Another great OOC game scheduled

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Another great OOC game scheduled

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:29 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Hypothetical future G5's scheduled with UConn and UMass:
Year 1: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, UMass
Year 2: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, UConn @ Foxboro
Year 3: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, @ UMass
Year 4: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, UConn
Year 5: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, UMass @ Foxboro
Year 6: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, @ UConn
Year 7: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, UMass
Year 8: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, UConn

Or:
Year 1: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, FIU
Year 2: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, @ Miami (OH)
Year 3: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, Houston
Year 4: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, Miami (OH)
Year 5: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, UTEP
Year 6: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, @ Houston
Year 7: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, Akron
Year 8: Baby Rapist, FCS, Decent G5 or Mediocre P5, Fresno State

You seriously prefer the latter?!?!

wouldn't that require Bates to schedule a p5 opponent?

something he hasn't done in his 3 years here

Theoretically there's a P5 requirement starting in 2017. In fairness, we already have Baby Rapists scheduled in 6 of the first 10 years of the agreement...ND 4x and Ohio State 2x. We need 2018, 2020, 2021 and 2026. AtlEagle's totally right when he says we shouldn't expect any especially challenging OOC games beyond that P5 requirement. So Bates really just has 4 poster OOC games to setup.

The question then becomes what to do with the two crappy G5 filler teams you going to schedule every year. Lots of openings for those over the next ten years. Hence, UConn and UMass. Who else from the G5 is worthwhile?
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:31 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I know I'm walking into another shit-storm here, but this would be a great deal. If we're going to schedule 2 G5's every year, 1 of them should be UConn or UMass. In fact, I'd be ok if we just alternate UConn and UMass for foreseeable future. At the very least it would prevent boring shit like Kent State, Northern Illinois and Colorado State from happening too often.

Bates, bite the bullet and just lock-it up. Push for 2:1:1's with two at Alumni, 1 at UMass/UConn, 1 at Foxboro/Fenway. (Without giving UConn 30K of Fenway for their "home game" of course. Even split at Fenway.) You'll face blowback, but 5 years from now it will be accepted.

(Flutie, Rouse, Obama, Playing UConn or UMass annually).

BC should play UMass every year. It's a guaranteed win, we get some fun games at Gillette and attendance will be decent.

No on UConn if you're going to play UMass annually
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:34 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:rbktr or whatever is a uconn troll?

and spot on bloggie

and maybe its just me, but id rather take a loss in gainsville or socal w a home game on the back end of it over 2 wins over NIU // whoever any day of the week.

in 5 years i won't be able to tell you about our record...however, i will be able to tell you about going to the coliseum to watch bc play and about the USC night game. hell i can't even remember half the home games from last year.

i get why they want the wins though

Agreed just take the loss at Florida for the return game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:I know I'm walking into another shit-storm here, but this would be a great deal. If we're going to schedule 2 G5's every year, 1 of them should be UConn or UMass. In fact, I'd be ok if we just alternate UConn and UMass for foreseeable future. At the very least it would prevent boring shit like Kent State, Northern Illinois and Colorado State from happening too often.

Bates, bite the bullet and just lock-it up. Push for 2:1:1's with two at Alumni, 1 at UMass/UConn, 1 at Foxboro/Fenway. (Without giving UConn 30K of Fenway for their "home game" of course. Even split at Fenway.) You'll face blowback, but 5 years from now it will be accepted.

BC should play UMass every year. It's a guaranteed win, we get some fun games at Gillette and attendance will be decent.

Don't you guys understand that this hate you're feeling is exactly why UConn would be good for the calendar. Hate is a better emotion for fans to be feeling about a matchup than indifference is. It generates interest and sells tickets.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:10 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Don't you guys understand that this hate you're feeling is exactly why UConn would be good for the calendar. Hate is a better emotion for fans to be feeling about a matchup than indifference is. It generates interest and sells tickets.

Can't decide which is more irrelevant, UConn or ticket sales. Or stupid Notre Dame games.
Last edited by twballgame9 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:44 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This is spot on. UMass every year and yukon can F off. The ACC cant go to a 9 game schedule fast enough. 9 ACC games (with no locked in "rivals"), UMass, FCS and P5.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:56 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This is spot on. UMass every year and yukon can F off. The ACC cant go to a 9 game schedule fast enough. 9 ACC games (with no locked in "rivals"), UMass, FCS and P5.

I think UMass annually is the worst possible idea. Annual rivals should only ever be peer schools, like Florida playing Florida State annually. BC playing UMass annually is like Florida playing USF annually.

I'd settle for a 3 team rotation with UConn, UMass and Temple. Let those three teams account for 50% of our G5 matchups and then pepper in some service academies. Then hopefully the Kent State's of the world will only account for <25% of our G5 matchups, which would be a very small percentage of our overall schedule. Final offer.

And regardless of a 9-game schedule, I want new divisions. Bring back the Big East! Miami, BC, VT, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, (and UVA, I guess) all in the same division. No more boring as shit North Carolina teams on the annual schedule. Fuck 'em. And as much as I love playing Clemson, I can settle for every 3 or 4 years. Get rid of the permanent crossover. Swofford's dream of getting highly ranked Miami vs. FSU twice in one year would actually be counterproductive in the new playoff model.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:12 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I think UMass annually is the worst possible idea. Annual rivals should only ever be peer schools, like Florida playing Florida State annually. BC playing UMass annually is like Florida playing USF annually.

I'd settle for a 3 team rotation with UConn, UMass and Temple. Let those three teams account for 50% of our G5 matchups and then pepper in some service academies. Then hopefully the Kent State's of the world will only account for <25% of our G5 matchups, which would be a very small percentage of our overall schedule. Final offer.

And regardless of a 9-game schedule, I want new divisions. Bring back the Big East! Miami, BC, VT, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, (and UVA, I guess) all in the same division. No more boring as shit North Carolina teams on the annual schedule. Fuck 'em. And as much as I love playing Clemson, I can settle for every 3 or 4 years. Get rid of the permanent crossover. Swofford's dream of getting highly ranked Miami vs. FSU twice in one year would actually be counterproductive in the new playoff model.

Why does it matter if we have 1 non-peer school every year or a rotation of 3 non-peer schools ? It makes no difference at all and BC doesnt have the luxury that UF/FSU have of being peers and geographically relevant, that school doesn't exist. Establishing something consistent gives the series a better chance of catching on with both fanbases. Playing UMass allows (at worst) a game at Alumni and a convenient game at Foxboro, its a great situation from a scheduling perspective. The game at Foxboro last year was about as good as you can expect for a road game.

I would compare playing UMass every year the same as Virginia Tech playing ECU every year (except more winnable/not as much of a wild card game) from a national perception stand point
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:32 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Jesus walrus. Enough already
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:04 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I would compare playing UMass every year the same as Virginia Tech playing ECU every year (except more winnable/not as much of a wild card game) from a national perception stand point

Coincidentally, ran into a VT fan walking the dog this morning (I could tell because both of his dogs were decked out in lots of Hokie gear) and mentioned the loss to ECU this weekend. This was followed by a tirade about how VT needs to stop scheduling ECU and how it's a stupid matchup in the first place. Sample size of one, but a very coincidental validation.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:05 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Jesus walrus. Enough already

I'm sorry, but what am I supposed to do? Work during the day?

Can my IT department read this post?
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:08 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

no, they can't. and the rest of us are jealous of them
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:10 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

You should be proud of this.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

thank goodness the new poster that points out low hanging fruit wasn't around because this was pretty low hanging fruit
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:14 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

thank goodness the new poster that points out low hanging fruit wasn't around because this was pretty low hanging fruit

That may be the case, but there are a lot of short posters around here.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:30 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:I would compare playing UMass every year the same as Virginia Tech playing ECU every year (except more winnable/not as much of a wild card game) from a national perception stand point

Coincidentally, ran into a VT fan walking the dog this morning (I could tell because both of his dogs were decked out in lots of Hokie gear) and mentioned the loss to ECU this weekend. This was followed by a tirade about how VT needs to stop scheduling ECU and how it's a stupid matchup in the first place. Sample size of one, but a very coincidental validation.

so you running into a guy walking his dog validates your theory of playing a 3 team rotation of non-peer schools instead of 1 team YoY ? You think this guy would prefer a rotation of ECU, Memphis and Navy ? It makes no difference.

He wishes they would stop because ECU is a competitive program who runs an offense that allows them to be in games with VT once in a while. That's not the case with UMass. They're isn't enough depth in this area for UMass to pick up the scraps that BC leaves and have competitive players, in the Mid-Atlantic (specifically Virgina/NC) there is that talent/depth. Even with that, it's only enough for ECU to be competitive once and a while (it's more of an indication of where VT is with its coaching situation and injury dilemma this year).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:31 am

NIU is a lot like ECU. No upside, lot's of downside. It's the worst kind of ooc.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:40 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:NIU is a lot like ECU. No upside, lot's of downside. It's the worst kind of ooc.

it's still better than uconn
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:42 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:NIU is a lot like ECU. No upside, lot's of downside. It's the worst kind of ooc.

This. We didn't have any batteries thrown by NIU fans this weekend as far as I know
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:45 am

fine, it's the second worst kind. on field it's the worst kind.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:46 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This. We didn't have any batteries thrown by NIU fans this weekend as far as I know

No one can throw a battery 141 miles.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:48 am

I actually think there was a lot of upside for this BC team beating that NIU team, especially after their performance against OSU. In a year when BC is supposed to be good, maybe not,
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Sep 30, 2015 10:49 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:And regardless of a 9-game schedule, I want new divisions. Bring back the Big East! Miami, BC, VT, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, (and UVA, I guess) all in the same division.

No wonder you read Blaudschun.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:44 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I actually think there was a lot of upside for this BC team beating that NIU team, especially after their performance against OSU. In a year when BC is supposed to be good, maybe not,

Agreed. NIU has had a nice little run over the last several years. They are a half decent team and the MAC has held its own this season thus far.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:05 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:And regardless of a 9-game schedule, I want new divisions. Bring back the Big East! Miami, BC, VT, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville, (and UVA, I guess) all in the same division.

Miami, VT, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville and UVA >>>>> FSU, Clemson, Wake, NCST, Syracuse, Louisville.

UMass, UConn, Temple >>>>>> UMass, UMass, UMass

TRE 8--> TW :-O
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Ben Roethlisberger on Wed Sep 30, 2015 12:58 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Miami, VT, Syracuse, Pitt, Louisville and UVA >>>>> FSU, Clemson, Wake, NCST, Syracuse, Louisville.

Why does TRE have 8 and TWBallgame have 0?
Ben Roethlisberger
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 1:02 pm

Ben Roethlisberger {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Why does TRE have 8 and TWBallgame have 0?

This is why you are benched for David Carr
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Salzano14 on Wed Sep 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Rumors swirling that next year's schedule is rounded out with FIU and Wagner
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Sep 30, 2015 7:16 pm

Salzano14 {l Wrote}:Rumors swirling that next year's schedule is rounded out with FIU and Wagner

Not if UMass has anything to say about it...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:18 pm

Temple and Rutgers make better sense for recruiting. Army is always a decent draw. SMU owes us a home game.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium