Pinstripe Gameday thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Pinstripe Gameday thread

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:Not only did Hackenberg throw to the outside all game but he practically stared at his WR pre-snap and still completed the passes at will. Any half decent DB has like 2 or 3 INTs yesterday.

This did not happen.

He definitely stared down Godwin on the bomb. I didn't watch him that closely otherwise, but he wasn't checking down very often.

Not really trying to start this argument because the lack of a safety on the right two thirds of the field makes it a moot point and there shouldn't have been a check down when you have a WR one on one with absolutely no one else twenty yards, but he looks out over the middle first before turning to the right sideline and throwing to Godwin.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/video?gameId=400610210
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:55 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Agree that the defense was terrible. Also think BC has little choice but to blitz most of the time. Play cover two and the only difference is that the completion percentage is higher.

I think we need to blitz, but I would like to see it timed and cognizant of game situation.

I again question what we are doing with Don Brown as DC. His scheme (which apparently is unable to be adjusted) requires NFL-level DBs and the ability to consistently get pressure on the QB (specifically with your front 4). However, when you consider that BC historically struggles to land elite DBs and athletic DLinemen, it seems to be a mismatch of scheme and talent. I cannot argue that his system would be effective at FSU, OSU, USC, Bama, LSU, Florida or Clemson. But, at BC, I don't think it is realistic to run a system that highlights our talent deficiencies instead of masking them.

It should be noted that at 60-years-old, this is the highest profile job Don Brown has ever held. His system has proven effective when facing opponents with terrible offensive talent (see his stops at Dartmouth, Yale, Plymouth State, Brown, UMass, Northeastern and Yukon). In his 32-year career, he has only coached for 2 seasons in a Big 5 conference (outside of BC). Very simply... if he is to remain at BC, he needs to find ways to adapt to his talent and opponent. At this level, you cannot solely rely on a QB being confused by your blitz packages.

Further, coaches at this level are better prepared. Donnie's D struggled more in the second half of each game (when the opponent made halftime adjustments... again shades of Spaz). I also think teams (with plenty of film accumulated) were better able to prepare the QB. The evidence was in the piss-poor numbers that are otherwise crucial to Donnie's supposedly opportunistic D. Specifically, on the season, BC's D was dead-last in the ACC for turnovers (11th in INTs and 12th in fumbles) and 11th in passing yards allowed (and only middle-of-the-pack for sacks). As we have been for 2 decades, we were excellent against the run.

All that said, kudos to Donnie for hustling OCs by letting Pitt run all over us. Next to Tyler Murphy, fooling opponents into believing they could run the ball was probably the biggest factor in us making a bowl.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:56 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Agree that the defense was terrible. Also think BC has little choice but to blitz most of the time. Play cover two and the only difference is that the completion percentage is higher.

I think we need to blitz, but I would like to see it timed and cognizant of game situation.

I again question what we are doing with Don Brown as DC. His scheme (which apparently is unable to be adjusted) requires NFL-level DBs and the ability to consistently get pressure on the QB (specifically with your front 4). However, when you consider that BC historically struggles to land elite DBs and athletic DLinemen, it seems to be a mismatch of scheme and talent. I cannot argue that his system would be effective at FSU, OSU, USC, Bama, LSU, Florida or Clemson. But, at BC, I don't think it is realistic to run a system that highlights our talent deficiencies instead of masking them.

It should be noted that at 60-years-old, this is the highest profile job Don Brown has ever held. His system has proven effective when facing opponents with terrible offensive talent (see his stops at Dartmouth, Yale, Plymouth State, Brown, UMass, Northeastern and Yukon). In his 32-year career, he has only coached for 2 seasons in a Big 5 conference (outside of BC). Very simply... if he is to remain at BC, he needs to find ways to adapt to his talent and opponent. At this level, you cannot solely rely on a QB being confused by your blitz packages.

Further, coaches at this level are better prepared. Donnie's D struggled more in the second half of each game (when the opponent made halftime adjustments... again shades of Spaz). I also think teams (with plenty of film accumulated) were better able to prepare the QB. The evidence was in the piss-poor numbers that are otherwise crucial to Donnie's supposedly opportunistic D. Specifically, on the season, BC's D was dead-last in the ACC for turnovers (11th in INTs and 12th in fumbles) and 11th in passing yards allowed (and only middle-of-the-pack for sacks). As we have been for 2 decades, we were excellent against the run.

All that said, kudos to Donnie for hustling OCs by letting Pitt run all over us. Next to Tyler Murphy, fooling opponents into believing they could run the ball was probably the biggest factor in us making a bowl.

Blitz timing was fucking terrible Saturday. Almost as bad as running the clock for 60 minutes or not giving the ball to Alston at all.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:04 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}: once again the D made a big stop in the first PSU possession of the fourth quarter only to have a signature Day too comfortable with Hilliman run up the middle three and out to have to get right back out there).

Not true. Hilliman did get the ball on first down. But, Murphy was sacked on 2nd down and Outlow made a reception on 3rd down (short of the first). It was a 3-and-out, but it wasn't necessarily due to overly conservative play-calls... just play-calls that didn't work.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:08 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I again question what we are doing with Don Brown as DC. His scheme (which apparently is unable to be adjusted) requires NFL-level DBs and the ability to consistently get pressure on the QB (specifically with your front 4).

What about all the times the scheme worked this year and last year? I feel like they make this a stupid argument.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:19 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:All but the dumbest posters recognize that athleticism and speed deficiencies in the defensive back field has become an Boston College football institution since really the entire time I've watched this team. There are a few obvious notable exceptions, which I can count with one hand and none are currently on the roster.

Spaz dealt with the defensive backfield deficiencies by taking steps to keep the play in front of his DBs, most notably he employed a cushion between DB and WR at the line of scrimmage and accepted a certain amount of essentially uncontested short yardage passes. It worked pretty well overall if 1) the defense excelled against the run; and 2) the front four were able to generate a modicum of pass rush absent blitz. The cushion relied in large part on the inaccuracy and stupidity of most college QBs. A somewhat accurate and more importantly, smart QB, would pick it apart and slowly but steadily score at will (notables: Chris Turner, Riley Skinner). Spaz's defenses were also reliably poor against mobile QBs.

Brown, mostly deals with the defensive backfield deficiencies by limiting the QB's time to make a decision through a lot of blitzing, and holding the receivers on the line with bump and run. It works pretty well overall if 1) the blitz is effective; 2) the CBs can effectively delay the WRs for some amount of time; and 3) the DBs can occasionally handle isolation. It does not work at all if the pressure on the QB isn't effective.

I agree with this.

However, my big issue with Spaz (who truly was otherwise a good DC) was the stubbornness with which he would go about following his system. No matter who we played... no matter what our talent... it was never adjusted (this seemed to be learned behavior directly from his mentor, TOB). When we had the personnel, it would have been nice to see Spaz play a little more aggressive. In fact, my favorite Spaz Ds were under Jags when he seemed to turn it up a little. Donnie's general concept of confusing the QB (harkening back to Spaz's "you think, you stink" credo) is sound, but it needs to be adapted to personnel and opponent. Like Spaz, Donnie seems reticent to do that. If given the false choice between stupidly blitzing all the time when you don't have the right talent or mindlessly playing the same base keep-it-in-front-of-you-scheme, I'd choose Spaz's system as it is the most likely to lead to wins. But, my preference would be a DC who has the wherewithal to scheme each opponent (heck each series) differently.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:26 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:All but the dumbest posters recognize that athleticism and speed deficiencies in the defensive back field has become an Boston College football institution since really the entire time I've watched this team. There are a few obvious notable exceptions, which I can count with one hand and none are currently on the roster.

Spaz dealt with the defensive backfield deficiencies by taking steps to keep the play in front of his DBs, most notably he employed a cushion between DB and WR at the line of scrimmage and accepted a certain amount of essentially uncontested short yardage passes. It worked pretty well overall if 1) the defense excelled against the run; and 2) the front four were able to generate a modicum of pass rush absent blitz. The cushion relied in large part on the inaccuracy and stupidity of most college QBs. A somewhat accurate and more importantly, smart QB, would pick it apart and slowly but steadily score at will (notables: Chris Turner, Riley Skinner). Spaz's defenses were also reliably poor against mobile QBs.

Brown, mostly deals with the defensive backfield deficiencies by limiting the QB's time to make a decision through a lot of blitzing, and holding the receivers on the line with bump and run. It works pretty well overall if 1) the blitz is effective; 2) the CBs can effectively delay the WRs for some amount of time; and 3) the DBs can occasionally handle isolation. It does not work at all if the pressure on the QB isn't effective.

I agree with this.

However, my big issue with Spaz (who truly was otherwise a good DC) was the stubbornness with which he would go about following his system. No matter who we played... no matter what our talent... it was never adjusted (this seemed to be learned behavior directly from his mentor, TOB). When we had the personnel, it would have been nice to see Spaz play a little more aggressive. In fact, my favorite Spaz Ds were under Jags when he seemed to turn it up a little. Donnie's general concept of confusing the QB (harkening back to Spaz's "you think, you stink" credo) is sound, but it needs to be adapted to personnel and opponent. Like Spaz, Donnie seems reticent to do that. If given the false choice between stupidly blitzing all the time when you don't have the right talent or mindlessly playing the same base keep-it-in-front-of-you-scheme, I'd choose Spaz's system as it is the most likely to lead to wins. But, my preference would be a DC who has the wherewithal to scheme each opponent (heck each series) differently.

Isn't the last game an example of (turns out ill-advised) adjustment from the typical Brown defense to the cushion at least at some key junctures?

I also think it is imperative to recognize that a fair amount of schemes are wholly unavailable to us based on personnel.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I again question what we are doing with Don Brown as DC. His scheme (which apparently is unable to be adjusted) requires NFL-level DBs and the ability to consistently get pressure on the QB (specifically with your front 4).

What about all the times the scheme worked this year and last year? I feel like they make this a stupid argument.

It works when we have a significant talent advantage (Maine, UMass, Cuse). In every other game this year, the D did not distinguish itself... except for NCS. NCS was the best performance that the D put up this year against a decent offensive team.

Again... I don't argue that Don's system works when you have better talent at DB and DL. I just don't think that will be realistically often enough to justify employing it.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:31 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

It works when we have a significant talent advantage (Maine, UMass, Cuse). In every other game this year, the D did not distinguish itself... except for NCS. NCS was the best performance that the D put up this year against a decent offensive team.

Again... I don't argue that Don's system works when you have better talent at DB and DL. I just don't think that will be realistically often enough to justify employing it.

Wait. what? The defense didn't distinguish itself against FSU and Clemson? Jesus.

Never go full retard.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:37 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I agree with this.

Isn't the last game an example of (turns out ill-advised) adjustment from the typical Brown defense to the cushion at least at some key junctures?

I also think it is imperative to recognize that a fair amount of schemes are wholly unavailable to us based on personnel.

I honestly don't know what we were even trying to do against PSU. We were still blitzing. We still had corners rolled-up. We weren't always playing the cushion. We just seemed to be playing it at the worst possible times. Were we doing it because we were blitzing a safety? I don't know. Like the Godwin bomb... it seemed the defensive plays were being called in a vacuum (devoid of knowledge of down-and-distance). I don't think there is much anyone can take away from that game. It was a mind-boggling bad performance. What I have pivoted to in this discussion is what I see as a broader problem with Brown (something that is beyond Saturday's debacle).

And, yes... there are schemes we haven't been able to use because of personnel. But (as you posted) that has always been the case at BC... and likely always will be the case. BC needs a DC who will find ways to maximize the talent we have and minimize their (some years considerable) deficiencies. I have not seen Donnie even attempt to do that... and THAT is my biggest concern.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:43 am

... and yet another week that the Gameday thread has gone full retard.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:46 am

My biggest concern was on the 3rd and 15 in overtime when their big slow tight end ran a 5 yard out route and somehow there was no one within 20 yards of him when he caught the ball. Seems to be a recurring theme with our pass defense that we just concede huge chunks of the field on obvious passing downs or situations (I have several distinct memories of QBs burning our blitz by seemingly checking at the line to a simple pass to a RB out of the backfield). My impression of the D in the bowl game was that Brown got spooked by the big play over the top and overcompensated.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:52 am

The talent difference between Penn State's WR/CB/S and our respective group was immense.
The fact that they were under sanctions and still able to out recruit us at these positions is remarkable.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:58 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Wait. what? The defense didn't distinguish itself against FSU and Clemson? Jesus.

Never go full retard.

You do realize that Cole Stoudt (with a bum shoulder) was the QB for Clemson that day. I know... I know... them putting up 400 yards and him engineering a 4th quarter game deciding 82-yard TD drive could make you forget all that.

As for FSU, that was simply the best and most consistent their offense looked all year. They amassed 400-yards and only punted TWICE all game. FSU did not score more because we milked the hell out of the clock on each offensive possession (by design... according to Daz he wanted to shorten the game). Now... in fairness, that may have understandably all been lost on you as you spent that evening ranting about how much you hate BC alums and all.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:05 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:The talent difference between Penn State's WR/CB/S and our respective group was immense.
The fact that they were under sanctions and still able to out recruit us at these positions is remarkable.

Not really.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Never go full retard.

You do realize that Cole Stoudt (with a bum shoulder) was the QB for Clemson that day. I know... I know... them putting up 400 yards and him engineering a 4th quarter game deciding 82-yard TD drive could make you forget all that.

As for FSU, that was simply the best and most consistent their offense looked all year. They amassed 400-yards and only punted TWICE all game. FSU did not score more because we milked the hell out of the clock on each offensive possession (by design... according to Daz he wanted to shorten the game). Now... in fairness, that may have understandably all been lost on you as you spent that evening ranting about how much you hate BC alums and all.

Full retard it is, I guess. Fuck, we lost the yardage national championship. Maybe we can go to the TOP national championship for the offense.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:12 pm

FSU points 20 - average, 34.6
Clemson points 17 - average, 26.2
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Clemson points 17 - average, 26.2

That isn't what they were scoring with Cole Stoudt as QB.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Brooklyneagle on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:23 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Chronologically, the tailgating was awesome. Showed up at 10 on the Harlem River and that place turned into Shea Field before Nazism struck. Started out mostly ped state fans but BC filled in, probably assumed it was a rule across America that you could only tailgate in a city for 3 hours before a game. Also again Bates, if you give people more than 3 hours to tailgate, they get in on time. How was the BC bar? Didn't go cause there was no way in hell I was dropping $40 for 2 drink tickets.

I remember looking at my phone at one point quite a while after we got there and thinking "holy shit, kickoff isn't even for another 2 hours". Great time.

Epstein, not sure where you were sitting but in the 200s the BC fans were great, didn't get down in front'd once.

Ped St & Maryland fans deserve each other in the B1G.

Incredibly shitty way to end a good season.

I had some guy bitch at us for "yelling in his ear" when BC was on D, but he wasn't wearing colors of either school so not sure if he was a BC fan. Our section was overwhelmingly BC but there were a handful of PSU stragglers from Stubhub I guess, one of whom was sitting on the end of the aisle behind mine and took objection to my Sandusky comments as we were leaving. Me and him start jawing, my friend ushers me along, I get up a few steps and happen to look back just in time to see him sucker punch my friend. I jumped back down fists swinging and it all got broken up within seconds. Classy guy. Overall their fans are an embarrassment, I don't spend much time in Pennsylvania any more and the PSU fans I know personally mostly have some sense of perspective but holy shit a ton of these people just have no concept of shame.

This isn't a personal thing so please don't take it this way.

The PSU fans around me were fine aside from one or two jerks. Having said that, why are we dropping Sandusky comments? It's childish, classless and overall reflects really poorly on the fan base as a whole. It happened, it's done, but why a BC fan would ever find it in good taste to do that is beyond me. It reflects really poorly on the person and the fan base. One of the things I like about BC is we win and lose with class and dignity unlike so many awful fan bases, including Penn St.

Again, don't take it personally because I saw others doing it and found it equally as disgusting.

And how long have you been a member here?

This board is what it is ultimately but at a game I expect better from BC fans.

Again, lose with class, the team did that yesterday.

This. Emphatically.

If I had been in the U.S., I and my family would surely have been at the game. It is one thing for the immature to obsess about Sandusky here on this board -- as though that tragedy had been somehow inevitable at PSU and reflected on all their fans. I would have been embarrassed to hear such classless comments repeated in public at the game. What poor sportsmanship!
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:28 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

They scored 17 points or less 3 times. BC, FSU and Syracuse. Regardless of QB.

Clemson averaged 30.2 ppg with Stoudt starting. Removing the two patsies and BC - leaving Georgia and the other conference games, they averaged 23.5 points per game.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:45 pm

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Chronologically, the tailgating was awesome. Showed up at 10 on the Harlem River and that place turned into Shea Field before Nazism struck. Started out mostly ped state fans but BC filled in, probably assumed it was a rule across America that you could only tailgate in a city for 3 hours before a game. Also again Bates, if you give people more than 3 hours to tailgate, they get in on time. How was the BC bar? Didn't go cause there was no way in hell I was dropping $40 for 2 drink tickets.

I remember looking at my phone at one point quite a while after we got there and thinking "holy shit, kickoff isn't even for another 2 hours". Great time.

Epstein, not sure where you were sitting but in the 200s the BC fans were great, didn't get down in front'd once.

I had some guy bitch at us for "yelling in his ear" when BC was on D, but he wasn't wearing colors of either school so not sure if he was a BC fan. Our section was overwhelmingly BC but there were a handful of PSU stragglers from Stubhub I guess, one of whom was sitting on the end of the aisle behind mine and took objection to my Sandusky comments as we were leaving. Me and him start jawing, my friend ushers me along, I get up a few steps and happen to look back just in time to see him sucker punch my friend. I jumped back down fists swinging and it all got broken up within seconds. Classy guy. Overall their fans are an embarrassment, I don't spend much time in Pennsylvania any more and the PSU fans I know personally mostly have some sense of perspective but holy shit a ton of these people just have no concept of shame.

The PSU fans around me were fine aside from one or two jerks. Having said that, why are we dropping Sandusky comments? It's childish, classless and overall reflects really poorly on the fan base as a whole. It happened, it's done, but why a BC fan would ever find it in good taste to do that is beyond me. It reflects really poorly on the person and the fan base. One of the things I like about BC is we win and lose with class and dignity unlike so many awful fan bases, including Penn St.

Again, don't take it personally because I saw others doing it and found it equally as disgusting.

This. Emphatically.

If I had been in the U.S., I and my family would surely have been at the game. It is one thing for the immature to obsess about Sandusky here on this board -- as though that tragedy had been somehow inevitable at PSU and reflected on all their fans. I would have been embarrassed to hear such classless comments repeated in public at the game. What poor sportsmanship!

This is a unique situation.
Employees of the university knowingly covered up child abuse... the worst possible crime against humanity.
I have no problem reminding them of what they did until their mouth-breathing fan-base accepts what happened as opposed to rallying around it because they perceive themselves as true victims. Their reaction to the crisis is so disgusting; it is slap in the face to the REAL victims in this horrible tragedy.

* I was not at the game

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:53 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This. Emphatically.

Employees of the university knowingly covered up child abuse... the worst possible crime against humanity.
I have no problem reminding them of what they did until their mouth-breathing fan-base accepts what happened as opposed to rallying around it because they perceive themselves as true victims. Their reaction to the crisis is so disgusting; it is slap in the face to the REAL victims in this horrible tragedy.

* I was not at the game

This. It's not trying to find any excuse to talk shit to am opposing fan base. When more than a small minority of PSU fans own up to what happened and stop playing the victim card then we can all move on. Sadly if that hasn't happened by now it probably never will.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:01 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Also - I feel bad for the kickers and the people shitting on them can get lost. They suck and our coaching staff all season put them in position to fail. As I said before, at some point you blame the game planners not the players.

Agree.

But if they 'suck', should they be given a guaranteed 4 year scholarship when in reality players scholies must be renewed each year? Or because they 'suck', and the coaches continually 'put them in a position to fail', should the coaches revoke knolls scholie, and replace him with someone who doesn't 'suck' so that the coaches no longer put our K's in a position to fail?

If we wanna be a program that pulls schollies for poor performance you'll be looking at a holy cross team out there in a few years

Being a former athlete on scholarship that didn't perform up to expectations because of injury, I agree.... Pulling the Schollie would be an asshat move. All I saying is, he was put in the right position... He made 3xps and a fg..... Only missed the last one

Higgi, What sport did you play?
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:06 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:Also - I feel bad for the kickers and the people shitting on them can get lost. They suck and our coaching staff all season put them in position to fail. As I said before, at some point you blame the game planners not the players.

Agree.

But if they 'suck', should they be given a guaranteed 4 year scholarship when in reality players scholies must be renewed each year? Or because they 'suck', and the coaches continually 'put them in a position to fail', should the coaches revoke knolls scholie, and replace him with someone who doesn't 'suck' so that the coaches no longer put our K's in a position to fail?

If we wanna be a program that pulls schollies for poor performance you'll be looking at a holy cross team out there in a few years

Being a former athlete on scholarship that didn't perform up to expectations because of injury, I agree.... Pulling the Schollie would be an asshat move. All I saying is, he was put in the right position... He made 3xps and a fg..... Only missed the last one

Higgi, What sport did you play?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:25 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This. Emphatically.

* I was not at the game

This. It's not trying to find any excuse to talk shit to am opposing fan base. When more than a small minority of PSU fans own up to what happened and stop playing the victim card then we can all move on. Sadly if that hasn't happened by now it probably never will.

Again, it accomplished nothing and paints the fan base in a bad light. I was at the Ohio St/Penn St game soon after the story dropped and Ohio St fans had the common sense to tell their own fans who made any mention of this to knock it off.

Not a personal attack on either of you.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Clemson averaged 30.2 ppg with Stoudt starting. Removing the two patsies and BC - leaving Georgia and the other conference games, they averaged 23.5 points per game.

What in the hell are you talking about?

Louisville - 23 points (Watson played the first half)
BC - 17 points
Cuse - 16 points
Wake - 34 points
GT - 6 points (Watson only played the first series)
Georgia State - 28 points

In games in which Stoudt was the primary QB, Clemson scored 20 points per game. And... even those numbers are inflated given the opponent (as is giving him credit for the Louisville score considering how badly he played once Watson gave them a healthy start).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

BC - 17 points
Cuse - 16 points
Wake - 34 points

In games in which Stoudt was the primary QB, Clemson scored 20 points per game. And... even those numbers are inflated given the opponent (as is giving him credit for the Louisville score considering how badly he played once Watson gave them a healthy start).

Stoudt started the first two games of the season. Good effort, however.

Watson threw 6 passes for -5 yards in the L'Ville game. Stoudt got a head start because of a punt return and a fumble return.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

BC - 17 points
Cuse - 16 points
Wake - 34 points

Stoudt started the first two games of the season. Good effort, however.

Watson threw 6 passes for -5 yards in the L'Ville game. Stoudt got a head start because of a punt return and a fumble return.

Oh, and I will give you GT even though Watson started and played a quarter and a half.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Brooklyneagle on Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:24 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This. Emphatically.

* I was not at the game

Again, it accomplished nothing and paints the fan base in a bad light. I was at the Ohio St/Penn St game soon after the story dropped and Ohio St fans had the common sense to tell their own fans who made any mention of this to knock it off.

It's not whether PSU's fans somehow share in Sandusky's crimes -- which is quite a stretch and apparently based only on whatever of their posters fail to accept such personal guilt or dispute who besides Sandusky was at fault -- it's really all about how BC fans conduct themselves. If some PSU fan defended Sandusky, some response from us might be acceptable. Otherwise, show some class.
Brooklyneagle
Carney Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:09 pm

Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Brooklyneagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

This. Emphatically.

* I was not at the game

It's not whether PSU's fans somehow share in Sandusky's crimes -- which is quite a stretch and apparently based only on whatever of their posters fail to accept such personal guilt or dispute who besides Sandusky was at fault -- it's really all about how BC fans conduct themselves. If some PSU fan defended Sandusky, some response from us might be acceptable. Otherwise, show some class.

This. It's about how we act. Unless one of them started shit with you...

I didn't meet one PSU fan who said anything negative to us, and most were very complimentary both before and after the game. We sat at a bar next to PSU fans after the game. A long discussion finally made it around to Sandusky. It was mostly based in reality. None denied what happened. They agreed that politics is keeping the President and AD out of jail. Their debate was about how much JoePa and others knew, who should have done what, that Paterno was too venerated, etc... while this is painful to them as fans and alumni, one mentioned that they know the abused kids are the real victims. One of the women came over to us and quietly mentioned that she had to go for a smoke because the topic is discussed all the time and it's torturous. Are some of their fans obnoxious Joe defenders without a sense of reality? Yes, but I don't think it's the majority. I don't think the messages on this board represent how we act in real life, and I don't think we represent all BC fans, either - which is a good thing, because after reading reactions on places like FB and ATL, there's a tremendous amount of shitheads and dimwits in our fan base.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium