They let Bordner throw a pass....

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: They let Bordner throw a pass....

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:54 am

tallsy {l Wrote}:You don't make that call on 2 and 9. You only make that call if you're comfortable with the down and distance if it doesn't work.

What is the correct down and distance for a surprise play? If we ran the third down Murphy option-read on 2nd down, you really think a pass would have more chance to catch them off guard on 3rd and 8??? Again... on our final set of downs, we ran 2 plays between the tackles for 1-yard each. If we ran a third with similar limited success, people would be at Day's throat "settling for te FG". Regardless of your thoughts on the call (one I wouldn't have made), bottom line is that the ball hit the receiver in both hands at the 2-yard line and it was dropped.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:03 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Fuck Addazio, I am done, wort coaching job ever.

Preserved.

Over/under on ballgames drink total: 11

Dominated a game they lost. Weak sauce. That's an excuse train waiting to happen

Earlier this week, teddy had difficulty understanding the word "none"... today, it's "dominated". BC's O may have dominated FSU's D, but BC's D were equally dominated by FSU's O... and, while BC's special teams was not keystone-cops-funny, it sure as shit wasn't better than (let alone dominant over) FSU's unit.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby tallsy on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:31 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
tallsy {l Wrote}:You don't make that call on 2 and 9. You only make that call if you're comfortable with the down and distance if it doesn't work.

What is the correct down and distance for a surprise play? If we ran the third down Murphy option-read on 2nd down, you really think a pass would have more chance to catch them off guard on 3rd and 8??? Again... on our final set of downs, we ran 2 plays between the tackles for 1-yard each. If we ran a third with similar limited success, people would be at Day's throat "settling for te FG". Regardless of your thoughts on the call (one I wouldn't have made), bottom line is that the ball hit the receiver in both hands at the 2-yard line and it was dropped.

For BC and other teams with marginal passing games 2 and 6 or under (also, 1st and less than 10 after some kind of penalty). 3rd and 6 is tough but not unmakable for this team. Also, it gives you an options if you get only a couple on 3rd, to go for it. If you are good passing team, you can also run trick plays on 1st and 10 because 2nd and 10 is no big deal.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:13 am

branchinator {l Wrote}:I'm glad that Josh Bordner is a good guy because he's a fucking awful football player and I can't wait to see his useless ass graduate. Can't catch and can't throw even though he used to be a fucking QB! I like what Murphy has done this year but it's absolutely pathetic that we can't simply drop back and pass for an 8-9 yard gain. This isn't Harvard/Yale from 1932. We will always be mediocre without the threat of the pass. There's a reason why Nebraska fucking sucks now.

Priceless. branchinator is almost as stupid as ballgame.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby branchinator on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:31 am

Nope. Nothing I said was untrue. Josh Bordner is a horrible football player and it sucks for BC to have horrible football players in key roles. The call could have been great had Day had an actual player with talent try to execute it.
branchinator
Cushing Hall

Postby MaxxPower325 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:40 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
branchinator {l Wrote}:I'm glad that Josh Bordner is a good guy because he's a fucking awful football player and I can't wait to see his useless ass graduate. Can't catch and can't throw even though he used to be a fucking QB! I like what Murphy has done this year but it's absolutely pathetic that we can't simply drop back and pass for an 8-9 yard gain. This isn't Harvard/Yale from 1932. We will always be mediocre without the threat of the pass. There's a reason why Nebraska fucking sucks now.

Priceless. branchinator is almost as stupid as ballgame.

Could not agree more. It is not Josh Bordner's fault that Josh Bordner is the best option available to this team right now.

How do you not give him a ton of credit for coming back, changing positions and actually doing a terrific job at his primary role, blocking. He is not a QB, and when he has been asked to be one has unfortunately proven why.

I have a lot of respect for players like him that have helped bridge the gap between the disaster that was Spaz and where we are now. He may be an inadequate player at times, but the type of criticism some people level at him is uncalled for.
MaxxPower325
Campion Hall

Postby eagletx on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:33 am

My only gripe: Knoll makes a 40 yard FG earlier in game. If you are going to try another, why then go to Howell????
PS it contradicted what Dazz said he would do.....really perplexing.
eagletx
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:31 am

I considered it 4 down territory so I didnt like the call, you are getting 5 yards a rush, the d-line is tired and you want to kill time. The way they were playing, I have no doubt they would have made it.

Also, why kick a long FG on a wet field?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Corporal Funishment on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:22 pm

Bordner's pass hit Murphy in the hands. If Murphy threw a pass and it hit Bordner in the hands, would you blame Murphy for the incompletion?
Proud member of the War Room Posse

EO "Worst Poster" award winner, '17
Unapologetic Catholic
LOCK HER UP - BUILD THE WALL - GOD IN SCHOOLS - BENGHAZI - FAKE BIRTH CERTIFICATE - PEDO CABAL- WIN THE WAR ON XMAS
Corporal Funishment
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:49 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:Nope. Nothing I said was untrue. Josh Bordner is a horrible football player and it sucks for BC to have horrible football players in key roles. The call could have been great had Day had an actual player with talent try to execute it.

I agree with the thought here although it's written horribly. Not his fault that he's the best option left. A good throw is 6 points Murphy was wide open
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:50 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I considered it 4 down territory so I didnt like the call, you are getting 5 yards a rush, the d-line is tired and you want to kill time. The way they were playing, I have no doubt they would have made it.

I have plenty of doubt. Hillman into the line with 9 in the box wasn't going to keep working for another 30 yards.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:10 pm

Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Bordner's pass hit Murphy in the hands. If Murphy threw a pass and it hit Bordner in the hands, would you blame Murphy for the incompletion?

this
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I considered it 4 down territory so I didnt like the call, you are getting 5 yards a rush, the d-line is tired and you want to kill time. The way they were playing, I have no doubt they would have made it.

I have plenty of doubt. Hillman into the line with 9 in the box wasn't going to keep working for another 30 yards.

Even if he just got 9 on the next 3 carries and another set of downs. Burn the clock a bit and then try an closer FG.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:35 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Even if he just got 9 on the next 3 carries and another set of downs. Burn the clock a bit and then try an closer FG.

and who's to say it wouldn't? it worked for the first 70 yards
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:55 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
Corporal Funishment {l Wrote}:Bordner's pass hit Murphy in the hands. If Murphy threw a pass and it hit Bordner in the hands, would you blame Murphy for the incompletion?

this

This. Bottom line is that Murphy is more of a WR than Bordner ever will be.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:00 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We ran two such plays for a grand total of two yards in that last set of downs. If we ran up the middle also on 2nd down for a similar gain, this place would be ablaze with comments about us playing not to lose.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We ran two such plays for a grand total of two yards in that last set of downs. If we ran up the middle also on 2nd down for a similar gain, this place would be ablaze with comments about us playing not to lose.

no. people would be competent and would say when you've had a 9 minute drive by rushing the ball the ENTIRE way its okay to stick with what is working.

and I'm not suggesting it had to be a run up the middle. personally would've loved to see a bit more of murphy keepers yesterday.

im all about bitching but your bitches regarding this game make no sense.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:37 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

no. people would be competent and would say when you've had a 9 minute drive by rushing the ball the ENTIRE way its okay to stick with what is working.

and I'm not suggesting it had to be a run up the middle. personally would've loved to see a bit more of murphy keepers yesterday.

There is simply no effing way people would have been Ok with that. None. I would have been OK and wish they did do it. But, I'm someone who has said all year that vinnyhiggins has been dead wrong about needing to be more aggressive. That's precisely when we run into trouble. I agree that I would have liked to seen Murphy keep it more. Would have loved to seen the results if he didn't fumble in the 3rd by running into Alston... a lot of green on that play.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:55 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

There is simply no effing way people would have been Ok with that. None. I would have been OK and wish they did do it. But, I'm someone who has said all year that vinnyhiggins has been dead wrong about needing to be more aggressive. That's precisely when we run into trouble. I agree that I would have liked to seen Murphy keep it more. Would have loved to seen the results if he didn't fumble in the 3rd by running into Alston... a lot of green on that play.

Agreed here people would have been furious with the Hillman dive play
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:13 pm

Outlow was gashing them, why assume that all the sudden he'd be stuffed? Their D line was not like Clemson's or Louisville's
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:32 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

There is a big difference between playing to win by passing on second down, and playing to win by running a WR pass option to the QB on 2nd and 9 just out of realistic FG range in a 17-17 game against the #1 team in the country.

Not saying they needed to run Hilliman into the line 3 times, but that play call was ridiculous after what was an otherwise well-called game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:26 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

There is a big difference between playing to win by passing on second down, and playing to win by running a WR pass option to the QB on 2nd and 9 just out of realistic FG range in a 17-17 game against the #1 team in the country.

Not saying they needed to run Hilliman into the line 3 times, but that play call was ridiculous after what was an otherwise well-called game.

Alston sweep, Outlaw off tackle, dump off to Crimins, I am ok with all these options on that play.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:34 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Alston sweep, Outlaw off tackle, dump off to Crimins, I am ok with all these options on that play.

Me too. Especially Outlow off tackle the way he was running.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium