POLL: Why the Decline in Attendance

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

What do you think is most responsible for the decline in attendance over the last ten years?

Nerdification
8%
The Spaz Debacle
27%
Not Scheduling baby rapists
2%
Scheduling too Many Cupcakes
10%
Move to the ACC
1%
Terrible Tailgating
25%
DBS and the Money Grab
17%
The Great Recession and/or Obama
3%
Lack of Bathrooms and Sesame Pretzels
No votes
Expanded TV/Online Game Coverage
9%

Total votes : 115

Re: POLL: Why the Decline in Attendance

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:16 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so they rejected your request for a rainbow hot tub again this year, eh bme?

They keep saying there is insufficient water pressure on Shea. F'ing bullshit. I've seen the sprinklers.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I'm going to preface this by saying that I was always the type of person that would immediately dismiss anyone that complained about BC's move to the ACC, but after looking at the attendance numbers in detail over the last few days I'm really starting to think that the move from the Big East to the ACC is the biggest precipitant of the drop off.

Here are attendance numbers by year with the corresponding home schedule (OOC in parentheses):

Before:
1998 - 41,200 - Rutgers, Temple, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, (Navy, Notre Dame)
1999 - 41,347 - Pittsburgh, Miami, West Virginia, (Baylor, Northeastern)
2000 - 39,327 - Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, (Navy, Uconn)
2001 - 42,640 - West Virginia, Temple, Pittsburgh, Miami, (Stanford, Army, Notre Dame)
2002 - 41,106 - Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Rutgers, (UConn, Stanford, Central Michigan, Navy)
2003 - 42,604 - Miami, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, (Wake Forest, Ball State, Notre Dame)
2004 - 43,190 - Uconn, Rutgers, Syracuse (Penn State, UMass)

After:
2005 - 39,429 - FSU, Virginia, Wake Forest, NCST, (Army, Ball State)
2006 - 38,843 - Clemson, Virginia Tech, Duke, Maryland, (BYU, Maine, Buffalo)
2007 - 41,990 - Wake Forest, NCST, FSU, Miami, (Army, UMass, Bowling Green)
2008 - 41,037 - Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Maryland, (Central Florida, Rhode Island, Notre Dame)
2009 - 35,716 - Wake Forest, Florida State, NC State, North Carolina, (Northeastern, Kent State, Central Michigan)
2010 - 38,369 - Virginia Tech, Maryland, Clemson, Virginia, (Weber State, Kent State, Notre Dame)
2011 - 35,709 - Duke, Wake Forest, FSU, NC State, (Northwestern, UMass)
2012 - 37,020 - Miami, Clemson, Maryland, Virginia Tech, (Maine, Notre Dame)
2013 - 33,006 - Wake Forest, FSU, Virginia Tech, NC State, (Villanova, Army)
2014 - 34,270 - Pittsburgh, Clemson, Louisville, Syracuse, (USC, Maine, Colorado State)

You spent all that time analyzing the data, but missed the biggest factor. 2005 was the first year BC started scanning tickets... and, as a result, is the first year they started reporting actual attendance (i.e. tickets used). Before 2005, BC only reported tickets sold. Essentially, any comparison between pre- and post-2005 is apples vs. oranges.

Well, if true, that's a depressing revelation. That would change everything...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:03 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I'm going to preface this by saying that I was always the type of person that would immediately dismiss anyone that complained about BC's move to the ACC, but after looking at the attendance numbers in detail over the last few days I'm really starting to think that the move from the Big East to the ACC is the biggest precipitant of the drop off.

Here are attendance numbers by year with the corresponding home schedule (OOC in parentheses):

Before:
1998 - 41,200 - Rutgers, Temple, Virginia Tech, Syracuse, (Navy, Notre Dame)
1999 - 41,347 - Pittsburgh, Miami, West Virginia, (Baylor, Northeastern)
2000 - 39,327 - Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, (Navy, Uconn)
2001 - 42,640 - West Virginia, Temple, Pittsburgh, Miami, (Stanford, Army, Notre Dame)
2002 - 41,106 - Virginia Tech, Syracuse, Rutgers, (UConn, Stanford, Central Michigan, Navy)
2003 - 42,604 - Miami, Pittsburgh, West Virginia, (Wake Forest, Ball State, Notre Dame)
2004 - 43,190 - Uconn, Rutgers, Syracuse (Penn State, UMass)

After:
2005 - 39,429 - FSU, Virginia, Wake Forest, NCST, (Army, Ball State)
2006 - 38,843 - Clemson, Virginia Tech, Duke, Maryland, (BYU, Maine, Buffalo)
2007 - 41,990 - Wake Forest, NCST, FSU, Miami, (Army, UMass, Bowling Green)
2008 - 41,037 - Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech, Clemson, Maryland, (Central Florida, Rhode Island, Notre Dame)
2009 - 35,716 - Wake Forest, Florida State, NC State, North Carolina, (Northeastern, Kent State, Central Michigan)
2010 - 38,369 - Virginia Tech, Maryland, Clemson, Virginia, (Weber State, Kent State, Notre Dame)
2011 - 35,709 - Duke, Wake Forest, FSU, NC State, (Northwestern, UMass)
2012 - 37,020 - Miami, Clemson, Maryland, Virginia Tech, (Maine, Notre Dame)
2013 - 33,006 - Wake Forest, FSU, Virginia Tech, NC State, (Villanova, Army)
2014 - 34,270 - Pittsburgh, Clemson, Louisville, Syracuse, (USC, Maine, Colorado State)

You spent all that time analyzing the data, but missed the biggest factor. 2005 was the first year BC started scanning tickets... and, as a result, is the first year they started reporting actual attendance (i.e. tickets used). Before 2005, BC only reported tickets sold. Essentially, any comparison between pre- and post-2005 is apples vs. oranges.

Well, if true, that's a depressing revelation. That would change everything...

It is true (and has been discussed many, many times when Big East trolls would visit) and it is far from depressing. In the 2 Jags years, BC averaged 95% and 92% capacity. That's damn impressive. The fallout was immediate once Spaz was hired and we haven't recovered (though aforementioned other factors contributed).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:30 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:When was there an escalation in BCPD gameday crackdowns?

The first escalation was in '94 after the stadium expansion. I have been lead to believe there were practically no rules enforced prior to this time.

The second escalation was '06 when they first instituted the policy of shutting down tailgates 30 minutes before kickoff.

Shutting down tailgates was really badly received. This does also correspond to the timing of the dropoff.

It was poorly received because BC fans don't give a shit about the football team. Shouldn't have to shut down tailgates 30 minutes before kickoff, as everyone should be in the stadium to support the team.

That sounds great in theory, but because of the tailgaiting time restrictions it just isn't reality. It's a f'ing college football game, and since I live 300 miles from campus, have a job, three kids, and lots of shit going on every weekend in the Fall, when I go up it is probably my one chance a year to see my friends and their families, and catch a BC football game on the Heights. I'm there to reconnect with people and take in a game; if all I cared about was the game itself I'd watch it on TV or the computer and not be interrupted by, like, real people and shit. If I want to be able to hang out and tailgate a bit to do so into the 1st quarter, well this is f'ing America and I ought to be able to do so. The jackbooted thugs forcing me to close shop after 2 hours of tailgaiting (since it takes an hour just to get in and set up the tent, grill and food) after dropping almost a thousand bucks on the Shea parking pass, tickets, food, beer, etc., f'ing suck. I should be able to go in (or not go in) when I want.

And fuck all of you who give me shit about this. Go live in North Korea. I'm an American and should be able to do what I want. Fuck yeah.

No one is saying you shouldn't be allowed to be a terrible football fan, just that you are one.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:55 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

The first escalation was in '94 after the stadium expansion. I have been lead to believe there were practically no rules enforced prior to this time.

The second escalation was '06 when they first instituted the policy of shutting down tailgates 30 minutes before kickoff.

Shutting down tailgates was really badly received. This does also correspond to the timing of the dropoff.

It was poorly received because BC fans don't give a shit about the football team. Shouldn't have to shut down tailgates 30 minutes before kickoff, as everyone should be in the stadium to support the team.

That sounds great in theory, but because of the tailgaiting time restrictions it just isn't reality. It's a f'ing college football game, and since I live 300 miles from campus, have a job, three kids, and lots of shit going on every weekend in the Fall, when I go up it is probably my one chance a year to see my friends and their families, and catch a BC football game on the Heights. I'm there to reconnect with people and take in a game; if all I cared about was the game itself I'd watch it on TV or the computer and not be interrupted by, like, real people and shit. If I want to be able to hang out and tailgate a bit to do so into the 1st quarter, well this is f'ing America and I ought to be able to do so. The jackbooted thugs forcing me to close shop after 2 hours of tailgaiting (since it takes an hour just to get in and set up the tent, grill and food) after dropping almost a thousand bucks on the Shea parking pass, tickets, food, beer, etc., f'ing suck. I should be able to go in (or not go in) when I want.

And fuck all of you who give me shit about this. Go live in North Korea. I'm an American and should be able to do what I want. Fuck yeah.

No one is saying you shouldn't be allowed to be a terrible football fan, just that you are one.

we can't all be 40 year old virgins (thank tedwardita for this number not being higher), watching space operas and living the dream.

:chewbanka
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:59 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

we can't all be 40 year old virgins (thank tedwardita for this number not being higher), watching space operas and living the dream.

Not a real good effort. Take your time, step out of the box and look for your pitch.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Not a real good effort. Take your time, step out of the box and look for your pitch.

i laughed :shrug
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:03 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

i laughed :shrug

You're also a member of the US Air executive lounge, so there's that.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You're also a member of the US Air executive lounge, so there's that.

Platinum level?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:You're also a member of the US Air executive lounge, so there's that.

Platinum level?

whichever one has the fruity run drinks with the umbrellas, so no, probably not.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:18 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Platinum level?

whichever one has the fruity run drinks with the umbrellas, so no, probably not.

yes, i am delta platinum and a member of their executive lounge. i do not fly on us air because they stink and are jerks... almost as bad as united

and i do not drink fruity run [sic] drinks while there. they recently upgraded their well vodka to stoli and i have enjoyed that transition tremendously
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:21 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:they recently upgraded their well vodka to stoli and i have enjoyed that transition tremendously

I thought you said you stopped drinking when you fly because you were worried all the free booze would make you an alcoholic. Or was that someone else here?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:24 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:they recently upgraded their well vodka to stoli and i have enjoyed that transition tremendously

I thought you said you stopped drinking when you fly because you were worried all the free booze would make you an alcoholic. Or was that someone else here?

that must have been someone else here or a very shortlived plan for me. or maybe i was inspired by 81 and was pulling a prank.

i most assuredly enjoy the complementary cocktails offered to me in the air. likely as often as you enjoy the complementary front-tails of your latest ladyboyfriend
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:25 pm

I figured he would at least drink Ketel One while correcting my typos.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

nah - i'm still an accountant at heart so free will always beat netherlands
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

nah - i'm still an accountant at heart so free will always beat netherlands

Belvedere beats free.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:43 pm

that must have been someone else here or a very shortlived plan for me. or maybe i was inspired by 81 and was pulling a prank.

i most assuredly enjoy the complementary cocktails offered to me in the air. likely as often as you enjoy the complementary front-tails of your latest ladyboyfriend

I can assure you there is nothing complimentary about the front tails enjoyed by Foot.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Sep 18, 2015 2:20 pm

I do not enjoy vodka. Give me a non-rum dark liquor or a good beer.

Unfortunately I'm at a wedding for a Gallo employee so that probably won't be an option to pair with the game (tm Pedro pending result of the trials with Hockeyruption). The wine will be good at least.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:07 pm

dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:08 pm

Also, the search function doesn't seem to be working. I don't know if anybody else noticed...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:42 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Image

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagletx on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:27 am

I just stumbled across this poll again...why isn't "indifference" one of the options? Seems to be the heart of the matter.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:16 pm

I voted for nerdification, terrible tailgating, and Obama.

In seriousness, the actual reasons are HDTV, terrible tailgating, and The Spazification of the football program. I don't include the nerds because with a 44K seat stadium you need more than just current students and alums to attend if you want to fill the place especially with our alumni spread across all 50 states and other countries.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:18 pm

i voted spaz, tv coverage and an overabundance of eo coaching staffs
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:49 am

TVs. Spaz. The fanbase (After all, half the reasons here don't apply to bowl attendance which is also terrible).

But I agree that the increased dominance of the NFL and success of the Patriots in what is already a pro town hurts. BC gets even less "earned media" despite many more outlets.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:54 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:It's because you touch yourself at night

I just used this joke on an email chain with some friends.

I use this joke alot.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:35 pm

While we're playing this game, I voted Spaz, TV and, yes, just to add to the disdain for me around here, I'm the lone vote for "Leaving the Big East."

It's not that I miss playing Rutgers, or miss "the good old days," or think that BC is "all wrong for the ACC" or any of that garbage. I just think that playing at least 2 North Carolina teams each year is really, really boring. It's that home games against Wake or NCST are a negative, more so than home games against the old Big East opponents were a positive.

Now that Duke and UNC are officially competitive, NCST is always at least somewhat respectable, and only Wake is the disgrace I think it's officially time to redo the divisions to respect traditions.

Coastal Division:
- FSU
- GT
- Clemson
- Wake
- NCST
- Duke
- UNC

East Division:
- Miami
- VT
- UVa
- Louisville
- Pitt
- Syracuse
- BC

Couldn't do this back in '05 because all of Carolina was pathetic and it would've left the divisions way to competitively uneven. But the time has come. And BC playing that annual home slate of division games may not be "exciting," but at least they're not as vomit-inducing as Wake or NCST.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:44 pm

carolina and virginia need to be in the same division or iwnh

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South%27s_Oldest_Rivalry
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:53 pm

I would rather talk about filling in the corners than ACC division realignment.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:42 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I would rather talk about filling in the corners than ACC division realignment.

this
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium