Full cost of attendance passes 79-1

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Full cost of attendance passes 79-1

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:17 pm

Drop tennis, swimming, golf, although BC is probaly not giving many scholarships in those sports.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:31 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Drop tennis, swimming, golf, although BC is probaly not giving many scholarships in those sports.

save money for other, more important projects

Edit: this was a fill in the corners joke for you downvoters
Last edited by StratEagle on Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:19 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Drop tennis, . . . .

Are you fucking stupid?!?!?

Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:34 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:if this gives us an excuse to disband our baseball program I'm all for it

I'm also all for getting rid of baseball. There's a 0% of long-term success. You can use that land and the $ saved to start in the football practice facility or a hockey practice rink. Hockey shouldn't be practicing at local high schools, that's insane. Football also shouldn't be practicing in a bubble, which is equally nuts.

Drop baseball & softball, build your indoor facility where the sacred field is on shea already, dorm out by the softball field & leave the baseball field area for intramural sports / tailgating
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:48 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:if this gives us an excuse to disband our baseball program I'm all for it

I'm also all for getting rid of baseball. There's a 0% of long-term success. You can use that land and the $ saved to start in the football practice facility or a hockey practice rink. Hockey shouldn't be practicing at local high schools, that's insane. Football also shouldn't be practicing in a bubble, which is equally nuts.

Drop baseball & softball, build your indoor facility where the sacred field is on shea already, dorm out by the softball field & leave the baseball field area for intramural sports / tailgating

Bingo
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:31 am

Team is looking for an indoor field and at least 1 practice field, ideally two. Add in the dorm and there is little to no room for tailgating. Indoor field should be part of the new rec center, less expensive and no additional employees needed. Major upgrades are needed for the stadium in order to stay competitive and to attract higher ticket price customers.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Wed Jan 21, 2015 7:00 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}: Major upgrades are needed for the stadium in order to stay competitive and to attract higher ticket price customers.

This gets funnier every time I see it.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:03 am

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}: Major upgrades are needed for the stadium in order to stay competitive and to attract higher ticket price customers.

This gets funnier every time I see it.

agreed. eaglekeeper must be in on the game and apt to make some money on construction to the stadium. it's the only play i can think of that has him continue this mantra of retardation
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:15 am

What specific upgrades?
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:46 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:

What specific upgrades?

Walls and a moat to keep the bears out. Hungry bears can still get in and maul people right now. A good moat costs about as much as a baseball program.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:28 am

ugh, no thanks. can you imagine all the homeless people and can collectors that would be bathing and urinating/defecating in the moat.

that said, a moat is still a better idea than a stadium expansion
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:05 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:ugh, no thanks. can you imagine all the homeless people and can collectors that would be bathing and urinating/defecating in the moat.

At least it removes the same from tailgates on Shea Field.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:08 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:ugh, no thanks. can you imagine all the homeless people and can collectors that would be bathing and urinating/defecating in the moat.

At least it removes the same from tailgates on Shea Field.

not really - they have 358.25 days a year to bath/urinate/deficate in the moat and then the other 7 days they are a quick commute to the tailgating scene.

only moat monsters could keep them out but that could be just as dangerous as potential bear attacks. all in all i think a moat is a bad idea and think eaglekeeper is stupid for bringing up the possibility of a moat
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Walsh601 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:11 pm

Bates on the No vote:
Bates cited three reasons. One, that it further differentiates student-athletes from regular students. Two, that it creates more expenses while most athletic departments are in the red. And third, that schools will be able to offer different amounts of money to players, based on the federally-determined “full cost of attendance.”

“Sixty-one percent of college students carry debt at graduation,” Bates said. “Obviously, a full-scholarship student-athlete has no debt. … Our second concern is continuing to pass legislation that increases expense when the vast majority of athletic departments are already subsidized by their university. According to USA Today, last summer, only seven Division I athletic departments generated profit last year. Everyone else was relying on subsidies, which includes student fees. Since 2010, 15 schools have cut 66 sports. Increasing expenses will continue to put pressure on schools to examine sport reduction.

“Finally, we have concerns that the federal financial-aid formula is sufficiently ambiguous that the adjustments for recruiting advantage will take place. Hypothetically, do you really think that Alabama is going to allow Auburn to have a greater amount of cash they can give their student-athletes? The range between schools right now is fairly significant.”

When the vote came down on, people wondered who the lone vote against it was and how it could be used to recruit against that school. It’s something Bates knows, and he believes more schools would have voted against if not for that.

“We talked about that before we had the convention last weekend,” Bates said. “Everything has advantages and disadvantages. Will schools use this against us? Probably. But at the same time, this legislation is going to have a very significant opportunity for some schools.

“With the research we’ve done, we’ve seen the highest amount of difference in cost of attendance is a little over $6,000. Some schools are going to be bale to give the students over $6,000 per student per year. Other schools are less than $1,000. There’s already an inherent disadvantage, based on what your cost of attendance is.”

http://coachingsearch.com/article?a=Boston-College-AD-explains-lone-vote-against-costofattendance
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:27 pm

BC's stance here is the correct one. I am surprised there weren't more schools who took a similar perspective... looking at you Stanford, ND, NW, WF, Duke, Vandy.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:43 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:BC's stance here is the correct one. I am surprised there weren't more schools who took a similar perspective... looking at you Stanford, ND, NW, WF, Duke, Vandy.

The only good argument, if true, is the third one. The second argument is laugh out loud funny.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:30 pm

Wtf does the first argument even mean?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:38 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Wtf does the first argument even mean?

I think it means that students who have academic or need-based scholarships do not get a similar cost adjustment. Essentially, this now means that not all full scholarships are the same.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:03 am

Upgrades to Alumni are needed to both keep older season ticket holders and attract corporate customers. Because of building code issues it's difficult to make any changes to the current bench seats. BC needs a Putnam type club and the best area to build one is the corner section of the stadium above the students. The club could be used for football, basketball and hockey because it can be connected into Conte. All of the luxury boxes are sold out and additional boxes could be built in that corner. A small business that can't afford to rent a box, would be able to buy club seats to entertain clients. Older season ticket holders need elevator/escalator access and upgraded food selection. I have no doubt it would sell out due to the successful luxury box sales. There is a big premium customer market that BC is not taking full advantage of. The university itself needs a high quality on campus club and it could be linked with the Boston College Club. These are customers that are not going to buy bench seats.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:45 am

so you've vetted all this and you know the investors that will be paying for it?

if so, bring those names to the school admininstration. i'm sure they'd love to know who's willing to pony up big bucks based on the fact that bc has some of the worst alumni giving percentages of it's peer schools

you forgot that we need more seats in the corner though because, if you build them we will sell out
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:18 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Upgrades to Alumni are needed to both keep older season ticket holders and attract corporate customers. Because of building code issues it's difficult to make any changes to the current bench seats. BC needs a Putnam type club and the best area to build one is the corner section of the stadium above the students. The club could be used for football, basketball and hockey because it can be connected into Conte. All of the luxury boxes are sold out and additional boxes could be built in that corner. A small business that can't afford to rent a box, would be able to buy club seats to entertain clients. Older season ticket holders need elevator/escalator access and upgraded food selection. I have no doubt it would sell out due to the successful luxury box sales. There is a big premium customer market that BC is not taking full advantage of. The university itself needs a high quality on campus club and it could be linked with the Boston College Club. These are customers that are not going to buy bench seats.

OK, I'll play along. This is . . . interesting, and not as totally stupid as it sounds at first glance. Obviously the idea of just putting in more regular seats is a non-starter, unless or until we start selling out regualrly there is no need.

But the idea of more club or luxury-type seating might have some appeal. But as TRE notes, just throwing this out there is kind of pointless in the absence of market studies backing up the idea. Lots of high-end fans like being close to the action, and your proposed seating would have some of the worst sight lines in the stadium. Also, I'll need to look at the building diagrams again, but I don't see how your proposed seating would work for Conte hockey/basketball.

Ok, I'm pretty much done taking this seriously now.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:23 am

While Eaglekeeper is an asshat, pretty much tired of hearing the lame "how will it be paid for" excuse. Let the athletic program keep more of the money it earns, stop pretending scholarships cost the school something, and stop having more non-revenue sports than any school in the country.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:While Eaglekeeper is an asshat, pretty much tired of hearing the lame "how will it be paid for" excuse. Let the athletic program keep more of the money it earns, stop pretending scholarships cost the school something, and stop having more non-revenue sports than any school in the country.

and i'm pretty much tired of hearing that the biggest expense the university needs to undertake will provide use and value 7 days a year (because bullshit on it having any sort of view or usage into conte)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:38 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:While Eaglekeeper is an asshat, pretty much tired of hearing the lame "how will it be paid for" excuse. Let the athletic program keep more of the money it earns, stop pretending scholarships cost the school something, and stop having more non-revenue sports than any school in the country.

and i'm pretty much tired of hearing that the biggest expense the university needs to undertake will provide use and value 7 days a year (because bullshit on it having any sort of view or usage into conte)

The college has been under construction for 6 straight years building shit unrelated to sports. Don't think a reasonable request for a practice facility designed to keep competitive so that cash keeps flowing from the athletic department is off the charts. Don't think the Yawkey building killed any other projects.

When the nursing school joins a nursing league that pays it millions of dollars for its membership, I'll listen to whines about the nursing facilities.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

The college has been under construction for 6 straight years building shit unrelated to sports. Don't think a reasonable request for a practice facility designed to keep competitive so that cash keeps flowing from the athletic department is off the charts. Don't think the Yawkey building killed any other projects.

When the nursing school joins a nursing league that pays it millions of dollars for its membership, I'll listen to whines about the nursing facilities.

i'm not bitching about the practice facility, i'm bitching about the retardation that is adding seats/club area/blow job rooms to the stadium. unless you are saying the practice facility would only be used for 7 days a year in which case i think that a 7 day practice facility is also the apex of retardation

but thanks for mo'jing my argument for me
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:52 am

also, the nursing school is in a league that pays it millions of dollars. it's called being an accredited university and it's what gets the students and tuition dollars into the school's pockets.

9,000 students paying $50,000 a year = $450 million/year. we should probably do something nice for those people too...

EDIT - and before you mo'j me again... i understand there aren't 9,000 students in the nursing school. i also understand that the 6 years of construction on campus isn't just for the nursing school
Last edited by TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

i'm not bitching about the practice facility, i'm bitching about the retardation that is adding seats/club area/blow job rooms to the stadium. unless you are saying the practice facility would only be used for 7 days a year in which case i think that a 7 day practice facility is also the apex of retardation

but thanks for mo'jing my argument for me

Adding seats is stupid. Upgrading the facilities, including the stadium, has merit. Chief among those should be the indoor practice facility.

Thank you for the compliment, I was proud of my HJSian non sequitur.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:56 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:also, the nursing school is in a league that pays it millions of dollars. it's called being an accredited university and it's what gets the students and tuition dollars into the school's pockets.

9,000 students paying $50,000 a year = $450 million/year. we should probably do something nice for those people too...

EDIT - and before you mo'j me again... i understand there aren't 9,000 students in the nursing school. i also understand that the 6 years of construction on campus isn't just for the nursing school

Educating them, perhaps? In brand new nursing practice facilities called Stokes Hall?

And before you HJS me, I am aware that the nursing school is not actually in Stokes Hall.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:27 am

I think both sides to this argument have acknowledged their respective straw men. That said, TRE is a jerk.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:28 am

and teddy is a jerk that roots for cheaters
TobaccoRoadEagle