Pinstripe Gameday thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Pinstripe Gameday thread

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:00 pm

with that being said, I hope this motivates Mike Knoll to be better. I hope he makes every kick in the future, and I hope he goes on to have a great, fulfilling and successful career at BC. I hope he makes a lot of money in the NFL. but that was inexcusable.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:45 pm

Pretty sure the ability to kick a ball through the uprights has little to do with laziness.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 4:50 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Pretty sure the ability to kick a ball through the uprights has little to do with laziness.

It's 100% mental. I saw him bang a 50 yard FG through during warmups. He has plenty of ability but mentally he is a trainwreck.

I like Day better than Brown since he fits the O to our personnel. I think we have to give him a chance with a QB that can throw and real WRs. Our WRs are an embarassment. The guy next to me asked why we had OLine players at WR.

Brown just runs his stupid scheme although historically BC has always had a average at best secondary. Day's offense does what BC can recruit to, which is running the ball. BC will never recruit elite players in the secondary. They are young, but Moore and Dawson did not look good at all yesterday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:21 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Pretty sure the ability to kick a ball through the uprights has little to do with laziness.

It's 100% mental. I saw him bang a 50 yard FG through during warmups. He has plenty of ability but mentally he is a trainwreck.

I like Day better than Brown since he fits the O to our personnel. I think we have to give him a chance with a QB that can throw and real WRs. Our WRs are an embarassment. The guy next to me asked why we had OLine players at WR.

Brown just runs his stupid scheme although historically BC has always had a average at best secondary. Day's offense does what BC can recruit to, which is running the ball. BC will never recruit elite players in the secondary. They are young, but Moore and Dawson did not look good at all yesterday.

Isn't (most) posters problem with brown yesterday that he brought out the f'ing spaz cushion once we went up two scores yesterday?

If so get your arguments straight. If not please explain what you think the brown scheme is and why it was a problem yesterday.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:22 pm

I hope to high fuck we find someone who can catch a pass next year. Godwin would have been a godsend if he had come here with Wade.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:27 pm

Again. Announcers, newspapers and 4 different people who watched the game on TV all said that Knoll's plant foot skidded. Just thought I should mention it as grown men shit on some 19 year old kid.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Chronologically, the tailgating was awesome. Showed up at 10 on the Harlem River and that place turned into Shea Field before Nazism struck. Started out mostly ped state fans but BC filled in, probably assumed it was a rule across America that you could only tailgate in a city for 3 hours before a game. Also again Bates, if you give people more than 3 hours to tailgate, they get in on time. How was the BC bar? Didn't go cause there was no way in hell I was dropping $40 for 2 drink tickets.

I remember looking at my phone at one point quite a while after we got there and thinking "holy shit, kickoff isn't even for another 2 hours". Great time.

Epstein, not sure where you were sitting but in the 200s the BC fans were great, didn't get down in front'd once.

Ped St & Maryland fans deserve each other in the B1G.

Incredibly shitty way to end a good season.

I had some guy bitch at us for "yelling in his ear" when BC was on D, but he wasn't wearing colors of either school so not sure if he was a BC fan. Our section was overwhelmingly BC but there were a handful of PSU stragglers from Stubhub I guess, one of whom was sitting on the end of the aisle behind mine and took objection to my Sandusky comments as we were leaving. Me and him start jawing, my friend ushers me along, I get up a few steps and happen to look back just in time to see him sucker punch my friend. I jumped back down fists swinging and it all got broken up within seconds. Classy guy. Overall their fans are an embarrassment, I don't spend much time in Pennsylvania any more and the PSU fans I know personally mostly have some sense of perspective but holy shit a ton of these people just have no concept of shame.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:40 pm

kicking a ball through the uprights requires practice. if you don't practice enough, you may miss extra point kicks. if the special teams coach and/or kickers are working very hard, nobody is missing any extra points barring a blocked kick. therefore, kicking a ball through the uprights has a lot to do with laziness.

practice = perfect, or close to it. practice certainly does not equal 8 missed extra points from three kickers.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:41 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:Unfortunately, Mike Knoll is not a D1 kicker. Add in all the missed PATs and it is really in his head and seems unlikely he can be salvaged. Whoever you care to blame (Addazio or McGowan) it now needs to be fixed. Hopefully, they can recruit a D1 level kicker.

On a side note, it really hurts to see the guy, who should be kicking at BC, Michael Geiger now kicking at Michigan State.

Mike Knoll is 6 months removed from High School. Yesterday was only his 5th game. Prior to the OT miss, he was 13 of 14 on extra points (the OT miss was his second). On the season, he was 3-4 on FGs with a 40-yard make and a 36-yard miss. I'm not writing him off yet. Let me remind that our best ever kicker (Freese) missed a game-winning chipshot in the middle-schmiddle loss to Duke his freshman year.

But, we should bring in another kicker or a walk-on in case he is damaged (or gets injured).

Stop making excuses for Knoll, it sounds pathetic.

Not making excuses for him but Freese was also pretty bad his freshman year. Not saying Knoll is going to turn into Nate but I wouldn't be surprised if he's a reliable kicker come next season.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:42 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

kicking a ball through the uprights requires practice. if you don't practice enough, you may miss extra point kicks. if the special teams coach and/or kickers are working very hard, nobody is missing any extra points barring a blocked kick. therefore, kicking a ball through the uprights has a lot to do with laziness.

practice = perfect, or close to it. practice certainly does not equal 8 missed extra points from three kickers.

Missed PATs at this level are not an issue of not practicing enough.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:44 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

Missed PATs at this level are not an issue of not practicing enough.

I disagree. nearly everything can be mastered with time, effort, and practice. I believe kicking a football is one of them.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:08 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Isn't (most) posters problem with brown yesterday that he brought out the f'ing spaz cushion once we went up two scores yesterday?

If so get your arguments straight. If not please explain what you think the brown scheme is and why it was a problem yesterday.

His scheme is blitz like a madman until you get ahead and then go conservative. They're both stupid and predictable.

Variety is the spice of life
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:08 pm

Way too conservative, but everyone knows that. Some stuff that I think may not have been talked about yet:

Too many penalties. There wasn't great replay at Yankee Stadium, and I couldn't quite tell from where I was sitting, but regardless they played a part.
Kudos to Murphy, he wasn't very sharp in the early going, but really got it together by the end of the game.
I have heard people say we should have gone for it on the last field goal, but I think field goal was the right move-needed better clock management if you ask me.
Cushion or no cushion, the dbs didn't play very well (off the top of my head the tipped ball for a td and the ball going through one of their hands on the third td)
Pretty good BC presence at the game, at least up high on our side of the field.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:15 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Chronologically, the tailgating was awesome. Showed up at 10 on the Harlem River and that place turned into Shea Field before Nazism struck. Started out mostly ped state fans but BC filled in, probably assumed it was a rule across America that you could only tailgate in a city for 3 hours before a game. Also again Bates, if you give people more than 3 hours to tailgate, they get in on time. How was the BC bar? Didn't go cause there was no way in hell I was dropping $40 for 2 drink tickets.

I remember looking at my phone at one point quite a while after we got there and thinking "holy shit, kickoff isn't even for another 2 hours". Great time.

Epstein, not sure where you were sitting but in the 200s the BC fans were great, didn't get down in front'd once.

I had some guy bitch at us for "yelling in his ear" when BC was on D, but he wasn't wearing colors of either school so not sure if he was a BC fan. Our section was overwhelmingly BC but there were a handful of PSU stragglers from Stubhub I guess, one of whom was sitting on the end of the aisle behind mine and took objection to my Sandusky comments as we were leaving. Me and him start jawing, my friend ushers me along, I get up a few steps and happen to look back just in time to see him sucker punch my friend. I jumped back down fists swinging and it all got broken up within seconds. Classy guy. Overall their fans are an embarrassment, I don't spend much time in Pennsylvania any more and the PSU fans I know personally mostly have some sense of perspective but holy shit a ton of these people just have no concept of shame.

This isn't a personal thing so please don't take it this way.

The PSU fans around me were fine aside from one or two jerks. Having said that, why are we dropping Sandusky comments? It's childish, classless and overall reflects really poorly on the fan base as a whole. It happened, it's done, but why a BC fan would ever find it in good taste to do that is beyond me. It reflects really poorly on the person and the fan base. One of the things I like about BC is we win and lose with class and dignity unlike so many awful fan bases, including Penn St.

Again, don't take it personally because I saw others doing it and found it equally as disgusting.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:33 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

His scheme is blitz like a madman until you get ahead and then go conservative. They're both stupid and predictable.

Oh. This is even lazier than usual.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:40 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

The PSU fans around me were fine aside from one or two jerks. Having said that, why are we dropping Sandusky comments? It's childish, classless and overall reflects really poorly on the fan base as a whole. It happened, it's done, but why a BC fan would ever find it in good taste to do that is beyond me. It reflects really poorly on the person and the fan base. One of the things I like about BC is we win and lose with class and dignity unlike so many awful fan bases, including Penn St.

Again, don't take it personally because I saw others doing it and found it equally as disgusting.

And how long have you been a member here?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:45 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

And how long have you been a member here?

This board is what it is ultimately but at a game I expect better from BC fans.

Again, lose with class, the team did that yesterday.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:46 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:The conservative nature was infuriating.

Not even TOB did that shit. He always let it fly in bowl games. No one gives a shit if you win, just have fun and go for it.

PS, if we get another spread option QB, run some spread option dumbasses

Was Murphy injured at all? I ask because he never called his own number. He made a number of questionable zone read decisions. Would've liked to see them run an option at the DE. He is excellent but running at him may have slowed his backside pursuit. Their DTs beat the shit out of our interior OL on a number of plays.

Day needed to call keepers on the read option then. Fake read option, QB draw... Their DE's and olb's were not holding the edge.

They actually did just that in the 4th (I think the final drive). They faked the dive and had 36 wall-off the edge that sprung Murphy for a nice run.

Agree.... Shouldn't have taken that log to notice that, which I am sure u also agree with...

Edit: I agree that brown was horrible yesterday making the same mistake as he has done all year long... Do u agree with that same statement regarding day?

I'm not a Day fan. I hated the hire. I just think he's done a very good job adjusting his schemes to fit his talent (which is something I always respect coaches for doing (see Logan) and something Donnie has refused to do for 2 straight seasons). I also don't know what more he could do with a QB who can't throw and receivers who can't catch. Finally, I can't fault a strategy that tries to burn clock in order to lessen the negative impact Don Brown has on the game.

All that said, whoever does end-of-half/game clock management or who makes the decision to turtle-up to burn clock once we take the lead should be fired. However, I think that the person who really is making those calls was just extended to 2020.

So Addazio and brown should be fired but day has done a great job? I'm not trying to be snide, just trying to get your line of thinking straight rather than put words in your mouth...

HJS?

You're not trying to put words in my mouth, but you demand me to respond to a post that does nothing but that.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:47 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Oh. This is even lazier than usual.

Not really, I watched him do about four times this season. We won zero of those games.

Brown deserves more time with guys he has identified that can play in the secondary the same way Day does with actual WRs.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:58 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I understand what you're getting at and it's certainly a valid stance to take however their fanbase is so reprehensible that I think there's value in reminding them of what their hero Paterno presided over. It would be one thing if they were humble and ashamed of what happened while still supporting their school and team going forward but they still act like it wasn't a big deal and they still view Paterno as some sort of god. And I was doubly angry after reading this garbage on the train on the way up. Maybe I take it more personally as a Pennsylvanian and someone who was a PSU fan until the day I decided to attend BC and still liked to see them do well from then until the Sandusky scandal broke. These fucksticks are among the most visible representatives of my state to the rest of the country, 100k mouth breathers descending on Happy Valley 7 Saturdays every fall to pay homage to a man who spent 20 years enabling a child rapist. It's fucking disgusting and until their fanbase owns up to it I don't mind continuing to remind them of it.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:01 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:

So the reason we suck at XPs is bc we practice them less than any other team in Division 1?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:02 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I understand what you're getting at and it's certainly a valid stance to take however their fanbase is so reprehensible that I think there's value in reminding them of what their hero Paterno presided over. It would be one thing if they were humble and ashamed of what happened while still supporting their school and team going forward but they still act like it wasn't a big deal and they still view Paterno as some sort of god. And I was doubly angry after reading this garbage on the train on the way up. Maybe I take it more personally as a Pennsylvanian and someone who was a PSU fan until the day I decided to attend BC and still liked to see them do well from then until the Sandusky scandal broke. These fucksticks are among the most visible representatives of my state to the rest of the country, 100k mouth breathers descending on Happy Valley 7 Saturdays every fall to pay homage to a man who spent 20 years enabling a child rapist. It's fucking disgusting and until their fanbase owns up to it I don't mind continuing to remind them of it.

I hear you, I think we're coming from the same place here.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:06 pm

Awesome tailgate.

Imagine that, being able to tailgate for 6+ hours for a BC game taking place in a city?

And our entire group of 40 was in for kickoff

siriuz, my issue w the cushion was throughout the game. Hackenberg reminded of the ND game from 2009 where Clausen just threw to the wide side of the field incessantly as our corners played 10 yards off
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby branchinator on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:32 pm

Not only did Hackenberg throw to the outside all game but he practically stared at his WR pre-snap and still completed the passes at will. Any half decent DB has like 2 or 3 INTs yesterday.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:44 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:Not only did Hackenberg throw to the outside all game but he practically stared at his WR pre-snap and still completed the passes at will. Any half decent DB has like 2 or 3 INTs yesterday.

Just from the balls that hit them in the hands....forget the cushion
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:55 am

For obvious reasons, we take a very BC-centric view in this thread. However, if you remove the maroon-and-gold-colored-glasses, we were in position to win that game mainly because Ped State self-destructed on the most basic of execution (even more basic than an extra point)... the snap. There were potentially 21 more points Matt Ryan Hackenberg could have put up if they weren't putting the ball on the rug every other series. Hell... the worst offense we faced this year punted only once in the second half.

BTW... can someone explain to me what we were doing on that 72-yard bomb to Godwin? We rushed 5 (with a zone blitz). Had three covering very shallow (a yard or two off the LOS) and had the Safeties both cheating up (they were closer to the line of scrimmage than any of our CBs were the entire second half). We had the CBs in press coverage with no help behind. Essentially, we were in a short-yardage defense when it was really 3rd and 12 from their own 28. Hackenberg immediately recognized the situation... he hiked it... looked at Godwin the entire time... and was so giddy he almost threw it too soon (he got rid of the ball in less than 2-seconds... including a Brady-like pat/clutch of the ball before he threw it).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:08 am

HJS {l Wrote}:For obvious reasons, we take a very BC-centric view in this thread. However, if you remove the maroon-and-gold-colored-glasses, we were in position to win that game mainly because Ped State self-destructed on the most basic of execution (even more basic than an extra point)... the snap. There were potentially 21 more points Matt Ryan Hackenberg could have put up if they weren't putting the ball on the rug every other series. Hell... the worst offense we faced this year punted only once in the second half.

BTW... can someone explain to me what we were doing on that 72-yard bomb to Godwin? We rushed 5 (with a zone blitz). Had three covering very shallow (a yard or two off the LOS) and had the Safeties both cheating up (they were closer to the line of scrimmage than any of our CBs were the entire second half). We had the CBs in press coverage with no help behind. Essentially, we were in a short-yardage defense when it was really 3rd and 12 from their own 28. Hackenberg immediately recognized the situation... he hiked it... looked at Godwin the entire time... and was so giddy he almost threw it too soon (he got rid of the ball in less than 2-seconds... including a Brady-like pat/clutch of the ball before he threw it).

The Bengals botched the exact same snap last night. It was a very good play by the d-lineman.

Agree that the defense was terrible. Also think BC has little choice but to blitz most of the time. Play cover two and the only difference is that the completion percentage is higher.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:32 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:siriuz, my issue w the cushion was throughout the game. Hackenberg reminded of the ND game from 2009 where Clausen just threw to the wide side of the field incessantly as our corners played 10 yards off

I have a major issue with using the cushion the way it was used in the bowl game also. I also think this was the worst defensive performance we've seen from this group and staff all year (as an aside I also think the offensive game plan and overall game plan were wrong at least for enough of the game for it to make a difference and once again the D made a big stop in the first PSU possession of the fourth quarter only to have a signature Day too comfortable with Hilliman run up the middle three and out to have to get right back out there).

However, I find it frustrating that certain posters can't even keep their extraordinarily over simple argument straight. For the sake of some oversimplification of my own, Don Brown employed the cushion against Penn State and it went very badly. The cushion is the antithesis of the "Don Brown defense" that is traditionally railed against by certain lesser posters as "making every quarterback look like Matt Ryan senior year."

All but the dumbest posters recognize that athleticism and speed deficiencies in the defensive back field has become an Boston College football institution since really the entire time I've watched this team. There are a few obvious notable exceptions, which I can count with one hand and none are currently on the roster.

Spaz dealt with the defensive backfield deficiencies by taking steps to keep the play in front of his DBs, most notably he employed a cushion between DB and WR at the line of scrimmage and accepted a certain amount of essentially uncontested short yardage passes. It worked pretty well overall if 1) the defense excelled against the run; and 2) the front four were able to generate a modicum of pass rush absent blitz. The cushion relied in large part on the inaccuracy and stupidity of most college QBs. A somewhat accurate and more importantly, smart QB, would pick it apart and slowly but steadily score at will (notables: Chris Turner, Riley Skinner). Spaz's defenses were also reliably poor against mobile QBs.

Brown, mostly deals with the defensive backfield deficiencies by limiting the QB's time to make a decision through a lot of blitzing, and holding the receivers on the line with bump and run. It works pretty well overall if 1) the blitz is effective; 2) the CBs can effectively delay the WRs for some amount of time; and 3) the DBs can occasionally handle isolation. It does not work at all if the pressure on the QB isn't effective.

I don't know if Brown turtled and called a Spaz game (yes, this is lazy) because the early blitzes weren't reaching Hackenberg and players like Godwin who had done nothing all year disengaged and took off in the time it took for a lineman to get to Hackenberg, or if this was simply a game plan decision that evolved once we took a multi-score lead. I don't know if he stuck with it because Williams got hurt, Johnson came into the game hurt and with Jones booted we don't even have our usual stellar defensive backfield in place. Regardless, it was clearly the wrong plan.

Especially after Dieffenbach got hurt, I would have like to see how the defense known for "making ever quarter back look like Matt Ryan senior year" worked instead of the defense known for making Riley Skinner an object of TRE's affection.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:33 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:Not only did Hackenberg throw to the outside all game but he practically stared at his WR pre-snap and still completed the passes at will. Any half decent DB has like 2 or 3 INTs yesterday.

This did not happen.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:40 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

This did not happen.

He definitely stared down Godwin on the bomb. I didn't watch him that closely otherwise, but he wasn't checking down very often.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium