Transfers

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Transfers

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:00 am

Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report · 9h 9 hours ago
Re: on the Braxton Miller transfer rumor, I'm hearing it's between Oregon and LSU. Possibility of Oregon if Mariota goes #1.

Rich Rod doesn't want to cause a Solomon transfer, but could capitalize off of Fiesta Bowl with a one-year Braxton Miller insertion at QB.

Duke QB is graduating, so it seems hard to dismiss Duke in the Braxton Miller sweepstakes as well.

seems like he's just throwing schools out there so take fwiw :shrug
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Dec 29, 2014 8:56 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Jordan Schultz @Schultz_Report · 9h 9 hours ago
Re: on the Braxton Miller transfer rumor, I'm hearing it's between Oregon and LSU. Possibility of Oregon if Mariota goes #1.

Rich Rod doesn't want to cause a Solomon transfer, but could capitalize off of Fiesta Bowl with a one-year Braxton Miller insertion at QB.

Duke QB is graduating, so it seems hard to dismiss Duke in the Braxton Miller sweepstakes as well.

Driskel is going to transfer too. He can't go to an SEC school. I am sure what Murphy did opened his eyes to BC as a possibility.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:25 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

Driskel is going to transfer too. He can't go to an SEC school. I am sure what Murphy did opened his eyes to BC as a possibility.

I didn't watch him at all, but isn't he more of a pocket guy? How do u think he would fit?

He is Alex Dragevich bad. If you're not going with Miller just play Wade.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:27 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

I didn't watch him at all, but isn't he more of a pocket guy? How do u think he would fit?

If we go hard after a player like Driskel (someone who we'd have to drastically re-engineer our offense for)... then there are alarms going off on Wade. If Driskel transfers (I say if because he seems well suited for McElwain), than I'd expect Duke to be a likely destination. He fits that system perfectly (and Cutcliffe has made a living coaching drop-back, immobile passers).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:39 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:

If we go hard after a player like Driskel (someone who we'd have to drastically re-engineer our offense for)... then there are alarms going off on Wade. If Driskel transfers (I say if because he seems well suited for McElwain), than I'd expect Duke to be a likely destination. He fits that system perfectly (and Cutcliffe has made a living coaching drop-back, immobile passers).

I agree with this completely, which is weird.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:44 am

I think at some point, we have to see the staff prove they can develop a QB. That's really going to matter in terms of bringing in people to play the position here. So if Wade's our guy, let's go ahead and take the lumps of developing a young starter on the job next year. He'll have been with the team for a year and a half, so learning the system, adjusting to the college schedule etc. shouldn't be a concern.

If we are bringing in transfers, I'd like to see us look at OL and secondary - two places we need depth/experience. Though I'm not too worried about the whole "the entire OL is graduating" narrative as the rest of the country probably thinks we should be. The staff built a solid and productive OL two years in a row out of guys that couldn't move Army's undersized DL out of the way, so I trust they know what they are doing.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:10 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I think at some point, we have to see the staff prove they can develop a QB. That's really going to matter in terms of bringing in people to play the position here. So if Wade's our guy, let's go ahead and take the lumps of developing a young starter on the job next year. He'll have been with the team for a year and a half, so learning the system, adjusting to the college schedule etc. shouldn't be a concern.

If we are bringing in transfers, I'd like to see us look at OL and secondary - two places we need depth/experience. Though I'm not too worried about the whole "the entire OL is graduating" narrative as the rest of the country probably thinks we should be. The staff built a solid and productive OL two years in a row out of guys that couldn't move Army's undersized DL out of the way, so I trust they know what they are doing.

While I agree that the staff has to show they can develop a QB, we are operating without a net if we put all our eggs in the Wade basket. Injuries, grades, homesick, lack of ability... any of these can strike an unproven player. If any of those hit Wade, then you are forfeiting next season if you don't bring in some sort of transfer.

As for transfers... yes as to DBs (though it is unlikely that you will find many worth playing). With regard to OLine transfers, that seems to be coming from the coaches. I hear that they we have excellent talent there (NFL-level) but that they are too young and undeveloped. I suspect that they feel comfortable that they have 4 quality starters but are struggling to find a 5th and depth.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:11 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I think at some point, we have to see the staff prove they can develop a QB. That's really going to matter in terms of bringing in people to play the position here. So if Wade's our guy, let's go ahead and take the lumps of developing a young starter on the job next year. He'll have been with the team for a year and a half, so learning the system, adjusting to the college schedule etc. shouldn't be a concern.

Does anyone who is dialed in with the program know what the staff actually thinks of Wade?

There was a Globe/Herald article recently which spoke glowingly about his preparation and mental game. I also can't imagine learning from a guy like Murphy hurt.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:16 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Does anyone who is dialed in with the program know what the staff actually thinks of Wade?

There was a Globe/Herald article recently which spoke glowingly about his preparation and mental game. I also can't imagine learning from a guy like Murphy hurt.

I have no idea what the staff thinks, but he looked very talented and very confused at the Spring Game. I'd have to imagine that he is in an entirely different place now.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:31 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

While I agree that the staff has to show they can develop a QB, we are operating without a net if we put all our eggs in the Wade basket. Injuries, grades, homesick, lack of ability... any of these can strike an unproven player. If any of those hit Wade, then you are forfeiting next season if you don't bring in some sort of transfer.

That makes sense, but then the other side of the coin is finding a guy who would be willing to accept the possibility of spending a 5th year at a new place sitting on the bench. I don't think we gave Murphy a promise of starting, but I'm sure that seeing our roster contained only true freshman and a guy that was switching positions helped alot. Also, didn't Daz have a relationship with the family beyond recruiting him to UF?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:18 am

someone very close to the program told me that the staff really loves two young players: Wade and Johnson.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:24 am

Developing a QB is overrated. Addazio is 55 and the average tenure at BC is what five or six years. Just win. In fact developing a niche as a place where fifth years can go is not a bad thing. If Wade is upset, then beat out the new guy.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Developing a QB is overrated. Addazio is 55 and the average tenure at BC is what five or six years. Just win. In fact developing a niche as a place where fifth years can go is not a bad thing. If Wade is upset, then beat out the new guy.

Is it developing a QB or developing any position? I only because I think you would say our reputation as O Line U helps bring in good OL recruits/coaches and that helps the team. I'd argue that we've earned a reputation similar to that around LBs in recent years, too. Wouldn't it also be nice to be a place where a QB can develop and succeed?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:28 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Developing a QB is overrated. Addazio is 55 and the average tenure at BC is what five or six years. Just win. In fact developing a niche as a place where fifth years can go is not a bad thing. If Wade is upset, then beat out the new guy.

Developing a QB is overrated, just win games?

Building an army is overrated too, just win the war.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:52 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You understand my point.

If they think Wade can play, then play him. Sticking with him over a one year guy who is better is TOB thinking (see Wilson vs Glennon). If you find a young guy who can play, the older ones leave anyway. Just look at the QBs that left FSU when Winston won the job.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:07 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

You understand my point.

If they think Wade can play, then play him. Sticking with him over a one year guy who is better is TOB thinking (see Wilson vs Glennon). If you find a young guy who can play, the older ones leave anyway. Just look at the QBs that left FSU when Winston won the job.

If they had Wilson and Glennon I might agree with you. They have a bunch of dudes that need to be developed. They are going to need to to develop at least one of them to just win.

55 isn't very old for a head football coach. I get that Fisher (49) and Swinney (45) and Dave Doeren (43) are relatively young guys, but it is not like Daz needs to win before he dies next week.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:13 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

That makes sense, but then the other side of the coin is finding a guy who would be willing to accept the possibility of spending a 5th year at a new place sitting on the bench. I don't think we gave Murphy a promise of starting, but I'm sure that seeing our roster contained only true freshman and a guy that was switching positions helped alot. Also, didn't Daz have a relationship with the family beyond recruiting him to UF?

You are right that we will never get a transfer if he is told that he's coming in to back-up. Well... never is too strong. You might find a kid looking for an education and is already a back-up elsewhere. However, the situation that BC is offering is the ability to come in and compete against a true soph who has never played and 2 kids out of high school. Not as attractive as the situation that Murphy walked into, but is probably less competition than you'd see at any Big 5 program.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:43 pm

Would be curious if we are in the mix for Savon Higgins? I am of the school that even if it isn't a position of need you take a freak show athlete if available. From what I understand, his issues at Rutgers were with his durability--that he did display NFL-quality with respect to physical talent when healthy. Also heard he was a great kid who took care of business on the academic side. Only negative is that he went to Saint Pete's a school notorious for producing sexual deviants and Bill Guerin impersonators.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby durkcal on Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:51 pm

I agree with this, with a few caveats.

If you project to the game plan next year, it will be about Hilliman and Outlow. If it is also about Wade, it will be about his running. Daz will want the best, deepest OL possible. So I expect up to 3 transfers on the OL.

I agree on the secondary. I thought Ty Meer Brown helped a lot in the latter part of the season. And UConn has a S we could use (and all UConn players should want to transfer to BC)

QB - I think using a transfer on a backup QB makes sense. Wade himself is inexperienced. If he gets hurt, our season is screwed. Why not bring in some backup (Driskel or others) that is not expected to start at their other school, but has experience? I think it stands a greater chance from a smaller program than UF.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:31 am

durkcal {l Wrote}:

If you project to the game plan next year, it will be about Hilliman and Outlow. If it is also about Wade, it will be about his running. Daz will want the best, deepest OL possible. So I expect up to 3 transfers on the OL.

I agree on the secondary. I thought Ty Meer Brown helped a lot in the latter part of the season. And UConn has a S we could use (and all UConn players should want to transfer to BC)

QB - I think using a transfer on a backup QB makes sense. Wade himself is inexperienced. If he gets hurt, our season is screwed. Why not bring in some backup (Driskel or others) that is not expected to start at their other school, but has experience? I think it stands a greater chance from a smaller program than UF.

Driskel just doesnt fit with what Addazio is trying to do. I honestly dont see it happening (even with the Florida connections). Its a shame they didnt redshirt Wade this year. I understand Murphy had health issues in the past and was a major question mark, but for Wade to waste a redshirt so he could take ~10 snaps in 2 meaningless games is silly. If Murphy went down, the season was a wrap. Just play Flutie or Bordner.

The QB situation will hopefully begin to solidify itself next year. With Smith and Robinson coming in, hopefully one can redshirt and start to provide space at the position (they also bring a skill set that is transferable to other positions should it come to that), and one can play behind Wade. The positive aspect of this type of offense, is Wade wont be relied upon to make a ton of throws, hopefully making the transition to starter a smooth one. Personally, I would rather bite the bullet and start Wade next season. Hes been in the system for a year and a half and doesnt have much less in game experience than Murphy had before this season.

The positions where transfers make sense are on the OL (Tripp Thurman from Florida makes a ton of sense as he had BC a finalist, is local/from Delaware, and is rumored to leave Florida) and the secondary where BC just needs athletic bodies to combat pass heavy offenses like the one that burned then Saturday. The kid from Connecticut who left the program, Jefferson Ashiru, actually had reported offers from a few D1 schools including Duke, Mississippi, Mississippi State (something that is rare for most of the players on the Connecticut roster) but is a LB and a position where there may not be much room. Hes also from Georgia, so could expect him to end up somewhere closer to home.

As was mentioned earlier (possibly in another thread) Savon Huggins just announced he would transfer from Rutgers. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about someone like that coming to BC, but there is a major SPP presence at BC right now and a year in this run heavy offense can drastically improve his draft status. The problem obviously becomes, what do you do with a major logjam of talent at the position. Would have to think Willis is gone if Huggins comes in. Do you redshirt Outlow ? What happens with Richard Wilson ? With a deliberate, control the clock type offense, there just arent enough snaps.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:21 am

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:

Driskel just doesnt fit with what Addazio is trying to do. I honestly dont see it happening (even with the Florida connections). Its a shame they didnt redshirt Wade this year. I understand Murphy had health issues in the past and was a major question mark, but for Wade to waste a redshirt so he could take ~10 snaps in 2 meaningless games is silly. If Murphy went down, the season was a wrap. Just play Flutie or Bordner.

The QB situation will hopefully begin to solidify itself next year. With Smith and Robinson coming in, hopefully one can redshirt and start to provide space at the position (they also bring a skill set that is transferable to other positions should it come to that), and one can play behind Wade. The positive aspect of this type of offense, is Wade wont be relied upon to make a ton of throws, hopefully making the transition to starter a smooth one. Personally, I would rather bite the bullet and start Wade next season. Hes been in the system for a year and a half and doesnt have much less in game experience than Murphy had before this season.

The positions where transfers make sense are on the OL (Tripp Thurman from Florida makes a ton of sense as he had BC a finalist, is local/from Delaware, and is rumored to leave Florida) and the secondary where BC just needs athletic bodies to combat pass heavy offenses like the one that burned then Saturday. The kid from Connecticut who left the program, Jefferson Ashiru, actually had reported offers from a few D1 schools including Duke, Mississippi, Mississippi State (something that is rare for most of the players on the Connecticut roster) but is a LB and a position where there may not be much room. Hes also from Georgia, so could expect him to end up somewhere closer to home.

As was mentioned earlier (possibly in another thread) Savon Huggins just announced he would transfer from Rutgers. Normally, I wouldn't think twice about someone like that coming to BC, but there is a major SPP presence at BC right now and a year in this run heavy offense can drastically improve his draft status. The problem obviously becomes, what do you do with a major logjam of talent at the position. Would have to think Willis is gone if Huggins comes in. Do you redshirt Outlow ? What happens with Richard Wilson ? With a deliberate, control the clock type offense, there just arent enough snaps.

Could Huggins play TE/WR?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:05 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:someone very close to the program told me that the staff really loves two young players: Wade and Johnson.

They LOVE Wade.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagletx on Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:45 am

I find this thread very confusing....we take a flyer on a transfer QB in a dire position situation, and it works out, and so now it becomes some "go to" standard??? Ridiculous. If Wade is not a reliable option, and/or you're not willing to take your lumps as he gains experience, then it raises questions in my mind about this coaches reputed recruiting acumen.

As to the suggestion that Driskel is some sort of a viable choice for BC because of Murphy's experience....absurd! Seems a complete contradiction to what this staff wants to do offensively.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:57 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:someone very close to the program told me that the staff really loves two young players: Wade and Johnson.

They LOVE Wade.

They love him so much they wasted a year of his eligibility so he could get 25 snaps against UMass, Maine & Louisville!

Kidding of course but it does suck that as a result of roster construction they didn't have someone who could take those meaningless snaps.

The Spaz years were worse than the Ped St sanctions
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:03 am

John Johnson?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:54 am

If they think everything is 100% a go with Wade next year, I would still like to see them bring in a grad student who could serve as half-coach/half-emergence-back-up-QB. If Wade gets injured or hasn't developed or runs into some unexpected grade problems, you need someone on the roster who can play the position. Right now those kids are in HS (note: Robinson is enrolling in a week).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby JConman on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:02 am

HJS {l Wrote}:If they think everything is 100% a go with Wade next year, I would still like to see them bring in a grad student who could serve as half-coach/half-emergence-back-up-QB. If Wade gets injured or hasn't developed or runs into some unexpected grade problems, you need someone on the roster who can play the position. Right now those kids are in HS (note: Robinson is enrolling in a week).

I take it you believe Flutie is not an option at qb?
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:12 am

JConman {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:If they think everything is 100% a go with Wade next year, I would still like to see them bring in a grad student who could serve as half-coach/half-emergence-back-up-QB. If Wade gets injured or hasn't developed or runs into some unexpected grade problems, you need someone on the roster who can play the position. Right now those kids are in HS (note: Robinson is enrolling in a week).

This shit is still funny.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:31 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

John Johnson?

He's the only legitimate CB we have. He is very good in one on one coverage.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Dec 30, 2014 10:32 am

JConman {l Wrote}:

If Flutie can really run a 4.5 and can catch, he shouldn't be playing QB...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium