Coaching Carousel 2014/15 Edition

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Carousel 2014/15 Edition

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:48 pm

I can't wait for Rex Ryan to get fat again. You can't live in Buffalo and not get fat.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think to say that Brady thinks much about Rex Ryan is giving him too much credit. He's a decent coach, but come on. Brady is 9-4 against Rex Ryan led Jets. Jets haven't won the division since my boy Herm was coach.

It isn't necessarily about AFC East titles. It is about whether Rex made the Jets a better team as opposed to what other coaches could have done. Do the Jets win more games without Ryan? Does a different coach make the wins that the Pats got as arduous as Rex did? Looking back, and blaming Rex for not winning the regular season AFC East ... is a little bit like trying to correlate Brady failing to win a Super Bowl (despite astonishing regular season records) with having to face Rex twice a year.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:02 pm

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12171 ... m-gase-too
So this article claims that it is a two horse race between Quinn and someone named Teryl Austin. Austin is pitching that he would bring in Gase as OC (even though two have never worked together and there is otherwise no evidence that he could follow through with such a hire).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:06 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think to say that Brady thinks much about Rex Ryan is giving him too much credit. He's a decent coach, but come on. Brady is 9-4 against Rex Ryan led Jets. Jets haven't won the division since my boy Herm was coach.

It isn't necessarily about AFC East titles. It is about whether Rex made the Jets a better team as opposed to what other coaches could have done. Do the Jets win more games without Ryan? Does a different coach make the wins that the Pats got as arduous as Rex did? Looking back, and blaming Rex for not winning the regular season AFC East ... is a little bit like trying to correlate Brady failing to win a Super Bowl (despite astonishing regular season records) with having to face Rex twice a year.

Jets are a little better with Rex than they were with Herm, yes. He will make an already formidable defense with no QB into a slightly more formidable D with no QB.

Brady failing to win a SB in 2 of his 5 chances or in 5 of the 8 years that he went to the AFC title game is not really the same. Not winning enough games against all of the teams is a lot different than not winning one game against the best teams.

Pats only had "astonishing" regular seasons in 4 years that they went 14-2 or better - 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2012. Other than that they never won more than 12 games, about the same record as the other top teams entering into the playoffs.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:13 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:I can't wait for Rex Ryan to get fat again. You can't live in Buffalo and not get fat.

so since wang's dead and nospace has pride does that make you the resident fat poster now?

congrats, tubby
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:55 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Jets are a little better with Rex than they were with Herm, yes. He will make an already formidable defense with no QB into a slightly more formidable D with no QB.

Brady failing to win a SB in 2 of his 5 chances or in 5 of the 8 years that he went to the AFC title game is not really the same. Not winning enough games against all of the teams is a lot different than not winning one game against the best teams.

Pats only had "astonishing" regular seasons in 4 years that they went 14-2 or better - 2003, 2004, 2007 and 2012. Other than that they never won more than 12 games, about the same record as the other top teams entering into the playoffs.

He's the equivalent to Don Brown on offense. Only as a head coach.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby mod6A on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Not a McDaniels guy, and not sure his offense is designed for Atlanta's vertical weapons, but I think he would help get Ryan to the next level. He'd need to hire a legit veteran DC, however.

I think guys like McDaniels (and even Del Rio) whose time as head coach was marked by QB instability have the best chance of doing well if they get a second chance with an established QB. The Falcons need to make a move soon because they will lose a number of excellent assistants. For instance, if Atlanta went in the direction of Bevell, McDaniels or even Gase, I'd love to see them announce that and then quickly reach out and grab Vic Fangio before he lands in that Redskins dumpster fire.

Don't forget that Demitroff is a NE guy. He might wait to see with McDaniel, and I suspect he is going to need to wait three more weeks.

Demitroff should be fired. it is amazing he still has a job, considering the misses he has had lately, especially on defense.

rumors in atl are: rexryan said no because the falcons were dragging (arthur blank's mother died last week, he had to attend to that) and also he did not not want to work with demitroff. or he told blank he would like demitroff gone, demitroff knew this and submarined the rexryan process. as a falcon fan, i did not want rex, so even though demitroff has been bad, i am ok with this process.

do not want mcdaniels. he traded up for tebow? if i am remembering it correctly.

rumor is they are making offers for gase as OC, and keeping some other assistants ( tice and the special teams coach). which leads to the theory that they have someone already lined up that they can not announces ( hopefully the dan quinn from seattle)
OR
its a total clusterfuck and they don't know what they are doing, hiring assistants and the new coach will not have a say in his staff.

really a coin flip either way.......

amazing that this team was 6 yards away from the super bowl 2 years ago. what the f happened.

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:20 pm

Injuries and shitty defense happened.

McDaniels would help that team a lot.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:04 pm

Plus he's not getting control of player personnel this time around. That said, I wouldn't be too confident in Pioli having it either given his last few drafts in NE basically only produced the Brandon "Big Bang Clock" Merriweather
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 15, 2015 7:42 pm

Really love Coughlin rehiring Spags as the Giants DC.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:33 am

John Fox official to Bears.

On an unrelated note... Raiders are being panned by some media-ish folks (e.g. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... er=ya5nbcs) for letting the GM (instead of the owner) tell Sparano that he wasn't getting the job. Do other team's owners call candidates that they aren't hiring? Did the owner of the Niners call Fangio to tell him that they were promoting his DL coach? Honest question as I don't know. I used to hate that Al would be so involved that he was the one making every coaching decision. It seems to me that the GM is the appropriate person to make such calls.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:Really love Coughlin rehiring Spags as the Giants DC.

He's a good coach. Got killed with injuries this season.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby mod6A on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:48 pm

do not like the fox hire. very confusion.

:whalepants :whalepants
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:05 pm

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:56 pm

He is the likely outcome if Spaz and Diaco had a child.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:52 am

holy crap this guy would be considered bad with the media if he was a high school coach
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:46 am

mod6A {l Wrote}:do not like the fox hire. very confusion.

I love the hire. They've tried the never been a head coach, next hot coordinator thing four straight times and it really hasn't worked too well. Lovie did okay but the rest were train wrecks, Wannstedt, Jauron and Trestman.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Jan 17, 2015 6:59 pm

This was the first time the Bears hired a HC with prior experience since like 1954 or somewhere around there.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:58 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
mod6A {l Wrote}:do not like the fox hire. very confusion.

I love the hire. They've tried the never been a head coach, next hot coordinator thing four straight times and it really hasn't worked too well. Lovie did okay but the rest were train wrecks, Wannstedt, Jauron and Trestman.

Trestman had HC experience :dildodog
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby mod6A on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:16 am

fox strikes me as a caretaker type coach. you bring him in when you need to get over the final hump and not mess up the good stuff you already have. the bears need a lot more work then he is capable of performing.

:whalepants
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby mod6A on Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:38 pm

lots of reports that quinn to the falcons is a done deal. yeehaw. :koolaid :koolaid :koolaid :seanwilliams :koolaid

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby eaglesmith on Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:29 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:fox strikes me as a caretaker type coach. you bring him in when you need to get over the final hump and not mess up the good stuff you already have. the bears need a lot more work then he is capable of performing.

:whalepants

His history would suggest the opposite. Carolina was 2-14 when he came in, and Denver was reeling from the McDaniels' era. Folks in Denver that were happy about the firing were so precisely because they felt he got them to a very high level, but couldn't close the deal.
eaglesmith
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:01 pm

So... Doug Marrone took a job as the Jags OLine coach. What I find particularly interesting about that is that Jacksonville still doesn't have an OC (which I take to mean that the former Bills Head Coach was not good enough for the Jaguars to be a coordinator).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:02 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ines-staff
GDF is jealous that he didn't stick around BC long enough to do the same.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:15 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12198836/jim-harbaugh-son-jay-harbaugh-joins-michigan-wolverines-staff

i'm pretty close to changing JDF's name to FHCJDF
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:So... Doug Marrone took a job as the Jags OLine coach. What I find particularly interesting about that is that Jacksonville still doesn't have an OC (which I take to mean that the former Bills Head Coach was not good enough for the Jaguars to be a coordinator).

So... as a follow up... the guy who the Jags like better as OC than the head coach who quit on the Bills is Greg Olson. The same Greg Olson who was the OC of the Raiders (and finished this season impressively with an offense ranked 32nd).
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12202 ... oordinator
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:26 am

dear higgi,

mo'j is an insufferable raiders fan. he entertains all attempts to bring other teams down to the miserbality that is the raiders.

love always,

tre (rhymes with "nyg for me")
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:35 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:dear higgi,

mo'j is an insufferable raiders fan. he entertains all attempts to bring other teams down to the miserbality that is the raiders.

love always,

tre (rhymes with "nyg for me")

But I like that we can make him miserable not only about the Raiders, but each of the other 31 teams, including but not limited to, the Jags and fucking Bucs.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:57 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12198836/jim-harbaugh-son-jay-harbaugh-joins-michigan-wolverines-staff

i'm pretty close to changing JDF's name to FHCJDF

Speaking of him, new OC for the Browns - http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/21/browns-hire-john-defilippo-as-offensive-coordinator/.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:12 am

poor bassy can't get a break
TobaccoRoadEagle