Red Bandanas

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Red Bandanas

Postby DuxEagle26 on Sun Sep 06, 2015 10:55 pm

Will the red bandana game be played this weekend for 9/11? Or will we shift it to the FSU game for more excitement? It was stated that it will be a yearly occurrence, yeah?
Where are my pants?

DuxEagle26
Carney Hall

Re: Red Bandanas

Postby BCdee on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:08 am

I was wondering the same thing.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 10, 2015 10:32 am

I'm expecting them to announce that the FSU game will be the Red Bandana Game on the jumbletron this Saturday.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCdee on Fri Sep 11, 2015 6:44 pm

I'm guessing the Red Bandana game is FSU since these are for sale...

http://bceagles.cbscollegestore.com/store_contents.cfm?store_id=396&dept_id=19457&product_id=265436

BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:18 pm

BCdee {l Wrote}:I'm guessing the Red Bandana game is FSU since these are for sale...

http://bceagles.cbscollegestore.com/store_contents.cfm?store_id=396&dept_id=19457&product_id=265436

I hate to say it, but I disagree with this decision. I think the thing that felt so great last year was that BC did it right, they didn't exploit the story. It really was just honoring Welles. Now it's a big game gimmick.

Tomorrow is the game closest to the anniversary. It should be tomorrow.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:32 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCdee {l Wrote}:I'm guessing the Red Bandana game is FSU since these are for sale...

[

I hate to say it, but I disagree with this decision. I think the thing that felt so great last year was that BC did it right, they didn't exploit the story. It really was just honoring Welles. Now it's a big game gimmick.

Got to agree with DT, this feels like going to the Welles one to many times.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:09 pm

I have to agree. I like the red bandana game, though I'm not sure how I feel about them selling red bandanas with Welles written all over them or making this an annual occurrence.

It's a very tough nut because you want to honor his memory, but also run the risk of over use and commercializing/cheapening it.

I do not think it would be a bad idea to make this a once every five years thing. 10, 15, 20 year anniversary's etc.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby BCdee on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:12 pm

I think it is nice. I found this, too....

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2015/09/08/inspired-by-welles-r-crowther-american-heroes-channel-presents-inaugral-red-bandanna-hero-award-in-partnership-with-boston-college-821412/20150908ahc01/

Inspired by Welles R. Crowther, American Heroes Channel Presents Inaugral "Red Bandanna Hero Award" in Partnership with Boston College

(Silver Spring, Md.) - American Heroes Channel (AHC) will partner with Boston College (BC) to present the inaugural Red Bandanna Hero Award. Inspired by BC alumni Welles R. Crowther, AHC and the Welles Remy Crowther Charitable Trust created the award to acknowledge the ultimate, everyday hero who exemplifies the American spirit and defines us as a nation. Also known as "The Man in the Red Bandanna," Crowther saved as many as 12 people, according to survivor accounts, following the attacks on the World Trade Center. Paying tribute to Crowther's intrepid actions on September 11, 2001, the first-ever Red Bandanna Hero Award winner is Minneapolis firefighter Jake LaFerriere, who will be honored during the nationally televised BC football game on Friday, September 18 at 8PM ET on ESPN.

On July 3, 2010, Laferriere suffered third and fourth degree burns in a backdraft explosion while battling a house fire. While being treated at the hospital for his burns, LaFerriere met several young children in the burn unit, each undergoing painful treatments for their own burn injuries. Inspired by their resilience at such a young age, LaFerriere founded Firefighters for Healing, a non-profit organization whose mission is to support young burn survivors and their families in ways that insurance companies and caretakers are unable to.

As the Red Bandanna Hero Award winner, LaFerriere will receive a $10,000 donation to the charitable organization of his choosing, and will join the Crowther family at BC's annual Red Bandanna Game which takes place around the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. Boston College initiated the Red Bandanna Game to honor Crowther, who played lacrosse for the university and wore a red bandanna under his helmet. LaFerriere will also be featured in an AHC "Hero Moment" video, which will be aired on the network and available online at ahctv.com.

About American Heroes Channel

American Heroes Channel (AHC) is a network from Discovery Communications that tells timeless stories in which a challenge appears - be it a situation or a villain - and a hero arises. Currently in 60 million homes, AHC provides a rare glimpse into major events that shaped our world, visionary leaders and unexpected heroes who made a difference, and the great defenders of our freedom. For more information, please visit AHCtv.com, facebook.com/AHCtelevision, or Twitter.com/AHC_TV . American Heroes Channel is part of Discovery Communications (Nasdaq: DISCA, DISCB, DISCK), the world's #1 pay-tv programmer reaching nearly 3 billion cumulative subscribers in 220 countries and territories.

About Boston College

Boston College is a Jesuit Catholic institution located in Chestnut Hill, Mass., with a coeducational enrollment of nearly 14,700 undergraduate and graduate students from all 50 states and more than 80 countries. More than 750 male and female student-athletes compete in 31 varsity sports at the NCAA Division I level, the most sports offerings of any institution in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

About Firefighters for Healing

Firefighters for Healing is a non-profit organization founded in 2010 by Minneapolis firemen who tragically experienced firsthand what burn victims endure. Our mission is to support burn survivors and their families in ways insurance companies and caretakers are unable to. With donor and community help, we are able to replace some of the essential living items when all has been lost in a fire, contribute financial assistance for corrective surgeries, support summer camp attendance for burn injured youth, donate to local hospital burn units, and provide other resources and information as needed. To learn more, visit http://firefightersforhealing.org/.

About Red Bandanna Project

The Red Bandanna Project is a character development program for use in elementary, middle, and high school classrooms, sports teams and camps and youth programs. Inspired by the exemplary life and selfless death of Welles Crowther, the lessons taught are Leadership, Caring for Others, TEAM, The Power of One, Bridging Divides, Forgiveness and Carpe Diem. This project is supported by the Fetzer Institute of Kalamazoo, Michigan in partnership with the Welles Remy Crowther Charitable Trust.

Read more at http://www.thefutoncritic.com/news/2015 ... BO5bkfS.99
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:01 pm

Personally I'm OK with the annual game. But it should always be the game closest to 9/11. If that means Howard, it means Howard. It's all about what's more important, the anniversary or the opponent. Also, every single fucking penny of that $9.99 for that BC bandana better go to the charity of the Crowther's choosing. Every penny, not even after cost, just every penny.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:01 am

A lot of misplaced self righteous bullshit in this thread. It should be an important game annually.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Sep 12, 2015 7:45 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Agreeance. It should be for the game closest to Sept. 11th, otherwise it is gimmicky.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:07 pm

Tom Rinaldi wrote a book about Welles.
http://nypost.com/2016/08/28/911-surviv ... -bandanna/
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:20 am

is this tradition going to be continued against wagner?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:24 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:is this tradition going to be continued against wagner?

They'll save it for the Clemson game.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:34 pm

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:59 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Agreeance. It should be for the game closest to Sept. 11th, otherwise it is gimmicky.

Agree, and BC needs to work with the ACC and ESPN to make sure we get a marquee home game on that weekend every year.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:40 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Tom Rinaldi wrote a book about Welles.
http://nypost.com/2016/08/28/911-surviv ... -bandanna/

Rinaldi is leaving ESPN for Fox. Going to bring his poignant pieces to things like Super Bowl broadcasts.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Return to Alumni Stadium