Indoor Practice Facility

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Indoor Practice Facility

Postby Eaglekeeper on Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:56 pm

Welcome to Boston! It's 40 million just got the indoor field, essentially a warehouse building. Their projections to renovate the stadium to bring it up to code and add in new boxes and luxury seating are at 200 million. Add in practice facility for basketball and a practice hockey rink and you are looking at a lot of money. The Red Sox spent over 200 million on Fenway Park.

In fairness to BC they are at a huge disadvantage in facilities due to the insane cost of construction. They should have built the indoor field immediately after building Yawkey with the money that they were getting from John Harrington. Do nothing for the past 10 years is costing BC millions in increased construction cost.

I just think that BC cannot wait for donations to come in before starting construction. We are already way behind in facilities by not having an indoor field especially in New England. BC will have to borrow money and pay down the principal as the donations come in.

The hockey team just got a 7 million dollar donation that will be used to renovate the locker room, provide charter flights among other wants. I'm not sure but the new bus might have been paid for by this donor. I wish the 7 million could have been used for the down payment on the indoor field.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Two word to cut costs: non-union labor
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:42 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Two word to cut costs: non-union labor

I look forward to the nerds protesting the use of non-Union labor. Micro-aggression!
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:04 pm

BostonCollege1 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Two word to cut costs: non-union labor

I look forward to the nerds protesting the use of non-Union labor. Micro-aggression!

When they start donating, they can start bitching.

BC uses union labor for everything anyway.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sat Dec 26, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm counting the eventual need to replace Conte Forum in 12 years when it will be 40 years old.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:34 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I'm counting the eventual need to replace Conte Forum in 12 years when it will be 40 years old.

Conte is still pretty good for hockey. It's awful for basketball
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:09 pm

Conte sucks for actually playing hockey.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:13 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Conte sucks for actually playing hockey.

One of my friends said that what's bad about it is that the boards bump right up against the concrete, so getting checked into the boards is pretty painful.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:16 pm

It's more that the ice is shit because they have to share with basketball. And the maroon seats don't help.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:13 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:I'm counting the eventual need to replace Conte Forum in 12 years when it will be 40 years old.

So even if BC wanted to replace it, where is the new one going to be built?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:14 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:It's more that the ice is shit because they have to share with basketball. And the maroon seats don't help.

Every multi purpose arena battles this, why is it so much worse at BC?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:50 pm

Because it's BC? I don't know. All I know is I hated playing at Conte.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:23 pm

As part of the final renovation of Alumni Stadium, razing Conte will be necessary. BC needs at some point in the future a first class indoor arena. There are many functions that Conte is used for now outside of hockey and hoops where BC could really use a new arena. I figure in 12 years when Conte is 40 years old BC should be ready to build a new arena.

The location could be in the area where the mods and rec plex are now with the student union building on one side and the new rec center on the other side. The practice facilities for most of the sports should be built on the 24 acres on Hammond Pond Parkway. There is no reason not to build an athletes training village with facilities such as the practice rink that can be rented out to the public. Part of the problem getting BC to build practice facilities is because they see them as only expenses, not revenue producers . There are an endless list of exercise and training businesses that are looking to rent these types of facilities. The location is ideal because you will not have the public coming onto the main campus. It's all recreational uses and it's enough space for all of the sports teams still on the main campus. BC can fundraise and build at their own pace.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:08 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:As part of the final renovation of Alumni Stadium, razing Conte will be necessary. BC needs at some point in the future a first class indoor arena. There are many functions that Conte is used for now outside of hockey and hoops where BC could really use a new arena. I figure in 12 years when Conte is 40 years old BC should be ready to build a new arena.

The location could be in the area where the mods and rec plex are now with the student union building on one side and the new rec center on the other side. The practice facilities for most of the sports should be built on the 24 acres on Hammond Pond Parkway. There is no reason not to build an athletes training village with facilities such as the practice rink that can be rented out to the public. Part of the problem getting BC to build practice facilities is because they see them as only expenses, not revenue producers . There are an endless list of exercise and training businesses that are looking to rent these types of facilities. The location is ideal because you will not have the public coming onto the main campus. It's all recreational uses and it's enough space for all of the sports teams still on the main campus. BC can fundraise and build at their own pace.

You post relatively intelligent things like this every once in a while...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:36 am

It's depressing when our motto is every to excel and our President just views athletics as a money loser. Athletics is a big part of the entertainment industry and we have many wealthy alums in pro sports. It's great exposure for BC, top level football and basketball teams can only be a positive for BC. It's foolish to waste an ACC franchise by our President being so negative. When you factor in the scholarship cost we are losing money, but even at that we still are only losing money because of poor management. Athletics has the ability to make millions good management.

Follow our motto and you can't go wrong.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:32 pm

If money wasn't an object the best option would probably be a new hockey arena, then once it's complete overhaul Conte to be more basketball friendly. Not having to share space with hoops in the new barn (other than while Conte is being renovated, which shouldn't take more than one season) should fix the embarrassing issue of the hockey teams having to practice at high school rinks, and once football and hockey have dedicated facilities the hoops teams could take full ownership of Yawkey.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby BCdee on Mon Dec 28, 2015 6:05 pm

I heard they were going to build a retractable dome over the Rez, freeze it for hockey and then in the summer use it for mock naval battles.
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:40 pm

We can't all be Coppell High School in Texas, y'all

https://twitter.com/Charlie_Burris/stat ... 5253408768
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:52 pm

"duda" on TOS says a facility is "100% confirmed" from an "impeccable source" and that an announcement is coming in the next 30 days.

Not sure of his credibility on the poopee scale
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby basselope on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:49 pm

I heard same thing a little while ago....
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sat Jan 16, 2016 9:48 pm

What's most interesting now is that the TOS poster is hinting the facility will replace the Plex, rather than go on Shea where the existing practice field is.
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:50 pm

I guess you guys are going through Corners withdrawal post-banning. But, here's the thing... BC isn't a construction project away from being good at sports.

We are a Marin-less BOT selecting a new non-sports-hating Prez who hires a competent AD without clownshoes and a red nose who hires coaches who don't suck... away from being a building away from being good at sports.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby angrychicken on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:37 am

They can "announce" whatever they want. Fact is, unless someone in Chestnut Hill harvests some balls within the next 30 days, nothing will be built for years. BC should have the most powerful voice in the neighborhood, but they cower to the whims of dirty hippies and the city.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:57 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I guess you guys are going through Corners withdrawal post-banning. But, here's the thing... BC isn't a construction project away from being good at sports.

We are a Marin-less BOT selecting a new non-sports-hating Prez who hires a competent AD without clownshoes and a red nose who hires coaches who don't suck... away from being a building away from being good at sports.

It's this, but they need an indoor facility.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:55 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I guess you guys are going through Corners withdrawal post-banning. But, here's the thing... BC isn't a construction project away from being good at sports.

We need about 100,000 more people to actually care about BC. Then stuff might get fixed.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:49 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

We need about 100,000 more people to actually care about BC. Then stuff might get fixed.

If BC builds an indoor facility, I don't buy that they don't have what they need to succeed, assuming success is soid 8-9 win seasons. If success is the ACC Title or something forget it.

They're paying market value and hiring good coaches.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:02 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:"duda" on TOS says a facility is "100% confirmed" from an "impeccable source" and that an announcement is coming in the next 30 days.

I heard all of this as well from credible sources recently.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:11 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
ILikeBC {l Wrote}:"duda" on TOS says a facility is "100% confirmed" from an "impeccable source" and that an announcement is coming in the next 30 days.

:bored
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:24 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

:bored

yes - i also assume it was nick
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby xu9697 on Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:54 pm

So we are @ 26 days now, right?

Can we get a countdown clock going on the site?
xu9697
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium