Recruiting Classes and Addazio's reputation

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Recruiting Classes and Addazio's reputation

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:31 pm

For the record, big fan of the Robinson signing, but Wade is by far the best QB "recruit" that BC has brought in over two years.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:For the record, big fan of the Robinson signing, but Wade is by far the best QB "recruit" that BC has brought in over two years.

but he hasn't played yet so really we all just need to wade and see...

don't forget, the qb job is still troy flutie's to lose
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:40 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:For the record, big fan of the Robinson signing, but Wade is by far the best QB "recruit" that BC has brought in over two years.

but he hasn't played yet so really we all just need to wade and see...

don't forget, the qb job is still troy flutie's to lose

He hasn't played yet, but if he had, we wouldn't have seen enough, like we clearly have with the class that is signing tomorrow.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:55 pm

Addazio's rep as a recruiter isn't just about closing on kids while at Florida (which is a totally different ball game than recruiting at BC). His rep is more in line with guys like Ed Orgeron, Al Golden and a few others who just like to recruit. They like meeting kids and coaches. They like the talking and texting. They like the competitive aspect of it. It doesn't mean they are always the greatest talent evaluators or the greatest closers. It just means that there is a relentlessness to it that usually produces good results. If you look at Jamie Silva as an example, Addazio was all over him while he was at Indiana. He didn't close because Jamie wanted to play close to home, but Addazio easily put in the most time on the kid.

I would say Addazio is the first head coach we've had that likes recruiting.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:37 pm

I'm super happy that we have some more athletes coming in who can play in the secondary. the last 4 years of pass defense have been touch to watch.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:43 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:I'm super happy that we have some more athletes coming in who can play in the secondary.

*eagerly awaiting eepstein's response*
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:45 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:I would say Addazio is the first head coach we've had that likes recruiting.

What? You thought recruiting William Green was easy???
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby flakes on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:47 pm

All I'm saying is that some of you are wondering where Addazio's recruiting skills are. He's pulled some solid classes but this isn't Florida during their National Championship run. It's a different ballgame. And you guys are also throwing around the word elite. We've NEVER had an elite class. When's the last top 20 class we had? No one likes to bring back shades of TOB, but there's a recruiting ceiling here. Maybe not a success ceiling, but usually those two go hand in hand. So for my money, I want a solid class of contributors that maybe turns into the defense we had with Matty Ice and gives us a legitimate shot of competing.

Tyler Murphy is the first true playmaker we've had in a long time…maybe since Will Green.

As for Hilliman, I wish Outlow was our feature back. He's more diverse and talented.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:56 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:All I'm saying is that some of you are wondering where Addazio's recruiting skills are. He's pulled some solid classes but this isn't Florida during their National Championship run. It's a different ballgame. And you guys are also throwing around the word elite. We've NEVER had an elite class. When's the last top 20 class we had? No one likes to bring back shades of TOB, but there's a recruiting ceiling here. Maybe not a success ceiling, but usually those two go hand in hand. So for my money, I want a solid class of contributors that maybe turns into the defense we had with Matty Ice and gives us a legitimate shot of competing.

Tyler Murphy is the first true playmaker we've had in a long time…maybe since Will Green.

As for Hilliman, I wish Outlow was our feature back. He's more diverse and talented.

You are a typing non sequitur. No one said elite classes, they said elite recruits.

Tyler Murphy was a 2 star recruit. You're all over the place and yet not on point.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:58 pm

flakes - aliass or 2016 EO Asshat candidate? You decide.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:59 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:flakes - aliass or 2016 EO Asshat candidate? You decide.

I think he is actually real. Ask him whether Outlow was an elite recruit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Hey flakes, was Outlow an elite recruit?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:01 pm

It's pretty funny however, how he reads everything the opposite of what it says, like how he interpreted the initial question "where does Addazio get his recruiting reputation from?" to mean "where are Addazio's recruiting skills?" or how he just turned "elite recruit" into "elite class." Good shit. Based on this I'm more inclined to go Reif than alias.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:09 pm

I don't know if this has any impact on what you guys are talking about (as I don't really understand what's going on in this thread other than thinly veiled critiques and defenses of Dazoo's recruiting)... but, I believe Daz spent time at ND and Cuse before Florida and earned his reputation as a recruiter on those stops. His time at Florida just cemented his reputation.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:58 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:flakes - aliass or 2016 EO Asshat candidate? You decide.

I really don't think rktbrkr or branchinator knows how to create an aliass.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:02 pm

I agree that this year's class of freshman was a good sign for Daz's talent evaluation. My biggest concern is that the guys who played and looked good were by and large the best recruits by whatever metric you choose (stars/other offers) - Hilliman, Outlow, Landry. Alston was the exception but everyone thought he was good, his concern was just height. For the current recruiting class, no one is as well regarded as any of Outlow, Hilliman, or Landry.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:02 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I really don't think rktbrkr or branchinator knows how to create an aliass.

it's more difficult to create an aliass now that we have no active golden names to complete registration of new screen names.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:09 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:My biggest concern is that the guys who played and looked good were by and large the best recruits by whatever metric you choose (stars/other offers) - Hilliman, Outlow, Landry.

While I agree with you overall, is it really a concern that only a few guys in a class were so good that they had an instant impact? I see that as a good indicator, not a bad one. I get that there were a lot of chances for freshmen, but a lot of them played and played pretty well, beyond these 4 guys.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:27 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:My biggest concern is that the guys who played and looked good were by and large the best recruits by whatever metric you choose (stars/other offers) - Hilliman, Outlow, Landry.

While I agree with you overall, is it really a concern that only a few guys in a class were so good that they had an instant impact? I see that as a good indicator, not a bad one. I get that there were a lot of chances for freshmen, but a lot of them played and played pretty well, beyond these 4 guys.

Alston
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:35 pm

It would take a miracle, total corruption or a change to all the ranking formulas for BC ever to crack the Top 20 of the recruiting services. They are biased towards certain coaches, biased towards certain teams, biased towards certain regions, and biased towards larger classes. The best BC recruiting class of Rivals era was 2003 and ranked 24th. That class contained Ryan, Peterson, Callender, Challenger, Cherilus, Dunbar, Glasper, Larkin, Poles, Pruitt, Tribble and Whitworth. That class contained two first round draft picks (Ryan and Cherilus). Two all americans (Ryan, Silva). Two starting QBs who combined won close to 80% of their starts (Peterson, Ryan). That is a Top 10 class, not 24. And one of the only reasons it broke into the Top 25 was because of a guy who never came to BC in Dorien Bryant.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:37 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Alston

That's why I said 4.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:51 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Alston

That's why I said 4.

I also mentioned Alston in the next sentence.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:03 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Alston

That's why I said 4.

I also mentioned Alston in the next sentence.

You guys are forgetting about Alston.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:27 pm

I have always been of the belief that the rankings are skewered towards the factories. For instance if Bc signs a kid who is a 3star, he will stay a 3 star. If ND signs him, a lot of those kids will get bumped to 4 stars, just because ND signed him. I usually look at a recruits other offers in evaluating where he should be ranked as an incoming freshman. The following is a review of other offers that our recruits had. It continues to stun me every year how many BC recruits have so few other power five offers: Here goes:

RECRUITS WITH MULTIPLE POWER 5 OFFERS:

1. Zach Allen: Great flip by Dazz. Other offers: UConn, NW, Pitt, Rutg, Syr, Ucla, UVA.

2. Mehdi El Attrach: Other offers: Duke, Louisville, NW, Rutg, Syr, Wake

3.Tanner Karafa: Other offers: Kentucky, UVA, VT

4. Wyatt Knopfke : Other offers: Kentucky, Miami, UCF

5. Jimmy Martin: Other offers: Cincy, Duke, S. Fla.

6. Wyatt Ray:(nice hold by Dazz) Other offers: Indiana, Louisville, Minny, Cincy, Syr, WF

7. Elijah Robinson: other offers: Cincy, UConn, MSU, Nebraska, Rutgers, UVA

8. Michael Walker: Other offers: Arizona, S. Fla, UCF.

9. Chris Garrison: other offers: Maryland, Syracuse

RECRUITS WITH ONE OTHER POWER FIVE OFFER:

10. Nolan Borgensen: Maryland. Also, Buffalo, Delaware, Maine, Monmouth, UNH, Temple

11. Jake Burt: UVA

12.Sharrieff Grice: Rutgers: Also, Fordham, Umass, UNH

13.Aaron Monteiro: Iowa: Also, UConn, Umass

14. Anthony Palazzolo: Pitt: Also, UConn.

15.Jeff Smith: Wisconsin, Also, Akron, Army

RECRUITS WITH NO OTHER POWER 5 OFFERS:

16. Lukas Denis: Holy Cross, Umass

17. Ben Glines: Akron, Toledo, W. Mich

18.Jordan Gowens: Stony Brook, Toledo

19. William Harris: UConn, Old Dominion

20. Davon Jones: no other offers

21. Chris Lidstrom: Old Dominion

22:Chase Pankey: Ball State, Marshall

23: John Philipps: no other offers

24: Ray Smith: SD St, Air Force, Navy

25: Taj Amir Torres: UConn, Umass.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:33 pm

I enjoyed the "skewered" malapropism. Made me think of shish kabob.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:48 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:It would take a miracle, total corruption or a change to all the ranking formulas for BC ever to crack the Top 20 of the recruiting services. They are biased towards certain coaches, biased towards certain teams, biased towards certain regions, and biased towards larger classes. The best BC recruiting class of Rivals era was 2003 and ranked 24th. That class contained Ryan, Peterson, Callender, Challenger, Cherilus, Dunbar, Glasper, Larkin, Poles, Pruitt, Tribble and Whitworth. That class contained two first round draft picks (Ryan and Cherilus). Two all americans (Ryan, Silva). Two starting QBs who combined won close to 80% of their starts (Peterson, Ryan). That is a Top 10 class, not 24. And one of the only reasons it broke into the Top 25 was because of a guy who never came to BC in Dorien Bryant.

this.

think about who actually buys recruiting mags/services. BC alums? or people who have adopted BAMA as their team whilst attending U of Phoenix..

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:20 pm

Our friend Urban Meyer was trying to flip Wade at the last second. Saying he isn't an elite recruit is insane.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:15 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I have always been of the belief that the rankings are skewered towards the factories. For instance if Bc signs a kid who is a 3star, he will stay a 3 star. If ND signs him, a lot of those kids will get bumped to 4 stars, just because ND signed him. I usually look at a recruits other offers in evaluating where he should be ranked as an incoming freshman. The following is a review of other offers that our recruits had. It continues to stun me every year how many BC recruits have so few other power five offers: Here goes:

1. Zach Allen: Great flip by Dazz. Other offers: UConn, NW, Pitt, Rutg, Syr, Ucla, UVA.

6. Wyatt Ray:(nice hold by Dazz) Other offers: Indiana, Louisville, Minny, Cincy, Syr, WF

10. Nolan Borgensen: Maryland. Also, Buffalo, Delaware, Maine, Monmouth, UNH, Temple

It's worth mentioning that many people were extremely high on Gowins before his senior season. Said that the SEC would come calling with a strong senior season, but he got injured. There's a reason we took him in so early in the process and truly didn't recruit another.

EDIT: Found an example

Todderick Hunt ‏@TodderickHunt Apr 3

Congrats 2 Jordan Gowins @Destined_23 on his commitment 2 #BostonCollege. If he'd played in a football state, he'd have 20 offers by now.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Bunratty on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:47 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I have always been of the belief that the rankings are skewered towards the factories. For instance if Bc signs a kid who is a 3star, he will stay a 3 star. If ND signs him, a lot of those kids will get bumped to 4 stars, just because ND signed him. I usually look at a recruits other offers in evaluating where he should be ranked as an incoming freshman. The following is a review of other offers that our recruits had. It continues to stun me every year how many BC recruits have so few other power five offers: Here goes:

Nice breakdown. However, UConn, UCF, S. Florida and Cincy are not P5 schools.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:52 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:RECRUITS WITH NO OTHER POWER 5 OFFERS:

This class will ultimately be determined by this group. In my opinion, some of the lost promising recruits are represented above (specifically, Torres, Smith, Phillips, Lindstrom and Gowins). Thus, I'm more bullish on this class than most.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium