Today's Globe Article on BC Sports in Boston

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Today's Globe Article on BC Sports in Boston

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:01 pm

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/2 ... story.html

Going beyond the pro-town mantra, but still mostly focusing on the usual stuff. Fair little bit on local media's failings.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Re: Today's Globe Article on BC Sports in Boston

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:19 pm

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/2014/11/25/why-boston-college-sports-barely-matter-here/y9IKsgfT4Pvjl0gifVTgbI/story.html

Going beyond the pro-town mantra, but still mostly focusing on the usual stuff. Fair little bit on local media's failings.

Boston.com is not the Globe anymore, it's the free blog. It's where they put controversial hacks like Wilbur. They make you pay for real journalism.

Regardless, that blog was worthless.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:25 pm

That was rambling and offered nothing insightful. Plus the guy missed a real opportunity to make his point with our basketball team.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:32 pm

The answer is culture. People don't care, and you need not look further than the BC/UMass game for evidence of that.

I don't put any responsibility on the media at all. If more people watched and attended college games around here, the media would cover the college teams more. That's how it works.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:33 pm

the only good thing about boston.com is the comment section of political articles
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:47 pm

The reality is that I like BC, my old man went there, and I attended grad school there, and even without kids, I have trouble finding time to watch BC sports, let alone attend, when I am devoting 3 hours to the Pats the next afternoon and most of the summer to the Sox. It's the same reason I can't be bothered with the NBA or regular season hockey, and that I did not even know that the Revolution are 90 minutes away from playing for a title until yesterday.

There's too much shit vying for your time when you are a Boston sports fan these days. I fit BC football in, and would fit some basketball in if it wasn't such a shit show, but I get why people with no connection don't care.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:28 pm

That was unreadable.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:16 pm

Yeah I think Teddy's been hitting the sauce a little early today too. :chewbanka
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:32 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Yeah I think Teddy's been hitting the sauce a little early today too. :chewbanka

I don't know many people who waste their summer evenings watching regular season baseball. I can understand attending a few games a year, but watching a significant portion of a 162-game schedule on TV is just stupid.

Pro sports suck for the most part. Nothing beats the pageantry of college football. Admittedly, the pageantry part of the BC football experience needs to improve greatly. Not going to rehash the reasons here.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:36 pm

Because you like the sport? And college sports is only good if you're a football or basketball fan. People that are fans of the other 1.5 major sports need to largely get their fix elsewhere.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:36 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Yeah I think Teddy's been hitting the sauce a little early today too. :chewbanka

I don't know many people who waste their summer evenings watching regular season baseball. I can understand attending a few games a year, but watching a significant portion of a 162-game schedule on TV is just stupid.

Pro sports suck for the most part. Nothing beats the pageantry of college football. Admittedly, the pageantry part of the BC football experience needs to improve greatly. Not going to rehash the reasons here.

college football is for pussies.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Return to Alumni Stadium