left him yet
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 2:50 pm

Favat is going to lose his shit trying to reason with those morons.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:20 pm

if he hasn't lost his shit yet this most recent debate of "less filling" vs. "tastes great" isn't going to send him over the edge
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:22 pm

we live in a world where tubasteak's wingman is the voice of reason. shiiiiiiiiiit.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:30 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:we live in a world where tubasteak's wingman is the voice of reason. shiiiiiiiiiit.

i believe tubasteak's wingman also used to be one of chaz b0mo's wangmen
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:01 am

Listening to Daz's press conference yesterday I'm starting to think it's going to be Flutie.

Daz on Smith: He's dynamic, can make big plays.
Daz on Flutie: He knows the system, is comfortable in the system.

This is nothing new, it's the distinction that's been made all along. But here's the key, Daz isn't prioritizing playmaking. He wants a game manager that doesn't make mistakes. He's going to try to win this year with defense and field position. His ideal quarterback right now will give the ball to the backs, hit the open play action when it's there, and not do anything stupid to back the defense in a corner. That's Flutie right now, not Smith.

Oh, and re-watching the game, Flutie didn't look any worse than Wade. One stupid pass where he tried to squeeze a ball into a receiver while staring him down (what freshman hasn't made that mistake) and a questionable decision on a non-pitch. But otherwise on his drives, he hit a few open receivers, scrambled well when needed and didn't make any mistakes. Oh, and he knew the gameplan well enough to run something of a hurry-up, as opposed to not knowing a play and forcing a timeout.

I'm on the Flutie train.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:03 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
Oh, and re-watching the game, Flutie didn't look any worse than Wade. One stupid pass where he tried to squeeze a ball into a receiver while staring him down (what freshman hasn't made that mistake) and a questionable decision on a non-pitch. But otherwise on his drives, he hit a few open receivers, scrambled well when needed and didn't make any mistakes. Oh, and he knew the gameplan well enough to run something of a hurry-up, as opposed to not knowing a play and forcing a timeout.

I'm on the Flutie train.

he had what like 8 snaps?

anyone listen to daz's radio show last night?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:10 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

I'm on the Flutie train.

he had what like 8 snaps?

anyone listen to daz's radio show last night?

exactly - walrus craps on a few blatantly horrible plays that represent like 25% of the guy's game action. quinton porter didn't even suck 25% of the time. chris crane and cesspool didn't even suck 25% of the time.

but the key thing to take away from walrus is that flutie is "a good fit." point taken
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:28 am

Flutie is going to start and play a majority of the time in spite of the fact he can barely hold a football.

You all have fun with those 9 win predictions...

Why Robinson was moved to WR instead of Flutie I'll never understand.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:42 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Listening to Daz's press conference yesterday I'm starting to think it's going to be Flutie.

Daz on Smith: He's dynamic, can make big plays.
Daz on Flutie: He knows the system, is comfortable in the system.

This is nothing new, it's the distinction that's been made all along. But here's the key, Daz isn't prioritizing playmaking. He wants a game manager that doesn't make mistakes. He's going to try to win this year with defense and field position. His ideal quarterback right now will give the ball to the backs, hit the open play action when it's there, and not do anything stupid to back the defense in a corner. That's Flutie right now, not Smith.

I'm on the Flutie train.

From what I have seen, Flutie has just missed a couple of big plays for the other team through 2 games.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:04 am

'Flutie absolutely took command of the huddle – not in his performance but in how he looked like a leader out there. He communicated at the line of scrimmage, he communicated with his teammates, he showed the signs of becoming a leader out there which was not shown with Wade. This was obvious in the short time that he was out there.'

an actual comment, in 2015, based off 8 snaps

if his last name wasn't flutie, he wouldn't be here
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby JesuitIvy on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:06 am

None of this gives me the impression he feels much confidence in either Flutie or Smith
https://www.bostonherald.com/sports/col ... ete_for_qb
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:14 am

Well here's hoping Smith wins the job. Losing 8 games and listening to whalepants cream themselves is enough to give up the tickets.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:14 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:'Flutie absolutely took command of the huddle – not in his performance but in how he looked like a leader out there. He communicated at the line of scrimmage, he communicated with his teammates, he showed the signs of becoming a leader out there which was not shown with Wade. This was obvious in the short time that he was out there.'

Without joining Walrus's overstatement (dammit walrus you are making the silly over-reaction to Flutie semi-justified) or taking a position on Smith/Flutie, which I actually think it a question but almost entirely because I haven't seen either do anything of note yet, I would like to point out that the 8 snap thing has an identical effect in both directions.

i.e., you cannot discount Flutie as a legacy only scholarship after eight snaps.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:22 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:'Flutie absolutely took command of the huddle – not in his performance but in how he looked like a leader out there. He communicated at the line of scrimmage, he communicated with his teammates, he showed the signs of becoming a leader out there which was not shown with Wade. This was obvious in the short time that he was out there.'

Without joining Walrus's overstatement (dammit walrus you are making the silly over-reaction to Flutie semi-justified) or taking a position on Smith/Flutie, which I actually think it a question but almost entirely because I haven't seen either do anything of note yet, I would like to point out that the 8 snap thing has an identical effect in both directions.

i.e., you cannot discount Flutie as a legacy only scholarship after eight snaps.

It's easier to be an athlete and make plays than a QB and make plays. While Flutie is a good athlete, he doesn't have the dynamic ability of Smith and that is both obvious and coming from the Dazzler. Two inexperienced QBs with verdicts out on throwing ability (and I will concede your point and ignore the reports out of camp), go with the guy that can do more in a simpler system. That's Smith.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:38 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Without joining Walrus's overstatement (dammit walrus you are making the silly over-reaction to Flutie semi-justified) or taking a position on Smith/Flutie, which I actually think it a question but almost entirely because I haven't seen either do anything of note yet, I would like to point out that the 8 snap thing has an identical
effect in both directions.

My discounting is based off the fact that in the last decade none of the highest ranked Mass QBs played any meaningful minutes as QBs in D1 (in the years they even sent a QB to D1) and 2 of the 3 that went to BC happened to have the same last name. *edit: see below

Also the fact that no other FBS program gave him an offer.

2005: Zach Asack, Duke. < 50% completion 1:2 TD / INT in 7 starts
2006: Billy Flutie, BC. Transitioned to WR & holder extraordinaire
2007: none went d1
2008: none went d1
2009: Charlie Loeb, Cuse. 9 passing attempts in 4 years, FG holder for 4 years
2010: Scott McCummings, UConn. 6-12 in 4 years
2011: none went d1
2012: AJ Doyle, UMass. Now a TE
2013: Mackay Lowrie, committed to BC, left for URI
2014: Miles Wright, can’t find anything of him playing D1

*this is all according to 247
Bush, George H W