YUKON TO THE B12

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: YUKON TO THE B12

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:10 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:...As soon as Beamer's out at VT, they'll be back. Much scarier than Tobacco Road schools destined for eternal mediocrity.

why? other than beamer, what's so great about vpi? they were nothing before beamer so why do you assume they will be something after him... especially since they've started significantly sucking with him still there.

and thanks for so incredibly missing the point of me mentioning as me making fun of you for your blind allegiance to what vpi was. like with miami, things change. if they didn't, princeton will still be adding to it's lead as the team awarded the most football national championships in all of college football.

lastly, thanks for pointing out the north carolina football = mediocrity. the fact that i get to read about it daily wouldn't have possibly clued me in to that fact. or, taking your blind assumption that vpi will be teh awesome 4evah... with lawrence taylor on their roster - this unc team is a force that will need to be reckoned with (i could go duke/momentum from their rose bowl appearance if you'd prefer)

Ok, so would expect Florida or Duke (who was better this year) to be better in the long run? I got your point, but some programs have the pieces in place to sustain greater average success. Things change sometimes, but there's no reason to expect one now. VT now has a good tradition, a huge fanbase, good facilities. Maybe they won't be back, but odds are they will. Comparing that to Princeton is insane. But then and again maybe arguing about sports with TRE makes me the insane one
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:15 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:youre out of your mind if you'd rather play duke over the next 5 years than vt

my preferred order:

1. UVA
2. VT
3. Pitt
4. Miami
5. Duke
6. GT

UNC off the board w their potential trouble ahead but id slot them between Miami and Duke if I had to.

1. UVA;
2. Miami;
3. Duke;
4. Pitt;
5. GTech
6. VT.

Among other reasons, VTech is logistically the most difficult trip in the ACC for visiting teams.

im talking potential ease of competition not logistics to get there

I ranked which teams from the other Div I would like to play.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:17 pm

vpi has the facilities, the fan base and beamer now and they have sucked for the last few years. there is no guarantee that they can replace beamer and return to their eschelon of glory. i think you're borderline retarded if you just assume that they will.

but i don't have time for this now, i've got to go study this year's stats to know who to pick in the perennial big 10 powerhouse michigan vs. perennial pac 10 powerhouse usc rose bowl game. with as much as those schools have in facilities and fanbase, it will be tough to chose the winner
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:21 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:vpi has the facilities, the fan base and beamer now and they have sucked for the last few years. there is no guarantee that they can replace beamer and return to their eschelon of glory. i think you're borderline retarded if you just assume that they will.

but i don't have time for this now, i've got to go study this year's stats to know who to pick in the perennial big 10 powerhouse michigan vs. perennial pac 10 powerhouse usc rose bowl game. with as much as those schools have in facilities and fanbase, it will be tough to chose the winner

Having Beamer now is akin to having Bobby Bowden or Joe Pa. Once he retires is that not an attractive job?

USC is actually a top 5 team next year.....
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:24 pm

I'll put it this way....the number of schools that had down years and came back is a lot higher than the number of VT level programs who disappeared into mediocrity. Colorado jumps to mind, but not much else recently. Ivy League and Academies are completely different apples to oranges comparisons.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:26 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:I'll put it this way....the number of schools that had down years and came back is a lot higher than the number of VT level programs who disappeared into mediocrity. Colorado jumps to mind, but not much else recently. Ivy League and Academies are completely different apples to oranges comparisons.

Can I mention Notre Dame and Miami here? Texas?

Returning to Glory since 1993!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:27 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:vpi has the facilities, the fan base and beamer now and they have sucked for the last few years. there is no guarantee that they can replace beamer and return to their eschelon of glory. i think you're borderline retarded if you just assume that they will.

Having Beamer now is akin to having Bobby Bowden or Joe Pa. Once he retires is that not an attractive job?

USC is actually a top 5 team next year.....

oh, i get it. so bud foster is going to step in and return the hokies to glory (as long as beamer hasn't been hiding his wife beating and kiddie rape for decades).

now, if you were me, who would you place a wager on for this year's national championship? the facilities, fan base and tv money of texas or the pagentry, history, and fan base of notre dame? both are teams with success in recent years so they must continue to operate an an elite level... right? i mean, notre dame (2012) and texas (2009) both played for the national championship recently so they must continue to excel on the field
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:I'll put it this way....the number of schools that had down years and came back is a lot higher than the number of VT level programs who disappeared into mediocrity. Colorado jumps to mind, but not much else recently. Ivy League and Academies are completely different apples to oranges comparisons.

Can I mention Notre Dame and Miami here? Texas?

Returning to Glory since 1993!

i mentioned miami on the last page and you beat me to it by a minute on the domers and longhorns.

but, strat must be right because i hate sports and know nothing about them (as proven year after year in the various pick'ems i participate in). he's clearly the leader in the clubhouse on sports knowledge because he knows what a mecca blacksburg virginia is and what a desirable place it is for any world beating coach to come assume the championship reigns left behind by decades of success under frank beamer
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:34 pm

as a general aside, i miss randy rhodes (the BAMA! fan, not the plane crashed guitarist)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:47 pm

You guys are missing the point here. Whether or not they contend for national titles is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether they are tougher than the rest of the coastal, which they will be on average.

I'm assuming in the mid 2000's you would have taken FSU over Wake Forest?
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:56 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:You guys are missing the point here. Whether or not they contend for national titles is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether they are tougher than the rest of the coastal, which they will be on average.

VT post Beamer is more likely to be PSU post Paterno than FSU post Bowden. And make no mistake, PSU will be returning to glory for some time, and its not because of sanctions.

Beemer didn't build the program with oodles of talent like Bowden. FSU wasn't down for very long either.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:00 pm

PSU post Paterno is raping us in recruiting and would still be the most dangerous program in the coastal.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:02 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:PSU post Paterno is raping us in recruiting and would still be the most dangerous program in the coastal.

PSU post Paterno is a steaming pile of dog shit. Until stars appear in the standings, they will continue to be the bottom dwellers of the shittiest big 5 conference.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:09 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:You guys are missing the point here. Whether or not they contend for national titles is irrelevant. The only thing that matters is whether they are tougher than the rest of the coastal, which they will be on average.

you're missing the point here. why do you immediately assume that vpi will always be better than miami, ga tech, duke, or even pitt when that can't even be said in the current year? i'm not going to coronate vpi as the toughest team in the coastal 4evah because they won back to back conference championships 7 years ago. anyone that does so also probably agrees with the decision to put fsu in the atlantic and miami in the coastal so they can play in the championship every year. it's shortsighted and overly presumptuous.

in fact, it kinds smacks of nospacian absolutes.

are you posting from arizona, strat. don't lie because i'll know

EDIT - good news, folks. he's not posting from arizona
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:23 pm

you're missing the point here. why do you immediately assume that vpi will always be better than miami, ga tech, duke, or even pitt when that can't even be said in the current year? i'm not going to coronate vpi as the toughest team in the coastal 4evah because they won back to back conference championships 7 years ago. anyone that does so also probably agrees with the decision to put fsu in the atlantic and miami in the coastal so they can play in the championship every year. it's shortsighted and overly presumptuous.

There's a big difference between expecting this from Miami or FSU and expecting it from VPI. Miami is held back by historic coaching ineptitude alone and FSU wasnt' down long.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

There's a big difference between expecting this from Miami or FSU and expecting it from VPI. Miami is held back by historic coaching ineptitude alone and FSU wasnt' down long.

So much of the success depends on the coach. But ignoring the coach, here is how I'd rank ACC teams in terms of "potential" which is obviously subjective, but based on fan support, facilities, location, and prestige of school:

1. FSU
2. Clemson
3. Miami
4. UNC
5. UVA
6. VTech
7. Louisville
8. NCSU
9. Ga. Tech
10. BC
11. Pitt
12. Cuse
13. Duke
14. Wake Forest
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:52 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

So much of the success depends on the coach. But ignoring the coach, here is how I'd rank ACC teams in terms of "potential" which is obviously subjective, but based on fan support, facilities, location, and prestige of school:

1. FSU
2. Clemson
3. Miami
4. UNC
5. UVA
6. VTech
7. Louisville
8. NCSU
9. Ga. Tech
10. BC
11. Pitt
12. Cuse
13. Duke
14. Wake Forest

I'd bicker with UVA and GT probably needing to be swapped (at least for football) but otherwise, yes.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:53 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

1. FSU
2. Clemson
3. Miami
4. UNC
5. UVA
6. VTech
7. Louisville
8. NCSU
9. Ga. Tech
10. BC
11. Pitt
12. Cuse
13. Duke
14. Wake Forest

As long as VTech steers it's athletes towards majoring in "apparel management" or "general studies," I don't see why UVA goes above VTech on that list.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:55 pm

dook (their facilities suck but they offer the most prestigious diploma of the group) and rcc (they have some fine facilties, a rabid fan base, and a license to accept dummies) should be higher, miami (the one correct statement that strat made is that this isn't the 80s and miami doesn't have the leg up on the local talent that it once did) uva (why the hell should they be in the top half, the london/tobias show?) should be lower
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:57 pm

talon {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

1. FSU
2. Clemson
3. Miami
4. UNC
5. UVA
6. VTech
7. Louisville
8. NCSU
9. Ga. Tech
10. BC
11. Pitt
12. Cuse
13. Duke
14. Wake Forest

As long as VTech steers it's athletes towards majoring in "apparel management" or "general studies," I don't see why UVA goes above VTech on that list.

To me, UVA is a much easier sell than VTech. Tremendous school in a great area. Pretty good fan support as well. They already get very good recruits, and over the last few years have done better than VTech in that department.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:59 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:dook (their facilities suck but they offer the most prestigious diploma of the group) and rcc (they have some fine facilties, a rabid fan base, and a license to accept dummies) should be higher, miami (the one correct statement that strat made is that this isn't the 80s and miami doesn't have the leg up on the local talent that it once did) uva (why the hell should they be in the top half, the london/tobias show?) should be lower

Not surprised you are perpetuating the NCSU myth. I'd have them close to the bottom. UNC is the only NC school in single digits.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:02 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:dook (their facilities suck but they offer the most prestigious diploma of the group) and rcc (they have some fine facilties, a rabid fan base, and a license to accept dummies) should be higher, miami (the one correct statement that strat made is that this isn't the 80s and miami doesn't have the leg up on the local talent that it once did) uva (why the hell should they be in the top half, the london/tobias show?) should be lower

I wasn't weighing the categories equally for various reasons. In terms of Miami, they fail in three of the four categories, but location is huge. Miami kids want to play there and they consistently get top recruits despite having shitty facilities and no stadium.

As for NCSU, I see them and Louisville being about equal in terms of rabid fan base and facilities, but I gave the nod to Louisville since they have less competition for the top talent in their home state. But I can certainly see the argument for NCSU here.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:26 pm

It's absolutely absurd to have UVA, Duke, or UNC above VT as a program for the past or future. VT does literally everything better other than academics, which is often a negative for kids who don't want to play school ( I guess not for UNC). Bottom line is we have the toughest schedule because FSU, Clemson, and Louisville don't have to play themselves, and VT will remain one of if not the best programs in the coastal.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:38 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:It's absolutely absurd to have UVA, Duke, or UNC above VT as a program for the past or future. VT does literally everything better other than academics, which is often a negative for kids who don't want to play school ( I guess not for UNC). Bottom line is we have the toughest schedule because FSU, Clemson, and Louisville don't have to play themselves, and VT will remain one of if not the best programs in the coastal.

admit it, you still rock out to "hey there, delilah" and consider it a current smash hit

by the way, you know what vt didn't do (literally) better over the past three years? win football games. your academic argument is nice but you know what the dummies that don't want academics like more than some lacking academics? winning more football games than they lose

Acc record for 2012 - 2014
ga tach 16-8
dook 14-10
miami 13-11
carolina 13-11
perrenial powerhouse and world beater of the atlantic division vpi 12-12

did they lose fan base or facilities in those three years that they plan to gain back in the future as their rise to the bestest and most fearedest team evah?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:42 pm

That's a retardo argument because as noted before, Beamer is a senile old man who should not be a football coach. Predicting long term success off of 3 years and ignoring the rest of history is stupid. BC football has sucked recently, should I stop being a fan?
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:44 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:That's a retardo argument because as noted before, Beamer is a senile old man who should not be a football coach. Predicting long term success off of 3 years and ignoring the rest of history is stupid. BC football has sucked recently, should I stop being a fan?

i don't think you want to trot out that vpi is the bestest team ever if you're using a long term history to support your claim. especially if it is in the same post that you're saying beamer is worthless. i'd be glad to let you know what vpi's history was without beamer but i'm fairly certain you already know that, innocentstratstander
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:47 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:That's a retardo argument because as noted before, Beamer is a senile old man who should not be a football coach. Predicting long term success off of 3 years and ignoring the rest of history is stupid. BC football has sucked recently, should I stop being a fan?

VT was irrelevant before that senile old man got there. Never did a damn thing. VT appeared on the college football map with Jim Drunkenmiller.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:48 pm

Beamers been there for what like 20-25 years? I think that's a big enough sample size. How was FSU before Bowden?

No matter how many jokes you make your argument still sucks
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:54 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Beamers been there for what like 20-25 years? I think that's a big enough sample size. How was FSU before Bowden?

as sucky as my arguement is, it sucks a lot less than your argument that is basically "vpi was good for a while so therefore they will always be good (even though the current streak reflects that they are not very good and their crop of recruits give no one any reason to think there will be a reversal of fortunes anytime soon).

YAY, UNSUPPORTABLE OPINIONS!!!
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:55 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Beamers been there for what like 20-25 years? I think that's a big enough sample size. How was FSU before Bowden?

Jim Drunkenmiller wasn't actually a joke. Neither is Burt Reynolds and Lee Corso.

Point is, it is a big enough sample size. A big enough sample size to know only that Beamer is a really good coach for since 1987 (27 years) whereas the innumerable guys that coached the team for the close to 100 years before that - not such good success.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium