Another great OOC game scheduled

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Another great OOC game scheduled

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:20 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:sorry eagledave, in this millennial fan base we strive to schedule the 4 weakest teams that we can and pray that our acc schedule lines up with the shittiest teams from the other division. that will allow us an inflated rating/ranking that gets us to the same shitty bowl as a 7-5 schedule would have gotten us to.

yay victories. boo measuring quality of victories

Sort of this. This is the last year I'll be okay with this type of scheduling. Beating 4 horrible OOC teams and Wake and Syracuse does not make for a successful season.

the good thing about your philosophy is that we can wait until the summer before the season's supposed to start and fill up our schedule with desirable opponents. no one looks a year or five in advance when setting a football schedule so this current flutter of inactivity should be no cause for alarm for any period in the distant (more than 2 years away) future

I can assure you that Buffalo, UMass, etc. won't be Top 10 five years from now.

Good try though.

i was being sarcastic, dingleberry. i agree with your point that this is a final year of allowable suckass schedule. the thing is, for gerbil boy and the sarge to make this the case, they need to be putting non-shitty teams on the 2016 - 2020 schedule now, not in 1-4 years.

but yes, if we want to see more buffalo and umass then bates and steve should continue to hold open spots on the schedule until the absolute last minute.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby tallsy on Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:04 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:As a season ticket holder, the 2015 & 2016 schedules are atrocious.

What's the point of buying season tickets anymore? I don't because there's no reason to. I'm not paying $55 a ticket to watch games against FCS teams, crappy MAC teams, etc. I'll just buy one outside for $10.

Playing these teams sucks and is frankly boring. A perfect schedule again is:

FCS
UMass
P5 peer school or BYU
Big Time Program

If in down years you want to replace P5 Peer School with an upper level MAC team then fine, but playing 2 FCS teams or 3 MAC teams is boring and does nothing for your recruiting. If you can't figure out how to win 6 games over FCS, UMass, and 4 teams at the bottom of the crappy ACC you don't deserve to make a bowl. The ACC is very top heavy, but the bottom of the conference is bad (I'm looking at you NCST, Cuse, and Wake).

If we can't get a Big Time or Peer 5, I would accept a non-BCS team with an intriguing road trip for some people - UCF, USF, UTSA, SMU, Tulane, Memphis, Hawaii, FIU, FAU, UNLV etc. Now these don't appeal to all but IMO a significant segment of the fanbase might like them.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:53 pm

The food at Alumni stinks and they stop selling it too early. :elephant
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:51 pm

Northern Illinois just announced that the BC game would be the season opener in 2017
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:52 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Northern Illinois just announced that the BC game would be the season opener in 2017

no labor day home game!!
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:32 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Northern Illinois just announced that the BC game would be the season opener in 2017

no labor day home game!!

Just speculation, but I'm guessing a home-and-home with Purdue is coming. After all, they need to meet the BIG's new P5 requirement in 2016 and 2019. A road trip to Purdue in 2016 could buy us a much needed home P5 2018 or 2020. Nothing too exciting, but at least it s a winnable P5...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:59 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

no labor day home game!!

Just speculation, but I'm guessing a home-and-home with Purdue is coming. After all, they need to meet the BIG's new P5 requirement in 2016 and 2019. A road trip to Purdue in 2016 could buy us a much needed home P5 2018 or 2020. Nothing too exciting, but at least it s a winnable P5...

I look forward to breaking out my old 14 Sutherland jersey! :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:13 am

every ACC program has scheduled a p5 opponent within the last 12 months

bates hasn't scheduled one in the nearly 3 years he's been here
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:52 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

no labor day home game!!

Oh man. I have another common address with eo posters. Lived on the top floor. Place was condemned after an inspection found that the landlord was just putting trash in the basement for several years.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:52 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
Logitano {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

no labor day home game!!

Oh man. I have another common address with eo posters. Lived on the top floor. Place was condemned after an inspection found that the landlord was just putting trash in the basement for several years.

Thats what Gacey told his neighbors the smell was.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:39 pm

Logitano {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

no labor day home game!!

Forget about Purdue in 2016. This week the BIG announced that certain G5 schools will satisfy the P5 requirement, including BYU and ND (obviously) but also Army, UConn and Cincinnati. Now, despite the celebration this news was met with over at the boneyard, this is really just to make life easier for BIG schools that have already scheduled these teams and don't want to have to re-do their contracted schedule.

- Cincinnati has upcoming BIG games against Purdue (2016), Michigan (2017), Ohio State (2019), Nebraska (2020 and 2025), and Indiana (2021 and 2022).
- UConn has upcoming BIG games against Illinois (2019 and 2020) and Indiana (2019 and 2020)
- Army doesn't have any scheduled, but you can expect an announcement soon.

Now with Cincinnati counting towards Purdue's P5 requirement in 2016, their schedule is done. So forget about that happening. Curiously, the BIG didn't create an exception for UCF. Which is relevant because right now Maryland's 2016 OOC is Howard, Florida International and UCF. Maybe Maryland will appeal for UCF counting as well, but if not Maryland might actually be our best option for 2016.

Baylor would still be ideal. They have only 4 home Big 12 games and their current OOC is Northwestern State, SMU and @Rice. If they wanted to cancel one of them to improve SOS BC would be available for any of those 3 dates. Plus, Baylor also needs P5 opponents in 2020 and 2021, which are other holes in BC's future P5 needs. A home-and-home would be mutually beneficial. If we're willing to go with only 6 home games next year (3 ACC, Buffalo, UMass and FCS), a home against BC seems much more attractive than @ Rice for Baylor next year.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:50 pm

Also, the BIG left the door open to counting other G5 teams on a case-by-case basis, supposedly based on recent RPI. Relevant teams include:

- USF: Maryland (2016), Illinois (2017 and 2018), Wisconsin (2019)
- UCF: Maryland (2016 and 2017)
- Boise: Michigan State (2022 and 2023)

There's more but I'm not looking it up. Basically, if the BIG is giving out exceptions you can forget about this new BIG scheduling requirement suddenly opening doors to Bates and his lazy scheduling strategy.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 24, 2015 2:54 pm

actually, he's probably at the acc offices now begging for similar treatment for the mac. he's already made some promises to all his old buddies and this would make it exponentially easier to schedule the annual "good for brad bates" game sometime shortly after the "good for new england" game
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:10 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:actually, he's probably at the acc offices now begging for similar treatment for the mac. he's already made some promises to all his old buddies and this would make it exponentially easier to schedule the annual "good for brad bates" game sometime shortly after the "good for new england" game

mac? you aim too high tyrant

bates is currently petitioning the acc to count multiple fcs programs into the p5 mandate
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:13 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:actually, he's probably at the acc offices now begging for similar treatment for the mac. he's already made some promises to all his old buddies and this would make it exponentially easier to schedule the annual "good for brad bates" game sometime shortly after the "good for new england" game

mac? you aim too high tyrant

bates is currently petitioning the acc to count multiple fcs programs into the p5 mandate

he's not looking for wins, empty-space-for-nospace. he's looking to give big payouts to his former peers
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Sep 24, 2015 3:51 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:empty-space-for-nospace

this is a good post and you should feel good about it
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby JD2011 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:03 am

What a courageous scheduling decision. I can hardly wait.
JD2011
n00b

Postby durkcal on Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:34 pm

What's wrong with this?

additions to current schedule:

2016 - at Florida , home vs Middle Tennessee State
2017 - at Middle Tennessee State
2018 - home vs Florida, at Ohio U Bobcats
2019 - home vs Memphis, home vs Ohio Bobcats
2020 - at UCLA, at Memphis, home vs Boise St
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:41 pm

durkcal {l Wrote}:What's wrong with this?

We have Notre Dame on our schedule for the next two years. With eight tough ACC games and Notre Dame, we don't need any more teams from the BCS leagues. Look at the schedules of others in the ACC, the Big East, or the SEC, and you will see similar names to some of the schools we play out of conference.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:40 pm

This schedule is a death march. It's not working for UVA
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby durkcal on Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:23 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

We have Notre Dame on our schedule for the next two years. With eight tough ACC games and Notre Dame, we don't need any more teams from the BCS leagues. Look at the schedules of others in the ACC, the Big East, or the SEC, and you will see similar names to some of the schools we play out of conference.

Notre Dame is not on the schedule for 2016. They are for 2017 and 2019. Our Non-conference schedule for 2016 is currently UMass and Buffalo. How is adding Florida and Middle Tennessee State a recipe of doom? I intentionally designed this schedule to have just ONE P5 non-conference school on the schedule each year. How is that too many? I would have thought people would say this schedule was too light. The whole reason this subject was created is because we ended up with the Howard game to replace New Mexico State. Now that we are going to bowl games every year, we should schedule more like that. Virginia last went to a bowl game in 2011, and that has little to do with schedule. Their team is terrible, and their coach will soon be fired.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:35 am

respect those who knew my answer was cut and pasted from a gene chat
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:34 pm

How timely! Blauds is chiming in on BC's 2016 schedule! http://ajerseyguy.com/?p=12760

The gist, according to Blauds and his ever-shrinking Rolodex, of course:
- BC working on filling out the 2016 schedule with an FCS and Florida International
- Currently expected BC home schedule for 2016: Clemson, Louisville, Syracuse, UMass, Buffalo, Florida International and random-FCS-filler).
- UMass, trying to orchestrate a little tit-for-tat to eventually have BC AND UConn on the schedule every year long-term, is pressuring Bates to hold off on FIU and instead...wait for it...for BC to take UMass's 2016 game against UConn, with UMass replacing UConn with FIU. In exchange for this kindness, UMass wants Bates to give them more games scheduled down the road.
- This would make BC's 2016 home schedule: Clemson, Louisville, Syracuse, UMass, Buffalo, UConn and an FCS. How very northeastern!
- UConn would create "more sizzle" for BC on the 2016 schedule.
- BC and UConn negotiating the details of a future series is holding things up.

Take it for what it's worth, but he posted it today. By the way, best part of the article is our noble journalist reaching out to Bates -- via text message -- and getting a boilerplate response: ""Everything is up in the air right now,” he said. ”Too early to know at this point.”"

Regardless of the comedy of the above-described negotiations, Blauds does seem pretty confident that BC is currently in the process of lining up FIU to fill out 2016. Seems like this might be the first "inside" source revealing the last piece of the 2016 puzzle. FIU! How exciting that will be...

:screamyeagle :lame :screamyeagle :lame :screamyeagle
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby StratEagle on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:39 pm

Butt-cut really knows how to give the people what they want huh
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:42 pm

I thought the Duck abuse jokes were actually funny before, but now that I laughed at butt cut I know I am just ready for a drink.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:47 pm

to the boneyard!!!!!!
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:48 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:to the boneyard!!!!!!

eek... that's where I stole this from...
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:52 pm

This goes continues.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:52 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:to the boneyard!!!!!!

eek... that's where I stole this from...

was that from their entire board dedicated to rumors of being invited to the big ten?
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:55 pm

I know I'm walking into another shit-storm here, but this would be a great deal. If we're going to schedule 2 G5's every year, 1 of them should be UConn or UMass. In fact, I'd be ok if we just alternate UConn and UMass for foreseeable future. At the very least it would prevent boring shit like Kent State, Northern Illinois and Colorado State from happening too often.

Bates, bite the bullet and just lock-it up. Push for 2:1:1's with two at Alumni, 1 at UMass/UConn, 1 at Foxboro/Fenway. (Without giving UConn 30K of Fenway for their "home game" of course. Even split at Fenway.) You'll face blowback, but 5 years from now it will be accepted.

(Flutie, Rouse, Obama, Playing UConn or UMass annually).
Last edited by dtwalrus on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium