2016 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016 Recruiting Thread

Postby dtwalrus on Wed May 20, 2015 7:42 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It's really nice to be worried about teams from the SEC poaching BC recruits for the first time since ... pretty much ever.

Exactly. I'm struck by the fact that this is shaping up to be exactly the type of class that we were all expecting/hoping for: small and higher rated.

Its just that the process of getting to signing day when you're going for a small and highly rated class is much more stressful than we're used to.

Progress. :screamyeagle :banana :screamyeagle :banana :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed May 20, 2015 7:52 am

I look forward to Quailman's thoughts.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 20, 2015 8:05 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I look forward to Quailman's thoughts.

This is a b level post. Good special teams contributor and solid depth for the board but not an acc starter.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed May 20, 2015 4:26 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Lucas Niang (OL from New Cannaan, CT) offered by Auburn today

Mississippi State offer today for Niang
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed May 20, 2015 4:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:It's really nice to be worried about teams from the SEC poaching BC recruits for the first time since ... pretty much ever.

We shouldnt be recruiting them then. We are reaching too much for the stars. Remember the story of Icarus. blah.blah.blah

-Soon to be said by a Merryman after a recruit flips
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eagleinmaine on Fri May 22, 2015 8:10 pm

Anthony Brown and Tom Kowalkoski committed today!
eagleinmaine
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 22, 2015 8:54 pm

jesus does brown have an arm, effortless

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/3018934/hig ... 2359378/v2
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Fri May 22, 2015 10:21 pm

Great pickup.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Fri May 22, 2015 11:00 pm

Anthony Brown is an excellent commit. Don't know too much about Kowalkowski.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sat May 23, 2015 2:27 am

Nice highlight film. (But aren't they all)? Coupla concerns: he appears to be a very average runner; does not have breakaway speed and often makes a move that prevents him from gaining more yardage downfield. Also, virtually all of his throws over 5 yards are down the middle of the field. The film does not indicate any ability to throw the out pattern to either side, which will be a necessity at the next level.

Seems like a nice get, but certainly needs development.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat May 23, 2015 7:48 am

on the OL commit, I'm going to trust Daz knows a hell of a lot more about the position than those who evaluate hip fluidity of 16 year olds for a living until there's a reason I shouldn't
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Thornton Melon on Sat May 23, 2015 8:53 am

Bunratty {l Wrote}:Nice highlight film. (But aren't they all)? Coupla concerns: he appears to be a very average runner; does not have breakaway speed and often makes a move that prevents him from gaining more yardage downfield. Also, virtually all of his throws over 5 yards are down the middle of the field. The film does not indicate any ability to throw the out pattern to either side, which will be a necessity at the next level.

Agreed on his ability to make the out throw. That said, I disagree heavily on being an average runner. If you compare him to Tyler Murphy, yes. But with Tyler Murphy you get Lamar Letrel's throwing ability. Compared to former BC QB's - a better runner than Rettig, Crane, Ryan, Porter, St Pierre, Hasselbecks, PPete, Mutryn, Hartsell, Foley, etc...(I am sure I missed a few). Tough to tell about Dom Davis, probably close. In fact his running style looks similar to Davis', but he seems much more comfortable in the passing game.

If Wade isn't what we hope he is, this kid could play day 1 from what I see. I hope that isn't remotely necessary.
Thornton Melon
Carney Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sat May 23, 2015 9:57 am

Agree completely that Brown is a superior runner than all of the former BC QB's you mentioned. I was comparing him more to what I have seen from the recent recruits like Flutie, Robinson, and Smith. I think his running ability is as good as, maybe better than, Wade.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat May 23, 2015 10:54 am

Just did some digging for the other commit. Buddy of mine says that Kowalkoski's school is one of the premier powerhouses in Michigan. So the kid comes from a good football school.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Bunratty on Sat May 23, 2015 11:56 am

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Just did some digging for the other commit. Buddy of mine says that Kowalkoski's school is one of the premier powerhouses in Michigan. So the kid comes from a good football school.

Hopefully Kowalkoski can play. Also good to make inroads and have a presence at Detroit Central Catholic.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Sat May 23, 2015 12:46 pm

I like the OL recruit. Verballed early to Western Michigan. 6'5/285. Was offered early in the month. Recently started playing FB 2 or 3 years ago. Was exclusively hockey and lax player (which means great athleticism for a kid his size). With the flip to BC, I guarantee he has a B10 offer in weeks.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat May 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:Nice highlight film. (But aren't they all)? Coupla concerns: he appears to be a very average runner; does not have breakaway speed and often makes a move that prevents him from gaining more yardage downfield. Also, virtually all of his throws over 5 yards are down the middle of the field. The film does not indicate any ability to throw the out pattern to either side, which will be a necessity at the next level.

Agreed on his ability to make the out throw. That said, I disagree heavily on being an average runner. If you compare him to Tyler Murphy, yes. But with Tyler Murphy you get Lamar Letrel's throwing ability. Compared to former BC QB's - a better runner than Rettig, Crane, Ryan, Porter, St Pierre, Hasselbecks, PPete, Mutryn, Hartsell, Foley, etc...(I am sure I missed a few). Tough to tell about Dom Davis, probably close. In fact his running style looks similar to Davis', but he seems much more comfortable in the passing game.

If Wade isn't what we hope he is, this kid could play day 1 from what I see. I hope that isn't remotely necessary.

Brown may be this worst runner of our recent QB commits (he's decidedly inferior to both from last years class). But, that is probably more by design. Fitch is going to throw the ball. So, for better or worse, Tyler Murphy's O won't be replicated unless there is a significant problem with QB development. I will not judge the lack of an out pattern in his film. Quick outs simply might not be part of their offense (after all, it is more of a staple of the West Coast offense than the spread). Usually, concerns about throwing an out has mostly to do with arm strength (of which I think his film displays plenty).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat May 23, 2015 1:54 pm

Thornton Melon {l Wrote}:

Crane was a much better runner than Davis (best running QB at BC between Flutie and Murphy) but otherwise I agree with this.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby flakes on Sat May 23, 2015 2:44 pm

The most impressive thing about his tape is his maneuvering in the pocket and keeping his eyes downfield. Seems like a great pickup
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Sat May 23, 2015 5:04 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Just did some digging for the other commit. Buddy of mine says that Kowalkoski's school is one of the premier powerhouses in Michigan. So the kid comes from a good football school.

Hopefully Kowalkoski can play. Also good to make inroads and have a presence at Detroit Central Catholic.

My buddy in MI says this also:

"he's not bad. He's a big kid, probably a little big to play guard if he's actually 6'5. Most have him a 3star"

"You're stuck with him at a tackle unless he slims down and is amazing or something"

"surprised by this because I thought he was going to one of the directional schools. Your boy that good at recruiting? Guess you need those big boys for you guys since you're run heavy"
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat May 23, 2015 8:09 pm

BC pulls guards all the time so kids like this and that Phillips kid no one had ever heard of are going to be in BCs wheelhouse. You need athletic linemen in this system, the big mauler type isn't what we are looking for.

Getting your #1 QB target is always a good thing.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat May 23, 2015 8:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I like the OL recruit. Verballed early to Western Michigan. 6'5/285. Was offered early in the month. Recently started playing FB 2 or 3 years ago. Was exclusively hockey and lax player (which means great athleticism for a kid his size). With the flip to BC, I guarantee he has a B10 offer in weeks.

Western Michigan has made a huge investment in football and their recruiting is reflecting that. Some school like Minnesota will offer him after the fact. He also had a Cincinnati offer
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglesfan06 on Sun May 24, 2015 9:28 am

I like it. Athletic linemen are always fun to have.

Not to mention, if there is one position where offers/stars/etc don't matter it is OLine.
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon May 25, 2015 12:33 am

Spoke with the NYPost's Brian Lewis and he mentioned what he thought about Anthony Brown. Good runner, decent thrower. Needs a couple of yrs in the system, get bigger. He thought that in a traditional dropback system, he may not be as great, but with what Daz is running, Brown should do fine.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby Bunratty on Mon May 25, 2015 10:42 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:BC pulls guards all the time so kids like this and that Phillips kid no one had ever heard of are going to be in BCs wheelhouse. You need athletic linemen in this system, the big mauler type isn't what we are looking for.

I know he played lacrosse and basketball; however, ESPN has him at a 5.39 40 time. TK will need to improve on that before he starts pulling anywhere.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Mon May 25, 2015 11:20 am

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:BC pulls guards all the time so kids like this and that Phillips kid no one had ever heard of are going to be in BCs wheelhouse. You need athletic linemen in this system, the big mauler type isn't what we are looking for.

I know he played lacrosse and basketball; however, ESPN has him at a 5.39 40 time. TK will need to improve on that before he starts pulling anywhere.

How accurate do you think that time is?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Bunratty on Mon May 25, 2015 11:30 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

Who knows? But listed times are almost always faster than actual times.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon May 25, 2015 6:33 pm

Wonder if we would take a 3rd OL in this class? Would still like to land Niang.
DomingoOrtiz
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon May 25, 2015 7:44 pm

Bunratty {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Bunratty {l Wrote}:

Who knows? But listed times are almost always faster than actual times.

BC and Daz have had success developing OLine. This kid isn't going to start as a true freshman.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Mon May 25, 2015 7:48 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Wonder if we would take a 3rd OL in this class? Would still like to land Niang.

If they do I'd assume it's a top guy like Niang. Another name to watch that isn't mentioned much but BC is very much in the race for actually in his top 2 is 4 star CA OL Michael Alves.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium