2017 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:... the 2014 BC team had the best "drive/run blocking" offensive line I have ever seen at Boston College. Perhaps not any one of them (on the 2014 line) were as individually as good as Chris Snee, Trueblood, Pete Kendall, Damien Woody, or a certain lineman from Foxboro High School who completely dominated me at football camp all summer long (someone who I was stuck going head-to-head against all week because I was the top nose tackle at camp) who later went to play for the Denver Broncos, but the whole of that 2014 line was far-far greater than the sum of its parts.

Oh, and I don't want this one to slip through the cracks. Looking at the season rushing stats and concluding that this was one of the best offensive lines in BC history, as if they were pounding it between the tackles to great success, as they had done the year before with Andre Williams, is nonsense. BC ran a spread option with TEs at WR blocking on the perimeter, and had the bulk of their rushing success with speed on the perimeter - the QB (the leading rusher 1184, 6.5 per carry) outside, the back up RB Willis (459 yards at 5.2 per carry) who was used almost exclusively in the spread and the slot receiver Alston (352 on 10.4 yards per carry). Those three guys went for 1995 yards (60% of the yards) at a 6.5 yard per carry clip, primarily by getting to the perimeter quickly in the speed option or jet sweeps.

On the other hand, when BC pounded it between the tackles the remaining <40% (1103 yards), with Hilliman and Outlow running behind the greatest drive/run blocking team in BC history, they ground out 4.1 yards per carry.

BC was successful running the ball in 2014 because of speed, not the offensive line. That line was decent.

Good work though, the box score shows 3000+ rushing yards, line must have been great, right?

The line was great. Outstanding. In 2014, they had all that rushing production with true frosh tailbacks and WITHOUT Andre Williams. In 2015, they had zilch for rushing production with the exact same tailbacks they had in 2014 (and all their speed, they STILL have some of them.) The main difference, all 5 offensive linemen from 2014 graduated.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:32 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
innocentbystander {l Wrote}:... the 2014 BC team had the best "drive/run blocking" offensive line I have ever seen at Boston College. Perhaps not any one of them (on the 2014 line) were as individually as good as Chris Snee, Trueblood, Pete Kendall, Damien Woody, or a certain lineman from Foxboro High School who completely dominated me at football camp all summer long (someone who I was stuck going head-to-head against all week because I was the top nose tackle at camp) who later went to play for the Denver Broncos, but the whole of that 2014 line was far-far greater than the sum of its parts.

Oh, and I don't want this one to slip through the cracks. Looking at the season rushing stats and concluding that this was one of the best offensive lines in BC history, as if they were pounding it between the tackles to great success, as they had done the year before with Andre Williams, is nonsense. BC ran a spread option with TEs at WR blocking on the perimeter, and had the bulk of their rushing success with speed on the perimeter - the QB (the leading rusher 1184, 6.5 per carry) outside, the back up RB Willis (459 yards at 5.2 per carry) who was used almost exclusively in the spread and the slot receiver Alston (352 on 10.4 yards per carry). Those three guys went for 1995 yards (60% of the yards) at a 6.5 yard per carry clip, primarily by getting to the perimeter quickly in the speed option or jet sweeps.

On the other hand, when BC pounded it between the tackles the remaining <40% (1103 yards), with Hilliman and Outlow running behind the greatest drive/run blocking team in BC history, they ground out 4.1 yards per carry.

BC was successful running the ball in 2014 because of speed, not the offensive line. That line was decent.

Good work though, the box score shows 3000+ rushing yards, line must have been great, right?

The line was great. Outstanding. In 2014, they had all that rushing production with true frosh tailbacks and WITHOUT Andre Williams. In 2015, they had zilch for rushing production with the exact same tailbacks they had in 2014 (and all their speed, they STILL have some of them.) The main difference, all 5 offensive linemen from 2014 graduated.

4.1 by Hilliman and Outlow does not constitute "outstanding production" by the freshmen. The outstanding production was by a 23 year old senior QB, a fast WR that transferred, and a sophomore backup that had a 6.1 ypc this past season as a senior and pretty much had the same stats all 4 years.

The main difference between 2014 as opposed to 2015 and 2016 is Tyler Murphy. Oh, and the fact that they entirely changed their offense from the spread option to drop back passing and the I formation. Oh and the fact that the primary back tore up his knee and still hasn't returned to form.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:44 pm

I'm curious as to what happens with Matt McDonald. BC put out a press release with the class and his name was not on it. Maybe it's a situation where he's coming as a grayshirt (scholarship squeeze). Can't understand why they would take time to evaluate/offer/have him visit if he's not part of the class somehow.

Edit: Nevermind, he literally tweeted his commitment 30 seconds after I wrote this
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:50 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The talent is as good as it was under the daywalking ginger. There's definitely more team speed on both sides of the ball. The marine sniper did a better job at QB, and developed linemen better, which is all the difference on the offensive side of the ball. That's been Addazio's failing - the line has been a disappointment and he hasn't developed a single QB in 4 years - one mediocre holdover, two 5th year transfers and a year with no QB.

This has easily been my biggest complaint/disappointment with Daz. I am genuinely surprised at Daz's inability to develop talent. If anything, I figured we'd recruit athletes which he and his staff would build-up and develop into decent FB players. However, he has instead found some really good athletes... but don't develop into elite players over time. It is like his time at ND and Florida has skewed the teaching elements he was once known for at places like Cuse and Indiana. The idea that he hasn't been able to fix the OLine is simply dumbfounding.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The talent is as good as it was under the daywalking ginger. There's definitely more team speed on both sides of the ball. The marine sniper did a better job at QB, and developed linemen better, which is all the difference on the offensive side of the ball. That's been Addazio's failing - the line has been a disappointment and he hasn't developed a single QB in 4 years - one mediocre holdover, two 5th year transfers and a year with no QB.

This has easily been my biggest complaint/disappointment with Daz. I am genuinely surprised at Daz's inability to develop talent. If anything, I figured we'd recruit athletes which he and his staff would build-up and develop into decent FB players. However, he has instead found some really good athletes... but don't develop into elite players over time. It is like his time at ND and Florida has skewed the teaching elements he was once known for at places like Cuse and Indiana. The idea that he hasn't been able to fix the OLine is simply dumbfounding.

I disagree to an extant. He's developed Landry into 1st rounder next year (granted he was offered by everyone so maybe that isn't as much because of Addazio). There have been numerous guys however that did little to nothing with spaz that made NFL rosters once Addazio took over. Both the 5th year OL who never played at previous stops. Keyes. Simmons. Wetzel is hanging around somewhere (there are more names). In regards to development, you have to take into account that he's only been here 4 full years. His first full class hasn't even graduated yet. Unfortunately, you do have to give him time to evaluate how he develops players since the process development is directly related to being here multiple years. The QB piece is obv valid although he did get a lot out of Rettig.

TOB took over in 97. By '01 you really started seeing guys (particularly on the OL) start making the league.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=B&collegeName=Boston+College&abbrFlag=0&type=school
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:11 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I disagree to an extant. He's developed Landry into 1st rounder next year (granted he was offered by everyone so maybe that isn't as much because of Addazio). There have been numerous guys however that did little to nothing with spaz that made NFL rosters once Addazio took over. Both the 5th year OL who never played at previous stops. Keyes. Simmons. Wetzel is hanging around somewhere (there are more names). In regards to development, you have to take into account that he's only been here 4 full years. His first full class hasn't even graduated yet. Unfortunately, you do have to give him time to evaluate how he develops players since the process development is directly related to being here multiple years.

TOB took over in 97. By '01 you really started seeing guys (particularly on the OL) start making the league.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/fulldraft?abbr=B&collegeName=Boston+College&abbrFlag=0&type=school

I guess it doesn't matter. We are stuck with Addazio until the end of the 2019 season. He's not going anywhere. So we have to hope for the best, hope he knows what he is doing and can fix/correct whatever deficiencies that we all think are the problem.

I say the problem is the recruiting. HJS says its player development. Teddy may say game management and not recruiting one QB in 4 years. Maybe Daz is guilty on all counts? But we are still stuck.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:19 pm

Sorry, didn't bother to look if there was a 2018 Recruiting Thread...

Got some info from my Michigan-area ppl that we offered a Detroit-suburb area 2018 Pro-Style QB, Theo Day of Divine Child. 6'5" ~200lbs. P5 offers: Mich St and Kentucky, and us obviously. It seems he likes Sparty more. I wonder who's in charge of Michigan or the Great Lakes/midwest as a whole? Would it be Ricky Brown? Brian White since he was at Wisconsin for a bit? Or the ex-IU Frye
Last edited by MF73-Eleazar on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:20 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I disagree to an extant. He's developed Landry into 1st rounder next year (granted he was offered by everyone so maybe that isn't as much because of Addazio). There have been numerous guys however that did little to nothing with spaz that made NFL rosters once Addazio took over. Both the 5th year OL who never played at previous stops. Keyes. Simmons. Wetzel is hanging around somewhere (there are more names). In regards to development, you have to take into account that he's only been here 4 full years. His first full class hasn't even graduated yet. Unfortunately, you do have to give him time to evaluate how he develops players since the process development is directly related to being here multiple years.

I guess it doesn't matter. We are stuck with Addazio until the end of the 2019 season. He's not going anywhere. So we have to hope for the best, hope he knows what he is doing and can fix/correct whatever deficiencies that we all think are the problem.

I say the problem is the recruiting. HJS says its player development. Teddy may say game management and not recruiting one QB in 4 years. Maybe Daz is guilty on all counts? But we are still stuck.

I say it is a combination of a few things:

1. Not recruiting or developing a QB
2. Not coaching up the OLine, which has good enough athletes, and as HJS notes, this is the most perplexing thing, especially now that it is his guys. This year's line better make a jump.
3. An offensive style rooted in the 1940s (with the caveat that this was the right choice with Andre Williams, and they get credit for switching to the spread with Murphy for one year).
4. Piss poor game and clock management, which is really #1A.

4 got a little better with Pasqualoni's presence on the sideline. 1 - verdict is out, Brown could be his first QB. 2 - is indefensible, Daz should kick himself out of Loeffler's meetings and focus solely on the line until it is fixed.

3, well :whiteflag
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I say it is a combination of a few things:

1. Not recruiting or developing a QB
2. Not coaching up the OLine, which has good enough athletes, and as HJS notes, this is the most perplexing thing, especially now that it is his guys. This year's line better make a jump.
3. An offensive style rooted in the 1940s (with the caveat that this was the right choice with Andre Williams, and they get credit for switching to the spread with Murphy for one year).
4. Piss poor game and clock management, which is really #1A.

4 got a little better with Pasqualoni's presence on the sideline. 1 - verdict is out, Brown could be his first QB. 2 - is indefensible, Daz should kick himself out of Loeffler's meetings and focus solely on the line until it is fixed.

3, well :whiteflag

I don't care what offense he runs so long as he wins his games. He doesn't so.....

innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:29 pm

Getting back to recruiting, the defensive backfield they signed might be the best part of the class. Although BC site has Haynes at QB/DB now, which is interesting.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Getting back to recruiting, the defensive backfield they signed might be the best part of the class. Although BC site has Haynes at QB/DB now, which is interesting.

Today is signing day right? Like, its over and we will know exactly who is in this class by the end of today?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Getting back to recruiting, the defensive backfield they signed might be the best part of the class. Although BC site has Haynes at QB/DB now, which is interesting.

Today is signing day right? Like, its over and we will know exactly who is in this class by the end of today?

So you don't actually read the stuff to which you respond?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:36 pm

Holy fuck.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:44 pm

As to the OL, I go back to my earlier point of timing. Patchan and Silberman were both coached onto NFL rosters. He developed Gallik into a draft pick/rookie starter in Tennessee. Cleary and Wetzel are both on NFL rosters (even Mihalek is listed as an OL in Pitt). He can develop the position.

The problem now is that the entire OL reset in 2015 due to the under recruiting of previous regimes (again, Spaz took 3 OL in his last full class and the transition class which he put together, Win Homer left so 2 remained in program over 2 classes). Those numbers will never work. For all the horseshit that Thinskin spins regarding youth, the OL in '15/'16 is actually the one position where he can legitimately make that claim.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 01, 2017 1:45 pm

(PING)
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:08 pm

So can one of you twitter stalkers do the rest of us a favor by sorting each of the signees into one of the usual categories: 1) Stud, 2) Good Recruit (Who'd Have More Stars if He Signed with Michigan), 3) Solid Developmental Player, 4) Flyer, 5) WTF?

Patrick Brown (TE)
AJ Dillon (RB)
Nathaniel Emer (DL)
Tate Haynes (QB)
Noah Jordan-Williams (WR)
Travis Levy (RB)
CJ Lewis (ATH)
Alec Lindstrom (OL)
Hunter Long (TE)
Isaiah McDuffie (LB)
Drew McQuarrie (TE)
Jahmin Muse (DB)
EJ Perry (QB)
Benjamin Petrula (OL)
TJ Rayam (DT)
Brandon Sebastian (DB)
Ben Stewart (DB)
Caleb Stoneburner (WR)
Paul Theobald (LB)
Marcus Valdez (DE)
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Bunratty on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:14 pm

San Diego Stat came in with an offer for Haynes as a QB, and there was a possibility of a flip. So BC gave him the bullshit about giving him a shot at QB in order to keep him.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Dillon was just on ESPN2, they actually spoke about what Daz ate with Dillon's family when he visited. Can't make this shit up! :laugh
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:28 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:Dillon was just on ESPN2, they actually spoke about what Daz ate with Dillon's family when he visited. Can't make this shit up! :laugh

was it pizza?
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:15 pm

Dillon said two things and "lots of foccacia bread"

"Cazzzooooo...gimme a cheese dis big wit nuttin"
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:39 pm

the fact that teddy is debating actual sporting related topics with nospace is amusing to me and makes me wonder if he wants to debate with foot about what a vagina feels like (ps - a real vagina not a "buttcxnt")
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Feb 01, 2017 3:42 pm

:x
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:04 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:the fact that teddy is debating actual sporting related topics with nospace is amusing to me and makes me wonder if he wants to debate with foot about what a vagina feels like (ps - a real vagina not a "buttcxnt")

When I am tired and bored, arguing with dumb and adamant can be entertaining. This is no different than arguing with him on his views on women, he's equally obtuse.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:24 pm

1) Stud, 2) Good Recruit (Who'd Have More Stars if He Signed with Michigan), 3) Solid Developmental Player, 4) Flyer, 5) WTF?

Stud
AJ Dillon (RB)
Travis Levy (RB)

Good Recruit
CJ Lewis (ATH)
Benjamin Petrula (OL)
Brandon Sebastian (DB)
Ben Stewart (DB)
Isaiah McDuffie (LB)
Caleb Stoneburner (WR)

Solid Developmental Player
TJ Rayam (DT)
Paul Theobald (LB)
Marcus Valdez (DE)
Jahmin Muse (DB)
Tate Haynes (Really DB)
Matthew McDonald (QB)
Patrick Brown (TE)
EJ Perry (QB) [Only in category because he can dunk]

Flyer
Nathaniel Emer (DL)
Alec Lindstrom (OL)
Hunter Long (TE)
Drew McQuarrie (TE)
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:32 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:1) Stud, 2) Good Recruit (Who'd Have More Stars if He Signed with Michigan), 3) Solid Developmental Player, 4) Flyer, 5) WTF?

Stud
AJ Dillon (RB)
Travis Levy (RB)

Good Recruit
CJ Lewis (ATH)
Benjamin Petrula (OL)
Brandon Sebastian (DB)
Ben Stewart (DB)
Isaiah McDuffie (LB)
Caleb Stoneburner (WR)

Solid Developmental Player
TJ Rayam (DT)
Paul Theobald (LB)
Marcus Valdez (DE)
Jahmin Muse (DB)
Tate Haynes (Really DB)
Matthew McDonald (QB)
Patrick Brown (TE)
EJ Perry (QB) [Only in category because he can dunk]

Flyer
Nathaniel Emer (DL)
Alec Lindstrom (OL)
Hunter Long (TE)
Drew McQuarrie (TE)

I'd probably bump up Muse.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:36 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:the fact that teddy is debating actual sporting related topics with nospace is amusing to me and makes me wonder if he wants to debate with foot about what a vagina feels like (ps - a real vagina not a "buttcxnt")

When I am tired and bored, arguing with dumb and adamant can be entertaining. This is no different than arguing with him on his views on women, he's equally obtuse.

you should see his stuff on his "other blog"

it makes you wonder where he gets his stuff from
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:53 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Good effort, not that tired though
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby angrychicken on Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:54 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Um (PING)...ah (PING)...what is that? ...florp (PING)
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Feb 01, 2017 6:07 pm

angrychicken {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

...what is that? ...

he said he's been eating a lot of fish
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy