2017 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:56 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Burton flipped to UCLA

Whatever

Def don't think this is end of the world. They still have a QB in this class and the quality of '18 targets is strong

When Daz gets fired, he can look back at these last 2 recruiting classes. This class is all kinds of terrible and last year was even worse. We have more kids from NH and MA than should be legal.

This has nothing to do with Burton either. The QB they have in this class is a kid playing at freaking Andover.

Not really show how this happened, the recruiting was good the first couple years.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:01 pm

eagle33 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Eppy is waiting to see if he flips to UCLA before responding. This way, Burton can be considered a MONSTER loss.

I'm already worried about him flipping to UCLA.

No need to worry anymore.

Unlike eppy, I liked Burton. So, I think this is a pretty big loss for what is the type of class you'd expect from a 0-for-ACC team.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:15 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:

Whatever

Def don't think this is end of the world. They still have a QB in this class and the quality of '18 targets is strong

Not really show how this happened, the recruiting was good the first couple years.

Being a national laughing stock generally resonates with recruits.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:32 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:

Whatever

Being a national laughing stock generally resonates with recruits.

The '17 class also isnt out of line with anything in Addazios first few. Last year, with limited scholarships, was a downtick, but not this season. I realize you have this shtick with the "players from NH" thing, but the '17 class is not out of the norm for Addazio.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:43 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:

Whatever

The Penn State fans must be really excited for when they decommit from us
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:19 pm

The Burton family is a big ego family, probably better off without him.

Superfan 22 does an outstanding job assessing the recruiting and comparing facilities between BC and our competition. BC has always been behind in facilities, but they could always count on a decent crop of local talent. This is no longer the case as there are fewer local recruits (more kids playing hockey) and we are losing local kids at a much higher rate. It will only get worse when SU gets up to speed.

Leahy must go, but the next guy could be just as bad. Leahy is one stupid person to say the least. He had 8 plus wins every year under TOB and 40,000 seats sold and he let GDF force him out. Bball is D2 level with no help in site for the next few years. It will take pressure from the ACC especially given the upcoming network launch to force BC to investing in facilities. Leahy's comments that athletics only lose money and that it does not pay to invest in facilities is a strategy that will keep BC at the very bottom of the ACC in wins and losses and total attendance.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:59 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:The Burton family is a big ego family, probably better off without him.

Superfan 22 does an outstanding job assessing the recruiting and comparing facilities between BC and our competition. BC has always been behind in facilities, but they could always count on a decent crop of local talent. This is no longer the case as there are fewer local recruits (more kids playing hockey) and we are losing local kids at a much higher rate. It will only get worse when SU gets up to speed.

Leahy must go, but the next guy could be just as bad. Leahy is one stupid person to say the least. He had 8 plus wins every year under TOB and 40,000 seats sold and he let GDF force him out. Bball is D2 level with no help in site for the next few years. It will take pressure from the ACC especially given the upcoming network launch to force BC to investing in facilities. Leahy's comments that athletics only lose money and that it does not pay to invest in facilities is a strategy that will keep BC at the very bottom of the ACC in wins and losses and total attendance.

The facility stuff and Leahy thing has been discussed here ad nauseum, and untill we see otherwise, it is most likely true. The longer BC has subpar facilities, the more often were going to see guys with options flip like this (or not commit at all).

Kind of an interesting case study is right down the road in Providence where they went from a President who didn't care about athletics, to one currently who understands their place in the overall plan/mission of the school. Not only have their 2 main sports seen a huge uptick under the current President, they have recently completed a renovation of their hockey facility, built a new soccer/lacrosse complex, completed a new student Rex center, and have raised the funds/will shortly break ground on a new basketball practice facility as well as a complete transformation of the overall campus currently underway.

I have no clue as to succession plans of Leahy (timeframe or candidates), but it's getting to that point where the stagnation caused by Leahy is going to kill this whole thing and take even more time to dig out. One positive to all this is I think BC will see very rapid changes in regards to recruiting once the facilities hopefully catchup, if only for the fact that they have been beaten down (and most likely recruited against for having bad facilities) for so long.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:We cannot keep losing every recruiting battle to PSU. Hopefully, BC has a great season and PSU keeps losing in the brutal B1G east division.

And hopefully BC doesn't keep losing every single game it plays in a mediocre ACC.

The ACC is far from mediocre this year. Some of the so called "experts" have both FSU and Clemson in the playoffs. Don't know if I agree with them, but if that comes to pass, ours would be the strongest division in the strongest conference in college football.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:10 am

Didn't the Burton kid have the UCLA offer when he committed to BC?

This is a bad loss, no real way to spin it. Choking away close wins in a 7-6 season is clearly not as damaging as doing so in a 3-9 season.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:55 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Didn't the Burton kid have the UCLA offer when he committed to BC?

This is a bad loss, no real way to spin it. Choking away close wins in a 7-6 season is clearly not as damaging as doing so in a 3-9 season.

Technically no, they offered within a few hours following his commitment. With that being said, I'm sure it didn't come totally out of the blue so I'm sure he was aware of strong interest
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:02 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:The Burton family is a big ego family, probably better off without him.

The facility stuff and Leahy thing has been discussed here ad nauseum, and untill we see otherwise, it is most likely true. The longer BC has subpar facilities, the more often were going to see guys with options flip like this (or not commit at all).

Kind of an interesting case study is right down the road in Providence where they went from a President who didn't care about athletics, to one currently who understands their place in the overall plan/mission of the school. Not only have their 2 main sports seen a huge uptick under the current President, they have recently completed a renovation of their hockey facility, built a new soccer/lacrosse complex, completed a new student Rex center, and have raised the funds/will shortly break ground on a new basketball practice facility as well as a complete transformation of the overall campus currently underway.

I have no clue as to succession plans of Leahy (timeframe or candidates), but it's getting to that point where the stagnation caused by Leahy is going to kill this whole thing and take even more time to dig out. One positive to all this is I think BC will see very rapid changes in regards to recruiting once the facilities hopefully catchup, if only for the fact that they have been beaten down (and most likely recruited against for having bad facilities) for so long.

re: Succession. If BC determines they want to stay with a Jesuit at the top, the man who replaces Leahy could be even worse. See: Kevin Wildes, S.J.

Weston alum and wants to be king of the AJCU. BC is a natural step up.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:28 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:We cannot keep losing every recruiting battle to PSU. Hopefully, BC has a great season and PSU keeps losing in the brutal B1G east division.

And hopefully BC doesn't keep losing every single game it plays in a mediocre ACC.

The ACC is far from mediocre this year. Some of the so called "experts" have both FSU and Clemson in the playoffs. Don't know if I agree with them, but if that comes to pass, ours would be the strongest division in the strongest conference in college football.

When the fuck did you come back, fatty?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:01 am

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

re: Succession. If BC determines they want to stay with a Jesuit at the top, the man who replaces Leahy could be even worse. See: Kevin Wildes, S.J.

Weston alum and wants to be king of the AJCU. BC is a natural step up.

I think we will get a Jesuit, the question is who? If they dont understand of athletics in BC's rise, alum donations etc, it could be an awful hire.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby angrychicken on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:17 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:...it could be an awful hire.

About that...

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:36 am

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Aug 23, 2016 11:56 am

So who do we consider good hires?
York
Coughlin
Skinner (wore out his welcome)
The Marine (wore out his welcome)
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:02 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:So who do we consider good hires?
York
Coughlin

the question is whether tobias and/or jobias should be on the list
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:09 pm

York
Coughlin

Jags/Logan
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:27 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
York
Coughlin

Jags/Logan

frank leahy
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:29 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
York
Coughlin

I liked Jags/Logan, but I feel like everyone else was not as happy.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:24 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
York
Coughlin

Yes, because back to back ACCCGs is underachieving when you are a whalepants and demand LOYALTY, like Coughlin ... er, wait ... fuck
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
York
Coughlin

Yes, because back to back ACCCGs is underachieving when you are a whalepants and demand LOYALTY, like Coughlin ... er, wait ... fuck

I thought it was loyalty and not recruiting Taj Boyd to replace Ryan.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:51 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
York
Coughlin

I thought it was loyalty and not recruiting Taj Boyd to replace Ryan.

Strange how the whalepants were OK with Spaz's loyalty over JB3. I've always assumed that they didn't like Jags because his plan to replace Matt Ryan and Chris Crane was future NFLer Justin Tuggle, future NFLer Dom Davis and future NFLer Taj Boyd. JB3 and Logan would have continued the process. Whereas Spaz knew the right "fit" for BC.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:11 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Strange how the whalepants were OK with Spaz's loyalty over JB3. I've always assumed that they didn't like Jags because his plan to replace Matt Ryan and Chris Crane was future NFLer Justin Tuggle, future NFLer Dom Davis and future NFLer Taj Boyd. JB3 and Logan would have continued the process. Whereas Spaz knew the right "fit" for BC.

Anybody have the number for the Museum of Hot Takes?

Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:14 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Strange how the whalepants were OK with Spaz's loyalty over JB3. I've always assumed that they didn't like Jags because his plan to replace Matt Ryan and Chris Crane was future NFLer Justin Tuggle, future NFLer Dom Davis and future NFLer Taj Boyd. JB3 and Logan would have continued the process. Whereas Spaz knew the right "fit" for BC.

(617) climb-a-glacier
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:20 pm

angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:20 pm

Came across this randomly. It was likely posted here 3 years ago, but I certainly don't recall it.
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/11/16/sp ... oogle.com/
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Aug 23, 2016 3:31 pm

(617) climb-a-glacier

Can't believe I'm wasting my 1000th post on this crap!

Unapologetic Catholic
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:02 pm

Ah crap, remember shit like this?

Year Team Overall Conference Standing Bowl/playoffs Coaches# AP°

2007 Boston College 11–3 6–2 1st (Atlantic) W Champs Sports 11 10
2008 Boston College 9–5 5–3 1st (Atlantic) L Music City

Boston College: 20–8 11–5
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:04 pm

i remember that loss in the music city. it wasn't a "team forgot to get off the bus" it was a "team forgot to get on the bus in the first place"

with the infamous firing a week later, it was clear that jags was mentally done as the hcbc
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium