What's your grade for Bates thru 2.75 years

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: What's your grade for Bates thru 2.75 years

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:08 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
Duke: H/H w Northwestern & Baylor
GT: H/H w Vandy & Ole Miss (on top of annual UGA game)
Miami: H/H w Mich St & Nebraska
UNC: H/H w Cal & SC (in addition to neutral games w UGA)
Pitt: H/H w Ped State, OK State & Tenn
Cuse: H/H w LSU, MD (?)
VT: H/H w Ped State, Michigan, Wisco, shit even Rutgres
Wake: H/H w Vandy & Ole Miss

Not sure about some of these but several of those games (both Duke games, both Miami games, Pitt/Ped,) were scheduled well before Bates got hired. Some aren't, most notably LSU/Cuse and UNC/Cal (Pitt/OK State was scheduled right around when Bates was hired). A couple of the games are also scheduled after 2020 like Va Tech/Rutgers, Pitt/Tenn, Wake/Ole Miss and Wake/Vandy and therefore probably aren't very relevant to the immediate issue.

I agree that the scheduling has been a failure, but in my opinion Flip is at least as much of the problem as Bates at present.

I note that fans elsewhere seem to be upset we didn't accept a 2 for 1 with Miss State, which I leave without comment.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:10 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i remember when beeker was a slam dunk/grand slam hire in the minds of people herein.

just saying...

I certainly never had this position. I think those that did like Teddy and Cadillac90 were disillusioned by the end of season 2.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:16 am

C+

Basketball gets an INC. JC has grown on me and I like his attitude and in-game coaching, but none of that matters if they keep going 4-14 in-conference. I don't know if the numbers back this up, but using they eyeball test, basketball attendance looked better this year than it did in previous years.

I give football a B+. Addazio was the right hire at the right time. He may not be the right guy for the job 3 years from now, but he was what this program needed coming off Spaz.

Facilities gets a D. The only reason I'm sparing him from a failing grade here is because the new screens in Alumni are nice (even though they broke during the Syracuse game). While I appreciate that Bates is not a greasy weasel like GDF, the way he plays things so close to the vest makes it seem like he isn't doing anything at all on this front. We get no details about an indoor practice facility or the baseball/softball stadiums. Bates personally promised some people who post here that bathrooms were going to be constructed in the upper end zone concourses. They haven't been. And it's insulting that they'll slap a new coat of paint on the Power Gym and tweet out the news like it's a major facilities upgrade.

Gameday experience is a C+. CAG and other Shea Field folks have every right to be upset, but I'm not as affected by that situation. My tailgating experience has remained unchanged. I fear the best we're ever gonna have it is those first two months where Bates was getting his feet wet and none of the post-game tailgating rules were being enforced. That was glorious. But Bates promised improvements to tailgating and hasn't delivered anything. As others have already mentioned, I believe this is because BC ultimately does not want tailgating at all. They simply live with it because folks are willing to pay so much for the privilege.

I was really happy that Bates instituted a single-game parking option, and I have already taken advantage of it multiple times. I also thought they did a great job keeping Conte Forum and the parking lots accessible through the awful winter we had (although failing to treat the ice in the upper end zone sections before the SU football game was surprising and disappointing).

During the beginning of Bates' tenure, the Team Opps and concession staff at Alumni and Conte Forum were friendly and helpful, but worker attitudes have since reverted to the way they were under Gene. The cops have sucked, but it's clear based on our experience during the transition that the cops are going to behave however they're ordered to behave. If someone in authority tells them to be hard-asses, they're going to be dicks. If someone in authority tells them to stand down, they leave us alone. Ultimately, I don't know who makes that call, but I suspect it comes from Bates' office.

While I wouldn't be upset if Bates left for a different job, I wouldn't like it because a new AD will want to hire their own coaches and the football and basketball programs need some stability. I guess I'm still luke-warm on him.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:19 am

UMass just signed a deal with MSU. 2 @ Miss State. 1 @ Foxborough.

And we are playing the dregs of the FCS. Bates needs to step this up.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:20 am

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i remember when beeker was a slam dunk/grand slam hire in the minds of people herein.

just saying...

I was okay with beeker, but that doesn't matter. You don't get fired for what you were when you were hired.

I tend to agree with 95% of the stuff you opine on, however, you were dead wrong with Beeker and the 25/12 thing on Anderson. Just sayin'

I was not wrong on Beeker. I wanted Al back, but thanks for playing. I was likewarm on Beeker like most people. He turned out to be terrible. Your hindsight is excellent.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:20 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:... Cadillac90 ...

suggesting mrs skinner supported beeker in any way is almost as laughable as you denying your homoerotic affair with a cardboard cutout of beeker
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:20 am

I don't know if anyone else went to the Miami basketball game this year but it was an enormous logistical nightmare. They postponed the game on its original date due to a snowstorm and then rescheduled it and made the new date free admission, but the Comm Ave Garage was closed and only the Beacon Street one was open, which got completely filled before tipoff, leading to the scenario that there was literally nowhere on campus or off to park (for a game where the stands were not even half full). I had to circle around the parking lot for 45 minutes waiting for someone to leave before I got a spot and there were plenty others who were stuck in the same predicament and who probably never got in (some who paid for the game surely as well). Absolute clownery and I blame Bates. :x
Then we lost the game because Heckmann missed a lay up. :shrug
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

just saying...

