2016 BC vs. GT in Ireland?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016 BC vs. GT in Ireland?

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:31 pm

GASSON LEVEL THREAT!
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:32 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I'm assuming the people who are complaining about this are members of whatever Peewee Football team we use to inflate attendance through free tix.

im assuming the people who are complaining about the people who are complaining about this dont pay to tailgate & attend 7 games in alumni stadium every year

I'm assuming the people who are complaining about the people who are complaining donate significantly more than the people who are complaining.

HJS has been an :81 alias all this time?

CAG opened the :81 door...

Fair enough counselor. I'll allow it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:32 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:NO ONE IS DOING THINGS TO MAKE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN BC FOOTBALL

PEOPLE ARE DOING THINGS TO TRY AND MAKE PEOPLE INTERESTED IN BC FOOTBALL

This. There is a significantly greater chance I would attend the GT game in Dublin than there is that I would attend the GT game in Alumni Stadium.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:35 pm

I'll probably go, I just think it is stupid to play a home conference game in a foreign country.

If this were Army or ND I would say nothing.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:37 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'll probably go, I just think it is stupid to play a home conference game in a foreign country.

This.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:47 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'll probably go, I just think it is stupid to play a home conference game in a foreign country.

I mostly agree with this and would throw in Rutgers, Penn State, Ohio State, Michigan and maybe Temple, UMASS or UCONN (not sure if any of those schools would bring the numbers).

How about Tulane or LSU? There are some Irish in Louisiana.
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:47 pm

Exactly. I think that conference games at any neutral site are a stupid idea (exception being Red River Rivalry).
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:48 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:

Exactly. I think that conference games at any neutral site are a stupid idea (exception being Red River Rivalry).

and UF / UGA, etc etc

i completely agree with your premise though
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby BC923 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:48 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Dumb. If we are to give up a home game it should only be to play a :skank in Fenway or Foxboro.

Is this part of the same deal to move the Beanpot to Belfast?

The Beanpot in Belfast is a special kind of stupid.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:48 pm

BC923 {l Wrote}:

If it is played at a neutral site every year because they can fill huge stadiums, then fine. BC doesn't have that problem.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

If it is played at a neutral site every year because they can fill huge stadiums, then fine. BC doesn't have that problem.

I was at the game the last time GT played in Alumni... I don't think it would be a stretch to say that BC will probably have a better atmosphere/home-field advantage in Dublin.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

I was at the game the last time GT played in Alumni... I don't think it would be a stretch to say that BC will probably have a better atmosphere/home-field advantage in Dublin.

That's only part of the point. Traveling multiple time zones east for a home game is dumb.

And I was there when Herzy missed the only tackle I think I saw him miss in 4 years on the long Dwyer run as well.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

That's only part of the point. Traveling multiple time zones east for a home game is dumb.

And I was there when Herzy missed the only tackle I think I saw him miss in 4 years on the long Dwyer run as well.

While true... it was all set up by a Crane Safety (after he had already had 3 turnovers in the 2nd half). I believe that is the game that spawned the "nobody could be worse than Chris Crane" meme.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:18 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

While true... it was all set up by a Crane Safety (after he had already had 3 turnovers in the 2nd half). I believe that is the game that spawned the "nobody could be worse than Chris Crane" meme.

I didn't mean to imply that he was the only reason they lost. It was just odd to see such a poor angle and missed tackle from him, and it was the game winning score.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:21 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

Exactly.

Also, check out sports psychology studies pointing out the advantage of just being in your home stadium/locker room for pregame preparation as opposed to a stadium/locker room you are not familiar with....Its a disadvantage to be traveling to Ireland for an ACC home game and its also stupid on its own merit. Play some OOC team out there.

Do you have a link to those studies so I can send it Notre Dame (and AngryDick)? Do those sports psychology studies discuss how much more the disadvantage is for the home team than the away team? Do those sports psychology studies discuss why the disadvantage only attaches to conference games and not OOC games?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:23 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

I didn't mean to imply that he was the only reason they lost. It was just odd to see such a poor angle and missed tackle from him, and it was the game winning score.

Understood. I'm just saying I recall the game more for the slap of reality I felt in the first game post-Matt Ryan. Pretty incredible that we made it back the ACCCG that year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

Exactly.

Also, check out sports psychology studies pointing out the advantage of just being in your home stadium/locker room for pregame preparation as opposed to a stadium/locker room you are not familiar with....Its a disadvantage to be traveling to Ireland for an ACC home game and its also stupid on its own merit. Play some OOC team out there.

Do you have a link to those studies so I can send it Notre Dame (and AngryDick)? Do those sports psychology studies discuss how much more the disadvantage is for the home team than the away team? Do those sports psychology studies discuss why the disadvantage only attaches to conference games and not OOC games?

It attaches to OOC games, but those don't matter as much.

ND's struggled with an abysmal Purdue team this year in Indy. They barely beat an ASU team that wasn't good yet the year before in Cowboy Stadium. I had to go back to 2012 to find a good performance in one of those games - the year they played for the National Title mind you - when they blew out Navy in Ireland and Miami in Soldier Field.

You don't think that ND would have a bigger advantage playing BC in South Bend over playing BC in Fenway Park?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:40 pm

It's done for recruiting and publicity, not the fans.

Dublin is one of the most overrated cities in the world.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:24 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BC923 {l Wrote}:

You wouldn't be saying that if the wings had gotten delivered to GT's training room and not ours
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:40 pm

also, cue the kid :gif:

but now that we've graduated from going for spaz's right "fit", you really think our new clientele will care that we play in dublin?
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:01 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:also, cue the kid :gif:

but now that we've graduated from going for spaz's right "fit", you really think our new clientele will care that we play in dublin?

Free trip to another country will probably open up some eyes and ears
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:20 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:also, cue the kid :gif:

Free trip to another country will probably open up some eyes and ears

Absolutely its a free trip to Ireland. Regardless of how I feel about Dublin players will think its really cool.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:08 am

Would people travel to Ireland to see BC play Army? Would UCF make BC fans want to go to Dublin? Probably not. For BC, I think you need a solid opponent to get people out there and GT fits that definition. Not easy to get an OOC opponent that would entice BC fans to go to Ireland.

Also, you have to wonder how much of this is ACC/ESPN.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:04 am

this is actually really good for recruiting. a nice perk of playing at BC that is hard to find elsewhere. that's a solid competitive advantage.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:36 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Dublin is one of the most overrated cities in the world.

Agreed. If I go, you'll find me on a train or ferry to somewhere more interesting ~20 minutes after the final whistle.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:09 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Would people travel to Ireland to see BC play Army? Would UCF make BC fans want to go to Dublin? Probably not. For BC, I think you need a solid opponent to get people out there and GT fits that definition. Not easy to get an OOC opponent that would entice BC fans to go to Ireland.

My point wasn't about marketing, it was about winning. Marketing is important. Winning is better.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Dec 24, 2014 4:51 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

Eh, if we were talking about some mid tier bowl game I'd agree with you but I would say people who are gonna go to Ireland to see BC play are going to do so regardless of opponent. And even if not GT is a solid program but it's not like they're Alabama.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:03 pm

Dublin was a cool city till the Celtic Tiger boom, then it became a velvet rope rip off the tourists destinstion. Still, I'd go, drive into the game from cork or Galway or Belfast.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby Reverend Mike on Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:01 am

I honestly can't believe people are bitching about this.

This is the best news I've heard since it was announced that TRE would be part of the halftime sign spinning corps at the taxslayer.com bowl.
Reverend Mike
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Thu Dec 25, 2014 5:01 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

It is a little of both but not enough to force us to do it. The Irish are picking up most of the expensive stuff. ESPN will throw a few extra bucks in for a 9 AM ET game, but that is not driving this. Plus whatever ESPN throws in won't go directly to BC and GT. It would go to the ACC. Hopefully this gets us out of our Friday commitment in 2016. Based on the article it sounds like the game would be played Labor Day Weekend. That's good from a travel standpoint.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium