YUKON TO THE B12

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: YUKON TO THE B12

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:01 am

Getting rid of the divisional setup and still having a conference championship game is :clownshoes.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:08 am

hansen {l Wrote}:Getting rid of the divisional setup and still having a conference championship game is :clownshoes.

We're stuck in the Atlantic with VT as a crossover. It's fun to play against good teams but any shakeup to the system is very good for BC.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:15 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Getting rid of the divisional setup and still having a conference championship game is :clownshoes.

We're stuck in the Atlantic with VT as a crossover. It's fun to play against good teams but any shakeup to the system is very good for BC.

Yes, because it's 2007 and vpi is a perennial powerhouse
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:31 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

They've won 4 ACC titles in the 10 years they've been around. A couple bad seasons and all the sudden they suck forever? No program has more potential in the coastal than VPI except for maybe Miami. I'd switch to Dook and their 2 seasons of mediocre greatness in a second.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:20 am

youre out of your mind if you'd rather play duke over the next 5 years than vt

my preferred order:

1. UVA
2. VT
3. Pitt
4. Miami
5. Duke
6. GT

UNC off the board w their potential trouble ahead but id slot them between Miami and Duke if I had to.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:46 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

They've won 4 ACC titles in the 10 years they've been around. A couple bad seasons and all the sudden they suck forever? No program has more potential in the coastal than VPI except for maybe Miami. I'd switch to Dook and their 2 seasons of mediocre greatness in a second.

miami's won 5 national championships. a couple bad seasons and all the sudden they suck forever...

if you disagree, feel free to give me a call from your flip-phone (that is likely still fashionable in your time)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:50 am

On second thought Pitt / VT are interchangible in my rankings but the rest I stand by
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:03 am

VT
Miami
UVA
Duke
Pitt
Ga Tech
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:21 am

Being in the same conference as UVA* and only getting one road trip to Charlottesville** every 14 years is :clownshoes:

* or UNC, GT, MIami, Pitt, Duke
** or Chapel Hill, Atlanta, Coral Gables, Pittsburgh, Durham
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:31 am

talon {l Wrote}:

Being in the same conference as UVA* and only getting one road trip to Charlottesville** every 14 years is :clownshoes:

This.

I think doing away with divisions and each conference selecting its own criteria for championship game participants has the potential to be very ugly however. Really don't want to see top-two-ranked-teams. That would definitely be terrible for BC.

Strict tiebreakers, with above all head-to-head prioritized.

Agree with what was mentioned above: 3 fixed conference opponents and alternating the other 10. But the other 10 need to be staggered in some way, so its not just playing teams 1-5 in odd years and 6-10 in even years. Fluidity.

Also, you can ensure some SOS parity with the fixed opponents. Which means no team should get to play more than one perpetual cellar dwellar (like Wake and NCST) every year. Gotta break up the terrible football teams in North Carolina. Do that, and that's a satisfying setup.

And, just because we need more conference realignment around here: the setup is really ideal with 16 teams and 9 conference games. 4 roughly even pods for competitive fairness, 3 fixed opponents and 6 rotating opponents. Come on ND and PSU!
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:48 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:Also, you can ensure some SOS parity with the fixed opponents. Which means no team should get to play more than one perpetual cellar dwellar (like Wake and NCST) every year.

this concept and approach will always be flawed in the long run. see "florida state-atlantic/miami-coastal" and other similar examples.

unlike strat eagle's world, a team that is strong now will not always be strong and a team that is weak now will not always be weak. dook (historically poor team playing well) and rcc (historically strong team sucking ass) are other examples in my own backyard. there are too many variables in college football to try to squeeze the schedule into a performance box.

other than this flawed concept, i think your ideas are good ones... three set games a year on a home-and-home rotation and 5 games split among the other 10 teams. as far as how you figure out the rotation for those 10 teams... i say hire a numbers guy
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:06 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

This.

I think doing away with divisions and each conference selecting its own criteria for championship game participants has the potential to be very ugly however. Really don't want to see top-two-ranked-teams. That would definitely be terrible for BC.

Agree with what was mentioned above: 3 fixed conference opponents and alternating the other 10. But the other 10 need to be staggered in some way, so its not just playing teams 1-5 in odd years and 6-10 in even years. Fluidity.

Also, you can ensure some SOS parity with the fixed opponents. Which means no team should get to play more than one perpetual cellar dwellar (like Wake and NCST) every year. Gotta break up the terrible football teams in North Carolina. Do that, and that's a satisfying setup.

And, just because we need more conference realignment around here: the setup is really ideal with 16 teams and 9 conference games. 4 roughly even pods for competitive fairness, 3 fixed opponents and 6 rotating opponents. Come on ND and PSU!

I think we've talked about all the different possibilities. Once ND decides to join and we go to 16, the pods work best. Play everyone in your pod (Pod A), play everyone in another pod (Pod B), then seed for the final game based on record (Pod A's 1st place plays Pod C's 1st place, Pod A 2nd vs Pod C 2nd, etc), the winner of the 1st Place games meet up in the ACCCG (i.e. you create a pseudo playoff). However, until that point, you get into similar scheduling by having 3 teams you play every year and then rotate the other 5 games. This actually works quite well since ND is already on the 5 game rotation (just minus the 3 static games). I think you get to the same point by only using 2 static teams (which is something I posted a while ago) as the "rivals" work out quite well with 2 (e.g. UVA - UNC/VT, UNC-NCS/UVA, FSU-Miami/Clem, Clem-FSU/GT...). Ultimately, I think the ACC wants to have more fluid match-ups as it could very quickly become a situation where the Divisions are more conferences.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:22 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
dtwalrus {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:

This.

I think we've talked about all the different possibilities. Once ND decides to join and we go to 16, the pods work best. Play everyone in your pod (Pod A), play everyone in another pod (Pod B), then seed for the final game based on record (Pod A's 1st place plays Pod C's 1st place, Pod A 2nd vs Pod C 2nd, etc), the winner of the 1st Place games meet up in the ACCCG (i.e. you create a pseudo playoff). However, until that point, you get into similar scheduling by having 3 teams you play every year and then rotate the other 5 games. This actually works quite well since ND is already on the 5 game rotation (just minus the 3 static games). I think you get to the same point by only using 2 static teams (which is something I posted a while ago) as the "rivals" work out quite well with 2 (e.g. UVA - UNC/VT, UNC-NCS/UVA, FSU-Miami/Clem, Clem-FSU/GT...). Ultimately, I think the ACC wants to have more fluid match-ups as it could very quickly become a situation where the Divisions are more conferences.

if we went to 16 thats what i think would happen.

12 regular season games...8 in conference. play your division 7 games then just go thru 1 from the other side each year...winner of each 'division' plays each other in the championship game.

i dont envision a scenario where teams are playing more than 15 games under any circumstances (which is what the 2 of the final 4 will do)
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:50 am

Our Pod would suck, they would give us 'cuse and Pitt. Unless we get ND also, its garbage.

We should play UM and UVA annually. I really think UVA could have been a rivalry.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:57 am

I can't believe you guys are putting out the bat signal for 81 and he isn't here, yet.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:00 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I can't believe you guys are putting out the bat signal for 81 and he isn't here, yet.

I though TRE unbanned him?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:12 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Our Pod would suck, they would give us 'cuse and Pitt. Unless we get ND also, its garbage.

We should play UM and UVA annually. I really think UVA could have been a rivalry.

Yeah, my problem with the pods is that if teams got to choose which three teams they'd play every year, they wouldn't always line up in neat little groups.

I'd assume BC would want ND (in an expanded ACC) and Syracuse every year. Mabye Clemson or Miami would be our third choice. But would Clemson want to give up GT every year? Would Miami want to give up FSU every year?

And I don't see how you can set up pods without screwing up the UNC-UVA rivalry. UNC-UVA is the most important rivalry in the history of college football.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:14 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Our Pod would suck, they would give us 'cuse and Pitt. Unless we get ND also, its garbage.

If that was our pod, it would be great as we would be in the semi-final every year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:46 am

ACC North:
- ND
- Penn State
- BC
- Syracuse

ACC Central:
- Pitt
- VT
- UVa
- Louisiville

ACC South and Carolina:
- Clemson
- GT
- Duke
- UNC

ACC Very South and Carolina:
- FSU
- Miami
- NCST
- Wake

9 game conference schedule and all the other teams play each other every other year. So settle down, all you other "minor rivalry" cry babies. And ND is just going to have to be happy with 3 OOC teams. I don't know, maybe USC, Stanford and Navy.

By the way, I keep assuming Penn State as #16, even though it's likely fantasy, because I think it's ideal among the remaining teams in terms of generating revenue and football prestige. In my head adding ND as #15 immediately bumps the ACC television revenue potential up to BIG/SEC levels. Then with money being equal, we pry Penn State away by reminding them that if things go to 16 they're going to get stuck playing in a garbage BIG East pod with Maryland, Rutgers and Indiana every year. Dream scenario...

And then in my fantasy, the BIG realizes that without Penn State the recent eastern additions are a hideously grotesque appendage. They get together and vote Rutgers and Maryland off the island and instead add 5 Big 12 teams (Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma, etc.). The remaining Big12 valuable teams get swallowed up by SEC and Pac 12. 4 sixteen team conferences and teams like Rutgers, Maryland and Iowa State slink off to join UConn in the wasteland of the G5 or whatever and wait for their university presidents to inevitably decide to fold their football programs.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:06 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I can't believe you guys are putting out the bat signal for 81 and he isn't here, yet.

81 hasn't been banned for years...

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:13 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

ACC North:
- ND
- Penn State
- BC
- Syracuse

ACC Central:
- Pitt
- VT
- UVa
- Louisiville

ACC South and Carolina:
- Clemson rcc
- GT weak forest
- Duke
- UNC

- FSU
- Miami
- NCST the clemson
- Wake ga tech

9 game conference schedule and all the other teams play each other every other year. So settle down, all you other "minor rivalry" cry babies. And ND is just going to have to be happy with 3 OOC teams. I don't know, maybe USC, Stanford and Navy.

for any chance of success, the north carolina schools need to be lumped together.

and call it a "minor rivalry" all you want, unc/uva is the south's longest rivalry dating back to 1892 and the good ole boys of the acc will protect that as long as they can. only the gophers/badgers and miami (oh)/natti are longer
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:16 pm

The pods look better for basketball.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:23 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:

ACC North:
- ND
- Penn State
- BC
- Syracuse

ACC Central:
- Pitt
- VT
- UVa
- Louisiville

ACC South and Carolina:
- Clemson rcc
- GT weak forest
- Duke
- UNC

- FSU
- Miami
- NCST the clemson
- Wake ga tech

for any chance of success, the north carolina schools need to be lumped together.

and call it a "minor rivalry" all you want, unc/uva is the south's longest rivalry dating back to 1892 and the good ole boys of the acc will protect that as long as they can. only the gophers/badgers and miami (oh)/natti are longer

There is zero chance that last pod happens. They won't put all the NC schools in the same bracket because they need to place one in each bracket as the sucky team to preserve competitive balance.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

81 hasn't been banned for years...

show us the entire roster of banned accounts!

TYRANT!

COWARD!
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

If that was our pod, it would be great as we would be in the semi-final every year.

Wait .... have we ever beaten Pitt?
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:39 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:youre out of your mind if you'd rather play duke over the next 5 years than vt

my preferred order:

1. UVA
2. VT
3. Pitt
4. Miami
5. Duke
6. GT

UNC off the board w their potential trouble ahead but id slot them between Miami and Duke if I had to.

1. UVA;
2. Miami;
3. Duke;
4. Pitt;
5. GTech
6. VT.

Among other reasons, VTech is logistically the most difficult trip in the ACC for visiting teams.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:45 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

miami's won 5 national championships. a couple bad seasons and all the sudden they suck forever...

if you disagree, feel free to give me a call from your flip-phone (that is likely still fashionable in your time)

Because it's 2000 and Miami are perennial contenders.

They have no fanbase and the SEC took over their model. They're never gonna be the U again, but then again I did say that they were the possible exception. As soon as Beamer's out at VT, they'll be back. Much scarier than Tobacco Road schools destined for eternal mediocrity.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:45 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}: VTech is logistically the most difficult trip in the ACC for visiting teams.

not for the 4 schools in NC and other school in virginia
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:54 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:...As soon as Beamer's out at VT, they'll be back. Much scarier than Tobacco Road schools destined for eternal mediocrity.

why? other than beamer, what's so great about vpi? they were nothing before beamer so why do you assume they will be something after him... especially since they've started significantly sucking with him still there.

and thanks for so incredibly missing the point of me mentioning as me making fun of you for your blind allegiance to what vpi was. like with miami, things change. if they didn't, princeton will still be adding to it's lead as the team awarded the most football national championships in all of college football.

lastly, thanks for pointing out the north carolina football = mediocrity. the fact that i get to read about it daily wouldn't have possibly clued me in to that fact. or, taking your blind assumption that vpi will be teh awesome 4evah... with lawrence taylor on their roster - this unc team is a force that will need to be reckoned with (i could go duke/momentum from their rose bowl appearance if you'd prefer)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:10 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:youre out of your mind if you'd rather play duke over the next 5 years than vt

my preferred order:

1. UVA
2. VT
3. Pitt
4. Miami
5. Duke
6. GT

1. UVA;
2. Miami;
3. Duke;
4. Pitt;
5. GTech
6. VT.

Among other reasons, VTech is logistically the most difficult trip in the ACC for visiting teams.

im talking potential ease of competition not logistics to get there
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium