Recruiting Classes and Addazio's reputation

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Recruiting Classes and Addazio's reputation

Postby eagletx on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:14 am

ESPN Top 40 classes include 9 ACC teams (if we include ND in the mix). Alas, no BC.

So as a honest question, does Addazio's rep for recruiting result from landing reputed quality on LOI day, or does it come from mining players that don't create a stir on LOI day, but prove to be quality players in real time? Again, I'm asking about how Addazio developed a rep as an ace recruiter.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Re: Recruiting Classes and Addazio's reputation

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:33 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:ESPN Top 40 classes include 9 ACC teams (if we include ND in the mix). Alas, no BC.

So as a honest question, does Addazio's rep for recruiting result from landing reputed quality on LOI day, or does it come from mining players that don't create a stir on LOI day, but prove to be quality players in real time? Again, I'm asking about how Addazio developed a rep as an ace recruiter.

I think the answer to your "honest question" is that Daz's rep as a ace recruiter comes from snagging great talent while working as an assistant for Meyer at Florida, regardless of LOI Day.

The answer to the subtext of your question -- in particular the "disappointment" of this year's class -- is that right now BC is far from Florida. This is a very solid recruiting class considering that right now the national perception of BC is a ACC-basement-dweller, with second-rate facilities and an indifferent fan base where 35K showing up to a home game is an accomplishment. A very solid recruiting class considering that.

These things take time. Consistently competing for the Atlantic, drawing good crowds consistently, making some headlines with some marquee wins. If the progress continues on the field and in the stands the progress will continue with recruiting. Daz is capable of great things on the recruiting trail, he just needs a bit more to work with to take it to the next level. Patience...

Also, try to remember that a lot of these recruits have been deciding what kind of school they want to go to for years. Before even taking the field as a high school freshman these kids are already dreaming of what college they might go to. Remember that. And then imagine the recruiting class of '15 as high school freshman dreaming of playing college ball, 4 years ago...when Spaz was crashing the ship. Luckily, that's changing.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:53 am

My eyes tells me that Addazio and staff have a pretty good feel for talent. Look at the frosh last year that came in and contributed right away. They are not the 4 and 5 star hauls we're hoping for, but I think his recruiting success will look a little bit different from what it looked like at Florida. Not to go all "we are what we are" on you, but we aren't going to get the same # of blue chips that a state school in the SEC thats winning National championships does. Doesn't mean we can't start pulling in more higher end talent in the near future, it just looks different is all.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:56 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
eagletx {l Wrote}:ESPN Top 40 classes include 9 ACC teams (if we include ND in the mix). Alas, no BC.

I think the answer to your "honest question" is that Daz's rep as a ace recruiter comes from snagging great talent while working as an assistant for Meyer at Florida, regardless of LOI Day.

The answer to the subtext of your question -- in particular the "disappointment" of this year's class -- is that right now BC is far from Florida. This is a very solid recruiting class considering that right now the national perception of BC is a ACC-basement-dweller, with second-rate facilities and an indifferent fan base where 35K showing up to a home game is an accomplishment. A very solid recruiting class considering that.

These things take time. Consistently competing for the Atlantic, drawing good crowds consistently, making some headlines with some marquee wins. If the progress continues on the field and in the stands the progress will continue with recruiting. Daz is capable of great things on the recruiting trail, he just needs a bit more to work with to take it to the next level. Patience...

Also, try to remember that a lot of these recruits have been deciding what kind of school they want to go to for years. Before even taking the field as a high school freshman these kids are already dreaming of what college they might go to. Remember that. And then imagine the recruiting class of '15 as high school freshman dreaming of playing college ball, 4 years ago...when Spaz was crashing the ship. Luckily, that's changing.

Thanks for telling me what I mean to say, but no, you're wrong. I never expected BC to have a top 40 recruiting class at this point, at least not until he strung 3-5 successful (bowl?) years together, as above all else, success breeds success. Just like at Florida.

So back to the question that I really asked, and maybe no one here followed Addazio's history closely enough to answer. Let me restate my question so as not to impugn your expertise: I am of the impression that he has a reputation as a good recruiter. My question is: Is that reputation based on landing high rated talent (while competing against marquee programs while he was at Florida), or in an ability to develop talent that was not evidenced by the star system?

An example might be Al Skinner (or someone on his staff, I'm not sure which) who seemed to recognize the "diamond in the rough" players who turned out to be quite talented in reality.I would say that is good recruiting, but certainly not from the perspective of having landed a top 40 class at LOI time.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby Bunratty on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:33 am

Daz's rep as a recruiter is mostly based on his ability to recruit elite talent while at Florida.
Bunratty
McGuinn Hall

Postby EagleDave on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:34 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Thanks for telling me what I mean to say, but no, you're wrong. I never expected BC to have a top 40 recruiting class at this point, at least not until he strung 3-5 successful (bowl?) years together, as above all else, success breeds success. Just like at Florida.

So back to the question that I really asked, and maybe no one here followed Addazio's history closely enough to answer. Let me restate my question so as not to impugn your expertise: I am of the impression that he has a reputation as a good recruiter. My question is: Is that reputation based on landing high rated talent (while competing against marquee programs while he was at Florida), or in an ability to develop talent that was not evidenced by the star system?

An example might be Al Skinner (or someone on his staff, I'm not sure which) who seemed to recognize the "diamond in the rough" players who turned out to be quite talented in reality.I would say that is good recruiting, but certainly not from the perspective of having landed a top 40 class at LOI time.

The Dazzler was known as a closer at UF. They recruited highly sought after kids, so that's who he closed on.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:41 am

eagletx {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

He is known as a good recruiter because: (1) he is locked in to the Connecticut HS scene having coached there, thus allowing him to land Aaron Hernandez and that QB that turned into a TE that is now with the Redskins - Jordan Reed, and of course sleeper Tyler Murphy; and (2) because he landed other talent like Patchan (a 5 star) and Silberman and Halapio (lineman with the Broncos that was drafted by Pats), including other big names from the Northeast like Sharriff Floyd, Dominique Easley, Justin Trattou, Brandon Beal, Will Hill. Charlie Strong and Stan Drayton had a lot to do with the talent there, but Addazio was really big landing guys as well.

He was particularly appealing to BC because of the last few names, all guys with whom BC was heavily involved but could not land. To me, Hilliman is a guy that is a part of that group, and success there shows it is working.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:01 pm

i think addazzio has done a good job w recruiting on the whole.

and not so much on the starzzzz as i dont pay attention to that....i saw a lot of players he's recruited come in and have some pretty strong immediate impacts
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:07 pm

Good info. Thanks. So, he was recruiting head to head with other elite programs for the elite talent. I'm all the more pleased then, because his eye for talent that may escape other's notice seems pretty sharp too, given the production from young kids he has brought into BC.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:12 pm

When you think about it, the list of names that Addazio landed from the Northeast is like a "who's who" of the limited number of top line recruits up here. Ironically, three of the biggest names - Hill, Floyd and Easley, were on defense.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:14 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:... Ironically...

you sure about that???
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:18 pm

This class, from a depth perspective is rather unprecedented. Pretty much no fliers and everyone is pretty well regarded (not elite, but talented guys who other high majors at least kept tabs on if they didn't offer).
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:18 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

you sure about that???

Actually, I'm positive I used it incorrectly, ironically
Last edited by twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:19 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

you sure about that???

*sigh*
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:27 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:This class, from a depth perspective is rather unprecedented. Pretty much no fliers and everyone is pretty well regarded (not elite, but talented guys who other high majors at least kept tabs on if they didn't offer).

This is why I'm so pleased with this class. It just feels like he's established a new bare-minimum, which is across the board solid. If you're into stars, I think everyone has 3 stars from at least one of the recruiting sites. No more desperation place-filler recruits.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:31 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:This class, from a depth perspective is rather unprecedented. Pretty much no fliers and everyone is pretty well regarded (not elite, but talented guys who other high majors at least kept tabs on if they didn't offer).

This is why I'm so pleased with this class. It just feels like he's established a new bare-minimum, which is across the board solid. If you're into stars, I think everyone has 3 stars from at least one of the recruiting sites. No more desperation place-filler recruits.

The state of BC recruiting had two deficiencies: (1) not enough depth in the program, likely from too many fliers over the years; and (2) not enough top end talent. The last two classes have addressed the first issue, but this year's class (unlike last year's) feels like it did not do enough with respect to the second issue. Although I have defended this on a number of occasions as being due in part to the need to recruit a ton of Olinemen, and the fact that BC did extremely well at the skill positions last season, where more guys tend to get rated higher.

Wilkins was a miss. One or two recruits of his ilk, and this could have been a great class. But the late flip certainly solidified as a good one, top to bottom, that addressed needs on the lines and in depth with more athletes.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:35 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

The state of BC recruiting had two deficiencies: (1) not enough depth in the program, likely from too many fliers over the years; and (2) not enough top end talent. The last two classes have addressed the first issue, but this year's class (unlike last year's) feels like it did not do enough with respect to the second issue. Although I have defended this on a number of occasions as being due in part to the need to recruit a ton of Olinemen, and the fact that BC did extremely well at the skill positions last season, where more guys tend to get rated higher.

Wilkins was a miss. One or two recruits of his ilk, and this could have been a great class. But the late flip certainly solidified as a good one, top to bottom, that addressed needs on the lines and in depth with more athletes.

Part of that too is that the program is still mired in mediocrity. It's going to take time (and a lot more winning) before upper tier recruits start seriously looking at BC.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:38 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

Part of that too is that the program is still mired in mediocrity. It's going to take time (and a lot more winning) before upper tier recruits start seriously looking at BC.

Flip side of this is asking the question how many of these recruits are rated highly because they were identified by Addazio? By the end of Skinner's tenure, anyone he looked at was automatically a 3 star athlete. Same was true at the end of TOB. I am of the belief that much of the star ranking system is based on whether identified "recruiters" are looking at the athletes and how hard.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:43 pm

You guys are nuts. I could get a bunch of 4 and 5 stars to come to Florida. This year's BC class, while not elite, is definitely the best/deepest we've had in a LONG time. I'd love more speed, but those guys don't come here -- unless it's an Alston type who is tiny and under-recruited.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:45 pm

The idea that BC can't get any elite athletes is idiotic and belied by last year's recruiting class. Keep on believing the shit TOB fed you for 10 years.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:48 pm

I am not going on what TOB says, I am going on the list of the last 20 classes.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:50 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:I am not going on what TOB says, I am going on the list of the last 20 classes.

This class is not as good as last class, which had several elite athletes in it that BC can't get. So I only need to go back one year.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:55 pm

Who are those guys? Hilliman is not a game-breaker, he's a bruiser that averaged 4 yards a carry. I just think this year's class is much deeper than last year in terms of guys who will contribute.
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:58 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:Who are those guys? Hilliman is not a game-breaker, he's a bruiser that averaged 4 yards a carry. I just think this year's class is much deeper than last year in terms of guys who will contribute.

A football player can't be an elite recruit if they are a bruising back? Hilliman was an elite recruit. As was Landry. As was Wade, who was an elite 11 QB camp candidate. And Outlow.

I already addressed the depth issue, it's pretty similar to last year's class. I only said it didn't have the top line talent.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flakes on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:05 pm

We don't know if Landry will be a contributor yet. Wade and Outlow were 3 stars…Wade btw was offered by Delaware, UMASS and Bucknell. I think your definition of elite is different than mine. Jeff Smith may ultimately be our QB. I like what Daz is doing by making the guys he takes fliers on at least be guys who have speed - Alston, Torres
flakes
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:14 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:We don't know if Landry will be a contributor yet. Wade and Outlow were 3 stars…Wade btw was offered by Delaware, UMASS and Bucknell.

and Nebraska
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:14 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:Who are those guys? Hilliman is not a game-breaker, he's a bruiser that averaged 4 yards a carry.

This is the stupidest post in a long time, including anything by branchinator.
Last edited by eagle9903 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:14 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:We don't know if Landry will be a contributor yet. Wade and Outlow were 3 stars…Wade btw was offered by Delaware, UMASS and Bucknell. I think your definition of elite is different than mine. Jeff Smith may ultimately be our QB. I like what Daz is doing by making the guys he takes fliers on at least be guys who have speed - Alston, Torres

Wade also had offers from Nebraska and Syracuse and NC State while also commiting very early in the process. I wouldn't necessarily call Wade elite, but to attribute his value to offers from Bucknell and UMass is incorrect. He was a very good recruit. Also, let's remember that both Smith and Robinson got bigger offers, but it was to come in as an athlete, not a pure QB as Wade was.

As for Outlow, at least according to Mike Dimauro (BC grad who covers sports in that area of CT) Outlows offer list was just as elite as Hillimans and he was only a 3* because he was coming out of CT, which last year was especially down vs Hillaman who came out of a football rich state and a national power program.
Last edited by BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:20 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:We don't know if Landry will be a contributor yet. Wade and Outlow were 3 stars…Wade btw was offered by Delaware, UMASS and Bucknell. I think your definition of elite is different than mine. Jeff Smith may ultimately be our QB. I like what Daz is doing by making the guys he takes fliers on at least be guys who have speed - Alston, Torres

Your standards for judging recruiting are all over the map, and thus cannot be addressed. So far you have asserted:

1) Hilliman is not a top recruit because he has played as a frosh and he only gained 4 yards a carry.

2) Landry is not a top recruit because, despite playing a lot on the two deep as a true freshman, you don't know that he will be a contributor yet.

3) Shifting gears, Wade and Outlow are not top recruits because they missed being a 4 star on ESPN by two points and one point, respectively.

4) Wade is also not a top recruit because he committed early and thus only claimed shitty programs (which was wrong).

I'm sure 4-star Strachan is not a top recruit by one of these shifting paradigms. I'm going with the "we don't know yet because he only was on the two-deep as a freshman".
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:23 pm

flakes {l Wrote}:Who are those guys? Hilliman is not a game-breaker, he's a bruiser that averaged 4 yards a carry. I just think this year's class is much deeper than last year in terms of guys who will contribute.

Your criticism of Hilliman is comical.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium