2016 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016 Recruiting Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:55 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Bunch of hypocrits. When a kid picks a factory we ask where the parents were in the decision-making process and then joke about Wall Street prospects. However, when a kid prioritizes academics, we talk about how much better we are at football. Quansah has Stanford, Duke and Vandy ahead of BC. Any of us would have Aaron Hernandezed our best friend to have that a Top 4 when deciding where to attend college.

Unless you believe Duke is in some other academic realm than BC, you shouldn't lose a kid from CT to Duke or Vandy
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:18 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Bunch of hypocrits. When a kid picks a factory we ask where the parents were in the decision-making process and then joke about Wall Street prospects. However, when a kid prioritizes academics, we talk about how much better we are at football. Quansah has Stanford, Duke and Vandy ahead of BC. Any of us would have Aaron Hernandezed our best friend to have that a Top 4 when deciding where to attend college.

Unless you believe Duke is in some other academic realm than BC, you shouldn't lose a kid from CT to Duke or Vandy

i believe dook is in some other academic realm than bc. most of the world agrees with me
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:40 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

i believe dook is in some other academic realm than bc. most of the world agrees with me

It could be. I'd consider Duke, Vandy and BC in the same realm albeit BC on the lower end
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:50 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

as a kid from CT who applied to Duke and Vandy, I would have gone to either had I gotten in before bc (that said, I was waitlisted at Vandy and said eff it because I was already into BC and tired of the process // happy w bc. Had both admitted me at the same time i wouldve picked Vandy)
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:00 pm

Anthony Brown (QB from St. John Vianney in Holmdel, NJ) has a final 5 of BC, Wake, Cuse, Northwestern and Temple.

Wake recently picked up a QB (Jamie Newman from NC who I believe had BC offer) so have to think that would take them out of play for Brown.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:13 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

as a kid from CT who applied to Duke and Vandy, I would have gone to either had I gotten in before bc (that said, I was waitlisted at Vandy and said eff it because I was already into BC and tired of the process // happy w bc. Had both admitted me at the same time i wouldve picked Vandy)

This is why I hate over-reacting to individual cases: because you never really know the full story.
- Some kids want to go AWAY to college.
- Some northeastern kids want to go somewhere WARM.
- Some local kids, especially Connecticut kids, might grow up rooting AGAINST BC.

Bottom line, overall Daz is killing it locally, regardless of a few individual cases.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby NJM89 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 12:26 pm

Anyone have an update on how Noah Davis visit went? Also made QB Anthony Brown's top 5. We seem to be the favorite as of right now and is good friends with Hilliman.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:17 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This is why I hate over-reacting to individual cases: because you never really know the full story.
- Some local kids, especially Connecticut kids, might grow up rooting AGAINST BC.

Bottom line, overall Daz is killing it locally, regardless of a few individual cases.

Agreed.

And I had nothing against BC. I liked it when I looked at it. I just was interested in attending the best academic school I could at the time of those in which I applied to. I didn't care about how close or far it was from home.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:32 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This is right. It's case by case, nobody knows the undercurrents involved with each kid. Duke has done an excellent job following up their recent success by recruiting very well. Something BC should have been able to do post 2007/2008 had GDF not decided to blow the whole thing up. I don't think Duke's success is sustainable post Cutcliffe but they have done very well. Vandy is a great comp, they have fallen big-time since Franklin left.

You can't expect to keep everyone at home, it's unrealistic. I think the most frustrating part is that there were a number of guys who wanted to stay home but smartly left because of the Spaz debacle, most notably Lynch and Hurst. If a highly ranked local wants to leave, it is what it is, but when they want to stay home and leave because of BC being stupid (and in my opinion they made the right call) that's when it becomes most frustrating.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:32 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

It could be. I'd consider Duke, Vandy and BC in the same realm albeit BC on the lower end

Duke is. It's one step below the Ivies and Stanford. BC and Vandy are the next level down and roughly on par with one another, along with Northwestern, ND, and as long as you aren't a football or basketball player, the top state schools like UNC, UVa, and Michigan.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:01 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Duke is. It's one step below the Ivies and Stanford. BC and Vandy are the next level down and roughly on par with one another, along with Northwestern, ND, and as long as you aren't a football or basketball player, the top state schools like UNC, UVa, and Michigan.

This. I'd even put Northwestern in the tier above BC academically. This isn't taking anything away from BC, and I think it is correct to pair BC with Vandy, ND, Michigan, UVA, and UNC. I had plenty of classmates who chose BC over Duke but I think they'd all still acknowledge Duke is better academically.

As a comparison, I chose BC over Wake and Michigan. I considered BC on about the same level as those two academically, but I liked the BC environment so much better. And distance, location, and weather were arguably not in BC's favor being from AZ.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:28 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This. I'd even put Northwestern in the tier above BC academically. This isn't taking anything away from BC, and I think it is correct to pair BC with Vandy, ND, Michigan, UVA, and UNC. I had plenty of classmates who chose BC over Duke but I think they'd all still acknowledge Duke is better academically.

As a comparison, I chose BC over Wake and Michigan. I considered BC on about the same level as those two academically, but I liked the BC environment so much better. And distance, location, and weather were arguably not in BC's favor being from AZ.

I don't know that I'd put Northwestern above us. For the rankings whores, it's nice to remember that BC always loses points due to the garbage stuff, like "tolerance." Academics are certainly comparable with Duke and Northwestern, just lose a bit because the school could be more diverse, more open to LGBT issues, and generally more open to sex. The USNWR rankings consistently dock us for that stuff.

Full disclosure: heterosexual, white, Catholic male here. So yeah, maybe that's part of why I didn't see the diversity aspect as an issue...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:14 pm

Quansah probably wouldn't be choosing Duke over BC for academic reasons. Duke's reputation is stronger, but at the end of the day the top recruits of NE don't choose BC because they grow up thinking it's small time athletics. They know first hand that no one cares.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:52 pm

I care -

So we got that going for us - which is nice
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:45 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Quansah probably wouldn't be choosing Duke over BC for academic reasons. Duke's reputation is stronger, but at the end of the day the top recruits of NE don't choose BC because they grow up thinking it's small time athletics. They know first hand that no one cares.

This is the dumbest thing ever posted since the comparative program is Duke Football.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:40 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:Quansah probably wouldn't be choosing Duke over BC for academic reasons. Duke's reputation is stronger, but at the end of the day the top recruits of NE don't choose BC because they grow up thinking it's small time athletics. They know first hand that no one cares.

This is the dumbest thing ever posted since the comparative program is Duke Football.

Fair point I guess, but I was more referring to NE recruits as a whole. Duke isn't Ohio St., but at least they're investing in athletics. You can show that to kids and make a difference.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:13 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Fair point I guess, but I was more referring to NE recruits as a whole. Duke isn't Ohio St., but at least they're investing in athletics. You can show that to kids and make a difference.

If a kid cares AT ALL about how much a school is currently investing into the program, he isn't remotely interested in BC or Duke. Further, Duke's investment just brings them out of the dark ages and brings to be more on equal footing as our crappy facilities. You are essentially suggesting that BC shouldn't have renovated Alumni in the 90s and instead dealt with the track around the field until now... so we could show recruits that we are currently investing in football.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:47 pm

That's a pretty ridiculous twisting of my argument. I'm suggesting that the local opinion of BC sports is generally negative. That makes kids who otherwise should be very interested in BC look elsewhere because they grew up with a certain perception of the program. Once again, Duke is not the best example of this overall point, but their recruiting is hot right now and the feeling of the program to recruits is changing. Personally, I still think they're gonna suck in the future, but I could see why the recruits could hear that pitch and like it.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:27 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:That's a pretty ridiculous twisting of my argument. I'm suggesting that the local opinion of BC sports is generally negative. That makes kids who otherwise should be very interested in BC look elsewhere because they grew up with a certain perception of the program. Once again, Duke is not the best example of this overall point, but their recruiting is hot right now and the feeling of the program to recruits is changing. Personally, I still think they're gonna suck in the future, but I could see why the recruits could hear that pitch and like it.

I'd argue that you have no evidence of any of this. In fact, in the last 2 recruiting classes, BC has done incredibly well locally and has had unprecedented success in Connecticut.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:29 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:That's a pretty ridiculous twisting of my argument. I'm suggesting that the local opinion of BC sports is generally negative. That makes kids who otherwise should be very interested in BC look elsewhere because they grew up with a certain perception of the program. Once again, Duke is not the best example of this overall point, but their recruiting is hot right now and the feeling of the program to recruits is changing. Personally, I still think they're gonna suck in the future, but I could see why the recruits could hear that pitch and like it.

okay - so agenda twisting aside... what did you mean by "investment" in the program by your below statement? if you could ignore the strawman of the local opinion in your answer, that would be great

runner up for the dumbest poster of 2015 {l Wrote}:Duke isn't Ohio St., but at least they're investing in athletics. You can show that to kids and make a difference.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:15 pm

Ok, Duke invests more in recruiting for mens athletics than any other ACC school. Sure, most of that is probably for basketball, but you can see how they have committed resources to football with just a small taste of success.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2335595-which-college-football-teams-spend-the-most-and-least-on-recruiting

They have a couple good seasons in football and then proceed to make major upgrades to their stadium. That shows commitment to athletics. BC makes the ACC championship 2 years in a row and then fires it's coach for going on a job interview. That doesn't.

To your point HJS, we had some success in 2014, but we missed on the top 3 prospects in New England last year, and it seems this year we will not be landing the top couple prospects from New England either.

If there is one person on this site who is from the Boston area who truly believes the local perception (no I will not ignore this) of BC is not negative, I will concede.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:30 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:...major upgrades to their stadium...

and these major upgrades to their stadium will still leave it less in capacity, amenities and overall "football feel" than alumni.

have you even been to a dook football game? have you ever seen what they are starting with? moj's analogy of the upgrades to alumni in 1994/1995 are not far off
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:33 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Ok, Duke invests more in recruiting for mens athletics than any other ACC school. Sure, most of that is probably for basketball, but you can see how they have committed resources to football with just a small taste of success.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2335595-which-college-football-teams-spend-the-most-and-least-on-recruiting

They have a couple good seasons in football and then proceed to make major upgrades to their stadium. That shows commitment to athletics. BC makes the ACC championship 2 years in a row and then fires it's coach for going on a job interview. That doesn't.

To your point HJS, we had some success in 2014, but we missed on the top 3 prospects in New England last year, and it seems this year we will not be landing the top couple prospects from New England either.

If there is one person on this site who is from the Boston area who truly believes the local perception (no I will not ignore this) of BC is not negative, I will concede.

BC is cheap and has the reputation of such. The most recent investment they've made in facilities (football stadium and basketball offices) actually look very nice.

You'd be there on facilities if they'd just build the stupid practice facility, baseball field and softball field. I'm totally fine with disbanding baseball and softball completely but that's a different debate.

The local perception of BC is awful.

Conte could also use a facelift with new scoreboards, seats instead of bleachers, etc. Not high on my personal priority list but it's pretty antiquated.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:34 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:...major upgrades to their stadium...

and these major upgrades to their stadium will still leave it less in capacity, amenities and overall "football feel" than alumni.

have you even been to a dook football game? have you ever seen what they are starting with? moj's analogy of the upgrades to alumni in 1994/1995 are not far off

No, I have been to Duke, but not for a football game. Maybe the stadium will suck when it's done, but I mean obviously recruits are liking what they are seeing....

https://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/football/recruiting/commitments/
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:36 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Ok, Duke invests more in recruiting for mens athletics than any other ACC school. Sure, most of that is probably for basketball, but you can see how they have committed resources to football with just a small taste of success.

The idea that the local opinion of BC is negative has become a false trope that is pushed by that worthless waste of air, Michael Felger. The opinion of BC in this town is largely either (a) indifferent or (b) positive (as half the people in this town with degrees went there in one form or another - especially in law, finance and politics). Sully from Reveya in the cah notwithstanding.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:34 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

So does that make us a C list offer or a B list offer? I'm confused.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:57 pm

BC needs to build a basketball arena. Conte is not worth putting money into because it does not solve the space crunch. In addition the university needs a first class indoor arena for many events. Conte will never be a first class building regardless of how much money you put into. There is nothing like new. Moving both bball programs and the AD offices out of Conte will create a lot of space for the football stadium and solve the need for a practice rink. If they really are going to put 100 to 150 million from the Light the World campaign into athletic facilities, a basketball arena is the best investment. The money has already been raised for the baseball/softball complex. The indoor football building should just be part of the new student rec building. Alumni Stadium needs luxury upgrades, club seats, more luxury boxes, upgraded concession areas with seating, beer and wine sales. Bring a lot of the tailgating inside the stadium. It's a cool stadium because the seats are right on top of the field. I have always said to fill in the corners with club seats, that is one approach, but you could also copy Fenway and put in a Budweiser section in one corner. They just need to make use of all the wasted space in the corners by building something different than bench seats. BC is not that far behind in facilities, but it is enough to impact recruiting.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:50 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:BC needs to build a basketball arena. Conte is not worth putting money into because it does not solve the space crunch. In addition the university needs a first class indoor arena for many events. Conte will never be a first class building regardless of how much money you put into. There is nothing like new. Moving both bball programs and the AD offices out of Conte will create a lot of space for the football stadium and solve the need for a practice rink. If they really are going to put 100 to 150 million from the Light the World campaign into athletic facilities, a basketball arena is the best investment. The money has already been raised for the baseball/softball complex. The indoor football building should just be part of the new student rec building. Alumni Stadium needs luxury upgrades, club seats, more luxury boxes, upgraded concession areas with seating, beer and wine sales. Bring a lot of the tailgating inside the stadium. It's a cool stadium because the seats are right on top of the field. I have always said to fill in the corners with club seats, that is one approach, but you could also copy Fenway and put in a Budweiser section in one corner. They just need to make use of all the wasted space in the corners by building something different than bench seats. BC is not that far behind in facilities, but it is enough to impact recruiting.

these are all good ideas well warranted by the attendance for all those programs.

you know what would make more sense? build it on the moon :dildodog
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:35 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:BC needs to build a basketball arena. Conte is not worth putting money into because it does not solve the space crunch. In addition the university needs a first class indoor arena for many events. Conte will never be a first class building regardless of how much money you put into. There is nothing like new. Moving both bball programs and the AD offices out of Conte will create a lot of space for the football stadium and solve the need for a practice rink. If they really are going to put 100 to 150 million from the Light the World campaign into athletic facilities, a basketball arena is the best investment. The money has already been raised for the baseball/softball complex. The indoor football building should just be part of the new student rec building. Alumni Stadium needs luxury upgrades, club seats, more luxury boxes, upgraded concession areas with seating, beer and wine sales. Bring a lot of the tailgating inside the stadium. It's a cool stadium because the seats are right on top of the field. I have always said to fill in the corners with club seats, that is one approach, but you could also copy Fenway and put in a Budweiser section in one corner. They just need to make use of all the wasted space in the corners by building something different than bench seats. BC is not that far behind in facilities, but it is enough to impact recruiting.

i still dont understand why we havent blown up alumni & conte, built a new basketball arena there and an indoor practice facility for hockey and football, then fill in the reservoir and put a new alumni with 90k+ seats on that land. seems like an easy solution to the problem in my opinion
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:11 am

these are all good ideas well warranted by the attendance for all those programs.

you know what would make more sense? build it on the moon :dildodog

We need a lacrosse team and lacrosse stadium for the 50 or so fans that would show up to the games. Mars may be a nice place to locate the team.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium