Indoor Practice Facility

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Indoor Practice Facility

Postby 2014 Eagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:34 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:Presented without commentary from an EA poster:

the expansion of the Beacon St Garage.

Is this new?

Nope, always in the plan, another full row of cars on all levels.

Towards Shea or towards the Plex? I image they will do a lot of structural work as well because it is not capable to hold a full tailgate load presently.

Onto Shea. Wonder which of the practice fields shown here will be indoors, or if both would be put indoors.

I will say that while most of these renovations are more or less correct- the plan has changed somewhat since 2007 in certain other regards (idk what the changes are, but I have heard from my times on the heights that the current 10 year plan looks different). For example- there was no planned construction on St Marys, but obviously that is under work as we speak.
Go Eags
2014 Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:02 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If BC wants to take football seriously, I'd suggest they get one of these built in the immediate future.

The team having to go to Gillette to practice is absurd and awful for recruiting.

Daz is also upset by this issue.

Addazio mentioned this in his press conference yesterday totally unprovoked. This is the kind of crap that would make us lose Addazio to a mediocre offer/program. BC honestly deserves to feel any negative effect from not having a facility for dragging their feet. At least release a plan, something to show fans/recruits, just to pretend that you give a shit

I posted a few times earlier in the year, but schools like Northwestern have plans for one and Wake was getting attention for theirs going up during the Thursday night game vs Clemson. Maryland is also converting their old basketball arena into a indoor facility and I believe VT's is in process as well as UVA.

lets see adazini get 8 wins in a season before we worry about him going to alabama to replace saban.

Well I agree that it is humorous to envision Addazio getting a top tier job, I do have some concern about losing him to an under performing school with more resources. I'm not sure exactly what job that would be, so this is a pretty vague concern.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:04 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:If BC wants to take football seriously, I'd suggest they get one of these built in the immediate future.

The team having to go to Gillette to practice is absurd and awful for recruiting.

Addazio mentioned this in his press conference yesterday totally unprovoked. This is the kind of crap that would make us lose Addazio to a mediocre offer/program. BC honestly deserves to feel any negative effect from not having a facility for dragging their feet. At least release a plan, something to show fans/recruits, just to pretend that you give a shit

I posted a few times earlier in the year, but schools like Northwestern have plans for one and Wake was getting attention for theirs going up during the Thursday night game vs Clemson. Maryland is also converting their old basketball arena into a indoor facility and I believe VT's is in process as well as UVA.

lets see adazini get 8 wins in a season before we worry about him going to alabama to replace saban.

Well I agree that it is humorous to envision Addazio getting a top tier job, I do have some concern about losing him to an under performing school with more resources. I'm not sure exactly what job that would be, so this is a pretty vague concern.

Would he jump to replace Beamer?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:10 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

uconn? temple? villanova? kentucky state?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:10 pm

To continue posting unsubstantiated rumors from EA:

a few things:

BC has had the master plan approved by the Boston Redevolpement Authority. It is very specific in terms of order of priorities. They are currently in the beginning stages of building a dorm at St. Thomas Moore. The old law school across from St. Ignatius. the building has been razed, they are putting a dorm in that will hold 494 beds. They hope to have this ready for the beginning of the school year for 2016.

Next is the renovation of 2000 Comm Ave. They have been given permission to start the process of remodeling the rooms there. the original agreement noted that BC could not be undertaking two projects at the same time. They got an exemption on this as it is labeled a remodeling rather than new construction. They are planning on 506 beds (to make an even 1,000 on the two new projects). Same goal here in that they are hoping for the start of the 2016 school year.

After this is when it is going to get interesting. BC has listed its next project as the sports fields, including the long discussed baseball field. My understanding is that BC has asked for permission to build the football practice facility on Shea field as part of the "sports field" upgrade. The plans for the football practice facility were not very well done. It was not approved by the BRA, but not denied either. there were some size/space issues as well as terms of use matters that need to be rectified, but the understanding is that once the plans get submitted they will be approved and everything will be fine.

One of the issues is that BC is putting a new dorm on the side of Shea Field. They want the construction of the dorms and the practice field to be simultaneous, but that hasn't been approved yet. The BRA would like dorms first. this needs to be resolved.

Finally BC is taking down Edmunds and putting a RexPlec there. they are going to take down the current rexplex, but haven't decided what they are going to do with the space yet.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:14 pm

2014 Eagle {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
AdamBC {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:Presented without commentary from an EA poster:

the expansion of the Beacon St Garage.

Is this new?

Nope, always in the plan, another full row of cars on all levels.

Towards Shea or towards the Plex? I image they will do a lot of structural work as well because it is not capable to hold a full tailgate load presently.

Onto Shea. Wonder which of the practice fields shown here will be indoors, or if both would be put indoors.

I will say that while most of these renovations are more or less correct- the plan has changed somewhat since 2007 in certain other regards (idk what the changes are, but I have heard from my times on the heights that the current 10 year plan looks different). For example- there was no planned construction on St Marys, but obviously that is under work as we speak.

I think that when it comes to construction in and around Shea, the school is going to wait for a resolution of the disposition of the Reservoir and Beer Can Hill (which is something the University has been attempting to buy since the late 70s/early 80s). Acquiring that piece of land would greatly change how the dorms, Rec center, indoor facility and fields would be laid out.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:22 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:To continue posting unsubstantiated rumors from EA:

Next is the renovation of 2000 Comm Ave. They have been given permission to start the process of remodeling the rooms there. the original agreement noted that BC could not be undertaking two projects at the same time. They got an exemption on this as it is labeled a remodeling rather than new construction. They are planning on 506 beds (to make an even 1,000 on the two new projects). Same goal here in that they are hoping for the start of the 2016 school year.

I wish I saved the email from BC in the fall (?) of 2007 stating that 2000 would be part of the housing lottery for 2009-10 housing
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:39 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:To continue posting unsubstantiated rumors from EA:

a few things:

BC has had the master plan approved by the Boston Redevolpement Authority. It is very specific in terms of order of priorities. They are currently in the beginning stages of building a dorm at St. Thomas Moore. The old law school across from St. Ignatius. the building has been razed, they are putting a dorm in that will hold 494 beds. They hope to have this ready for the beginning of the school year for 2016.

After this is when it is going to get interesting. BC has listed its next project as the sports fields, including the long discussed baseball field. My understanding is that BC has asked for permission to build the football practice facility on Shea field as part of the "sports field" upgrade. The plans for the football practice facility were not very well done. It was not approved by the BRA, but not denied either. there were some size/space issues as well as terms of use matters that need to be rectified, but the understanding is that once the plans get submitted they will be approved and everything will be fine.

One of the issues is that BC is putting a new dorm on the side of Shea Field. They want the construction of the dorms and the practice field to be simultaneous, but that hasn't been approved yet. The BRA would like dorms first. this needs to be resolved.

Finally BC is taking down Edmunds and putting a RexPlec there. they are going to take down the current rexplex, but haven't decided what they are going to do with the space yet.

a few logistical issues with said gossip:

bc won't take down edmonds until the replacement is up on shea. they will not build a replacement until the replacement fields are completed on brighton.

bc won't tear down the plex until a replacement is already standing.

therefore, they should not worry about what they will do with said plex space as it's replacement will not be standing any time soon.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:44 pm

so putting it all together:

1. the only things that can be worked on right now are the vinnyflyingtomatoguccihat memorial dorm that is expected to open Fall of 2016. 2000 they will hope to complete at the same time, but let me add they were working on said "conversion" when i was living there in 2010.

2. they cant so much as break ground on any construction until both of those projects are finished. again, at earliest 22 months from now.

using the logic $1000 a week for 4 years at BC taught me, methinks were not looking at any sort of facilities changes in the short to medium term.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:02 pm

FWIW, the ResLife website says 2000 Comm Ave will be closed in Fall 2015 and re-open Fall 2016.

http://www.bc.edu/offices/reslife/offcampus.html
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:09 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:FWIW, the ResLife website says 2000 Comm Ave will be closed in Fall 2015 and re-open Fall 2016.

your little lblink also points out they are going to start classes 8/31 next year. why do they not learn that as long as they force students to live off campus, this is as horrible an idea as chicks with weeners
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:11 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:FWIW, the ResLife website says 2000 Comm Ave will be closed in Fall 2015 and re-open Fall 2016.

your little lblink also points out they are going to start classes 8/31 next year. why do they not learn that as long as they force students to live off campus, this is as horrible an idea as chicks with weeners

:x
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:22 pm

Why does Boston have a Redevelopment Authority? Bigger question how can they set the priorities of BC?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:46 pm

My solution is really simple, but I'm certain will be unpopular:

The indoor practice facility should be built where the mods and plex are now. The mods should all be razed. They are a horrible waste of space and you could build a nice big dorm attached to the indoor practice facility that would fill the existing mods/plex footprint.

Shea should not be built on any more. Soon enough it will be the only remaining green space on that campus.

It's sad that I never know Moore Hall had the law school in it. I learn something new from this Board every day.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:54 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:The indoor practice facility should be built where the mods and plex are now. The mods should all be razed. They are a horrible waste of space and you could build a nice big dorm attached to the indoor practice facility that would fill the existing mods/plex footprint.

The older I get, the more I come around on this idea, especially now that the mods is a shell of its former self.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:13 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:The indoor practice facility should be built where the mods and plex are now. The mods should all be razed. They are a horrible waste of space and you could build a nice big dorm attached to the indoor practice facility that would fill the existing mods/plex footprint.

The older I get, the more I come around on this idea, especially now that the mods is a shell of its former self.

As I posted elsewhere... if you aren't allowed to party in the Mods, then there is no reason to have them.

I think Shea is a good location for the indoor facility and practice fields. However, I'd suggest that when they tear down the Mods and Plex that they use the resulting land as open green space (and tailgating on gameday). Essentially... moving that space more towards the middle of lower campus (and next to the proposed Student Center).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

As I posted elsewhere... if you aren't allowed to party in the Mods, then there is no reason to have them.

I think Shea is a good location for the indoor facility and practice fields. However, I'd suggest that when they tear down the Mods and Plex that they use the resulting land as open green space (and tailgating on gameday). Essentially... moving that space more towards the middle of lower campus (and next to the proposed Student Center).

This.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:18 pm

If edmonds is being taken down at some point, couldnt the school build a recreation complex at the base of the new dorm to be placed where edmonds currently stands ? If you were able to consolidate the mods and the recreation complex into one dorm location (by building up) it would then open all the space where the current rec plex/mods/robsham theatre lot is to build an indoor facility (directly across from Yawkey) and have plenty of parking for football as well as for the general student population year round (minus 7 saturdays a year).

I still think its crazy to not just put the facility alongside alumni (on shea while having the 2 practice fields going out from the side of the facility towards the res) and basically finish off yawkey aroudn the sides to connect it (closing the corners with offices or suites or media rooms NOT MORE SEATS). It would still leave room for the planned dorms and practice fields. If that means the parking garage (which you cant fill to capacity for weight reasons) has to go, then so be it. Im sure the few cars that park there can be put somewhere else during gamedays.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:29 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

This.

I agree with the HJS proposal as well. But...would probably never happen.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby shockdoct on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:39 pm

This was the intended result of the administration's actions in the mid to late 2000s. I watched the mods transform from the place where all students gathered before every game to a complete ghost town.

Once they ceased letting underclassmen (that were under 21) into the mods before football games it became very apparent that their goal was to kill any actual enjoyment.
That belief was further confirmed upon hearing rumors that that they were not even letting people into the Mod housing lottery who had been written up in the previous 3 years.

I imagine the treasured memory of the mods for current :geek: is that dance show during finals in the mod facing Walsh/Edmonds.

As I noted in another thread is that an interesting by-product of this decision to limit underclassmen into the mods has resulted in them flooding Shea tailgates run by upperclassmen who have abandoned the mods entirely.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:48 pm

while normally i love to attack the fucking nerds that ruined alma mater it does seem there are still some diamonds in the rough. how do underclassmen get a spot on shea?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:55 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:while normally i love to attack the fucking nerds that ruined alma mater it does seem there are still some diamonds in the rough. how do underclassmen get a spot on shea?

If you are graduate from the last decade, shea spots are only $1750. Split it up among a big group and the cost is fairly minimal.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:00 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:while normally i love to attack the fucking nerds that ruined alma mater it does seem there are still some diamonds in the rough. how do upperclassmen get a spot on shea?

If you are graduate from the last decade, shea spots are only $1750. Split it up among a big group and the cost is fairly minimal.

i get that but if you are still in school... as an upperclassmen... you are not a graduate. does the nerd rate for shea apply to them as well? if it does, i see the flaw in the school's plan
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:07 pm

The flaw in the school's plan is that it is fucking stupid. You don't have to be Sherlock Holmes to deduce that, TRE (rhymes with "Watson")
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:07 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:while normally i love to attack the fucking nerds that ruined alma mater it does seem there are still some diamonds in the rough. how do upperclassmen get a spot on shea?

i get that but if you are still in school... as an upperclassmen... you are not a graduate. does the nerd rate for shea apply to them as well? if it does, i see the flaw in the school's plan

majority of population of shea is:

1. families who have tailgates w kids there who don't care for bc rules and let their siblings & their friends consume alcohol.
2. young alum who have tailgates w friends who generally didn't care for bc rules while at school & encourage having a good time.
3. leeches who remotely know someone who has a strong connection to #1 or #2

put those together and pit it against the area formerly known as a fun place and you see why everyone goes to shea.

despite having a sibling while at school who resided in the mods, i couldn't tailgate with said sibling who i had been going to games with & tailgating with for years unless a parent was there to escort me in. had said sibling lived in literally any other dorm area on campus, i could've spent time with him and nobody would've blinked an eye.

due to the fact that i didn't have one male friend or friend of friend who got a mod as we all got at least one write up for drinking alcohol as college students, i can firmly say I've enjoyed all the tailgates I've had on shea field exponentially more than any tailgate i ever was at in the mods as a junior / senior.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:15 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:

That belief was further confirmed upon hearing rumors that that they were not even letting people into the Mod housing lottery who had been written up in the previous 3 years.

What? What % of students, esp male students, have not been written up once through three years at BC?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:16 pm

for my class, the mods was 68% female. that number is fact from someone in relief.

what said person also told me re housing was that there was a "points" system that was very basic...it was something along the lines of:

1 pt for 1 writeup / issue
3 pts for 2nd writeup /issue
6 pts for 3rd writeup / issue

they simply summated the points in your 6 (or block then divided by 2) and if you were over a certain number you were automatically disqualified from potentially getting a mod

finally, i would venture a guess that if the campus is now 25% ahana, my senior year there was far more than 8% of the mod community that was male ahana (i.e. proportions became skewed for you non :ugeek: ) needless to say, they weren't firing up the grill at 9 am on gamedays
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby talon on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:53 pm

could they drain the reservoir and build a james bond supervillian type underwater lair/practice facility and fill it back up?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:00 pm

i had no clue about the law school either, learn something new here every day.

when i was applying for a mod the rule was if someone had been put on housing probation couldn't get a mod. there were minimal ahana people in the mods, they were all in the gate.

i've been around the mods before tailgating has started for USC & Louisville and I agree, it's time to tear them down. The nerds just don't use them.

Regarding the practice facility, Shea makes sense. Not sure how much more you'll need to build beyond the existing practice fields.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:03 pm

i will say I'm scared to see what the place looks like when they get to 100% on campus housing & the mods go down....it'll be a completely different experience, and probably one that is much much worse
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium