Coaching Carousel 2014/15 Edition

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Coaching Carousel 2014/15 Edition

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:22 am

Chad Morris to SMU

Will be interesting to see how Dabo adapts
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Coaching Carousel 2014/15 Edition

Postby talon on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:03 am

Bo Pelini fired
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:06 am

Is this official re: Morris?
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr- ... 40356.html

He was getting paid a boatload as an OC and had seemingly better opportunities to be a head coach. But, he's from Texas and I can understand the lure of reviving that program. Very strong hire by SMU.

On an aside, I think SMU and Houston will ultimately be strong candidates next time conference re-shuffle.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Iggle on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:07 am

Bo Pelini's firing is somewhat surprising. I wonder where he'll land? Doesn't seem like he'd fall back to a coordinator position, plenty of teams would be happy with 9 wins a year.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:10 am

talon {l Wrote}:Bo Pelini fired

Braska has surprisingly struggled since moving to the B10. Really no rationale I can think of as their schedule somehow got even lighter than it was in the old B12 West. I'm not familiar with those old Nebraska teams but I wonder if they had a bunch of players from B12 territory like TX where they simply no longer have available post-move.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:12 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

Braska has surprisingly struggled since moving to the B10. Really no rationale I can think of as their schedule somehow got even lighter than it was in the old B12 West. I'm not familiar with those old Nebraska teams but I wonder if they had a bunch of players from B12 territory like TX where they simply no longer have available post-move.

They used to get a lot from Jersey and Fla which should be more available post switch
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:18 am

Iggle {l Wrote}:Bo Pelini's firing is somewhat surprising. I wonder where he'll land? Doesn't seem like he'd fall back to a coordinator position, plenty of teams would be happy with 9 wins a year.

I don't think it's particularly surprising as they don't think the last dozen years happened. Never should have fired Solich. As for Bo, I think he will go back to DC ala Kiffin. Coordinators at major programs are making millions. He'll quickly rehab his image and get a Big 5 job in a couple of years. For instance, FSU is going to be in the market for a DC and will likely love to have either him and Muschamp.
Last edited by HJS on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:21 am

HJS {l Wrote}:

He's been at Nebraska for 3 B12 years and this is his fourth B10 year (has it been that long?)
He's never won more than 10 games and he's never lost more than 9.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:25 am

talon {l Wrote}:He's never won more than 10 games and he's never lost more than 9.

He never won less than 9 games.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby talon on Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:39 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
talon {l Wrote}:He's never won more than 10 games and he's never lost more than 9.

He never won less than 9 games.

that's what I meant.

although my statement is still accurate. :)
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Sun Nov 30, 2014 12:06 pm

Pelini is still under contract until 2019.

Per Pelini's last contract, NU is on the hook to pay him $7.65 million, owing him $150,000 monthly for the next 51 months, though that total would lessen if he takes another job. All assistants coaches, and football strength coach James Dobson, were on contract until January 2016. They would be owed a total of just over $3.1 million combined. Including Dobson's salary, NU will owe its coaches more than $11 million total.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/f ... 1ad6a.html
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Sun Nov 30, 2014 2:50 pm

talon
Cushing Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:23 pm

UAB is shutting down the entire program. Anyone we want on that roster?
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:24 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:UAB is shutting down the entire program. Anyone we want on that roster?

Looking over their recruiting classes from the past few years, a few possibilities (I looked at guys from states BC recruits, in UAB's case that basically means Georgia and Florida, who have/had other BCS offers):

Kirk Livingstone - 2015 2* DE - Ft. Lauderdale - Indiana, Louisville, Minnesota, Syracuse, Utah, Vandy
Devin Phelps - 2015 0* WR - Baltimore - Maryland and Wake
Justin Brown - 2014 2* OT - Hampton, GA - Auburn, Kentucky, Miss St, Purdue
Collin Lisa - 2014 2* WR - Alpharetta, GA - No BCS offers but listed interest from BC and is a white WR
Nyakki Height - 2012 2* WR - Marietta, GA - Maryland, Purdue

In the case of Livingstone and Phelps it'd simply be a question of reaching out to them, if those other offers are legit in Livingstone's case it definitely may be worth doing so (and with a Vandy offer I assume he'd be able to qualify academically). As for the other 3 who are already on UAB's roster they'd need to go through the transfer process which I believe they could do without sitting out a year since their school is dropping the sport. I have no idea how well they've actually done at UAB, how much eligibility they have, if they could get into BC, etc. In any event it could be worth kicking the tires on Livingstone, Brown, and maybe Height.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:00 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:UAB is shutting down the entire program. Anyone we want on that roster?

this is going to happen more and more.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:15 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Sad, it seems like a grudge between trustees that dont support sports and others. (sounds familiar)
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:17 pm

Is there someone on UAB that can kick?

Also Nebraska has a few from FL and GA we should look into.

This staff seems pretty good at poaching
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:19 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:

Looking over their recruiting classes from the past few years, a few possibilities (I looked at guys from states BC recruits, in UAB's case that basically means Georgia and Florida, who have/had other BCS offers):

Kirk Livingstone - 2015 2* DE - Ft. Lauderdale - Indiana, Louisville, Minnesota, Syracuse, Utah, Vandy
Devin Phelps - 2015 0* WR - Baltimore - Maryland and Wake
Justin Brown - 2014 2* OT - Hampton, GA - Auburn, Kentucky, Miss St, Purdue
Collin Lisa - 2014 2* WR - Alpharetta, GA - No BCS offers but listed interest from BC and is a white WR
Nyakki Height - 2012 2* WR - Marietta, GA - Maryland, Purdue

In the case of Livingstone and Phelps it'd simply be a question of reaching out to them, if those other offers are legit in Livingstone's case it definitely may be worth doing so (and with a Vandy offer I assume he'd be able to qualify academically). As for the other 3 who are already on UAB's roster they'd need to go through the transfer process which I believe they could do without sitting out a year since their school is dropping the sport. I have no idea how well they've actually done at UAB, how much eligibility they have, if they could get into BC, etc. In any event it could be worth kicking the tires on Livingstone, Brown, and maybe Height.

Phelps ran a 4.44 40 and is not white. In other words please sign him up immediately.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:37 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

Sad, it seems like a grudge between trustees that dont support sports and others. (sounds familiar)

UAB was Miss State's signature OOC win this year.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:17 pm

Hoke officially gets the can.
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:19 pm

Bill Blankenship out at Tulsa. I assume Houck at UNLV is next.

Kevin Wilson is staying at Indiana.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:

UAB was Miss State's signature OOC win this year.

Just saw that Tennessee had UAB scheduled for next year. Do we still need a game to fill an open date? If so, this wouldn't be a terrible match up.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:53 pm

tallsy {l Wrote}:Bill Blankenship out at Tulsa. I assume Houck at UNLV is next.

Kevin Wilson is staying at Indiana.

Houck is out. He resigned.
It's been all over the news out here since last week.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby mod6A on Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:43 pm

lots of the gatech people i talk to are conflicted about PJ. how can they get rid of him now? and do they want to? i think they have a TOB-like feeling. :toby ( yes, i know PJ gets to the ACCCG and even wins it).

personally, i think he could go to nebraska, run that offense and destroy most teams. i think he is a ga native though?

:whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:02 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:lots of the gatech people i talk to are conflicted about PJ. how can they get rid of him now? and do they want to? i think they have a TOB-like feeling. :toby ( yes, i know PJ gets to the ACCCG and even wins it).

personally, i think he could go to nebraska, run that offense and destroy most teams. i think he is a ga native though?

I think he started at GA Southern, not sure if he is a native. He's a billion times better than TOB, they just don't like his offense, like HJS and Don Brown.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby talon on Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:29 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:lots of the gatech people i talk to are conflicted about PJ. how can they get rid of him now? and do they want to? i think they have a TOB-like feeling. :toby ( yes, i know PJ gets to the ACCCG and even wins it).

Paul Johnson may get to the ACCCG, but he never won one.
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:04 pm

his offensive scheme would be viewed as chip kelly 2.0 in that conference.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:48 pm

I wouldn't hire PJ in the Big10. The one thing Ohio St, Michigan St, Wisky, etc. can do at an elite level is play assignment defense. Maybe RichRod has learned his lesson and would be a good fit at Nebraska.

Todd Monken's getting a 3rd year at USM, which I guess they have to give him. This Mike Gundy coaching tree isn't working out so well, is it?
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:24 am

tallsy {l Wrote}:I wouldn't hire PJ in the Big10. The one thing Ohio St, Michigan St, Wisky, etc. can do at an elite level is play assignment defense. Maybe RichRod has learned his lesson and would be a good fit at Nebraska.

Todd Monken's getting a 3rd year at USM, which I guess they have to give him. This Mike Gundy coaching tree isn't working out so well, is it?

Rich Rod is a worse fit in the B10 than you believe PJ to be. Rich Rod is an excellent coach. And, while he may have ultimately been successful in the most storied program in the B10, it was a bit of a learning curve (one the Michigan fans weren't willing to give a non-Bo-pupil who was trying to install a new-fangled-non-B10 offense). RichRod needs athletes/speed... the cold/barren midwest is a very hard sell to the warm weather talent he needs. Zona is a great fit for him... so would be much of the SEC and parts of the ACC and B12.

I think, Braska will struggle to find someone better than Pellini. Not saying it is impossible, but they will likely be looking MAC/MWC-type coaches. It's feasible they could make a run at a middling ACC/B12 coach. But, I don't see any elite current college coaches going there.

As for the current openings... a lot will depend on how many times the programs get turned down by Gruden and Harbaugh, but I would bet that Schiano gets a Big 5 job in the next month or so. I think he is a backup choice for Michigan (who offered him before RichRod) after they kick the tires on guys like Beliceck. Pete Carroll, Saban and whatever other irrational options they think they can get. I think he would be a strong candidate for Nebraska. I think Florida could hire just about anyone they want... so I'd be shocked if they would drop to Schiano. But, if Jim McElwain is the other option, grabbing a better coach sitting in Tampa would make sense. Another name to keep an eye on is Golden. After giving him a massive extension to keep him from Ped State, they are suffering buyer's remorse. Rumor has it that he was at a meeting yesterday and was asked to re-shuffle his assistants. This feels like UVA and London the year after they gave him a huge extension. The point is that Golden (who has always had wanderlust) probably isn't taking too kindly to the suggestion... or the fans hating on him. I think Michigan would land him if they offered what he makes in Miami, and Nebraska would have a chance if they paid up. If Golden leaves and Schiano is still on the market... that is a lay-up.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:37 pm

The rantings of a mad man.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium