Coaching Carousel 2014/15 Edition

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel 2014/15 Edition

Postby eaglesfan06 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:28 pm

Weirdest part about the hires today is that Florida fans are ecstatic about it.

I read someone call their AD Foley the best AD in the nation because of it.

Still doesn't top Nebraska hiring Mike Riley though
eaglesfan06
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:37 am

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:Weirdest part about the hires today is that Florida fans are ecstatic about it.

They are excited because the hire has shades of the Urban Meyer hire ten years ago.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:37 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:If OSU hires Matt Wells, they'll have made a better hire than Nebraska.

I'll bet that CSU will find a better coach.

Maybe not. CSU's President is doing the search by himself. Neuheisel? Nutt? Zook? Even Charlie Weis is possible.

Lincoln Riley is supposedly a candidate for UK OC. If I were a mid-major AD I'd be considering him for head coach.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:40 am

eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:Weirdest part about the hires today is that Florida fans are ecstatic about it.

I read someone call their AD Foley the best AD in the nation because of it.

Still doesn't top Nebraska hiring Mike Riley though

Florida fans valuations should be taken with a grain of salt. You have to look no further than their analysis of Dazoo. While there were some exceptions, by and large, the fans their weren't terribly accurate in their projections as to how he would do as our coach.

A name I thought about that hasn't been mentioned (but probably should be) for the Michigan job... Kevin Sumlin. He is a graduate of Purdue and spent time as an assistant with Minnie and Purdue (I know he his originally from Bama and spent the latter part of his career in B12 country (TAMU, Okla, Houston)). He would be a very strong hire for Mich.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:43 am

tallsy {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:If OSU hires Matt Wells, they'll have made a better hire than Nebraska.

I'll bet that CSU will find a better coach.

Maybe not. CSU's President is doing the search by himself. Neuheisel? Nutt? Zook? Even Charlie Weis is possible.

Lincoln Riley is supposedly a candidate for UK OC. If I were a mid-major AD I'd be considering him for head coach.

I saw something where both Hoke and Pellini were mentioned for the CSU gig. Both would be much improved over the list you just posted.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 05, 2014 9:55 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:A name I thought about that hasn't been mentioned (but probably should be) for the Michigan job... Kevin Sumlin. He is a graduate of Purdue and spent time as an assistant with Minnie and Purdue (I know he his originally from Bama and spent the latter part of his career in B12 country (TAMU, Okla, Houston)). He would be a very strong hire for Mich.

That would be a slam dunk for UM, but I think Sumlin would regret leaving A & M for that job.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:04 am

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:A name I thought about that hasn't been mentioned (but probably should be) for the Michigan job... Kevin Sumlin. He is a graduate of Purdue and spent time as an assistant with Minnie and Purdue (I know he his originally from Bama and spent the latter part of his career in B12 country (TAMU, Okla, Houston)). He would be a very strong hire for Mich.

That would be a slam dunk for UM, but I think Sumlin would regret leaving A & M for that job.

I think it is too hard for TAMU to be an elite SEC program on a regular basis. Not only do they have a difficult conference road (as they face LSU and Bama in the West), they also have to compete against the B12 schools (Okla and a soon-to-be-resurging Longhorns, in particular) for talent. The road is much, much, MUCH easier in the B10. And, after being second-fiddle in his own state, I think he would enjoy being at the marquee program.

It will be interesting to see who they wind up with, but the names that have been linked to the program (outside of the ridiculous (Miles, Gruden, Harbaugh) are very solid. Which makes the moves by Florida and Braska all the more perplexing.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:15 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:A name I thought about that hasn't been mentioned (but probably should be) for the Michigan job... Kevin Sumlin. He is a graduate of Purdue and spent time as an assistant with Minnie and Purdue (I know he his originally from Bama and spent the latter part of his career in B12 country (TAMU, Okla, Houston)). He would be a very strong hire for Mich.

I think it is too hard for TAMU to be an elite SEC program on a regular basis. Not only do they have a difficult conference road (as they face LSU and Bama in the West), they also have to compete against the B12 schools (Okla and a soon-to-be-resurging Longhorns, in particular) for talent. The road is much, much, MUCH easier in the B10. And, after being second-fiddle in his own state, I think he would enjoy being at the marquee program.

It will be interesting to see who they wind up with, but the names that have been linked to the program (outside of the ridiculous (Miles, Gruden, Harbaugh) are very solid. Which makes the moves by Florida and Braska all the more perplexing.

Sumlin had a rough 59-0 loss to BAMA. I can't imagine how this board would have responded if that happened to an Addazio-coached team. They were also less than impressive against Ole Miss and MSU. Not sure I would want him.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:44 am

I don't get the hate for the McElwain hire on here other than that like Muschamp he's a Saban disciple.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:01 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:The Schiano love comes from his agent and HJS.

Just my opinion but I believe Bill Belichick's heavy endorsement of Schiano provides a massive lift to his reputation. It's no secret they are butt buddies and have a deep connection (through his son going to Rutgers and being a LS on the football team under Schiano) and Bill B will pick up the phone and call anyone to endorse Schiano for a job as he did for the TB job and the Browns job.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:10 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:I don't get the hate for the McElwain hire on here other than that like Muschamp he's a Saban disciple.

I don't hate the hire but I'm surprised they didn't target someone with more HC experience after Muschamp didn't pan out.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:18 am

i dont hate the hire i just thought they could get a bigger name....florida is a top 5 job in the country imo.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:21 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i dont hate the hire i just thought they could get a bigger name....florida is a top 5 job in the country imo.

Agreed. Urban Meyer won a BCS bowl and went undefeated before going to Florida. He also had success as a head coach at Bowling Green. He was very close to a sure thing. McElwain, not so much. He may end up doing a great job at Florida, but there are just more uncertainties.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:24 am

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:The Schiano love comes from his agent and HJS.

Just my opinion but I believe Bill Belichick's heavy endorsement of Schiano provides a massive lift to his reputation. It's no secret they are butt buddies and have a deep connection (through his son going to Rutgers and being a LS on the football team under Schiano) and Bill B will pick up the phone and call anyone to endorse Schiano for a job as he did for the TB job and the Browns job.

One of these days people will realize Belichick's coaching tree is garbage for HC
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:34 am

schianos success at rutgers was built off of mediocre teams vs atrocious schedules.

not that i blame him for doing it, but thats what it was.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:40 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Sumlin had a rough 59-0 loss to BAMA. I can't imagine how this board would have responded if that happened to an Addazio-coached team. They were also less than impressive against Ole Miss and MSU. Not sure I would want him.

I cannot even imagine what the Gameday thread for a 59-0 BC loss would look like.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:42 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:i dont hate the hire i just thought they could get a bigger name....florida is a top 5 job in the country imo.

Agreed. Urban Meyer won a BCS bowl and went undefeated before going to Florida. He also had success as a head coach at Bowling Green. He was very close to a sure thing. McElwain, not so much. He may end up doing a great job at Florida, but there are just more uncertainties.

McElwain is a great hire. He's not a name but he can flat out coach from what I've read and seen.
I will be very surprised if he fails down there in Gainesville.
UF is going to get top talent; all they need is someone to coach that talent which is what McElwain is supposedly known for.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:43 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I cannot even imagine what the Gameday thread for a 59-0 BC loss would look like.

just go back a few years ago to the bc fsu thread...51-7 on the heels of a loss to army. i may do it myself, im sure itll make for some fun friday afternoon reading
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:57 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

just go back a few years ago to the bc fsu thread...51-7 on the heels of a loss to army. i may do it myself, im sure itll make for some fun friday afternoon reading

That was the first and only BC game I can remember making absolutely no effort to watch. With Coach Fuckface at the helm, the outcome was obvious. the game was on in a bar and I think I glanced at the score once or twice but I did not watch it. What a horrible experience (post-jags, pre-Daz).

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Dec 05, 2014 12:13 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

McElwain is a great hire. He's not a name but he can flat out coach from what I've read and seen.
I will be very surprised if he fails down there in Gainesville.
UF is going to get top talent; all they need is someone to coach that talent which is what McElwain is supposedly known for.

i now pronounce you man and wife... AND YOU'RE THE WIFE!!!
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:52 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:

This is where I come in as well. McElwain would've been a very good hire for BC. It's just that I would think Florida could have its choice of ANYONE... including Jimbo Fisher.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Eagle Eggs on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:26 pm

I just can't understand why Jiggsie hasn't been offered every one of these jobs.
Eagle Eggs
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:38 pm

Eagle Eggs {l Wrote}:I just can't understand why Jiggsie hasn't been offered every one of these jobs.

northendeagle {l Wrote}:The donkey had character issues.
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:39 pm

ugh
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Dec 05, 2014 2:56 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:ugh

hansensposting this
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:21 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:ugh

hansensposting this

i wonder if murt will also murter this roonie alias
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:54 pm

Hockeyruption just caught up with the Addazio to Michigan nonsense. Isn't there a hockey game tonight? How are they posting?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:39 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Hockeyruption just caught up with the Addazio to Michigan nonsense. Isn't there a hockey game tonight? How are they posting?

His name has been brought up for that job on a few sites. However, when mentioned, it seemed like he was squarely behind Miles, Harbaugh, Beilema, Schiano and Mullen (which seems to be the blogger consensus Top 5). I can not imagine Michigan going that route (as one of those 5 would certainly take the job). Nonetheless, congrats to Dazoo for being the blogger consensus #6. Ultimately, it is a compliment.

For the record, if Daz left, I would thank him and view his tenure similar to that of Jags'. However, I would think we could readily find a solid replacement (especially since one is sitting in Tampa Bay waiting for the phone to ring).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:04 pm

In a weird world where Addazio leaves, I would push Greg Roman (my preferred hire when we hired Daz). As for Michigan, it seems like Kyle Whittingham is getting some buzz and I've seen a couple things on Jim Mora too.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:04 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Hockeyruption just caught up with the Addazio to Michigan nonsense. Isn't there a hockey game tonight? How are they posting?

His name has been brought up for that job on a few sites. However, when mentioned, it seemed like he was squarely behind Miles, Harbaugh, Beilema, Schiano and Mullen (which seems to be the blogger consensus Top 5). I can not imagine Michigan going that route (as one of those 5 would certainly take the job). Nonetheless, congrats to Dazoo for being the blogger consensus #6. Ultimately, it is a compliment.

For the record, if Daz left, I would thank him and view his tenure similar to that of Jags'. However, I would think we could readily find a solid replacement (especially since one is sitting in Tampa Bay waiting for the phone to ring).

Agreed, being the throw in random name with no real sourcing for the rumor is a tacit acknowledgement that the dude is doing a good job.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium