Pinstripe Gameday thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Pinstripe Gameday thread

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:26 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:I think Donny's biggest failure was valuing seniority over actual ability. It's pretty clear that John Johnson is better than some of the older guys out there. Same goes for guys like Landry

I watched Moore and Dawson get torched out there as well.

The secondary sucks and has all season. Brown never made an adjustment.

I love Asprilla, just not in m-2-m coverage with Penn St's good WRs
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:31 am

Aside from the coaching and kicking, the difference in those teams were Penn St's elite WRs and DBs. We recruited all of them and lost of all of them and will continue to lose.

If BC has Blacknell and the other kid, we'd be in a BCS Bowl and would stomp that Penn St team.

Day wasn't good yesterday and not getting the ball to Allston is bad, but what do you suggest he call on offense when we have Crimmins, Bordner, Callahan and Dudeck as our WRs?

Lastly, the BC portion of the crowd sucked. I felt like we were in Happy Valley
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:43 am

Chronologically, the tailgating was awesome. Showed up at 10 on the Harlem River and that place turned into Shea Field before Nazism struck. Started out mostly ped state fans but BC filled in, probably assumed it was a rule across America that you could only tailgate in a city for 3 hours before a game. Also again Bates, if you give people more than 3 hours to tailgate, they get in on time. How was the BC bar? Didn't go cause there was no way in hell I was dropping $40 for 2 drink tickets.

I kept saying throughout the game about Sherm not getting any touches, thought the play against their D was to use more spread / speed than simply Hilliman. Granted Hilliman ran very well. I just don't get not using Sherm at all, shit even faking the fly sweep.

Defensively, I'm not off the Don Brown boat because we've seen his D can work but he's done a much worse job adapting to his talent (or away from weaknesses) than the offensive side of the ball. Ped St was doing us a favor every time they ran the ball. We need better DBs.

Epstein, not sure where you were sitting but in the 200s the BC fans were great, didn't get down in front'd once.

Ped St & Maryland fans deserve each other in the B1G.

Incredibly shitty way to end a good season.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:49 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:I think Donny's biggest failure was valuing seniority over actual ability. It's pretty clear that John Johnson is better than some of the older guys out there. Same goes for guys like Landry

Johnson played in the 4thQ and OT. He had a cast on his wrist. Did Landry play at all?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:04 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:This game was as BC as it gets. Real sweet game for Manny Asprilla. Holy shit was he bad. Feel bad for Tyler Murphy. He deserved more than 7 wins this year.

Asprilla gave up 200 yards on his own, why he continued to play 15 yards off the WR is beyond me.

This game was very BC.

Thanks Tyler Murphy for making this season fun at least, you'll certainly be missed

Because if he played less than 15 yards off of the WR he would have given up 400 yards.

But somehow Don Brown is supposed to magically turn that turd into a diamond.

You tripped into the correct point.

This system will never work because it required elite CBs, something BC has never had and never will

This has always been a problem with the "give Donnie more time" crowd. His system works great with elite CBs, NFL-ready DLinemen and Luke-like LBs. What system DOESNT work with that talent??? Further, the response about him being better than Spaz is bullshit (as if two decaying DCs from Mass are the only options). I hate the man with the burning passion of a thousand suns, but there is simply no fucking way you can say Donnie Brown is a better Defensive Coordinator than Spazerelli.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:10 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:This game was as BC as it gets. Real sweet game for Manny Asprilla. Holy shit was he bad. Feel bad for Tyler Murphy. He deserved more than 7 wins this year.

Asprilla gave up 200 yards on his own, why he continued to play 15 yards off the WR is beyond me.

This game was very BC.

Thanks Tyler Murphy for making this season fun at least, you'll certainly be missed

Because if he played less than 15 yards off of the WR he would have given up 400 yards.

But somehow Don Brown is supposed to magically turn that turd into a diamond.

You tripped into the correct point.

This system will never work because it required elite CBs, something BC has never had and never will

This has always been a problem with the "give Donnie more time" crowd. His system works great with elite CBs, NFL-ready DLinemen and Luke-like LBs. What system DOESNT work with that talent??? Further, the response about him being better than Spaz is bullshit (as if two decaying DCs from Mass are the only options). I hate the man with the burning passion of a thousand suns, but there is simply no fucking way you can say Donnie Brown is a better Defensive Coordinator than Spazerelli.

It is completely unsurprising that your posting has increased twenty fold following a bad loss. You are wrong on Brown.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:11 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Johnson played in the 4thQ and OT. He had a cast on his wrist. Did Landry play at all?

Landry played. He was the one who was hurt on the unsportmanlike conduct play that Ped State and who Ped State fans lustily booed when he was helped off the field. Classy. It is what set up the 2nd and goal from the 17 which Donnie Brown immediately surrendered a TD on the next play to tie the game.

2nd or 3rd and 15 or greater is fucking Kryptonite to our DC.
Last edited by HJS on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:14 am

Landry played in his usual back up DL rotation, but the fact you asked showed the impact.

BTW that was Dominique Williams who was booed off the field by Pedos when he was hurt
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:22 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Landry played in his usual back up DL rotation, but the fact you asked showed the impact.

BTW that was Dominique Williams who was booed off the field by Pedos when he was hurt

Fwiw they booed because he got hurt when Gaia hit him late resulting in the unsportsmanlike call on the goal line, which while obviously a penalty was called in a situation whistles really should stay put.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:29 am

I agree with all complaining about Alstons touches but he had three or four targets in the first half that he couldn't hold on to. None were good throws, but some were catchable.

Did any team defend the jet sweep well?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:31 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Landry played in his usual back up DL rotation, but the fact you asked showed the impact.

Fwiw they booed because he got hurt when Gaia hit him late resulting in the unsportsmanlike call on the goal line, which while obviously a penalty was called in a situation whistles really should stay put.

From the spots to the penalties the officiating was comically bad for both sides yesterday

My favorite was the holding on Silberman where the ref threw the flag after hilliman was tackled 12 yards downfield
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:33 am

One thing that I think has been overlooked was the loss of Bryce Jones. He was a bit of a punk, but he was our best CB this year by far. He would helped the D because he had talent and experience.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:33 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I agree with all complaining about Alstons touches but he had three or four targets in the first half that he couldn't hold on to. None were good throws, but some were catchable.

Did any team defend the jet sweep well?

The first target on the flanker screen was fine (one of the few on the day from Murphy). Alston just flat-out dropped it.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:34 am

Few comments before I read all the threads:

1. At some point the kicking failures are on addazio. Know your players. Go for 2 - and that's not MMQB...lots of people have said that this year.
2. Nice of atl's lover to use our most dynamic player yesterday.
3. Horrible clock management on the drive when we ended up kicking a fg. Penn st shouldn't have gotten the ball back. We were snapping w 20 seconds on the playclock at times
4. I am so tired of the adaziani apologists saying how much better he is than spaz. Spaz was a historically bad coach.
5. This one is on the defense
6. Good showing by bc crowd if you ask me
7. The only rules for tailgating were open after 9 am and close before 11 pm. Lol bc.
8. Adaziani may be a great salesman but everybody knew when he got hired his deficiency was in in game coaching and he's done little to improve in that if you ask me.

Long story short, good to be back to playing exciting games, but very little makes me think we've got a head coach who can put us back above Tobias. The amount of 4th quarter meltdowns this year was alarming.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:38 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Few comments before I read all the threads:

1. At some point the kicking failures are on addazio. Know your players. Go for 2 - and that's not MMQB...lots of people have said that this year.
3. Horrible clock management on the drive when we ended up kicking a fg. Penn st shouldn't have gotten the ball back. We were snapping w 20 seconds on the playclock at times
4. I am so tired of the adaziani apologists saying how much better he is than spaz. Spaz was a historically bad coach.
7. The only rules for tailgating were open after 9 am and close before 11 pm. Lol bc.
8. Adaziani may be a great salesman but everybody knew when he got hired his deficiency was in in game coaching and he's done little to improve in that if you ask me.

Long story short, good to be back to playing exciting games, but very little makes me think we've got a head coach who can put us back above Tobias. The amount of 4th quarter meltdowns this year was alarming.

this
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:43 am

If he were to go for two in overtime he should be fired at the same moment regardless of result.

Agree with 2 and 3, don't care about 4, half agree with 5, don't care about 6 and 7, 8 is reactionary.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby branchinator on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:44 am

Good post. Addazio has done a good job of taking us from laughingstock to decent but I have zero confidence he'll take us from decent to ACC contender. He talks a good game but he looks confused on the sidelines far too often and his teams have melted down far too often for me to be bullish about his future. I think what TOB accomplished is Addazio's ceiling.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:47 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:Good post. Addazio has done a good job of taking us from laughingstock to decent but I have zero confidence he'll take us from decent to ACC contender. He talks a good game but he looks confused on the sidelines far too often and his teams have melted down far too often for me to be bullish about his future. I think what TOB accomplished is Addazio's ceiling.

Are you the one that made the seniority comment above? Who were you talking about if so?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:49 am

Unfortunately, Mike Knoll is not a D1 kicker. Add in all the missed PATs and it is really in his head and seems unlikely he can be salvaged. Whoever you care to blame (Addazio or McGowan) it now needs to be fixed. Hopefully, they can recruit a D1 level kicker.

On a side note, it really hurts to see the guy, who should be kicking at BC, Michael Geiger now kicking at Michigan State.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby branchinator on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:52 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:Good post. Addazio has done a good job of taking us from laughingstock to decent but I have zero confidence he'll take us from decent to ACC contender. He talks a good game but he looks confused on the sidelines far too often and his teams have melted down far too often for me to be bullish about his future. I think what TOB accomplished is Addazio's ceiling.

Are you the one that made the seniority comment above? Who were you talking about if so?

No, I did not make that comment. I tend to focus on the mediocrity that is our current head coach.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:54 am

Re 2 pts, I was referring to just by default, not specifically that situation.

That said, it said it all how on that 4th down late in the 4th from the 2 a lot of people in my section were speculating if we would go for it, and the general consensus (me included) was we wouldn't blame them if they did.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:02 am

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:Unfortunately, Mike Knoll is not a D1 kicker. Add in all the missed PATs and it is really in his head and seems unlikely he can be salvaged. Whoever you care to blame (Addazio or McGowan) it now needs to be fixed. Hopefully, they can recruit a D1 level kicker.

On a side note, it really hurts to see the guy, who should be kicking at BC, Michael Geiger now kicking at Michigan State.

Mike Knoll is 6 months removed from High School. Yesterday was only his 5th game. Prior to the OT miss, he was 13 of 14 on extra points (the OT miss was his second). On the season, he was 3-4 on FGs with a 40-yard make and a 36-yard miss. I'm not writing him off yet. Let me remind that our best ever kicker (Freese) missed a game-winning chipshot in the middle-schmiddle loss to Duke his freshman year.

But, we should bring in another kicker or a walk-on in case he is damaged (or gets injured).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby irishman on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:09 am

...well, from the perspective of a Pennsylvania resident, unhappily surrounded by throngs of deluded Blue & Whiters, I'll say it's good to see you guys progress, but man, you really choked that game away...and now I've got to sit down to dinner tonight with my rabid PSU inlaws, and all I'm going to hear is how Hackenberg, one of the worst rated QB's in the nation this year, is the rosy cheeked, baby faced savior of PSU football...3rd and 15, in OT, can you guys not at least harass him, and force him into one of his patented bad decisions...and then that FG drive, how do you not milk the clock more than you did...and your kicker, well, he caused me a sleepless night, now not only do I have to eat with the rabid inlaws, but I'm going to be exhausted as well, and will say something I probably shouldn't...and who knows...there is an abundance of divorce lawyers out there...just saying...

...jeez, you guys...you had the game won... :suicide
irishman
n00b

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:14 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:Re 2 pts, I was referring to just by default, not specifically that situation.

That said, it said it all how on that 4th down late in the 4th from the 2 a lot of people in my section were speculating if we would go for it, and the general consensus (me included) was we wouldn't blame them if they did.

I thought they should go for it as there was no way the D was going to stop them from getting into FG range (as Donnie would assuredly play prevent). I thought we'd have a chance that the prevent would stop a TD. I also figured if we didn't convert from the 2, Franklin would have played the next series conservatively to make sure we didn't get the ball back. Basically, I figured a failed 4th down put us in the same position to be in OT as a FG but a TD likely wins us the game. Of course, there was also the real chance we could miss the FG (which further tipped the scale in favor of going for it).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:23 am

Did Ty-Meer Brown not know if he had caught the ball on the first play of OT we would have automatically won the game? He celebrated as if he had not completely fucked up dropping that int thrown right to him. :suicide :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:29 am

Logitano {l Wrote}:Did Ty-Meer Brown not know if he had caught the ball on the first play of OT we would have automatically won the game? He celebrated as if he had not completely fucked up dropping that int thrown right to him. :suicide :ace

It's entirely possible given his diploma.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:Unfortunately, Mike Knoll is not a D1 kicker. Add in all the missed PATs and it is really in his head and seems unlikely he can be salvaged. Whoever you care to blame (Addazio or McGowan) it now needs to be fixed. Hopefully, they can recruit a D1 level kicker.

Mike Knoll is 6 months removed from High School. Yesterday was only his 5th game. Prior to the OT miss, he was 13 of 14 on extra points (the OT miss was his second). On the season, he was 3-4 on FGs with a 40-yard make and a 36-yard miss. I'm not writing him off yet. Let me remind that our best ever kicker (Freese) missed a game-winning chipshot in the middle-schmiddle loss to Duke his freshman year.

But, we should bring in another kicker or a walk-on in case he is damaged (or gets injured).

Stop making excuses for Knoll, it sounds pathetic.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:53 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

this

This is pretty close. The clock management on the last drive was awful, PSU never should have gotten that ball back.

In the BC section I'm sure the crowd was fine. In the non-allotment sections it was 95% Penn St fans. When we were on offense it sounded like Happy Valley.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby branchinator on Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:54 am

BC had a 14 pt late 3rd quarter lead against one of the worst offenses in college football. The fact that Knoll even played a role shows how badly this team choked in the 4th quarter.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:00 pm

I should amend that I was in the heart of the bc section in the 200s so I have no idea what the upper tank looked like above us in terms of neutrals / bc etc

70/30 sounds right, which is pretty good if you ask me. 15-20k bc fans is a damn good showing for a bowl game.

Our fans were very into it - standing for a lot etc etc. it was very unlike alumni actually

Also - this was my first experience interacting with a large state school (never been to Tallahassee)...very happy we are in the ACC not the B1G. Much much better fit.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium