Ryan Day

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Ryan Day

Postby DrJackRyan on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:23 am

Charlie Stevenson?

Go Hawks!
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:24 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:also i know im probably not the first on record, but giving chip kelly this extra power as head of player personnel will be his downfall i think

Definitely not the first.

Volunteering to drive day to the airport to insure he gets in that fucking plane.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:26 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:I'm guessing we get someone underwhelming, cheap and shitty.

nodding
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:26 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:also i know im probably not the first on record, but giving chip kelly this extra power as head of player personnel will be his downfall i think

Volunteering to drive day to the airport to insure he gets in that fucking plane.

you dont like an offensive lineman throwing to a qb after jamming the ball down the defenses throat for 70 yards with the game on the line against the #1 team in the country?!?

you dont like spending 6 weeks preparing to not use our most dynamic player on offense?!?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:26 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:Where is the party and what can I bring?

Wasn't a fan when he was brought back with the Dazzler, but he worked out okay provided the team didn't get it self into any tight games. Then the Penn State game happened and sealed the need for him to move on.

Good riddance.

Setting aside not getting Alston involved, what is your complaint with the bowl game?

It's a miracle this offense was as good as it was playing with OLinemen as WRs

there were certainly times this year he made me want to :suicide (over reliance on hilliman, disappearing of sherm, etc.)

but in his 2 years w daz here he had the 2nd & 3rd most points per game at BC in the last decade. that's after inheriting an offense that posted the 3 lowest points per game in the last decade.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:46 am

Well, he's probably more likely to fail than succeed in the long run like all coaches and this is a point in time. So yes, in the more likely than not scenario he doesn't win a Superbowl, I think there will probably be a narrative that personnel control was his downfall even if it was actually something else or most likely lots of other things.

He has not made friends with the local beat writers and some of them are Mo'Jish in their need to be involved in the story. They will trot out the personnel control on an hourly basis until something shuts them up.

Most notably as far as reasons more likely than personnel control to be his downfall, he inherited a QB who is more likely than not, incapable of winning a Superbowl despite the system without some other extreme situation, like an elite defense. The team has a lot of talent, but has major holes including most notably 3/4 of a defensive secondary, an elite starting QB and depth at WR (possibly self imposed depending on your thoughts on Desean Jackson). It's going to be almost impossible for them to improve the QB situation outside of stupid luck. It is conceivable that Foles can be the guy, but I think it takes a lot of aligning of the stars and I think the NFC is too good right now for a Foles led team to win it.

The only truly (potentially) glaring personnel issues of his tenure so far have been: the terrible 1st rd pick last year and its not clear if that was him or Howie Roseman's doing, cutting Desean Jackson without getting an adequate replacement and if you are a dick, trotting out Bradley Fletcher for a second year (you'd be a dick because there weren't a ton of good CB options out there and he wasn't horrible during the 2013 season).

The good moves (could be Howie) are:

1) in draft: Lane Johnson, Zach Ertz, Bennie Logan, Jordan Matthews, Beau Allen (15 snaps/ at NG in 7th rd is good pick) and I think eventually Josh Huff; and
2) in FA/Trade: Sproles, Jenkins, ST guys, Parkey, Barwin

(TRE, does this work for you, CAG, I'm being intentionally oversirizuz, please feel free to respond in kind)
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:47 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:I'm guessing we get someone underwhelming, cheap and shitty.

nodding

there is little doubt, but first lets make sure we trot out unrealistic candidates with obscure ties to the school or coaches to get expectations set.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:48 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:He has not made friends with the local beat writers and some of them are Mo'Jish in their need to be involved in the story. They will trot out the personnel control on an hourly basis until something shuts them up.

May I suggest the topic of deflated footballs?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:01 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

you dont like an offensive lineman throwing to a qb after jamming the ball down the defenses throat for 70 yards with the game on the line against the #1 team in the country?!?

you dont like spending 6 weeks preparing to not use our most dynamic player on offense?!?

Did you and TWB go out drinking last night?

This screams of anyone is better than Chris Crane
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:27 am

Favorite BCI comment so far:

Do you think this gives Flutie a better chance to start?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:32 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

nodding

there is little doubt, but first lets make sure we trot out unrealistic candidates with obscure ties to the school or coaches to get expectations set.

While I don't think we can match the money, I think it would be worth while to reach out to Dan Mulln (from NH) to see if he'd be interested in coming home for the OC gig. After all, Mullen and Daz did work together previously at Florida.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Wasn't a fan when he was brought back with the Dazzler, but he worked out okay provided the team didn't get it self into any tight games. Then the Penn State game happened and sealed the need for him to move on.

Good riddance.

Setting aside not getting Alston involved, what is your complaint with the bowl game?

With the 21-7 lead he might as well have slapped a turtle shell on Murphy every drive the rest of the game. He started trying to shorten the game with roughly 18 minutes left praying the clock would run out.

I predict we all we see the next OC doing something very similar and then folks will realize that the man who makes such strategic choices is still on campus (except when he is doing an ESPN car wash).

Sadly I agree with HJS here

Warning- I'm not trying to go full HJS, you never go full HJS.

We all know that Daz has a conservative approach to play calling. There's hours of tape from UF and Temple to prove that. So it is most likely that Day was following his orders in many of the situations where this board was driven nuts by the playing not to lose strategy. But what if Daz would have been even more conservative without Day to push him away from that? Day was not trained to run an offense that way. My fear is that if BC elevates Fitch or hires some nobody, the offense will get even more vanilla.

That is mostly my BC/mets fan paranoia talking. But I am concerned. The other key is recruiting. day was doing a good job. We've had too many old, dead weight coordinators who don't have the energy for recruiting. This can't be a Joe Jones situation.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:45 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

i just know whos coming in

hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Not really.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:35 am

25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Another name that someone on ATL's comment section brought up is John Hevesy. Co-Offensive Coordinator (with Billy Gonzales who is an ace recruiter)/Off Line/Running Game Coord at Mississippi State.

From Madison, Connecticut. Played at Maine. Was a GA at Syracuse when Addazio was there and was TE/OL coach at Florida from 05-08 with Addazio. In his early 40's. Looks like he has primarily recruited the southeast region and primarily the OL position.

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20141008/madisons-john-hevesy-of-mississippi-state-climbing-college-coaching-ranks

We could only get him if he wants to come home. We are not topping his current comp. He's making 300k base plus, car, shoe, camp and bowl bonuses. I'm guessing total comp is 500k. 500k in Starkville Ms goes a lot further than it would in Boston.

Any idea on what Day's comp was?

And was it paid in EagleBucks?
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:37 am

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Another name that someone on ATL's comment section brought up is John Hevesy. Co-Offensive Coordinator (with Billy Gonzales who is an ace recruiter)/Off Line/Running Game Coord at Mississippi State.

From Madison, Connecticut. Played at Maine. Was a GA at Syracuse when Addazio was there and was TE/OL coach at Florida from 05-08 with Addazio. In his early 40's. Looks like he has primarily recruited the southeast region and primarily the OL position.

http://www.nhregister.com/sports/20141008/madisons-john-hevesy-of-mississippi-state-climbing-college-coaching-ranks

We could only get him if he wants to come home. We are not topping his current comp. He's making 300k base plus, car, shoe, camp and bowl bonuses. I'm guessing total comp is 500k. 500k in Starkville Ms goes a lot further than it would in Boston.

I heard his comp was pretty good because they gave him the money they saved printing up his playbook.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:
25GeraldRd {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I heard his comp was pretty good because they gave him the money they saved printing up his playbook.

Seriously, ink prices are ridiculous.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:01 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Good riddance.

With the 21-7 lead he might as well have slapped a turtle shell on Murphy every drive the rest of the game. He started trying to shorten the game with roughly 18 minutes left praying the clock would run out.

I predict we all we see the next OC doing something very similar and then folks will realize that the man who makes such strategic choices is still on campus (except when he is doing an ESPN car wash).

We all know that Daz has a conservative approach to play calling. There's hours of tape from UF and Temple to prove that. So it is most likely that Day was following his orders in many of the situations where this board was driven nuts by the playing not to lose strategy. But what if Daz would have been even more conservative without Day to push him away from that? Day was not trained to run an offense that way. My fear is that if BC elevates Fitch or hires some nobody, the offense will get even more vanilla.

That is mostly my BC/mets fan paranoia talking. But I am concerned. The other key is recruiting. day was doing a good job. We've had too many old, dead weight coordinators who don't have the energy for recruiting. This can't be a Joe Jones situation.

Could be. Do you actually know the Temple offense was conservative, or are just assuming cause it was kind of shitty?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:08 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Good riddance.

Could be. Do you actually know the Temple offense was conservative, or are just assuming cause it was kind of shitty?

The Temple offense was extraordinarily conservative.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:11 am

The year Temple was good, they threw less than 200 times for 1600 yards. They rushed 636 times for 3622 yards and almost had 2 1000 yard rushers.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:27 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The year Temple was good, they threw less than 200 times for 1600 yards. They rushed 636 times for 3622 yards and almost had 2 1000 yard rushers.

They had an awful, awful QB coming off an injury the year they were good and does rushing 90% of the time mean conservative? I'm not really arguing here, just asking.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:28 am

actually the really bad QB may have been the bad year, I don't remember.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:02 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:The year Temple was good, they threw less than 200 times for 1600 yards. They rushed 636 times for 3622 yards and almost had 2 1000 yard rushers.

They had an awful, awful QB coming off an injury the year they were good and does rushing 90% of the time mean conservative? I'm not really arguing here, just asking.

I agree with you if you are saying that had good reason to be conservative - they had Pierce and Harris in back to back years and no QB. That doesn't change the fact that he was, in fact, conservative.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:25 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I agree with you if you are saying that had good reason to be conservative - they had Pierce and Harris in back to back years and no QB. That doesn't change the fact that he was, in fact, conservative.

I think Addazio is pretty conservative. I'm just not sure that Paul Johnson would (or should) be considered so, even though he runs the ball an infinite amount of times.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 12:31 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think Addazio is pretty conservative. I'm just not sure that Paul Johnson would (or should) be considered so, even though he runs the ball an infinite amount of times.

Agree with this premise, but Temple was not even running the Tyler Murphy spread. They ran 600 times from the I
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:00 pm

is kevin gilbride available?

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:20 pm

Word just reached Japan.
I didn't think Day was awful as OC but I think it will be a nice change to get some fresh blood in here.
Are there any former Florida or Temple coaches not working at the moment ? If so, I expect Daz to pluck a guy from there.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 23, 2015 4:50 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Word just reached Japan.
I didn't think Day was awful as OC but I think it will be a nice change to get some fresh blood in here.
Are there any former Florida or Temple coaches not working at the moment ? If so, I expect Daz to pluck a guy from there.

I feel like I never get to this. SHUT UP HANSEN
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 23, 2015 5:17 pm

you were the first to say it, though. you started the craze that swept the nation of japan

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:presented without comment.

shut up hansen, your penis is in the cabbage family
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby ILikeBC on Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:37 pm

Marc Trestman is the right man for this job