I was okay with beeker, but that doesn't matter. You don't get fired for what you were when you were hired.

I tend to agree with 95% of the stuff you opine on, however, you were dead wrong with Beeker and the 25/12 thing on Anderson. Just sayin'

I was not wrong on Beeker. I wanted Al back, but thanks for playing. I was likewarm on Beeker like most people. He turned out to be terrible. Your hindsight is excellent.

lies!

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4472&p=87534&hilit=hire#p87534
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:21 am

BC should not be playing Mississippi State OOC. Especially not for a 2 and 1 with no home game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:22 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:... Cadillac90 ...

suggesting mrs skinner supported beeker in any way is almost as laughable as you denying your homoerotic affair with a cardboard cutout of beeker

Since I know there is no way that you could go back and edit two years of posts, you've caught me in my own game.

Hey Ballgame, do you want to go make out?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:23 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

just saying...

lies!

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4472&p=87534&hilit=hire#p87534

Not sure how egging on what's his name makes me a liar, but okay.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:26 am

Just saying, we all post dumb shit from time to time. Some of us even agree with epstein.

http://eagleoutsider.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4254&p=83621&hilit=hire#p83621
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:58 am

All give him a C, but he is closer to a C- than a C+.

Dazoo is a B+ hire. Could be even a higher grade if he learned how to manage the clock.
Christian is INC, but trending to a C+. Good game coach, but BFD... basketball is all about recruiting. He been passable on that front, but nothing that is going to change our fortunes.

Scheduling, Gameday, facilities and the like... D. Has not improved any of these things.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:00 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Basketball:
- Fan Experience: B+. Good moves with changing the student section seating and implementing a loyalty program among the students to improve attendance. Only so much we can do with unexciting, bad basketball and nerdification.

All this tells me is you havent gone to a game in years. Student attendance has worsened
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:02 pm

The causal connection between student attendance and the mystical powers of the AD is lacking. Same goes for Gameday Experience.

Excuses for facilities are a different story.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:04 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
- Fan Experience: B+. Good moves with changing the student section seating and implementing a loyalty program among the students to improve attendance. Only so much we can do with unexciting, bad basketball and nerdification.

All this tells me is you havent gone to a game in years. Student attendance has worsened

I blame that more on the perpetual suck of the team.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:05 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

This.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:09 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

gone to a game? even from a television in tobaccoroad i can tell that student attendance has worsened.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:09 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Hey Ballgame, do you want to go make out?

wrong board :bored
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:12 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:I'm jealous, I miss Chris Huang :orca
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:13 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

This is solid Brad Bates effort here, in the face of TRE's Addazio effort.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC should not be playing Mississippi State OOC. Especially not for a 2 and 1 with no home game.

Why not? I would love to play them. We shouldn't do a 2 and 1 with any team.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

This is solid Brad Bates effort here, in the face of TRE's Addazio effort.

#dude
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:31 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC should not be playing Mississippi State OOC. Especially not for a 2 and 1 with no home game.

Why not? I would love to play them. We shouldn't do a 2 and 1 with any team.

If they are the only top OOC team on the schedule, fine. But if it is a year BC has ND already, aim a little lower than the SEC. It's a travesty that this isn't locked up, but compounding the mistake by getting molested is not a great solution.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:36 pm

And by locking it up in advance, I mean shit like getting Ohio State on the schedule for 2023 and 2024, which Bates did. We all crapped on gdf when he got USC on the schedule 10 years ago when they were winning titles and look what happened.

The schedule for this year and next kind of sucks. That's on the last AD. Plugging in Miss State is not the solution. Scheduling better opponents in advance is the solution. Northern Illinois is a good schedule. ND is booked for 3 of the next 5 years. OSU is booked 8 years out.

Holy Cross, on the other hand is an epic joke.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:43 pm

wasn't osu scheduled by the greasy one?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

This.

yes, but he insinuated that a reason he got high marks in that area was because of his attempt to improve attendance when in fact it has worsened.

oh, and gene got OSU on the schedule. bates moved it further down the road. we were initially on their books for 18/19 or so
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:56 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:wasn't osu scheduled by the greasy one?

I don't remember, but either way, it was a good scheduling. That's how you get opponents like that to agree to play dangerous non-conference games - way in advance.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:57 pm

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:58 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:oh, and gene got OSU on the schedule. bates moved it further down the road. we were initially on their books for 18/19 or so

No, Bates landed it for 20/21 and moved it to 22/23
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium