2017 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2017 Recruiting Thread

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 2:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:If BC already had an IPF and the corners filled and club seating, the outcomes under Daz (both on the field and in recruiting) would be EXACTLY the same. Winners don't need to remove superficial excuses to be successful.

This is more or less true. Perhaps you would see an uptick in recruiting with better facilities (especially in years 1 and 2 of Daz), but there is enough of a track record to definitely say nothing would be different offensively, even with better talent. Now that BC has no momentum recruiting wise, as a result of the boring in field product and shitty play, the facilities would be meaningless.

This is exactly the problem with facility neglect. Now you're in a spot where you have to put out $100mm in facility upgrades and commit $4mm/year for a coach. It sounds like a lot, but it's all bCs fault for being cheap the last 25 years.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:18 pm

That offer and recruit are atrocious, you all can continue with your three-way agenda
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:07 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Tate Haynes just committed. Orig offered as a QB, commits as DB. From same school as Ray Smith and '17 commit Patrick Brown in San Diego. Had offer from BYU as DB as well I believe

Also offered Allen Daniels yesterday, presumably offered should Harper commits elsewhere. 6'1/290lb DT from Dacula, GA. Looks to have offer from K-State and some smaller regional schools in the GA area

Allen Daniels just committed. 6'1/300lb DT, would be real nice to pair with Curtis Harper this recruiting cycle at DT.

Looks like a real good pickup and you have to trust Al.

Allen Daniels decommitted.

What happened? He was one of our most important recruits with Daz' lack of focus on the position in favor of scores of crappy WRs.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:21 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Tate Haynes just committed. Orig offered as a QB, commits as DB. From same school as Ray Smith and '17 commit Patrick Brown in San Diego. Had offer from BYU as DB as well I believe

Also offered Allen Daniels yesterday, presumably offered should Harper commits elsewhere. 6'1/290lb DT from Dacula, GA. Looks to have offer from K-State and some smaller regional schools in the GA area

Allen Daniels just committed. 6'1/300lb DT, would be real nice to pair with Curtis Harper this recruiting cycle at DT.

What happened? He was one of our most important recruits with Daz' lack of focus on the position in favor of scores of crappy WRs.

Daz loves 6'5" slow white unathletic WRs.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:57 am

Unfortunately, he seems to also like slow midgets with a bizarre throwing motion that generates no velocity.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:17 pm

Few quick notes ...

- AJ Dillon is taking official visit next week

- Rashad Stewart, CB from Central Clearwater Cath (same school as Jeff Smith) has BC visit upcoming (looks like final 3 of BC, Cincy and Western Kentucky which one article says is his favorite). Holds offers from all 3 as well as Vandy and Louisville

- When Austin Burton decommitted from BC, he specifically mentioned the deep connection with their OC, he was just fired by Mora

- Brandon Sebastian is still committed to BC after his PED State visit. Says he will take official visits to both BC and Ped St as of now
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:20 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Looks like new offer to Matthew Ryan, QB from Brophy Prep in Phoenix, AZ. Visited for the Yukon game. 5'10/185lb, BC appears to be first division 1 offer.

http://www.hudl.com/v/105LW5

I think I met him. I believe he was with us at a BC alumni event that I attend in Phoenix even though they know I'm not an alum.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:34 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Few quick notes ...

dillon is the first to get the harbaugh push, wonder how long until kwity, etc get it

what position are they recruiting dillon for? i assume he's outgrown RB
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:07 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Few quick notes ...

dillon is the first to get the harbaugh push, wonder how long until kwity, etc get it

what position are they recruiting dillon for? i assume he's outgrown RB

He's gonna be a RB at BC. There has been speculation that UM wants to convert him to LB which I think got possible decommitment talks started. He is also 1 of 3 RB commits for UM and there was talk that they were still after a Bama RB commit. If Harbaugh pulls anything with commits, I'd love BC to grab Ben Mason late too, he would be at BC if not for Brown.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:49 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

The great Daziani happened:

I have not been paying much attention to recruiting. So we have had 3 decommits: Burton, Payne and Daniels?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:50 pm

Brown might get a HC offer, relax, not from BC, but he could be gone from Michigan
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:14 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:The great Daziani happened:

posting this atrocious photoshop should result in an auto timeout
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:34 pm

With the season over, I suspect Daz will focus back on recruiting and hopefully snag someone late.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Hayden Rettig is officially transferring from Rutgers. I'm sure he will look for somewhere to start immediately, but I'd love to see BC bring him in.

At this point, Addazio has to start Wade. For everyone who was concerned about the "message" it would send to 5th years if he sat Towles, many of the same issues are at play with Wade, he's almost gotta play. Rettig would provide depth next year behind Wade and allow BC to keep Brown in the background while developing.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Tom Dooder on Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:47 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Hayden Rettig is officially transferring from Rutgers. I'm sure he will look for somewhere to start immediately, but I'd love to see BC bring him in.

At this point, Addazio has to start Wade. For everyone who was concerned about the "message" it would send to 5th years if he sat Towles, many of the same issues are at play with Wade, he's almost gotta play. Rettig would provide depth next year behind Wade and allow BC to keep Brown in the background while developing.

I think Wade transfers and if so, they bring in Rettig.
Tom Dooder
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:25 pm

This may be an unpopular opinion, but (while I have tremendous respect for Chase) I have serious misgivings about Hayden. First, there is the decision-making process that resulted in choosing Rutgers (and a coach who allegedly didn't give him a chance). Second, there is the chance that he couldn't beat out a slew of absolutely terrible QBs in Piscatawy ("style" of the offense is immaterial). Finally, there is the whole 5th year transfer thing that has distorted the development of the program while desperately trying to hide Daz's failings.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Nov 28, 2016 2:32 pm

Well said and nuff said.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:15 pm

Why does Daz continue to recruit quarterbacks if he's just going to bring in a 5th year every season?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:50 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Why does Daz continue to recruit quarterbacks if he's just going to bring in a 5th year every season?

i assume the 2nd - 5th string quarterbacks are responsible to comb his back hair so he needs as many as he can get
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:07 pm

Tom Dooder {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Hayden Rettig is officially transferring from Rutgers. I'm sure he will look for somewhere to start immediately, but I'd love to see BC bring him in.

I think Wade transfers and if so, they bring in Rettig.

I'd say the opposite. If a 5th year transfers in, then Wade transfers out. And nobody would blame him.

I'm really hoping that Daz uses whatever rationalization he can to explain the lack of playing time behind Towles this year, emphasize that the job is his to lose going into 2017, and convinces Wade to come back. If we trust Daz and co. on how promising Brown is, a depth chart of 1) Wade, 2) Brown, 3) "Whoever" is light years better than another year of a reject 5th year transfer, a freshman and John Fadule.

Really want Wade back and for him to live up to the expectations!
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 5:27 pm

Im of the opinion that if they can bring in Rettig to add depth to next season, then do it. Like I said earlier, hes going to get 1 shot at this, so you have to assume he goes somewhere that will allow him to play immediately, which most likely wont be here, making this all moot. Since he has really never played anywhere he has been, maybe you can sell him on a year with Loeffler or something as a way to get him here with the understanding that he is most likely not going to start (unlikely but possible).

I just dont think you want to be in a position again (like 2015) where if Wade goes down, you're stuck with a RS Freshman backing him up. Thats a reality, and its totally on Addazio for bringing in Jeff Smith and Flutie in a class with neither sticking at the position. 2017 will not be completely like 2015 since you have Brown in the mix, but it wont be ideal the way the depth chart sits now
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Is there any evidence at all that Hayden Rettig is any good?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:08 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Is there any evidence at all that Hayden Rettig is any good?

as much as there is about darius wade
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:11 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Is there any evidence at all that Hayden Rettig is any good?

:kudos
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:24 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

:kudos

Part of me says... if he couldn't beat out Towles, then he is simply terrible at quarterbacking.
Part of me says... if he was the Annointed One a mere 18-months ago (such that they swore-off recruiting the position to show they had faith in him), then he is probably talented and the injury just set him back (like one did Hilliman).
Then... I remember that Daz is as bad as it comes with player evaluation (see, benching of Mike Knoll)... bottom line is that we cannot glean anything from Wade's season this year.

All that said, my gut tells me that Wade is a mediocre-at-best QB (this is based on the very limited time he's played). I'm still just pissed that they haven't found a way to install a read-option system with Jeff Smith as a the QB. Seems too easy a fix for what has been 2 straight years of historically bad offenses.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:57 am

AJ Dillon on campus this weekend
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Wed Nov 30, 2016 2:25 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:AJ Dillon on campus this weekend

I am looking forward to AJ Dillon and EJ Perry leading us to the Orange Bowl!

Go Mass football!
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:21 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Devan Lawson just decommitted per Twitter. Interesting decision considering his offers to date.

This is interesting, thought he was very high on BC. Still not too worried. Although I liked Lawson, he was probably the weakest commit in the class thus far.

I tend to agree, he seemed to have athleticism for his size (against bad comp) but is definitely more of a project that Brown, who is a more traditional all around TE. Lawson is apparently visiting UMass tomorrow. Safe to say this wasn't an extra offer scenario, I think this may be a space issue and he made a decision based on Patrick Brown committing.

http://247sports.com/Player/Devan-Lawson-89053
Committed to Stony Brook. Mentioned something about the cleanliness of the showers being an important factor.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:17 pm

Posted on twitter this AM ...

AJ Dillon ‏@ajdillon7 5h5 hours ago
Let me tell you about those eagles. Had a great OV #decidetofly

UM took Luiji Vilain from The Episcopal School in VA. as a 4th DE. Wonder if Paye will get squeezed if numbers get tight
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:19 pm

It's interesting the point you make about getting squeezed out. In the long run a reduction of scholarships from 85 to 75 would really help middle tier programs like BC. A lot of kids that we lose out on never see the field until late in their in career. You would think playing time sooner rather than later would give BC a better chance at landing better talent. Losing every recruiting battle to PSU has to be turned around. Hopefully the IPF will help.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium